• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aters

I have no idea why anyone would take Eurogamer's word like god. Yeah, they got 2 things right in the past, but that's no guarantee this is true. Like I said, it completely goes against what Nintendo had already laid out, and this sounds impractical as hell. Not to mention if this was true, Nintendo would already be cracking down on this. Credible or not, none of this is convincing. Let's wait until Nintendo actually gives more about the system before we act like Eurogamer is god.

You can't say it's not convincing simply because you don't like it. I find the information very credible not only because it's from Eurogamer but also because it's in line with the rumors flying around and the patents. Also as a company, Nintendo is known for creating weird things like this.

ZOONAMI

Not really. PS4 is going to blow that 72 million number out of the water by itself. Add in the Vita sales and the hardware sales are over 50 million already. I predict that the numbers for the NX will be SIGNIFICANTLY less than that combined Wii U+3DS total if this rumor is true.

So you would rather have another gimmick than traditional semi-decent hardware to play their games on? I thought Nintendo was supposed to be about games.

It's definitely a "retreat" from the possibility of owning two separate markets with two golden products.

But in a world where they can't just will a Wii-like success into the world, consolidating their player base around a single product makes them much stronger.

Yeah and this from blackvine. I can see them only doing an Nx portable until the reign of the ps4 is over in a couple years, but I don't think we can jump to the conclusion they won't release a more traditional home console in a couple years. They may run with this sort of hybrid set up for a couple years and then come out with a home console. This portable could also bomb hardcore like the wii u, and then will they just not make hardware anymore? They have a warchest and I'm sure we'll see another home console from them, as well as another portable further down the line, other weird hardware and probably another home console in 10 years or so, but who knows what gaming is even going to look like in general that far out.

well considering Splatoon outsold halo 5, the selling power is there, you just dont want to see it

They can still sell games, but not much hardware(in the home console space). I guess still don't understand why Sony, Microsoft and PC can sustain platforms with great AAA 3rd party support and sell exclusives(well everything on PC is 3rd party but you get the point), but this it seems almost impossible for Nintendo to do it. I wanted this thing to be traditional box, but I see plenty of people are thrilled with this idea so I guess I'm just not the target market for Nintendo at all.

Kikorin

Play Zelda:BotW on handheld and probably with better graphics/performance than Wii U version in already a must buy for me, can't wait for the reveal.

Mihos

Gold Member
If the unit needs to be plugged into a base station, how will the controller look like? Perhaps the left and right controller can be plugged together, like so:

V0n3QNU.jpg

I like the hybrid idea, but I don't like the idea of holding the entire unit (including screen) into my hands while playing on my tv.

thoughts?

Now try to draw hands on that controller... the horror

For power guaranteed to be greater than Wii U? Not really. The dock could simply be a shell that allows TV playback and NX would still be more powerful than Wii U.

And this is assuming it's using a vanilla X1 chip, which it clearly won't be.

I just meant for extra power, I'm sure the standard NX will be more powerful than the WIi U.

If Nintendo sells 10s of millions of a device that does plug into a TV, that might make them a more successful console manufacturer than Microsoft (at this point in time).

Who cares about AAA games. Assasin's Creed and Call of Duty ain't how Nintendo makes money.

The west cares about AAA games .
The place where consoles are selling and handheld have drop like a rock .
Right now Nintendo not making much money since both of there markets saw a huge drop off.

Sure, but if it releases with the Nvidia X1 in it's current state, it will be under-powered in comparison to the PS4 & XBO (not to mention Scorpio & Neo).
Impressive for a handheld, but the dream of some semblance of performance parity across the big 3 is gone.

Yeah, I think they're shooting for making a successful gaming product here (that happens to also offer living room gaming experience on your TV) without bothering to get caught in the parity-race.

For power guaranteed to be greater than Wii U? Not really. The dock could simply be a shell that allows TV playback and NX would still be more powerful than Wii U.

I'm personally doubting the dock will have extra power, especially if Nintendo wants to keep costs down. As per usual with them, they'll cut corners on the hardware somewhere and I think they'll be perfectly with that level of power.

oti

Banned
I like the idea but the execution could be clumsy. And I don't want another Fisher Price My First Tablet, please Nintendo.

Tegra assures that they'd get at least slightly better Wii U graphics. The range after that is up to Xbox One tier. After that though I have no real clue.

We'd need a reveal for that.

I'm no graphics whore but I have to admit only slighty better than Wii U is a bit disappointing. Though what I really care about when it comes to visuals/graphics is to finally get Nintendo games with decent AA and at full HD. Some Wii U games like Mario Kart 8 already look fantastic, they just need more resolution and better IQ.

If this rumor is true, it would awesome if they released an additional stationary dock with more processing power. They could call the base handheld/hybrid system "Nintendo Go", and the addon dock "Nintendo Home". 😃

The best thing about this, though, is that Nintendo can focus all development on one system, so hopefully no more droughts!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The board? Ignore it.
Look the "2 Tegra X1" model. It have 1 TFlops with 2 X1. That is 0,5 TF for chip, what is exactly what X1 can have right now. And we know that X1 is used in smaller boards than what we see in that screen.

Like I said before. Nintendo can create the handled with a underclocked Parker that consumes less power and when docked for TV it can use the full power.

Just stahp. I already said pages ago don't just randomly Google and source Anandtech.

It's worth noting I already did a long form thread on that article months ago as well as one for the K1.

Look the current shield is box is actively cooled and runs at 20 watts if not more during gaming. You also aren't actually getting half a teraflop at 32fp. Thats max numbers from Nvidia. It also runs hot as a mother fucker.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People who buy gaming systems.
Winning AAA multiplatforms is not the metric for Nintendo success. That's not what anyone is ever talking about when they mean "successful Nintendo console".

They want a healthy install base of a console sold at a profit, and the ability to sell their evergreen first-party titles that never drop in price. That's Nintendo success.

If they took over the AAA world? Fine. A wild dream. But no one sane expects that.

I just meant for extra power, I'm sure the standard NX will be more powerful than the WIi U.

Oh ok.

The SCD patent has to mean something NX-related, so it's possible the docking station brings something more to the table, but I'm a bit skeptical it's going to actually give the handheld more juice.

I'm personally doubting the dock will have extra power, especially if Nintendo wants to keep costs down. As per usual with them, they'll cut corners on the hardware somewhere and I think they'll be perfectly with that level of power.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it's just a means for direct TV playback.

If the unit needs to be plugged into a base station, how will the controller look like? Perhaps the left and right controller can be plugged together, like so:

V0n3QNU.jpg

I like the hybrid idea, but I don't like the idea of holding the entire unit (including screen) into my hands while playing on my tv.

thoughts?

Well, the option to use the two pieces freehand style seems to be there. For traditional style play, don't put it past Nintendo to sell some type of plastic extender to space out the two pieces when the screen is docked.

V0n3QNU.jpg

thoughts?

Source said that they are separate controllers. Doesn't mean that you can't put them together though.

UoTzbhM.png

One thing that no one mentioned that's potentially HUGE.

VR DOCKS!

If the NX has a 1080p screen, dock is googles + input power.

If not, dock is PS VR like device.

COME ON people, be creative.
you really want a vr experience that is less powerful than the already less than ideal one available for ps4? I don't think that's anything to get excited about.

Kinda bummed about it not being more powerful but love the idea of consolidating all dev teams on a single sku, not a fan of handheld gaming, was jelly of all those 3ds games I couldn't play on the big screen. This seems to take care of that problem so win-win. Hoping for low msrp.

They can still sell games, but not much hardware(in the home console space).

If they're blurring the lines with a hybrid, it all becomes semantics. If it does well as a hybrid, it's technically still doing well as a console (since that's one of its features). Just not in the conventional, horsepower-driven console space. Assuming these rumors are accurate, they're trying to carve out a new home console market here, not hinged on parity or high-performance.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
MeOtbQP.gif

reposting this without the quote so it shows up in quotes, sorry for repost / continued dumbness.

thing i didn't think about while mocking this up was where the cartridge goes -- whether it's in the back of the mobile device like the DS or on the bottom edge that would be facing the user while docked.

ZOONAMI

Or the tv functionality requires the dock which could be an optional accessory. As making it optional also would cut down the cost of buying the core handheld system.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

V0n3QNU.jpg

thoughts?

I think we're close.

NX free form display controllers. Controllers attach and form one seamless display.

Probably less physical buttons on them and more haptic/virtual buttons though.

General idea though.

Anth0ny

You are trying a bit too hard there...WiiU and 3DS had incredible bad launches and were designed for a pre-smartphone world. NX will be the complete opposite. One device, all Nintendo games.

Potential is huge if they get the price and hardware right - their initial lineup will be huge. Alone Smash GotY w. Cloud/Bayo/Robin Amiibos and Zelda BotW will be bigger than anything you had on 3DS/WiiU launch.

Expecting a very strong first years first party lineup including new 3D Mario, Retro game, Pikmin 4 and co. - which is necessary unless they havent leant anything from 3DS/WiiU first years.

Having a better launch lineup than Wii U or 3DS is not asking a whole lot lol

Also, prettier versions of COD and FIFA are FAR more appealing than prettier versions of Smash and Zelda at this point. I have a hard time believing many people outside of the Nintendo core fanbase (which is pretty small at this point), will choose NX over Xbone, PS4, NEO or Scorpio.

fresquito

And Sony home consoles have sold less each succeeding generation with PS2 being the only outlier. This looks like they are waving the white flag on that market by not even bothering to make a home console.
So?

They are here for the profit and GC had better profits than PS2, the biggest console ever.

Nanashrew

Banned

Well now I'm wondering if the docks will have an SCD connection or if the docks are an SCD.

The_Lump

Banned
So it's going to be an under-powered and overheating tablet with removable controls.
Pretty disappointed.

Quite the foresight you've got there considering we have nothing concrete, and the only leaks we have say the devkit uses Tegra X1 (with an active fan - implying not a standard X1 either at the moment or expected in future iterations).

At this point it could literally be anything from a 0.5TFlop runt to a 1.5TFlop rather neat little machine with a cool party trick. Or both (scalable between "portable" and "home" modes).

oti

Banned
I don't believe Eurogamer made this up but it does seem kind of strange that no other site has published an article on their own, backing it up with their own sources. I find it hard to believe that only Eurogamer heard and verified these rumours. Good for them. Big exclusive.

Sandfox

If this ends up being real it would be cool to play certain games typically only for handhelds on the big screen and Nintendo will have much more manpower for the one device. Now to wait until Nintendo's reveal.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Bro, you are dreaming small

Pokemon Go + Wii + Nokia 3610 = 75M + 101M + 150M multiplied by a factor of 16 because its 2016 = 5 BILLION

You heard it here first folks, the NX will sell 5 billion

Yikes...whats up with some of the bitterness lol.

Obv, no one knows how much NX is gonna sell - but WiiU+3DS is the amount of systems Nintendo sold this gen. Some of you are acting as if he used og. Wii and DS family sales to predict how much NX will sell in its first year.

The main point is that the portable is way more succesful even though they screwed up a lot of things with the 3DS, it makes sense for Nintendo to focus on what they are good at at - portable systems.

Having a better launch lineup than Wii U or 3DS is not asking a whole lot lol

Also, prettier versions of COD and FIFA are FAR more appealing than prettier versions of Smash and Zelda at this point. I have a hard time believing many people outside of the Nintendo core fanbase (which is pretty small at this point), will choose NX over Xbone, PS4, NEO or Scorpio.

Who said anything about prettier ? Also more appealing to whom ?
The WiiU has a tiny userbase while BotW will sell on NX for its whole life span - there are many people who skipped the WiiU and will the game on NX instead. Also i dont think the regular CoD/Fifa buys the game because they are graphical showcases.

Why over ? A customer cant have a PS4/XBO/PC...and a NX ?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Whelp, does seem like Nintendo is really out of touch with the markets.

Why would someone get this over their phones that they already own? Especially if it doesn't do everything a phone can do and simply plays games?

Who's going to want to carry this around with them everywhere they go like they do their mobile phones?

Also if it's meant to replace the Wii U....but it can't even compete vs a ps4/xbone in terms of ease of development/porting/graphical prowess then ugh, I just don't see it going well for Nintenod at all.

It's like those things that try to be too many things at once and in the end while it's versatile it doesn't really do any one thing better then things made specifically for that purpose.

The mobile market has no room for dedicated large handhelds that aren't easily carryable in your pocket or offer nothing outside of just games (Why would someone pick this over an Iphone or something that can play games plus send/receive texts/calls, use the internet to watch videos and everything).

I had high hopes that NX was finally going to be Nintendo trying to get back to actually making games for GAMERS and not trying their best to somehow inch their way into "casuals" or breaking that market like the Wii did.

Seems they have not learned anything from the Wii U nor the 3ds XL.

It's just a way to be able to sell ALL their games to their portable fans and their console fans. Versus the current status quo where a lot of their base only owned one or the other and thus could only buy a part of their game library. Not to mention the added costs in R&D and development for having two platforms.

As I said before, when you're a company appealing to a sizeable niche market you can't really chop it in half with self competition. They don't need to expand their base greatly. They've sold 60 million 3DSs. Even if they just sell 30-50 million of these, that's a large base to sell ALL their games too since their IP have such high attach rates.

Their path to profits is just doing stuff like that to heavily monetize their base, along with their new mobile revenue stream, Amiibo revenue stream etc.

What if you ignore everything but the fact that this is the 3ds's successor. Sounds pretty incredible, doesn't it? I feel like people were expecting a new home console and are let down. As a handheld it sounds phenomenal and the TV features are a bonus.

I haven't owned a handheld since the original GameBoy, no lie. I've never once been interested in a handheld, not really for any specific reasons.

I would've liked a real Nintendo home console after finding the Wii and WiiU to be gimmicky stinkers for the most part and not even buying a WiiU anymore. I used to be somewhat of a Nintendo fanboy as well.

Fredrik

People don't want this? What is wrong about the idea? You have a console, and you have a handheld. It's more powerful than a Wii U, and will have a bigger library. What is there to not like about this idea?
It is the least powerful console and there is no real uniqueness. What's the selling point? Remember that WiiU didn't fail because the Off TV Play range was too limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom