• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

Majukun

Will that work? Because Google play just says that the game is incompatible with my phone.

most of the time google play signals game as inncompatible when they are not,mainly because the company that released it never bothered to check some kind of smartphone

you can try...takes zero effort and if it doesn't work for some reason at least you tried

Nosgotham

Why does everyone hate Team Instinct? I'm constantly getting ridiculed by friends. Both online and off.

haters gonna hate. i found a lot of instincts locally. im in a facebook group for instinct too, we meet up at certain areas to take gyms together. i'm typically a very introverted person so the fact that i'm socializing due to this app is crazy

Quonny

The max Cp potential is tied to your trainer level. Explain what you'd have done differently and I'll update the language in that section to be more clear :/

To be fair, it is worded strangely. The fact that it's in the evolve section is a bit confusing. Appreciate the work you've done, just offering some feedback.

Evolving Pokémon also gives them a CP boost, and the potential of the new result is based on your trainer level.

This makes it sound like if you evolve a Pokemon after waiting a few trainer levels, it'll be stronger than if you evolved it when you caught it. Instead, I'd change the wording to:

Evolving Pokémon also gives them a CP boost, but the strength of the evolved Pokemon is based on it's relative position on the bar. If you evolve an Eevee when it's CP is in the middle of the CP arc, the resulting Pokemon will be in the middle of the CP arc. However, since the CP cap increases with trainer level, the relative location of the CP arc will lessen and lessen. Therefore, some people wait until they're trainer level is higher and catch a Pokemon with high CP when it is caught, thus saving them stardust.

Obviously this needs editing, but I can see how it is confusing.

Majukun

I choose the red team because it's the dominant one in my town..basically all the gyms i can see from my house are red..if i had chosen another color it would have been me against the world

Chaos17

Did I just saw a stealth release on Facebook in Egypt and they didn't even announced it themself...

5mEQ1oL.png

Same with no official annoucement about asian countries so it's "hidden" in the comments

CnK3hH4WIAAFQ9h.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/PokemonGO/

Falchion

All the west coasters just got off work so the servers melted. Every....single......day.....

I choose the red team because it's the dominant one in my town..basically all the gyms i can see from my house are red..if i choose another color it would have been me against the world

Squad.

arimanius

All the west coasters just got off work so the servers melted. Every....single......day.....

Squad.

I'm in CST and I can tell when west coasters wake up because the servers become horrible. Before that everything is so speedy lol

Can't pick up any new item.
Just hot the Max item count each is 350.
i have about 210 pokeball and i am discarding them by the dozen to pick up new items.

:| I'm constantly running out.

L.O.R.D

i have about 210 pokeball and i am discarding them by the dozen to pick up new items.

You know what just dawned on me.

The reason Ditto isn't out yet? They're going to be implementing breeding in some way.

Breed your Pokemon (or maybe just with Ditto) to get another of that Pokemon in an egg. Then you can hatch it or give it to a friend to hatch...or maybe even leave them at PokeStops.

pls?

Not

Banned
Because it's the superior team and they're just jelly that they're not on it. It's an exclusive club, man.

I gave my trainer a yellow jacket and I'm already blonde so for some reason any other team besides Instinct just seems wrong. + Zapdos rules.

I think most people are basing their color after the version they had as a kid. Not many people got yellow version comparatively.

I've resorted to this as well... I fear I will soon break down and buy some BP upgrades. But 2 bucks for 50 slots feels ridiculously overpriced :(

I gave my trainer a yellow jacket and I'm already blonde so for some reason any other team besides Instinct just seems wrong. + Zapdos rules.

I think most people are basing their color after the version they had as a kid. Not many people got yellow version comparatively.
My yellow went through the washer and drier. ;____;

Tagyhag

I choose the red team because it's the dominant one in my town..basically all the gyms i can see from my house are red..if i had chosen another color it would have been me against the world

Giving up that quickly instead of facing a tough challenge? Yeah, Valor sounds like a good fit for you. :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You must've read it wrong? Evolving a Pokémon will put it on the same point on the trainer's CP scale as the original Pokémon. Since an evolved Pokémon has much higher hidden base stat, its CP will be much higher at the same point on that scale.

If you evolve a Pokémon relatively low on your scale, the result will still be relatively low on your scale and you'll need to do a lot of upgrades to get it up to scratch.
That's exactly what I meant, I will rephrase it

Just saw that Quonny put together some clearer language as well, thank you. I want to mention the curved bar for sure so people don't get confused. And I really appreciate the feedback guys. Maybe not so much the being told I fucked someone, but I want the answers to be as helpful and complete as possible. Barely anything is explained in-game and I think threads like these should try to be really welcoming to new players.

Quonny said:
The fact that it's in the evolve section is a bit confusing.
This was the question I'm amending the answer to:
Should I power up my Pokémon or evolve them first?
So I think it fits, right?

akileese

I love this game. But at the point servers should be better.

Pretty much where I'm at. After getting up very early for work and doing all the things I need to do to prep for the next day, it can be a chore to will myself to walk out of the house. Getting out and having 5 minutes of time playing before the servers crash is really demoralizing, even more so when it's pretty much every day.

This is becoming WoW: TBC levels of bad servers...and I'm not sure how they can fix it. You would have assumed that for the straight novelty players, that effect would have worn off after a week. I'm sure they've jettisoned plenty of players by having server issues all afternoon Sunday and yesterday, but it's actually gotten worse tonight.

So I just caught a Sandslash. It has 78CP. My highest Sandshrew is about 168CP IIRC (Servers down so I can't check). I have 100+ Sandshrew candies. Should I use the candies on the Sandslash or evolve one of the higher Sandshrews? Unfortunately, this Sandslash has 2 ground moves. What would you guys suggest?

Toki767

So I just caught a Sandslash. It has 78CP. My highest Sandshrew is about 168CP IIRC (Servers down so I can't check). I have 100+ Sandshrew candies. Should I use the candies on the Sandslash or evolve one of the higher Sandshrews? Unfortunately, this Sandslash has 2 ground moves. What would you guys suggest?
Evolve to save yourself the Stardust.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
evolve da sandshrew cause it also gives you xp :D

edit: ^Well, he's also gonna use the remaining candy he has on the new Sandslash I would imagine

Ferrio

Banned

Third option, wait until you caught a higher CP sandshrew?

backlot

Evolve a higher level Sandshrew. It will save on stardust and it seems like you have plenty of candies. If you evolved that Sandshrew it would probably end up being 300-400 CP. Sandslash will only get ~25 CP per upgrade so just imagine how much stardust it will cost to level your 78CP up to a comparable power.

The reason Ditto isn't out yet? They're going to be implementing breeding in some way.

Breed your Pokemon (or maybe just with Ditto) to get another of that Pokemon in an egg. Then you can hatch it or give it to a friend to hatch...or maybe even leave them at PokeStops.

pls?

Either that or they'll touch on the fan-favorite theories that Dittos are failed Mew experiments when they introduce Raids.

MajorMane

pls?

I was thinking about this actually the other day and I think breeding could be really cool. Either you yourself get the eggs or you're able to pass them on to other people.

This was brought on by the fact that I think this is the first Pokemon game where you can hatch Pokemon like Electabuzz, Magmar, and Jynx from eggs.

shaowebb

Nope. Laundromat downstairs is still spawning and flooding my apt with pokemon lol.
Just got like 4 more. Gonna cash out for candies. Did just catch a Jigglypuff out of nowhere. Says a Nidoking is near now.

Seth

I requested a refund (and received it) for ALL the money I've spent on this game so far. Did it through iTunes.

I suggest anyone using PTC accounts do the same. This second mistake is too ridiculous to ignore.

I'll be back and likely make more purchases after it's been stable and fuck up free for a few weeks. I do very much want this to succeed and be fun. I just don't feel they should get away with taking money for a job they apparently are unable to handle.

AReed

So I fought my own team's gym, defeated one of the pokemon, lost to the second, and I guess I raised it's prestige while getting some XP?

So how do I put a pokemon in the gym to help defend it? And will I be able to use that pokemon to fight other gyms while it's in my team's gym.?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Two ground moves is good. Generally speaking, you want Pokemon to have to moves of the same type. Because you are limited in when you can use charge moves, fast moves are probably actually responsible for most of your damage output, so you want them to be SE, but if your fast move is SE, you're going to want your charge move to be as well because you have limited opportunities to use it and are going to be picking attackers based on the SE status of their fast move. So unlike the actual mainline games, doubling up on the same type is best.

Pendas

Banned
So after hours of experimentation I decided to do a little write up about CP so people can understand it better. It's a bit long, so bear with me.

Above your Pokemon you will find 2 CP Indicators.

1. CP Number = That big number above your Pokemons head.
2. Percent Bar = The white semi circle above your Pokemon that fills up.

The CP Number is your Pokemons current Combat Points, and Percent Bar is the maximum amount of Combat Points your Pokemon can obtain.

Example: If your Pokemon has 50 Combat Points, and the Percent Bar is at 50%, then the maximum number of Combat Points he can obtain is 100. This will fill the Percent Bar to 100%.

Every time your character levels up, the limit of your Percent Bar will increase by about 10%. So Pokemon with a 100% Bar will drop to 90%, but his CP will remain the same. This also effects all Pokemon that you catch! So as you level, you will start catching Pokemon with a much, much higher CP Number.

How does this effects leveling? The amount of Stardust and Candy needed to level a Pokemon is based on the Percent Bar! In other words, a CP 1000 Charizard with a 90% Bar, will cost the EXACT same amount of Stardust and Candy to level as a CP 500 Charmander with a 90% Bar.

How does this effect Evolution? When you Evolve a Pokemon, the Percent Bar remains in the exact same spot as it was prior to Evolution. A 70% Bar Pidgey will evolve into a 70% Bar Pidgeotto, but since the Pidgeotto has a much higher CP Cap, his CP Number will be much larger.

What does this mean? There is absolutely NO REASON to level up a Pokemon prior to Evolution. The amount of Stardust and Candy you spend to level up will be exactly the same Pre and Post Evolution.

Additionally, the amount of Stardust and Candy needed to level a Pokemon can go down as your character level rises. Since every level increases your Percentage Bar by 10%. A Pokemon that cost 1600 Stardust to level at 10 will only cost 1000 Stardust to level a level 15.

If this has already been posted, sorry. Just wanted to clear things up for anyone with Questions about CP.

Evolve to save yourself the Stardust.

evolve da sandshrew cause it also gives you xp :D

edit: ^Well, he's also gonna use the remaining candy he has on the new Sandslash I would imagine

Third option, wait until you caught a higher CP sandshrew?

Evolve a higher level Sandshrew. It will save on stardust and it seems like you have plenty of candies. If you evolved that Sandshrew it would probably end up being 300-400 CP. Sandslash will only get ~25 CP per upgrade so just imagine how much stardust it will cost to level your 78CP up to a comparable power.

Thanks, guys. That option sounds pretty sane. I'm also gonna get to lvl 9 soon, so I guess I'll hold off until I get to that level to see if I can find a better Sandshrew.

As for moveset, what should I be looking for? Variety like in the main games or is having 2 moves of the same type fine? Also, whicj secondary moves should I aim for? The weaker and faster ones or the stronger and slower ones?

Two ground moves is good. Generally speaking, you want Pokemon to have to moves of the same type. Because you are limited in when you can use charge moves, fast moves are probably actually responsible for most of your damage output, so you want them to be SE, but if your fast move is SE, you're going to want your charge move to be as well because you have limited opportunities to use it and are going to be picking attackers based on the SE status of their fast move. So unlike the actual mainline games, doubling up on the same type is best.

Edit: Seems like this answers it.

MajorMane

So I fought my own team's gym, defeated one of the pokemon, lost to the second, and I guess I raised it's prestige while getting some XP?

So how do I put a pokemon in the gym to help defend it? And will I be able to use that pokemon to fight other gyms while it's in my team's gym.?

Yep, that's what happened. You have to raise the prestige to a certain level (the denominator in the prestige) and then you'll be able to place a Pokemon there. And no, you can't use that Pokemon until it's knocked out of the gym.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I requested a refund (and received it) for ALL the money I've spent on this game so far. Did it through iTunes.

I suggest anyone using PTC accounts do the same. This second mistake is too ridiculous to ignore.

I'll be back and likely make more purchases after it's been stable and fuck up free for a few weeks. I do very much want this to succeed and be fun. I just don't feel they should get away with taking money for a job they apparently are unable to handle.

That's legit and a good way to handle it. I do expect that they'll be focusing on some of these issues, and they're certainly hiring: https://nianticlabs.com/jobs/

Top Bottom