• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp Thread |OT| - Make America Great For Once

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Giants defense is what I'm primarily interested to see. In no specific order:

- He'll be on limited snaps but what will JPP look like without the club? Reports from camp have said he's a monster right now with something to prove.
- The 54 million dollar man - Vernon's first snaps as a Giant as well as Snacks Harrison in the middle. This is a completely remade defensive line and I'm curious to see how they gel.
- Eli Apples first snaps in a live game. I fully expect the rookie to struggle out of the gate and he likely won't be out with the first team but needs to show why he was worth the #10 overall pick. He'll likely get a bunch of snaps with the second team.
- Darian Thompson at free safety. The Giants third round pick has all but wrapped up the starting safety gig next to Landon Collins. The coaches love him, McAdoo in a strange moment of frankness told the media that he's the starter. I'm very interested to see him play in a live game finally.

On the offensive side:

- Running back rotation. Rashad is the starter and behind that there's a log jam of guys. Vereen will be there. Will Williams or Darkwa get the next spot? Paul Perkins will make the roster so Bobby Rainey is the odd man out.
- The debut of Sterling Shephard. Another kid with a ton of camp buzz. He's pencilled in as a starter at WR. He'll be moved outside but he'll play a ton of slot with Cruz being out.
- The tight end rotation. We have 5 viable options there at the moment. LaCosse is making a name for himself with his versatility and both Will Tye and Donnell are likely #1 and #2. What's Will Johnson bring to the table and will the TE spot force Nikita Whitlock out of the final 53 considering how McAdoo uses his tight ends?

I'm mostly interested on the offense
+Tannehill in new offense (even though it's vanilla offense/defense)
+How Tunsil Looks, hopefully he goes one on one with OV
+Carroo gets first unit reps

but:
-Foster isn't playing
-Parker isn't playing

So my interest is limited there....

On defense
-Wake/Suh/William/jones are out
-Howard is still nursing injury
-Mitchell is also nursing injury

So....a bunch of rookies/back ups will play on defense most of who won't be on the team, I don't care at all about defense.

I just hope we both come out of it injury free :)

BigAT

I'm mostly interested on the offense
+Tannehill in new offense (even though it's vanilla offense/defense)
+How Tunsil Looks, hopefully he goes one on one with OV
+Carroo gets first unit reps

How has Carroo been doing in camp so far? I thought you guys got a real steal in getting him in the 3rd.

bionic77

GAMEDAY!

CEc19ibUEAApYLX.jpg

Let us rejoice!
This is probably wrong of me to do, but every time I see a Raiders chick I always assume they have at least one STD.

Fantomex

SoCal is the worst part of Best Coast after all.

Ya'll need to fix your homeless populations, real estate, and cost of living before you can call yourself the best part of the best coast fam.

"what I like about San Fran and the reason I picked this city to do my special is because of all the major cities in America somehow people get along here better than anywhere else I’ve seen in the country. That’s right. That’s right. And I always admire San Fran for that. And today, I’ve realized how you did it. Put all the niggers on the other side of that bridge. There’s nothing – this shit ain’t happy on that side. If you leave San Francisco, they’re like, “Bye, thanks for coming to San Francisco. Come back in April, we’re having a sale on Birkenstocks.” As soon as you get to the other side, “Welcome to Oakland, bitch.” Click. Click. It’s fucking crazy." Dave Chappelle

Apartheid up in that worst side of the best coast.

Cortland Innegan signing for the Saints.

He wasn't uber gutter trash for the Panthers last year. Nor was he a distraction in the locker room.

He's old as shit tho.

And you know, still Cortland Innegan.

Fox318

Went to the World Trade center memorial. Last time I was there was when the buildings were still up.

Gotta say it's very disturbing to see people smirking and taking photos and selfies.

Fox318

I would be mildly depressed, mabey even sullen, dude...
I can't really blame them.

I went with my father who was a rescue worker who lost about 50 friends that day and he also rescued the last man alive from the trade center. So many people I knew.

They did a fantastic job with the museum.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
What to watch for:

Pittsburgh Steelers 2016

The Steelers came close to defeating the Super Bowl champions in the AFC divisional round in the 2015 season. They look to continue to progress as a team. The offense should, once again, be explosive. The defense is still under construction.

OFFENSE

Despite being decimated by injury last year, the Steelers' offense was very effective. The offense did lose some key players in the offseason. Left tackle Kelvin Beachum went to the Jags via free agency, tight end Heath Miller retired and wide out Martavis Bryant was suspended for the year. Other than filling the gaping holes, the offense should be set. I'd say that 22 of the 25 roster spots are mortal locks.

QB - Landry Jones appears to be set to backup Big Ben. Bruce Gradkowski, who missed last year due to injury, may be fighting for the third spot with second year pro, Dustin Vaughan.

RB - Louis Nix appears to be set at fullback. Le'Veon Bell's apparently impending suspesion may lead to some consternation, but DeAngelo Williams filled in great for him last year and this year should be more of the same. Fitzgerald Toussant, the guy who fumbled the game away against the Broncos, and Brandon Brown-Dukes will fight for a roster spot.

TE - Not only did long time stalwart, Heath Miller retire, but so did Matt Spaeth. There is a gaping hole in the offense at this spot. The Steelers signed Ladarius Green, born in Berlin, aka, Milchjon's favorite player, out of San Diego. He's been rehabbing an offseason surgery and hasn't resumed practicing. Green should also help offset the loss of Bryant, being a long, tall and fast reciever. His blocking is an unknown, but nowhere near Miller's level. *He also may be having concussion issues and may never play again. Jesse James returns for his second season after a decent rookie year. Xavier Grimble, who's been fighting to make the league for a couple of years, is an intriguing prospect. There are a bunch of guys in camp getting a look, maybe one of them will break out.

WR - Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton and Darius Heyward-Bey are known commodities. But who will replace Martavis Bryant? Most Steeler fans are hoping it's second year player, Sammie Coates. Coates is very athletic and has apparently added some route running efficiency during the offseason. At the back end of the group, a battle is brewing between late round draft pick, Demarcus Ayers and second year udfa, Eli Rogers. It will probably come down to whoever can return punts better.

OL - The return of Maurkice Pouncey will be a boon for the squad. Left tackle is the spot to watch, as incumbent Allejandro Villanueva will battle with Ryan Harris, who was signed away from the Broncos. Fourth round draft pick, Jerald Hawkins, will look to make the team, probably not battle for a starting position.

DEFENSE

Under first year coordinator, Keith Butler, the Steelers defense was aggressive, featuring more sacks and takeaways. They still gave up a lot of passing yards. The keys will be to be able to generate a pass rush without blitzing a ton of defensive backs and making sure tackles.

DL - The starting ends are all-world, Cam Heyward and Stephon Tuitt. Unfortunately, they played too many snaps as there was no quality depth at the position. At nose tackle, Steve McClendon went to the Jets, so big Dan McCullers will be thrust into the position. Javon Hargrave may have something to say about that, however. Drafted in the 3rd round of the draft, Hargrave is the Yin to McCullers Yang. Hargrave is short and quick. McCullers is big and strong. Hargrave may also spell the ends, especially in two man fronts. Ricardo Mathews was signed, also out of San Diego, as a back up end. Hopefully, one of the young guys in camp, be it Cashaud Lyons, Davante Sigler or LT Walton, will show enough to lighten the load during the year.

ILB - The starters, Lawrence Timmons and Ryan Shazier, and the primary backup, Vince Williams, are all fantastic. There's still a spot on the roster, though. I expect it to be filled either by Steven Johnson, who was signed as a special teamer, or Tyler Matakevich. Matakevich has apparently been having a good camp, even though he lacks the ideal size and athleticism for the position. He won the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and the Chuck Bednarik Award in college, so he has the instincts, but he will have to show up on special teams to make the squad.

OLB - Probably the area of most consternation on the team, as there has been no consistent pass rush from this position. Last year's first round pick, Bud Dupree, will look to build upon a decent rookie season. Can Jarvis Jones find some pass rushing moves that work? Can James Harrison continue to defy time? Arthur Moats returns but he's just a guy. Travis Feeney was drafted but seems to be a practice squad candidate as he doesn't have the size to hold the edge. The person to watch is second year man, Anthony Chickillo. He's been having a good camp and the Steelers could sure use some help here.

CB - William Gay is the best Pittsburgh has, which isn't saying much. Ross Cockrell played decently after being picked up late last year, hopefully he continues to improve. Last year's second round pick, Senquez Golson, will apparently miss the year to injury. Again. This years first round pick, Artie Burns, doesn't appear to be ready but will hopefully show something in the preseason games. This leaves a severe lack of personnel. Doran Grant, a late pick last year, needs to develop quickly. Sean Davis, this year's second round pick and ostensibly a safety, has been playing a lot of slot corner in camp. Can he cover in the slot well enough to shore up the defense? More on him below.

S - Mike Mitchell played very well last year and will continue to be a stalwart in the deep secondary. Robert Golden enters camp as the presumed strong safety. He lacks athleticism, but plays hard and knows where to be. Shamarko Thomas, who was supposed to be the ss by now, needs to show that he can play at this level without making a dumb mistake every other play. That leaves the aforementioned Sean Davis. It appeared that the coaching staff had big plans for him to play quite a bit in sub packages as a wildcard. That may be out the window if he needs to be the slot corner.

SPECIAL TEAMS

While both kicking positions seem set, the battle will be for the return positions. Can someone show the capability to return kickoffs? Can someone return punts so that Antonio Brown can get a rest?

CONCLUSION

As it has been for a few years now, the offense is the stronger of the two units. Can the defense make any improvements to make the Steelers a true championship caliber team?

Fox318

What to watch for when watching Jets.

How will oline play?
How is the running game with Forte?
Will Geno get cut?
Has Regis lost a step and have other CBS stepped up?

squicken

Charles Robinson ‏
@CharlesRobinson

#Cowboys may have lucked out losing Foles. Was told he needed extra coddling and it wore thin w/ #Rams staff. #Dallas doesn't need that.

er Foles, was told his confidence suffered w/ mistakes & required "a lot of back-patting".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom