• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mini Mafia I |OT| Why is it so small?

HI SOPHSOPH

welcome to the train :>

so i just caught up, i think? Kawl is leader of #TeamPeek (with ty4on as vice president)

there was initially #TeamNoPeek (Splinter and .... i forgot name, maybe he's alone here lol)

then there's #TeamConfused (SkyOdin, catvoca, LP)... most of these have now come around to agree to peekypeek

then the gentleman's agreement is that we all will peekypeek on start of D2?

am i now on same page with everyone else?

Sophia

aw geez.

whats your thoughts on whats been discussed so far?

Still trying to catch up, so let me get a quick read over. I do recall a post from Hyperactivity speculating on the possibility of roles that kind of caught my eye. Not like in the sense of "Hey he might be scum" but more in the sense of "Hey, if I were playing maybe I should pay attention to this...."

Kawl_USC

Just for clarifications sake, but can someone mind explaining this to me?

Day 2 starts:

Everyone opens up with some variation of:

I peeked Sorian town last night.

I peeked Retro town last night and if I'm a one shot cop this was my shot.

I peeked blah blah town last night.

Nestled amongst these will be the actual cop, who if they die before revealing we can then go back and see conclusively who they checked.

SkyOdin

Just for clarifications sake, but can someone mind explaining this to me?

Kawl has proposed a plan to give cover to town's cops where everyone sorta fake claims cop by saying that they looked at someone during the night phase. If everyone says that they looked at someone and found them to be town, then the cops can safely clear people on Day 2. We just won't know it until the cops flip, but at that point we can go back and check. However, this plan is not without risks, and it will only work if everyone participates.

so i just caught up, i think? Kawl is leader of #TeamPeek (with ty4on as vice president)

there was initially #TeamNoPeek (Splinter and .... i forgot name, maybe he's alone here lol)

then there's #TeamConfused (SkyOdin, catvoca, LP)... most of these have now come around to agree to peekypeek

then the gentleman's agreement is that we all will peekypeek on start of D2?

am i now on same page with everyone else?

And what is your general feeling on it, Yes? I don't believe I saw it, if you did post it already.

Sophia

I see. I understand Kawl's logic behind it, at least. Still reading over stuff to see everyone's opinion and such.

The immediate question that comes to mind is "Is this a suggestion by town Kawl to legitimately hide the cop?" I must admit that, based purely on my previous experiences with Kawl, it gives me pause. But I also can't think of a reason of why scum Kawl would suggest it so early in the game.

oh i just saw cabot's vote on me

:>

guess he had been wanting to do that since archer XD

so cute

context: i only got 1 vote in the entire game of archer.........( from septimus_prime, who i had bullied for the bulk of the game. lol. )

STOP METAGAMING U FILTHY DRUNK >:O

Sophia

IMMA PEEKYPEEK \o/

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I know it's tempting, YNNNY, but we're here to play mafia. Not here to look at hot people. =P

Kawl has proposed a plan to give cover to town's cops where everyone sorta fake claims cop by saying that they looked at someone during the night phase. If everyone says that they looked at someone and found them to be town, then the cops can safely clear people on Day 2. We just won't know it until the cops flip, but at that point we can go back and check. However, this plan is not without risks, and it will only work if everyone participates.

The immediate risk that comes to mind is that, even if Kawl has honest intentions, it could very well give unintentional information to the scum team right now if not everyone participates.

Consider me against the idea for the moment.

Kawl_USC

I see. I understand Kawl's logic behind it, at least. Still reading over stuff to see everyone's opinion and such.

The immediate question that comes to mind is "Is this a suggestion by town Kawl to legitimately hide the cop?" I must admit that, based purely on my previous experiences with Kawl, it gives me pause. But I also can't think of a reason of why scum Kawl would suggest it so early in the game.

Curious as to why you say that? In fact I suggested just this thing in our last live mafia game.

Kawl_USC

Let me say this.

You guys aren't quite thinking through the benefit of it either. You are only looking at worst case scenario and not any other situations. There's more possible gains than just knowing who the cop looked at after their flip.

Sophia

Actually... now that I think about it Sky, what do you think the risks are yourself?

Let me say this.

You guys aren't quite thinking through the benefit of it either. You are only looking at worst case scenario and not any other situations. There's more possible gains than just knowing who the cop looked at after their flip.

I see the benefits of it, actually. That's why I'm giving it a lot of thought over, and have a bit of hesitation. There stands a lot to be gained if we can mask the cop.

.___.

...c..can we scumhunt AND check out hawties? i thought robots can mooltitask .__.

Priorties, dear spider, now is not the time to multitask.

Hmm... you're in favor of it, Ynnny? So it's just Splinter and one other person against it?

Kawl_USC

I see the benefits of it, actually. That's why I'm giving it a lot of thought over, and have a bit of hesitation. There stands a lot to be gained if we can mask the cop.

Hmm... you're in favor of it, Ynnny? So it's just Splinter and one other person against it?

It's not just about masking the cop, but I won't elaborate any further.

Also, I believe several people haven't chimed in one way or the other, so I hesitate to say that its just Splinter and one other.

SkyOdin

Speaking of people who havn't chimed in, Terrabyte and Stanley have been very quiet so far. Now, I believe that Stanley tends to post later than this, so I can be patient, but where is Terrabyte?

Actually... now that I think about it Sky, what do you think the risks are yourself?

Priorties, dear spider, now is not the time to multitask.

i likey peekaboo, yes. i think it seems to be a thing that is working well in mafia universe and i wanna see if it will translates into gafia well or what

i think splinter and initially hyper was against it but hyper has come around now, though with bells and whistles of warning against kawl if this backfires later

are you against it, sophsoph? dont you like peeking? :> :> :>

It's not just about masking the cop, but I won't elaborate any further.

Also, I believe several people haven't chimed in one way or the other, so I hesitate to say that its just Splinter and one other.

most of the others who have been online and active are hiding in #TeamMiddleground

it's a cosy place to blend in, i've been told

high-grade cover

of course some havent been actually around yet to voice their stances, cabot, terra and stanley, to name names

i enjoy naming names. it feels so .... rebel~ woooo~

Kawl_USC

most of the others who have been online and active are hiding in #TeamMiddleground

it's a cosy place to blend in, i've been told

high-grade cover

of course some havent been actually around yet to voice their stances, cabot, terra and stanley, to name names

i enjoy naming names. it feels so .... rebel~ woooo~

hear, hear!

#TeamTakeAStand
#TeamPeek
#TeamMoveThosePeskyBlinds

Sophia

i likey peekaboo, yes. i think it seems to be a thing that is working well in mafia universe and i wanna see if it will translates into gafia well or what

i think splinter and initially hyper was against it but hyper has come around now, though with bells and whistles of warning against kawl if this backfires later

are you against it, sophsoph? dont you like peeking? :> :> :>

I was uncertain, leaning towards against it. Re-reading over Kawl's posts, I'm slowly warming up to the idea. The risks I mentioned are mitigated if there is a significant amount of people in favor of it.

I don't think having doubts or being hesitate necessarily suggests anything. But being too quick to reach a verdict is far more scummy.

That said. #TeamCap

Always.

Kawl_USC

I don't think having doubts or being hesitate necessarily suggests anything. But being too quick to reach a verdict is far more scummy.

That said. #TeamCap

Always.

24 hour days, I'd like to not spend the entire phase on just this one topic. I think it has been discussed to an appropriate extent as pretty much the only topic of real meat thus far. If any one has any particular qualms, issues, or questions share them with the class. Otherwise, lets chime in so we can settle this issue.

Tittering away an entire phase sounds like a great way to let scum coast to a victory.

Kawl_USC

what would happen if someone doesnt hit their 10th post for the day?

will there be confetti?

yay 11th post for me

I expect the thread will be combed over to ensure only those pertinent posts are counted. Better not count your posts before they hatch, miss spider

24 hour days, I'd like to not spend the entire phase on just this one topic. I think it has been discussed to an appropriate extent as pretty much the only topic of real meat thus far. If any one has any particular qualms, issues, or questions share them with the class. Otherwise, lets chime in so we can settle this issue.

Tittering away an entire phase sounds like a great way to let scum coast to a victory.

Certainly.

It just seems odd that some people had immediate reactions to your suggestion and had little run for any kind of dialog. Food for thought.

I am still curious what some of the undeclared are thinking.

Sophia

I'm very much liking the 24 hour day phase with the ten post requirement. It gives me a clear idea who's coasting, who's not here yet, and who's active. It's not like in previous games where I feel like I'm lacking in material to work with.

I expect the thread will be combed over to ensure only those pertinent posts are counted. Better not count your posts before they hatch, miss spider

omg but everything i say is super pertinent

*looks up the word in the dictionary*

YES

Certainly.

It just seems odd that some people had immediate reactions to your suggestion and had little run for any kind of dialog. Food for thought.

I am still curious what some of the undeclared are thinking.

idk but some of us have been following our sacrificial lamb's journey to the mafia invitational. and i have been legit curious if some of their strats would translate here or not.

i am also still waiting on what the others would say, but as for my personal stance: 24 hours leaves little room to be indecisive.

I'm very much liking the 24 hour day phase with the ten post requirement. It gives me a clear idea who's coasting, who's not here yet, and who's active. It's not like in previous games where I feel like I'm lacking in material to work with.

yesh, i likey it too

YAY ACTIVITY

Sophia

YES

bullshits7jfhn4j9r.jpg

Hmm.. come to think of it Ynnny, you're a bit of a wildcard for me. I've never actually played Mafia with you before.

The other wild card to me is Catvoca, for the same reason.

On the other hand, most of the players I have previous experience on, so I either have strong or conflicted reads on them.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Speaking of people who havn't chimed in, Terrabyte and Stanley have been very quiet so far. Now, I believe that Stanley tends to post later than this, so I can be patient, but where is Terrabyte?
Watching Monday Night Raw, catching up on game now.

Terrabyte20xx

Okay, caught up. Welcome Sophia, glad to have you here.

Kawl said it earlier, and I'm actually inclined to agree with him, we really shouldn't waste the game phase talking about whether we are going to use the fake peek strategy.

Kawl_USC

Okay, caught up. Welcome Sophia, glad to have you here.

Kawl said it earlier, and I'm actually inclined to agree with him, we really shouldn't waste the game phase talking about whether we are going to use the fake peek strategy.

Right and we shouldn't, but I would like to know if you are still against peeking with the further details provided.

I'm of the mind that if at least 9 of us agree that it's a good idea then we should do it. If not then whatever.

Hmm.. come to think of it Ynnny, you're a bit of a wildcard for me. I've never actually played Mafia with you before.

The other wild card to me is Catvoca, for the same reason.

On the other hand, most of the players I have previous experience on, so I either have strong or conflicted reads on them.

yes my feeeeeeelings exactly

... except that im on the other side of the spectrum. i've only played with cabot on this players list so EVERYONE IS BRAND NEW to me......... I HAVE NO META ; __ ;

Sophia

yes my feeeeeeelings exactly

... except that im on the other side of the spectrum. i've only played with cabot on this players list so EVERYONE IS BRAND NEW to me......... I HAVE NO META ; __ ;

Penny for your thoughts on SkyOdin? I'm reading over his posts, and something is rubbing me the wrong way. But I can't figure out what. Call it a finger of suspicion, I guess.

Penny for your thoughts on SkyOdin? I'm reading over his posts, and something is rubbing me the wrong way. But I can't figure out what. Call it a finger of suspicion, I guess.

i like him, so far...

i donno him at all though but he's kinda timid but willing vibey to me

Terrabyte20xx

Right and we shouldn't, but I would like to know if you are still against peeking with the further details provided.

I'm of the mind that if at least 9 of us agree that it's a good idea then we should do it. If not then whatever.

After reading all the posts about, I am for. It's a strategy we have yet to try so I think it's worth the risk.

Sophia

i like him, so far...

i donno him at all though but he's kinda timid but willing vibey to me

I think that timidity is what is bothering me. I mean, it's understandable given that Kawl has proposed a relatively new meta strategy, but... take a look at some of these posts.

Are YOU scum?

Vote: Ty4on

I don't want any stone left unturned in our search.

Wouldn't that just create confusion though? What if a cop gets a positive read on scum on Night 1 and tries to tell everyone, but it is buried under several fake claims? We wouldn't know the veracity of the claim until the cop dies, but the Mafia, seeing the accurate claim, could just hold off on killing the cop and instead discredit them in the thread.

I suppose that would be a difficult and risky play for the Mafia. Giving a known cop more time to gather more intel is bad no matter what.

*sigh*

We are going to have no way of knowing if any cop claim is true or not, aren't we? With an unknown number of cops, we have no way of being certain of anything.

I understand why you are going "hmm", but it is just me stressing about things unnecessarily. With an unknown number of cops/doctors/whatever, we can't definitively rule out a fake claim without a confession or a role flip.

My worries are probably unfounded.

I do think that it is a bit odd of a suggestion. We can talk about top town picks independently of the "peeks". I do realize that peeking a mafia member would immediately tip them off that the "peek"er isn't a real cop, but picking your top town doesn't necessarily prevent that situation. Sticking to "don't fake peek the people you think are mafia" seems like the simpler advice.

If it is just cops + one or two vanilla townies + one or two scum who do the peeks, then the plan can absolutely backfire. It would narrow down both the possible cops and possible total number of PRs. If everyone peeks, then it might help accomplish its goal.

So, how confident are you that people will actually hop onboard this peek plan?

Feels like it's a bit back and forth between confidence and timidity. Maybe I'm looking into things too much tho.

ooooh *___*

i love it! detective sophia at work! always a marvel to behold *____*

i see what you mean about skyodin pussyfooting throughout today. it isnt a good look, hey? no, no. it definitely isn't.

SkyOdin

I think the big risks are twofold:
First of all, if too many people fake peek at scum by accident, then the scum (who know more than town does) will acquire more information than the rest of us about who is or isn't a cop. One round of peeking probably wouldn't give them very much information, but each subsequent round is statistically likely to give them more and more, especially since people will need to change their picks each day, increasing the chance of hitting scum.

The second big risk is scum going along with this strategy in order to build town cred.

However, I am willing to go along with this strategy simply out of curiosity if nothing else. I have never seen it before, and I know that it wouldn't have caught on as a known strategy in a major Mafia community if there wasn't something to it. I figure I can at least learn something from it.

I think that timidity is what is bothering me. I mean, it's understandable given that Kawl has proposed a relatively new meta strategy, but... take a look at some of these posts.

Feels like it's a bit back and forth between confidence and timidity. Maybe I'm looking into things too much tho.
The answer to this is easy: I am still very inexperienced at Mafia. This is my fourth Mafia game ever. In my first and third games, I was eliminated Night 1 and Day 1 respectively, while in my second game I single-handedly lost the game for town. So... if you are stuck between reading me as scum and incompetent, I will inform you now that the latter is the true one. I am still in the phase where I am learning the game and getting a feel for how to actually read scumminess.

Also, I mostly just post whatever I am thinking at the moment, so it is probably going to be stream of consciousness-ish.

Sophia

I think the big risks are twofold:
First of all, if too many people fake peek at scum by accident, then the scum (who know more than town does) will acquire more information than the rest of us about who is or isn't a cop. One round of peeking probably wouldn't give them very much information, but each subsequent round is statistically likely to give them more and more, especially since people will need to change their picks each day, increasing the chance of hitting scum.

The second big risk is scum going along with this strategy in order to build town cred.

However, I am willing to go along with this strategy simply out of curiosity if nothing else. I have never seen it before, and I know that it wouldn't have caught on as a known strategy in a major Mafia community if there wasn't something to it. I figure I can at least learn something from it.

Second risk seems unfounded to me. I don't feel they can really build up much town cred this way, no matter the outcome.

The first risk however.... you do make a good point, and it's essentially an extension of what I was thinking earlier. Hmm...

The answer to this is easy: I am still very inexperienced at Mafia. This is my fourth Mafia game ever. In my first and third games, I was eliminated Night 1 and Day 1 respectively, while in my second game I single-handedly lost the game for town. So... if you are stuck between reading me as scum and incompetent, I will inform you now that the latter is the true one. I am still in the phase where I am learning the game and getting a feel for how to actually read scumminess.

Also, I mostly just post whatever I am thinking at the moment, so it is probably going to be stream of consciousness-ish.

This response does make me feel a little bit more confidence about you, at least. Certainly, I can understand posting what you're thinking, because I do that a lot too.

Sophia

Speaking of things I'm thinking of.... there's one player among the currently active-ish players who isn't giving me a good read right now, despite posting some opinions here and there.

Also

vote: stanleypalmtree

reason: u are 2 hours ahead of me, kiwi, but you havent checked in yet so ...... booooop

Random vote on an inactive.

lewd

>/////<

i like how you lead, kawuru. keep at it \o/

Coasting.

oh i just saw cabot's vote on me

:>

guess he had been wanting to do that since archer XD

so cute

context: i only got 1 vote in the entire game of archer.........( from septimus_prime, who i had bullied for the bulk of the game. lol. )

STOP METAGAMING U FILTHY DRUNK >:O

More coasting

.___.

...c..can we scumhunt AND check out hawties? i thought robots can mooltitask .__.

Yet more coasting

ugeh 24 hours phases means i have to wake up at 6 am tomorrow if i wanna catch day ends :<

And yet even more coasting

what would happen if someone doesnt hit their 10th post for the day?

will there be confetti?

yay 11th post for me

And yet even more coasting

YES

idk but some of us have been following our sacrificial lamb's journey to the mafia invitational. and i have been legit curious if some of their strats would translate here or not.

i am also still waiting on what the others would say, but as for my personal stance: 24 hours leaves little room to be indecisive.

yesh, i likey it too

YAY ACTIVITY

Some information + some coasting

ooooh *___*

i love it! detective sophia at work! always a marvel to behold *____*

i see what you mean about skyodin pussyfooting throughout today. it isnt a good look, hey? no, no. it definitely isn't.

Praise for me off what is basically a slight gut read? Also not much in the way of content. Alone, I wouldn't consider it, but with all the coasting above...

Vote: YesNOnoNOYes

yes, i am coasting through the first 24 hours~

??

i established early on that there are 'factions' between the pro peekypeek and the anti-peekypeek and the ones that were omg-we-are-so-confused............ and i called out the ones doing the middle-of-the-road approach

you, despite your detectiving on SkyOdin, was as much pussyfooting with your accusations on him as he was about everything else

Second risk seems unfounded to me. I don't feel they can really build up much town cred this way, no matter the outcome.

The first risk however.... you do make a good point, and it's essentially an extension of what I was thinking earlier. Hmm...

This response does make me feel a little bit more confidence about you, at least. Certainly, I can understand posting what you're thinking, because I do that a lot too.

*bounces*

Vote: YesNOnoNOYes

Hmmm. Looking back I'm not sure if she gave me a real answer to my question on this very page:

me said:
And what is your general feeling on it, Yes? I don't believe I saw it, if you did post it already.

IMMA PEEKYPEEK \o/

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

After insisting people take a side on the topic. This answer kinda brushed aside a strategy to employed across our whole game, if adopted.

And, of course the above phrasing stands out to me.

However, I'm willing to give Yes an opportunity to address things before I cast my vote.

Sophia

you, despite your detectiving on SkyOdin, was as much pussyfooting with your accusations on him as he was about everything else

I don't deny it. I said something was rubbing me the wrong way, but I couldn't pinpoint to any one specific thing. So I did not throw down a vote because I was not confident he was scum. I also liked the answers he gave me.

However, I'm willing to give Yes an opportunity to address things before I cast my vote.

I think she's just talking about Sorian. I didn't really think too much of it beyond that, hence why I didn't bold it.

Hmmm. Looking back I'm not sure if she gave me a real answer to my question on this very page:

After insisting people take a side on the topic. This answer kinda brushed aside a strategy to employed across our whole game, if adopted.

oh im talking about sorian. he's GAFia's rep in the Mafia Invitational. he won the first round, which is awesome but lets see how he does in the next one.

i learned about 'peeking' from spectating him over there (at mafia universe)

I don't deny it. I said something was rubbing me the wrong way, but I couldn't pinpoint to any one specific thing. So I did not throw down a vote because I was not confident he was scum. I also liked the answers he gave me.

I think she's just talking about Sorian. I didn't really think too much of it beyond that, hence why I didn't bold it.

well, i also liked the answers he gave, but i began from a place where i said i likey him. seems grappling townie to me. just like you.

im not moving my vote for now. i wanna hear from stan.

i think he's the only one who hasnt checked in. and we dont have a lot of time in our day phases in this game.

Top Bottom