• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you guys can stop forcing this opinion down people's throats...
If you disagree, then please explain what about this device makes it a handheld rather than a console. It's a capable gaming device much more powerful than the previous generation device, designed to be played hooked up to a TV using controllers not connected to the device, that is going to be playing games designed for consoles.

TunaLover

My gues is that the dockingstation can be seen as the primaire console with the most power in it (close to X1/PS4) and 2nd console is the handheld with less power due to heat issues.

If you combine the two you will get powerlevels of X1/PS4. Im guessing that when the both are connected/docked the handheld helps the main console.
Itsn't happening, let it go

More like medium case until we confirm exact specs. It can still be 2-5x as powerful as Wii U. You can't celebrate being right until we see that 1 SM @200MHz you're predicting.

LOL. I never predicted 1SM@200mhz. You keep misreading me. I said we can always do worse, there's always a possibility for Nintendo, to start with X1 or Pascal based Tegra to do something different.
My own prediction sits at 2SM at 300mhz in handheld and 1ghz in console. Heck, I can also envision, the same way I can envision 1SM, 3SM at 200mhz and 800mhz docked.

Same for my worst case scenario. It never was 1SM. It always was 2SM at 200 to 300mhz, but no upclock in dock mode, which means 540p upscaled on TV.

G.ZZZ

If you disagree, then please explain what about this device makes it a handheld rather than a console. It's a capable gaming device much more powerful than the previous generation device, designed to be played hooked up to a TV using controllers not connected to the device, that is going to be playing games designed for consoles.

The fact that it come with portable chipset, with a screen and a battery? Dunno, what make a table a table?

This isn't semantics, this is being stubborn. This is literally an handheld with HDMI out. If not every single phone in existence is a console, and an hybrid. No they're not. They're things designed to be used as portables first and foremost, and the connectivity to the TV doesn't change their core design. IF this had additional power on dock (aka increasing the chipset clock) then i'd agree this is an hybrid, because it has two different design targets. If it doesn't, it's just an handheld with HDMI out and two detachable controllers for all those people (0) that will want to play local multiplayer outside of an house.

Rodin

She said nx would blow Wii U away in software output.
In terms of raw power, numerous sources tell me that NX is much closer to Xbox One than PlayStation 4. Even that might be stretching it a tiny bit. Anyone who is claiming that NX is “two times the power of PS4 GPU” is being misled by their sources. Based on what I’ve heard, I don’t believe the NX will compete directly with PS4 (Neo) / PS4K in raw power.

There will be plenty of debates over the NX’s specs because it’s not simple to directly compare two apples (with x86 architecture) to an orange (that doesn’t use x86 architecture). But everything that I’ve heard (so far) indicates that NX isn’t going to blow away any of the consoles on the market today…except for Wii U.

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/so-about-nx/

Oxn

Connecting a laptop to a monitor, with kb and mouse, doesnt make it a desktop.

Emily seemed to imply later that it wasn't really close to Xbone, though. Either way, better than Wii U in a handheld still sounds good. They worked miracles with the Wii hardware, but I think most people here would be lying if they said they weren't wishing for a bit more. Prayin' for Pascal.

Iirc, your worst case scenario was a 64 gflop handheld, so I don't think we're quite there yet. :p

Well then, I'm glad I didn't go with my original yoga pants joke.

So what is the worst case scenario then? Are we still looking at a device that is all around better than Wii U and a handheld?

MuchoMalo

Banned

We're never going to see eye-to-eye on this, so think of it this way: Not everyone cares about a powerful handheld, and not everything thinks another GC->Wii (though a bit better) kind of jump is acceptable.It's not a diffibult concept. Some people want more than you do, and just telling them to be positive because you like the concept isn't going to make them change what they want or expect. If it's a console, then it's a shitty console with a shitty default controller and a power level likely far too low for its price. Nintendo doesn't exist in a vacuum, and as such should not be judged as i9 Wii U is the only console on the market. Further, even as a Wii U successor this is a poor jump, possibly smaller than the jump from PS4 to Neo.

So what is the worst case scenario then? Are we still looking at a device that is all around better than Wii U and a handheld?

That would be half as powerful as Wii U. How weak did you think Wii U was? :p

The fact that it come with portable chipset, with a screen and a battery? Dunno, what make a table a table?

This isn't semantics, this is being stubborn. This is literally an handheld with HDMI out. If not every single phone in existence is a console, and an hybrid. No they're not. They're things designed to be used as portable first and foremost, and the connectivity to the TV doesn't change their core design.
Saying what makes it a good handheld isn't saying what makes it NOT a console. As a hybrid device it is both. If you can tell me what features it is missing for being a console, then you would have a point. As for your "every phone is a hybrid", what game controls do they have built-in? Are they almost as powerful as a PS4/XBox One? Are they designed for use on a TV, or is that capability thrown in as an extra feature? Are they getting modern brand new console games?

Eolz

If you are so sad, why not consider it a console that you can take with you rather than a handheld that can hook up to a TV? As a hybrid, it really is both.

This isn't semantics, this is being stubborn. This is literally an handheld with HDMI out. If not every single phone in existence is a console, and an hybrid. No they're not. They're things designed to be used as portable first and foremost, and the connectivity to the TV doesn't change their core design.

Basically this. It's not designed as a console where you take something out less powerful, like an hybrid should be.
Being more powerful than a wiiu ("much" has yet to be seen) is not that remarkable, it's just way better than expected from nintendo for their handhelds. Less surprising now that we're more convinced they've given up on other things.
The wii and wiiu were barely more powerful than the best console of the previous gen. This time, their new console is effectively more than a generation late.

Akki

They would have made my ass look so good.

Nope.https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/so-about-nx/

Emily Rogers said:
There will be plenty of debates over the NX’s specs because it’s not simple to directly compare two apples (with x86 architecture) to an orange (that doesn’t use x86 architecture). But everything that I’ve heard (so far) indicates that NX isn’t going to blow away any of the consoles on the market today…except for Wii U.

Obviously this statement is subjective as others already mentioned but the rumors don´t add up. IMO the NX is stronger than we imagine and the dock does not power up the console or there are diferent "power levels".

Instro

Saying what makes it a good handheld isn't saying what makes it NOT a console. As a hybrid device it is both. If you can tell me what features it is missing for being a console, then you would have a point.
Who cares? The end result is that it's a pos as console thus only fit to be a handheld.

G.ZZZ

Saying what makes it a good handheld isn't saying what makes it NOT a console. As a hybrid device it is both. If you can tell me what features it is missing for being a console, then you would have a point.

Can u tell me what feature is a phone missing for being a console? What features was a PSP missing for being a console? What feature a tablet is missing for being a console? All of those could be attached to a TV and even played in multiplayer on it, and if there weren't any multiplayer games designed to work that way is only because the market for it was 0. Nilch. Nada. Nothing.

TunaLover

This isn't semantics, this is being stubborn. This is literally an handheld with HDMI out. If not every single phone in existence is a console, and an hybrid. No they're not. They're things designed to be used as portables first and foremost, and the connectivity to the TV doesn't change their core design. IF this had additional power on dock (aka increasing the chipset clock) then i'd agree this is an hybrid, because it has two different design targets. If it doesn't, it's just an handheld with HDMI out and two detachable controllers for all those people (0) that will want to play local multiplayer outside of an house.
The detachable controllers for local multiplayer, they are enough to consider it a hybrid somehow. Not a fan of the whole concept, in fact this detachable controllers sound like a less than elegant solution.

jehuty

My gues is that the dockingstation can be seen as the primaire console with the most power in it (close to X1/PS4) and 2nd console is the handheld with less power due to heat issues.

If you combine the two you will get powerlevels of X1/PS4. Im guessing that when the both are connected/docked the handheld helps the main console.

While I don't think this is going to happen I could see a docking station in the future that could enhance the capabilities of whatever the NX is (if it is indeed a handheld).

The only reason I say this is due to Nintendo not being shy about releasing expansion to their systems (N64 expansion pack, those game boy players for the snes and Gamecube, new 3ds, etc).

So I think that the NX (whatever it is) will just play games on the go and allow you to play it on your T.V with the same power. But in the future Nintendo will release a dock with extra graphical features for those who want to game primarily on the T.V. Just this would eliminate the heat burden of clocking up the NX (whatever it is), keep the NX as a portable main system (if it is indeed that), and also satisfy people who are mainly home console gamers (chances are if the went this route the "enhanced dock" would come with controllers optimized for home console gaming).

Of course this is all speculation, but looking at some of the Nintendo patents and what they have done in the past, I don't believe it is out of the realm of possibility.

But as far as the NX initial reveal goes, all signs point to it being a system that you can play on the go (primary function) and perhaps play on your T.V (with dock) and the graphics will look the same (power level probably the same as WiiU or slightly better to maximize battery life). They won't try to confuse consumers with a too complex machine or try to divide their user base by releasing an add on right off the bat (enhanced dock).

Of course, I could be wrong as this is all speculation. Actually, chances are that i'm wrong. With Nintendo, you just never know. Leave luck to heaven I guess.

Hilarion

This is probably going to be my favorite gaming system ever, depending on the output. Handhelds are better than consoles to begin with, as far as I'm concerned. Unifying the software output towards the handheld is a fantastic bonus, especially if the NX ends up inheriting a lot of the Japanese support the 3DS and Vita were having (totally possible). If the NX ends up filled with Japanese platformers, RPGs, Visual Novels, Tactical RPGs, and other similar games I'd have basically everything I ever wanted to play unified on a single platform. That's crazy.

The ability to hook it up to a television is a nice bonus, though I doubt I'd use it very often.

It does look like Nintendo is getting out of making home consoles, and I couldn't be more satisfied about that. Handheld supremacy. :)

Oxn

No, but it allows it to function the same way that a desktop functions when you do so. Just with a lower power ceiling than the giant gaming rig on the other floor.

Thats pretty much the arguement isnt it?

Also the fact that if im purely a home console gamer, or a desktop user, now im paying more to have a function i dont need, aka a lower powered laptop.

Well i dont really care as long as the price is on point, the real games are there, and the design is not too crazy.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Saying what makes it a good handheld isn't saying what makes it NOT a console. As a hybrid device it is both. If you can tell me what features it is missing for being a console, then you would have a point. As for your "every phone is a hybrid", what game controls do they have built-in? Are they almost as powerful as a PS4/XBox One? Are they designed for use on a TV, or is that capability thrown in as an extra feature? Are they getting modern brand new console games?

Funny definition of "almost" you've got there. Almost everything you've said here could be applied to PSP at the time of launch btw. What makes this a hybrid and PSP not?

Can u tell me what feature is a phone missing for being a console? What features was a PSP missing for being a console? What feature a tablet is missing for being a console? All of those could be attached to a TV and even played in multiplayer on it, and if there weren't any multiplayer games designed to work that way is only because the market for it was 0. Nilch. Nada. Nothing.
Well, I did, but you may not have seen it since it was in an edit: As for your "every phone is a hybrid", what game controls do they have? Are they almost as powerful as a PS4/XBox One? Are they designed for use on a TV, or is that capability thrown in as an extra feature? Are they getting modern brand new console games?

I don't think the semantics argument about what is or isn't a hybrid is really relevant until Nintendo starts actually marketing this thing. If they market it primarily as a handheld, we can assume it's a handheld. If it's marketed as a device which can serve as both handheld and console, and they tout that feature as one of it's primary functions then we can assume it's a hybrid.

As of now this debate is kinda pointless.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Well, I did, but you may not have seen it since it was in an edit: As for your "every phone is a hybrid", what game controls do they have? Are they almost as powerful as a PS4/XBox One? Are they designed for use on a TV, or is that capability thrown in as an extra feature? Are they getting modern brand new console games?

What defines whether or not something is just an extra feature?

Funny definition of "almost" you've got there. Almost everything you've said here could be applied to PSP at the time of launch btw. What makes this a hybrid and PSP not?
Well, "at time of launch" is incorrect, the PSP didn't get TV-out abilities until the 2000 model, and even that one didn't ship with the AV cable it had to be bought separately. Also it was designed to only play handheld games, the only console games it got were ports/emulations from previous generations, so it didn't fit the "modern console games" rule (although Nintendo really is changing things up in this regard, since they don't have a difference between handheld games and console games anymore, they reorganized to integrate their handheld developers with their console developers).

What defines whether or not something is just an extra feature?
If it's designed/marketed as a primary use of the device. I have yet to see a phone marketed with TV out as a primary feature - these days it's just a bullet point, if even that. Not to mention they don't even ship with the HDMI cable needed to hook up to a TV.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They would have made my ass look so good.

Nope.https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/so-about-nx/

Obviously this statement is subjective as others already mentioned but the rumors don´t add up. IMO the NX is stronger than we imagine and the dock does not power up the console or there are diferent "power levels".

10k said blow it away in "software output."

Both of you then responded with her statement about the graphical capability of the console. Not even close to the same thing.

What's gotten everyone so down all of a sudden?

Did people finally realize that the dock at most provides cooling for an upclock and doesn't house any processing power?

Oxn

Did people finally realize that the dock at most provides cooling for an upclock and doesn't house any processing power?

We all know its just going to be a cheap plastic unit that props the device up.

Tada, hybrid.

Yado

This will all make sense when they reveal the home console.

I still believe.
#team2sku
tumblr_inline_o9usu5GCPo1r86rz2_500.gif

MuchoMalo

Banned
Well, "at time of launch" is incorrect, the PSP didn't get TV-out abilities until the 2000 model, and even that one didn't ship with the AV cable it had to be bought separately. Also it was designed to only play handheld games, the only console games it got were ports/emulations from previous generations, so it didn't fit the "modern console games" rule (although Nintendo really is changing things up in this regard, since they don't have a difference between handheld games and console games anymore, they reorganized to integrate their handheld developers with their console developers).

If it's designed/marketed as a primary use of the device. I have yet to see a phone marketed with TV out as a primary feature - these days it's just a bullet point, if even that. Not to mention they don't even ship with the HDMI cable needed to hook up to a TV.

So, who's to say that that they won't advertise it like this: "This is a handheld... which you can also hook up to your TV and play like a console!" On top of that, we don't evej know if it'll ship with the dock. They might ship the dock and a normal controller separately to keep the barrier of entry as low a possible. You're making a lot of assumptions here, honestly.

And even then, "hybrid" will always be subjective. I personally feel that a hybrid must make equal considerations for all of its roles in order to find the best possible balance. NX doesn't sound like that. It sounds like a handheld base where they added some things to give it console-like functionality. That's not enough for me. I also don't consider the Surface Pro or iPad Pro hybrids just because they're designed to use a keyboard; they're tablets with keyboards. The Surface Book, however, is the gold standard for a hybrid to me.

Both of you then responded with her statement about the graphical capability of the console. Not even close to the same thing.

10k said that in response to a poster quoting Emily Rogers as saying it would blow away the Wii U in power. They responded by showing that she did indeed say it would blow the Wii U away in power.

Iherre (who is apparently an insider) said that he has not heard of any upclocking at all, and only one power level that he knows of. Not that he said there won't or can't be upclocking, just that he hasn't heard about it. People proceeded to jump to conclusions.

Edit: Here-

Well my disappointment was about power too (if my sources are true) since you can't have a PS4 or XB1 on a HH device as you can guess. Obviously for a HH is a good power but very far for a home console. But I repeat if the sources are true since everything is not set in stone.

In fact I didn't heard anything about different modes (i mean that when docked anything changes). So for a home console I see that power (if true) a great disappointment.

But I understand that for Nintendo it's the best scenario since they are unable to maintain 2 consoles at the same time when they changed to HD development as we saw with 3ds/Wiiu.

Edit 2: Since it's been bothering me, can someone tell me if Iherre is with a lowercase L or an uppercase i?

Rodin

This and the Eurogamer article mentioning a stock TX1 running in the devkit (without any mention of downclocks) have me believing there will be some kind of difference in power levels between docked and handheld. Otherwise none of these leaks make any sense to me. Iherre may not have heard about it, but that doesn't make it not the case...
Yup. Also osirisblack's comment about ports having little to no issue running on NX.

I'm starting to consider the possibility that we've been looking at this in reverse: the NX doesn't "overclock" itself or run "at full speed" when docked, it simply runs at a certain clockspeed by default and then downclocks itself to save battery when you play on the go on its lower res screen, but it's still able to show the same results on it due to that resolution (540p) needing less resources.

If we look at it this way vs "portable with a tv out", then it actually is a hybrid, and it uses mobile components because they're a much better fit for a configuration like this (the obvious trade off being having to use less powerful hardware than a "true" home console). Maybe it would also explain lherre not hearing about different "modes" and df not reporting anything about it. The hardware is that, and devs program for it.

I also wonder if they can design a cooling system inside the device that it's active when it has to dissipate the heat produced by the hardware when we play on the TV, and that turns off the fan (or at least runs much quieter) when used as a standalone handheld with much lower clockspeeds, similar in a way to the 0 fan tech we've seen in many modern GPUs. Maybe this would also explain the df report about that noisy TX1 fan inside the devkits.

Read the post he was responding to.

We're never going to see eye-to-eye on this, so think of it this way: Not everyone cares about a powerful handheld, and not everything thinks another GC->Wii (though a bit better) kind of jump is acceptable.It's not a diffibult concept. Some people want more than you do, and just telling them to be positive because you like the concept isn't going to make them change what they want or expect. If it's a console, then it's a shitty console with a shitty default controller and a power level likely far too low for its price. Nintendo doesn't exist in a vacuum, and as such should not be judged as i9 Wii U is the only console on the market. Further, even as a Wii U successor this is a poor jump, possibly smaller than the jump from PS4 to Neo.

That would be half as powerful as Wii U. How weak did you think Wii U was? :p

Wait, what? The post I quoted was shooting down that being the worst case scenario. If that's not the worst case scenario than I'm asking what realistically the worst case scenario is.

Thraktor

3 SM cores are extremely unlikely. Increase the cost significantly and in a handheld form factor you can't use that many watts so you wouldn't be much faster than 2 SM cores anyway. The shield use top line cooling and is decently big. Increasing wattage over that seems incredibly unrealistic. I expect half that total Wattage, knowing Nintendo.

The bolded isn't true. In fact, pretty much the opposite is true, as in a tightly thermally constrained environment (i.e. a handheld) the marginal benefit to increased parallelism (i.e. more SMs) can be quite large.

To demonstrate, let's look at a power curve for Pascal I've put together. Unlike my previous power curves for A72 and A53 CPU clusters (which are based on solid real-world data from Anandtech and should be considered reasonably accurate), this is a much more rough approximation based on just four data points:

- TSMC's claims of "40% higher speed" and "60% power saving" over 20nm, each applied separately to the TX1's GPU drawing 1.5W at 500MHz (divided by 2 for 750mW per SM).
- Power draw readings from the GTX1080 before and after overclocking (full board power readings, minus GDDR5X, divided by number of SMs).

Obviously I'm extrapolating a lot from fairly poor data, but hopefully it should be in the right ballpark, and enough for our discussion in any case. (I should also note that this isn't strictly a measure of power draw for the SMs themselves, but rather a measure of the draw of an entire Pascal GPU "per SM", so including other components like ROPs, TMUs, etc., assuming they're always in roughly the same proportion to SMs). In any case, here's the power curve:

pascal_powercurve.png

The important thing to note is that, like virtually all IC power curves, it's not linear, and for a given increase in clock speed you require a much larger increase in power consumption to get you there. What this means is that you'll get better performance by using more SMs at a lower clock speed than fewer SMs at a higher clock speed.

Let's look at the clock speed (and raw floating point performance) that could be achieved with different numbers of SMs within the power constrains we might expect for a handheld GPU:

1x SM:

1000 mW - 780 MHz - 200 Gflops FP32 - 400 Gflops FP16
1500 mW - 915 MHz - 234 Gflops FP32 - 468 Gflops FP16
2000 mW - 1025 MHz - 262 Gflops FP32 - 525 Gflops FP16

2x SM:

1000 mW - 595 MHz - 305 Gflops FP32 - 609 Gflops FP16
1500 mW - 700 MHz - 358 Gflops FP32 - 717 Gflops FP16
2000 mW - 780 MHz - 400 Gflops FP32 - 800 Gflops FP16

3x SM:

1000 mW - 510 MHz - 392 Gflops FP32 - 783 Gflops FP16
1500 mW - 600 MHz - 461 Gflops FP32 - 922 Gflops FP16
2000 mW - 670 MHz - 515 Gflops FP32 - 1030 Gflops FP16

As you can see, a 3x SM configuration can achieve nearly the same performance with 1000mW that a 2x SM configuration can with twice that, and a full 50% more than a 1x SM config can manage with 2000mW at hand.

This isn't to say that I expect a 3x SM GPU in the NX, but there would certainly be a sizeable performance jump over 2x SMs if they decided to do so.

Yup. Also osirisblack's comment about ports having little to no issue running on NX.

I'm starting to consider the possibility that we've been looking at this in reverse: the NX doesn't "overclock" itself or run "at full speed" when docked, it simply runs at a certain clockspeed by default and then downclocks itself to save battery when you play on the go on its lower res screen, but it's still able to show the same results on it due to that resolution (540p) needing less resources.

If we look at it this way vs "portable with a tv out", then it actually is a hybrid, and it uses mobile components because they're a much better fit for a configuration like this (the obvious trade off being having to use less powerful hardware than a "true" home console). Maybe it would also explain lherre not hearing about different "modes" and df not reporting anything about it. The hardware is that, and devs program for it.

I also wonder if they can design a cooling system inside the device that it's active when it has to dissipate the heat produced by the hardware when we play on the TV, and that turns off the fan (or at least runs much quieter) when used as a standalone handheld with much lower clockspeeds, similar in a way to the 0 fan tech we've seen in many modern GPUs. Maybe this would also explain the df report about that noisy TX1 fan inside the devkits.

This would make sense to me too.

There's absolutely no way the devkit would be battery powered, right? In that case, the target specs would not depend on battery power, so the devkits could easily just run at the TX1 base clockspeed, or whatever Pascal Tegra speed is equivalent to the (potentially) overclocked TX1 in the devkit.

Then, the OS provided in the final product would automatically downclock when on battery power which scales game resolution accordingly. Not sure if it could even possibly be that simple to downscale, but based on the information we have now I don't see what else the Eurogamer article could be describing.

KAL2006

Banned
I think price is the key thing here. If this is just a handheld with a HDMI. The price range should be handheld price range. So this should be $200 which is matching the price of n3DS XL. If the power is better than expected I'd let $250 slide.

Once again for people expecting a PS4 and XB1 style system and are calling doom and gloom and the end of Nintendo consoles. What the hell were you expecting Nintendo would have failed if they were just going to be a PS4 clone especially because the userbase are already on PS4 and XB1 and they are soon releasing their new iteration which would just make their PS4 clone fail more.

Save for power leven and being able to play on the go as well I personally still view this as already till hybrid mainly not because of hardware but for software. If Nintendo move their home console developers to this device then in my eyes this is their next console. If the next big Zelda, Mario and Xenoblade is on NX in my eyes this is their Wii U successor. If the system allows local Multiplayer with standard controls on the TV using 1 device then in my eyes this is a home console. If the interface and software is made for TV use then in my eyes this is a Wii U successor. However if the interface is obviously made for handheld only and looks as weird as a touchscreen interface like Playstation TV then I'd say this is primarily a handheld. If there is no local Multiplayer support on the TV using 1 NX then in my eyes this is a handheld. If the games are basically ports, 2D Zelda and Pokemon but none of their big sequel from their consoles don't get sequels then I'd see this as a handheld.

G.ZZZ

The bolded isn't true. In fact, pretty much the opposite is true, as in a tightly thermally constrained environment (i.e. a handheld) the marginal benefit to increased parallelism (i.e. more SMs) can be quite large.

To demonstrate, let's look at a power curve for Pascal I've put together. Unlike my previous power curves for A72 and A53 CPU clusters (which are based on solid real-world data from Anandtech and should be considered reasonably accurate), this is a much more rough approximation based on just four data points:

- TSMC's claims of "40% higher speed" and "60% power saving" over 20nm, each applied separately to the TX1's GPU drawing 1.5W at 500MHz (divided by 2 for 750mW per SM).
- Power draw readings from the GTX1080 before and after overclocking (full board power readings, minus GDDR5X, divided by number of SMs).

Obviously I'm extrapolating a lot from fairly poor data, but hopefully it should be in the right ballpark, and enough for our discussion in any case. (I should also note that this isn't strictly a measure of power draw for the SMs themselves, but rather a measure of the draw of an entire Pascal GPU "per SM", so including other components like ROPs, TMUs, etc., assuming they're always in roughly the same proportion to SMs). In any case, here's the power curve:

pascal_powercurve.png

The important thing to note is that, like virtually all IC power curves, it's not linear, and for a given increase in clock speed you require a much larger increase in power consumption to get you there. What this means is that you'll get better performance by using more SMs at a lower clock speed than fewer SMs at a higher clock speed.

Let's look at the clock speed (and raw floating point performance) that could be achieved with different numbers of SMs within the power constrains we might expect for a handheld GPU:

1x SM:

2x SM:

3x SM:

As you can see, a 3x SM configuration can achieve nearly the same performance with 1000mW that a 2x SM configuration can with twice that, and a full 50% more than a 1x SM config can manage with 2000mW at hand.

This isn't to say that I expect a 3x SM GPU in the NX, but there would certainly be a sizeable performance jump over 2x SMs if they decided to do so.

Thanks for the graph clarification. I guess it's still somewhat possible then.

ggx2ac

I see that some people had too much hope for a handheld to output at the level of a current gen console going by the doom statements.

I don't know why anyone was thinking that. I could see that NX is powerful as a handheld, but I couldn't see it outputting AAA games at 1080p otherwise that'd mean it would be significantly more powerful than Xbox one.

Once more, I also doubt any external GPU boost if we go by those MCV rumours that the device will be cheap, it's not going to make sense if it's cheap and more powerful than Xbox one. Only that it is less powerful.

Only exception if SCD is released separately explaining the cheap price but, that would have to have been known by devs already so they could manage to port games which is really doubtful.

The detachable controllers for local multiplayer, they are enough to consider it a hybrid somehow. Not a fan of the whole concept, in fact this detachable controllers sound like a less than elegant solution.

You forget that the NX could have Bluetooth, so that all your current Bluetooth Nintendo controllers could connect to the NX. That is how I would think of it as a hybrid since we can't compare it to a console by power but by local multiplayer.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Read the post he was responding to.

What you said is the exact same thing as what we mean when we say that the chip runs at full speed in console mode and downclocks in handheld mode.

I see that some people had too much hope for a handheld to output at the level of a current gen console going by the doom statements.

I don't know why anyone was thinking that. I could see that NX is powerful as a handheld, but I couldn't see it outputting AAA games at 1080p otherwise that'd mean it would be significantly more powerful than Xbox one.

Once more, I also doubt any external GPU boost if we go by those MCV rumours that the device will be cheap, it's not going to make sense if it's cheap and more powerful than Xbox one. Only that it is less powerful.

Only exception if SCD is released separately explaining the cheap price but, that would have to have been known by devs already so they could manage to port games which is really doubtful.

You forget that the NX could have Bluetooth, so that all your current Bluetooth Nintendo controllers could connect to the NX. That is how I would think of it as a hybrid since we can't compare it to a console by power but by local multiplayer.

I just want to be clear that this is not what I was thinking at all.

pascal_powercurve.png

1x SM:

2x SM:

3x SM:

How many Watt's do we expect the SOC will use?

What you said is the exact same thing as what we mean when we say that the chip runs at full speed in console mode and downclocks in handheld mode.

He's saying that the devkit could be running at full speed without the option for any other mode, since the devkit will never been running on battery.

This allows devs to target the full speed specs, rather than see two different power levels at different clock speeds. Then the OS natively downclocks the portable when it's removed from the power supply and does so in a way that seamlessly scales down the game and the processing power required to run it.

I don't know if this is possible but how else do you reconcile overclocked or even full speed TX1s in the devkits? Even if they are designed to simulate the power of a Pascal Tegrea the Pascal chip would likely be using far too much power for a portable at that power level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom