• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week One: UCLA MEGATHREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Nebraska will go 6-7 this year.

fresno - w
wyoming - L
oregon - L
Northwestern - L
illinois - w
indiana - L
purdue - w
wisconsin - L
ohio state - L L
minnesota - w
maryland - pity w
iowa - w

we've also never beaten texas since 1999, including facing them in.. the you guessed it, the conference championship game.

you mean the 2-10 Wyoming football team will beat Nebraska?

It's part of what makes the Nebraska posturing so funny. Mind you they did play for the Big 12 title in 2009 and 2010 but that's an eternity in modern college football.

I hate the comparisons like this. Someone was doing it with Big Ten teams who won on ties (i.e., Iowa won a conference title, because they didn't play tOSU, who was undefeated and won the national title... Northwestern won a B1GB title on a 3-way tie in 2000 and Nebraska beat that team in a bowl game 66-17). Nebraska has played in 4 conference championship games and in one national championship game since 1999. Not as good as it should be, but not terrible. They haven't been able to win the big game (a key flaw for Pelini too)

But don't get me wrong, the 16 year drought is unacceptable. It's basically what got Pelini fired. You don't get to go 7 years at Nebraska without winning a championship.

Oklahoma had a 13 year stretch
Alabama had a 10-year stretch, Auburn had a 16-year stretch, Georgia had a 20-year stretch
Washington is in a 15 year drought.

It's not unheard of, especially with more parity, and fewer "ties" crowning multiple conference champions.

I'm sure you know this but it's worth repeating that OSU has the fewest returning starters in FBS. I don't doubt Urban's ability to win with young guys but if UM figures out their QB situation they're winning that conference. Having such a huge early test against OU doesn't help matters. I'm sure they'll have a fine 9-3/10-2 season and maybe sneak into the NY6 but I don't believe they're a top 10 team.

yeah but the kids Ohio State is paying for are ready to play. tOSU gonna be nasty

Oklahoma had a 13 year stretch
Alabama had a 10-year stretch, Auburn had a 16-year stretch, Georgia had a 20-year stretch
Washington is in a 15 year drought.

And none of these schools is located in Lincoln Nebraska, a fine city mind you but not a place with much prestige to 18 year old kids anymore. Oklahoma has the benefit of being so close to Texas that they can count on siphoning off talent. Alabama/Auburn/Georiga are in the South East which has gone to a different level for college football since Auburn got shut out of the MNC awhile back, Washington certainly lacks the history and our ingrained resources/culture of most of the others so they could certainly fall into the same blackhole, I'd say the next 2-3 years will determine that.

Pretty excited about seeing the new video board Saturday.

The old one was terrible and I really hope they stop playing that shitty/distorted cannon sound clip.
Very jealous.

And yeah the old board was crap. It was crap when it was originally installed. Video will be one of the better ones in the country now. And the terrible sound system has also been upgraded significantly, they claim. Sound tests start tomorrow.

I'm also convinced that cannon was rendered on a Nintendo 64. I'm just glad the NIMBYs behind the stadium seemed to have been told to shut up and sit down. They were apparently also doing fireworks test last week. So maybe we can start incorporating better gameday sound-related pieces.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
And none of these schools is located in Lincoln Nebraska, a fine city mind you but not a place with much prestige to 18 year old kids anymore. Oklahoma has the benefit of being so close to Texas that they can count on siphoning off talent. Alabama/Auburn/Georiga are in the South East which has gone to a different level for college football since Auburn got shut out of the MNC awhile back, Washington certainly lacks the history and our ingrained resources/culture of most of the others so they could certainly fall into the same blackhole, I'd say the next 2-3 years will determine that.

but that's the thing. It's not like those schools stopped getting talent. OU had plenty of talent during some of that stretch. Esp at the end with Blake buying Stoops OU title team.

Coaching matters a lot. Process matters a lot.

Talent does matter, but we've seen Nebraska recruit at a high level both with Callahan and now with Riley. Is that recruiting at a level to continual compete for a national title? No. And is that achievable? I don't know.

But can Nebraska recruit nationally and well enough to compete with Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois and Minnesota to win its division on a regular basis? Certainly. Can Nebraska recruit well enough to be able to compete and beat tOSU/MSU/Mich in Indy? Certainly.

Lkr

ESPN Ranking of Blue Blood CFB Teams:

T1. Bama
T1. ND
T1. tOSU
T1. Oklahoma
T1. USC
6. Michigan
7. Texas
8. Nebraska

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

This list is pretty funny if you only started watching CFB 3 years ago like I did.
Is Nebraska still a blue blood in 2016?
Florida ahead of Florida State is also funny. They were playing SEC ball when we were an all girls school and we still managed to win a title before them

Is there a pickem? Would anyone be interested in a spread based game instead of confidence if there isn't one already?

andycapps

3 days until some ridiculous games, y'all.

6VyUv5D.gif

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Coach probably wanted a guy down on the depth chart to get experience during those games anyway. It would have been a different story if they played anyone decent in the first few games

Zamora only has 9 career receptions, with only 1 of those from Russell and only 2 of them not in garbage time. He could probably use the experience as much as anybody, honestly.

I think the next most experienced WR they have behind Cannon is Hawthorne, a senior with just 26 career catches and 274 career yards.

Alright boys and girls, since were only a few days out lets see those Arm Chairs we all QB from during the great Saturday nights of the fall.

This will be my first season in my house and ive finished up nearly everything in the "man cave" (terrible term). Built the bar and finished a lot of the basement myself, previous owner only had it half done.

Post em up!

Im still working on some shelves for next to the fridge to put glasses and stuff. I also have a table and barstools behind the couch you cant see.

I may have a severe dislike of all things tOSU (Bama fan here), but this is a thing of beauty. Well done sir!

LosDaddie

Banned
Wife told me last night that I can have most of Saturday to veg out on the couch and watch football all day.

It'll only cost me money for the kids' birthday pictures and some new shoes for her...and whatever they eat.

Lunar15

3 days until some ridiculous games, y'all.

I feel like it will please you in some way to know that the only cornhole set I have on hand to use with my friends is a Georgia bulldogs one that my sister left me with when she had to move.

Personally I don't really care because I don't hate the dawgs but one game a season, however all my friends are totally disgusted by it.

That said, I'm getting someone to decorate a UF one for me so people will actually play cornhole with me again.

andycapps

I feel like it will please you in some way to know that the only cornhole set I have on hand to use with my friends is a Georgia bulldogs one that my sister left me with when she had to move.

Personally I don't really care because I don't hate the dawgs but one game a season, however all my friends are totally disgusted by it.

That said, I'm getting someone to decorate a UF one for me so people will actually play cornhole with me again.
You're right, that does please me in some way. You should send that set to me haha. Wouldn't mind having one.

tebunker

Banned
Alright boys and girls, since were only a few days out lets see those Arm Chairs we all QB from during the great Saturday nights of the fall.

This will be my first season in my house and ive finished up nearly everything in the "man cave" (terrible term). Built the bar and finished a lot of the basement myself, previous owner only had it half done.

Post em up!

Im still working on some shelves for next to the fridge to put glasses and stuff. I also have a table and barstools behind the couch you cant see.

Nice Basement, but God do I hate tOSU. Living in NEO has been the worst for being a Bama fan.

I painted one of my basement walls to match up the Alabama Helmets really well. Never got the courage to try and sketch out and paint a number, either 55 or 10 for those Bama fans wondering.

The real issue is that my kids use the basement as their playroom and its a wreck. I also only have an older hand me down 1080i / 720p tv down there so not sure I even want to watch games there.

I can post pics later. We also have a Black and Gold wall for VCU but thats for Basketball season. Need to re-finish the bar too.

JHall

i can't stand all this Tennessee hype, they do this shit every year then they fall flat on their face. Which is amazing to watch. Wake up Rocky Top fans, Pey Pey and Phillip Fulmer aren't coming back.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
i can't stand all this Tennessee hype, they do this shit every year then they fall flat on their face. Which is amazing to watch. Wake up Rocky Top fans, Pey Pey and Phillip Fulmer aren't coming back.

Tennessee was at its best with T. Martin. Pey Pey never really won anything (though he was my favorite player in college and pros after Elway retired).

tebunker

Banned
In all fairness the team has talent. They fail to execute even when playing well. See Alabama game last year.

A lot of that comes from coaching.

Hurd and Dobbs are good players.

But I don't see a disciplined team that can weather the storm. Also you don't get an extra week to rest and prepare for Bama this year.

andycapps

Let them enjoy this hype. There's no way they don't win the division.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
My hopes for this season:

fresno - w
wyoming - W
oregon - L
Northwestern - W
illinois - W
indiana - W
purdue - W
wisconsin - W
ohio state - L
minnesota - W
maryland - W
iowa - W

This schedule is bad and Nebraska should feel terrible if we can't win 9 games. I am giving 10 games due to our karma buildup from so many last-second losses last year. Let's do this, Nebraska!

andycapps

They should win the division, but they won't. It's the Tennessee way.
Come on man, get with the program. Keep hyping up Tennessee. They got this. This is their season. They've been building for this brick by brick. Butch is finally going to learn how to coach and this will be the year it all pays off.

Draxal

Looks like Michigan's WR Ahmir Mitchell might transfer to Rutgers.

Really odd, as he's losing a year of eligibility due to conference rules, I honestly thought Temple was the top candidate.

Iowa
vs Miami (OH) - W
vs Iowa State - W - This was scheduled to be ISU's year to get the upset, but I don't think the new guy pulls it off.
vs North Dakota St - L
@ Rutgers - W
vs Northwestern - W
@ Minnesota - W
@ Purdue - W
vs Wisconsin - L
@ Penn State - L
vs Michigan - L
@ Illinois - W
vs Nebraska - L

Bob's Towing Bowl vs some other scrub team that also doesn't deserve a bowl - L

Piggus

Post em up!

Lookin' good!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Post em up!

I demand more pictures of that dog.

I'm pretty sure the Tennessee hype is driven by ESPN because they have some down-season Gameday thing planned and they really need old Rocky Top to be trending to pull in those viewers.

Jokes on them. I watch even the shitty games.

Jhriad

Wake Forest has a conference title more recently than Nebraska. Different conferences but still.

Nebraska has 46 conference titles. Wake Forest has 2. Regardless of "Tradition" or any of the more subjective advantages and disadvantages every school has, the respective financial resources, facilities, brand recognitition, etc. at each institution should make that an obviously flawed, if not meaningless, comparison. The ceiling and floor for a program like Nebraska, even still, is considerably higher than a place like Wake Forest.

And none of these schools is located in Lincoln Nebraska, a fine city mind you but not a place with much prestige to 18 year old kids anymore.

The disadvantage of Lincoln is the distance from most major population centers, not the city itself. Few recruits actually want to live in Norman, Waco, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, or Clemson. Lincoln isn't a draw but let's not pretend that it is a real factor in the decline of the program. The city is rarely a draw for any program unless you're lucky enough to be someplace like Los Angeles or Austin. I'd like to think that we all understand the unique weaknesses of Nebraska's program better than that. While the program itself might not be the recruiting tool it might have been in 1997, lets not diminish the advantages programs like Nebraska have at their disposal.

But can Nebraska recruit nationally and well enough to compete with Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois and Minnesota to win its division on a regular basis? Certainly. Can Nebraska recruit well enough to be able to compete and beat tOSU/MSU/Mich in Indy? Certainly.

Exactly. Not that we'll ever likely have the same depth of talent that a program like Ohio State has but there's no reason why we can't recruit and develop enough good talent to be more competitive than we have been recently.

Well gee golly, they may just have the heart and the fortitude to beat our guys! I might get a little frustrated, but nothing a quick game of cribbage will deal with!

If you like, feel free to don the Youngstown State gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom