• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Witch. Best horror movie of the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Just saw it. Really liked it, acting was great, especially the two brats.

I think it would have worked better if they didn't show any witches until the end. But I think a better ending would have been her killing the goat instead of signing the book, going back to the village to tell them what happened. Then cut to the people of the village amassed for a witch burning, and they're burning her, thinking she's the witch.

Still a great movie, might be the only horror movie I've ever liked with Ravenous.

I liked it. I would like to see it was close captioning next time because People are so loud in the movie theaters. The conjuring 2 is my favorite horror movie of the year though.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
This is that movie where the little boy is turned into a mouse right? That film was great!

Dalek

I watched this and I was blown away-this was the work of a skilled filmmaker. I don't have much else to say that hasn't already been covered by other GAFfers in here, but thanks for recommending this movie so much because I probally would have passed it off as a typical horror movie.

A really great cast too. The boy who played the older son had a few really challenging scenes for an actor his age, in my opinion-and he played them great. The scene where he is stuck in the branches and just trying to get out-It looked so convincing and not "acting"-he truly looked desperate and trapped.

Apparently the director is working on a Nosferatu remake...

yo sign me up

It's already had a great remake so this dude has some lofty ambitions but considering how on point the atmosphere of the witch was I think he just might pull it off

Also got a rasputin miniseries coming up too. Dude is going all in on the occult huh.

It's already had a great remake so this dude has some lofty ambitions but considering how on point the atmosphere of the witch was I think he just might pull it off

Also got a rasputin miniseries coming up too. Dude is going all in on the occult huh.

Wait, what remake are you talking about? I've never heard about another Nosferatu remake in the wilds anywhere.

I don't know if I posted in this thread or not but I totally fucking agree, it is one of the best fucking horror movies I've seen in my life.

I mean it is the best IN YEARS. This was like watching something from the 70s.

EDIT:

Werner Herzog's nosferatu. It's a really solid horror movie.

Fuck yeah this and the original are amazing.

I'd love one from this director though.

Saw it last night I was disappointed because it was not scary at all. I was expecting something close to the babadook in the horror, I did enjoy the movie tho.

My blu ray should be arriving today, can't wait to watch it again.

If you want a laugh
or cry
read the one star reviews on Amazon.

Zombine

Banned
My blu ray should be arriving today, can't wait to watch it again.

If you want a laugh
or cry
read the one star reviews on Amazon.

They didn't expect to have to put in work while watching a horror film. I didn't know what to expect either but I do agree that the dialogue and the accent is incredibly hard to follow without subtitles.

I loved the film regardless, and I thought that the atmosphere it created was wonderful. I genuinely felt like I was watching a creepy old folk tale come to life.

To each his own I guess. I like horror movies but this one did nothing for me. Entirely skipable. I know others who were excited to see it as well and came away disappointed.

Watching this with my dad, and we get to the scene with
the baby. I ask him if he understood what the witch was doing...

He thought the witch was mashing berries or something. You know, because they didn't show her cutting up the baby.

Yeah

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I hope it's okay to bump this. I didn't want to make my own thread.

Fuck, I came out of this film feeling like I needed to shower. The scene with
the son's death will stick in my mind for eternity.
His expressions and lines took me entirely out of the mindset that I was watching a movie, and I felt as though I was right there watching it happen. Ugh, what a film.

Dalek

I hope it's okay to bump this. I didn't want to make my own thread.

Fuck, I came out of this film feeling like I needed to shower. The scene with
the son's death will stick in my mind for eternity.
His expressions and lines took me entirely out of the mindset that I was watching a movie, and I felt as though I was right there watching it happen. Ugh, what a film.

Dude I felt the same way. That scene was out of this world and that kid actor sold it. Amazing.

kai3345

Banned
Just got done watching it with my parents. My second time, their first. Still floored by how brilliantly this film ever so steadily ratchets up the tension. The final act of this movie is incredible.

Monocle

Just saw it. Really liked it, acting was great, especially the two brats.

I think it would have worked better if they didn't show any witches until the end. But I think a better ending would have been her killing the goat instead of signing the book, going back to the village to tell them what happened. Then cut to the people of the village amassed for a witch burning, and they're burning her, thinking she's the witch.

Still a great movie, might be the only horror movie I've ever liked with Ravenous.
That's exactly the sort of ending I didn't want to see. To me, brutal Puritans are boring and the supernatural stuff is interesting. I'm glad the movie didn't go that route. It really would have put a damper on the experience for me.

Artdayne

I just finished watching this for the first time. I really liked it. The acting was good, the cinematography, I really liked the more simplistic design in a thriller/horror film. I may need to watch this again though as it was hard to hear what they were saying at times and I feel there are some other things I could catch up on with a second pass.

joe2187

Banned
I dont understand how this movie got so much hype.

It was boring, and then it got really stupid and cheesy. Am I supposed to be afraid of goats and witches that look like they came from a set of the new scooby doo movie?

The ending scene alone made everything I've watched retroactively much less interesting. I dont understand this movie. I usually love the slow paced tense horror movies, this was just a slog to watch and the payoff was just one of the most unsatisfying and banal I've seen in a while.

I dont understand how this movie got so much hype.

It was boring, and then it got really stupid and cheesy. Am I supposed to be afraid of goats and witches that look like they came from a set of the new scooby doo movie?

The ending scene alone made everything I've watched retroactively much less interesting. I dont understand this movie. I usually love the slow paced tense horror movies, this was just a slog to watch and the payoff was just one of the most unsatisfying and banal I've seen in a while.

giphy.gif

Just saw it based on GAF hype. As a horror movie it wasn't very scary but the acting was top notch. Also it blows my mind that some people actually held those beliefs and superstitions back then.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Just saw it based on GAF hype. As a horror movie it wasn't very scary but the acting was top notch. Also it blows my mind that some people actually held those beliefs and superstitions back then.

It does? Really?

Islam, Scientology and Christianity are some of the most regressive, confusing, and shockingly violent fairy tales ever, and millions upon millions of people use these stories as the foundation of how they live their lives, and is the basis of their worldview.

Nope, mind is not blown.

Saw this movie.

Let me preface everything by saying the guy who played the father (William) deserves an Oscar nomination at the very least. He was spellbinding. I don't think I've ever seen such an incredible performance in a horror movie. He actually reminded me of DDL's John Proctor from The Crucible, which is no small talk. With that being said, everyone gave a really good performance, especially the kids. Interestingly, both the mom and dad had roles in Game of Thrones.

But I think I have a few questions on the motivations and actions of some of the characters. The parents knew of the witch that lives in the forest. Which is why they forbade the kids from venturing in there. The twins do mention the witch that lives in the forest. Now I don't know why they did not investigate this avenue first instead of blaming a wolf or their own daughter. I was expecting the father to reveal his knowledge of the witch some half way through the movie. The twins and the Black Phillip was somewhat confusing. So were they faking when Caleb was having epiphany? Did they really speak to Black Phillip? The actions of father were also confusing as well, locking the kids up in the shed. The witch's arrival in the shed was absolutely unnerving, but It wasn't clear why she destroys the place and takes the twins but leaves Thomasin. And then, the dad gets killed by Black Phillip. Did the goat mind control him to drop the axe? I did not understand "Corruption, Thou art my Father" line. Guy chopped wood all throughout the film only to get buried under it. Finally, if the mom already signed her name in Devil's book, then she's taken by the devil. I'm not sure why she was still blaming Thomasin for everything.

Also, I didn't completely understand Thomasin's transformation. She kills her mom and has no one left, but then she joins Black Phillip?

Steamlord

Saw this movie.

Let me preface everything by saying the guy who played the father (William) deserves an Oscar nomination at the very least. He was spellbinding. I don't think I've ever seen such an incredible performance in a horror movie. He actually reminded me of DDL's John Proctor from The Crucible, which is no small talk. With that being said, everyone gave a really good performance, especially the kids. Interestingly, both the mom and dad had roles in Game of Thrones.

But I think I have a few questions on the motivations and actions of some of the characters. The parents knew of the witch that lives in the forest. Which is why they forbade the kids from venturing in there. The twins do mention the witch that lives in the forest. Now I don't know why they did not investigate this avenue first instead of blaming a wolf or their own daughter. I was expecting the father to reveal his knowledge of the witch some half way through the movie. The twins and the Black Phillip was somewhat confusing. So were they faking when Caleb was having epiphany? Did they really speak to Black Phillip? The actions of father were also confusing as well, locking the kids up in the shed. The witch's arrival in the shed was absolutely unnerving, but It wasn't clear why she destroys the place and takes the twins but leaves Thomasin. And then, the dad gets killed by Black Phillip. Did the goat mind control him to drop the axe? I did not understand "Corruption, Thou art my Father" line. Guy chopped wood all throughout the film only to get buried under it. Finally, if the mom already signed her name in Devil's book, then she's taken by the devil. I'm not sure why she was still blaming Thomasin for everything.

Also, I didn't completely understand Thomasin's transformation. She kills her mom and has no one left, but then she joins Black Phillip?

They didn't know there was a witch, they just forbade the kids from entering the forest because it was dangerous. Mercy pretends to be the witch because Black Phillip may have been communicating with the twins, or she may have just been playing around using the superstitions of the time, which Thomasin then uses to turn the tables and scare the shit out of Mercy. At that point nobody knows for sure there's a witch.

I think the twins were faking not remembering their prayers and their fits during Caleb's possession, but that's sort of ambiguous. Psychologically I think it's possible to fake it while also being convinced that it's real. At that point the twins (or Mercy at least, with Jonas just playing along) wanted to frame Thomasin as a witch since Thomasin had threatened Mercy earlier, and Mercy may or may not have actually believed Thomasin was a witch. It's easy to play the blame game when everyone involved is scared out of their wits. Then Thomasin turned around and blamed the twins, so William, not knowing which if any of them is actually a witch, locked them all in the barn. At this point they've basically seen irrefutable proof that there is witchcraft afoot, with Caleb's possession and regurgitating a whole apple, which is a callback to his lie from earlier.

As for why the witch leaves Thomasin, it seems like it was the coven / the devil's plan all along to make Thomasin desperate enough to join them, and they probably used the twins for one of their spells like they did Samuel.

When William sees the barn destroyed and Black Phillip attacks him, he finally realizes what's going on and berates himself for not realizing it sooner and fucking his entire family over. I think he just drops the ax because of his injury - he wants to fight back but he doesn't have the strength.

It's unclear whether Katherine is possessed when she attacks Thomasin or whether she still just blames her for everything that's happened, or both. Either way, the devil contrived it so that Thomasin would have to kill her in order to complete her arc, so to speak.

And yes, once Thomasin's entire family is dead and she has nowhere to turn and is essentially damned anyway for killing her mother (and pretty much believed herself damned to begin with just because of her Calvinist beliefs), she says fuck it and signs the devil's book and joins the coven, because there is no possible happy ending for her; the end.

That's my take anyway.

They didn't know there was a witch, they just forbade the kids from entering the forest because it was dangerous. Mercy pretends to be the witch because Black Phillip may have been communicating with the twins, or she may have just been playing around using the superstitions of the time, which Thomasin then uses to turn the tables and scare the shit out of Mercy. At that point nobody knows for sure there's a witch.

I think the twins were faking not remembering their prayers and their fits during Caleb's possession, but that's sort of ambiguous. Psychologically I think it's possible to fake it while also being convinced that it's real. At that point the twins (or Mercy at least, with Jonas just playing along) wanted to frame Thomasin as a witch since Thomasin had threatened Mercy earlier, and Mercy may or may not have actually believed Thomasin was a witch. It's easy to play the blame game when everyone involved is scared out of their wits. Then Thomasin turned around and blamed the twins, so William, not knowing which if any of them is actually a witch, locked them all in the barn. At this point they've basically seen irrefutable proof that there is witchcraft afoot, with Caleb's possession and regurgitating a whole apple, which is a callback to his lie from earlier.

As for why the witch leaves Thomasin, it seems like it was the coven / the devil's plan all along to make Thomasin desperate enough to join them, and they probably used the twins for one of their spells like they did Samuel.

When William sees the barn destroyed and Black Phillip attacks him, he finally realizes what's going on and berates himself for not realizing it sooner and fucking his entire family over. I think he just drops the ax because of his injury - he wants to fight back but he doesn't have the strength.

It's unclear whether Katherine is possessed when she attacks Thomasin or whether she still just blames her for everything that's happened, or both. Either way, the devil contrived it so that Thomasin would have to kill her in order to complete her arc, so to speak.

And yes, once Thomasin's entire family is dead and she has nowhere to turn and is essentially damned anyway for killing her mother (and pretty much believed herself damned to begin with just because of her Calvinist beliefs), she says fuck it and signs the devil's book and joins the coven, because there is no possible happy ending for her; the end.

That's my take anyway.

That's a pretty good synopsis.
I just finished it myself- What a fantastic film. All the actors were spectacular.
My girlfriend doesn't really like horror films too much, but this shot to the top of my list of movies to make her watch.

eggandI

Banned
This is easily my movie of the year so far. Just an impeccable atmosphere thanks to the setting, characters and cinematography. Hollywood needs more horror movies like this and less jump scares/gore shitfests.

That's my take anyway.
Thanks for the explanation. Still collecting my thoughts. Couldn't sleep last night 👿

MIMIC

Banned
Just saw it. That was a cool little movie. I'm a little pissed that they
killed Caleb. He was such a good, obedient little boy and I just knew they were gonna off him.

Me: "Please don't kill Cale -- wait, didn't they just murder a baby? Never mind
lol

I went into this thinking that it was a by-the-books horror film (I knew nothing about it and don't remember seeing any trailers). So mid-way, I knew that this was totally not a conventional horror movie. IMBD calls it "Horror, Mystery". I guess you could say that. I was trying to think of a comparable movie, and I thought "The Ring." And sure enough, IMDB classifies it the same way: horror, mystery. So yeah....

Anyway, the part
with the goat freaked me the fuck out. THIS FUCKING GOAT IS FUCKING TALKING!! IT'S THE GOD DAMNED DEVIL! RUN, GIRL!!!
lol

I loved it. It was slow, but they laid a great foundation for what was to come. Pretty much everything about it was exceptional: the acting, the spooky atmosphere, the scenery, etc.

One thing the movie never addressed, which I thought was a kinda-sorta important scene (or maybe someone can explain it):
what was the deal with the rabbit? When it appeared a second time (when Thomasin went to check on the goats), I was convinced that it was the the devil. But it never appeared again

Anyway, I'd highly recommend it. It's definitely one of those types of movies that will appeal to a particular audience, but I personally thought it was great.

One thing the movie never addressed, which I thought was a kinda-sorta important scene (or maybe someone can explain it):
what was the deal with the rabbit? When it appeared a second time (when Thomasin went to check on the goats), I was convinced that it was the the devil. But it never appeared again

Anyway, I'd highly recommend it. It's definitely one of those types of movies that will appeal to a particular audience, but I personally thought it was great.
Belief at the time was that
hares were witches' familiars and that witches could transform into rabbits to spy

Funny. I just saw it. I enjoyed it a lot.

So usually in horror movies, unless it's about vampires or exorcism, religion has no power over evil, so all that praying does nothing, but in this movie, if Satan is afoot, shouldn't their prayers have some effect? Which makes me think what's the real reason they were banished.

Funny. I just saw it. I enjoyed it a lot.

So usually in horror movies, unless it's about vampires or exorcism, religion has no power over evil, so all that praying does nothing, but in this movie, if Satan is afoot, shouldn't their prayers have some effect? Which makes me think what's the real reason they were banished.
See that's the thing.
For all their religious devotion and prayers and belief, it doesn't save them. It never helps them. The witch even mocks them with it, through Caleb's rants before his death.

GhaleonEB

I re-watched The Witch last night, my first since I saw it in theaters earlier this year. Still incredibly effective slow burning horror, with a palpable feeling of dread throughout. But seeing it for a second time, I started to tune into other aspects of the film, thinking about how it sustains that feeling of menace that permeates the film.

It's been noted before, but this time I really picked up on how the shot framing and lighting are helping create that feeling of constant threat and danger to the family. This is most apparent when looking at how the woods are used as a backdrop continually, where very early on we know the witch resides, but the family does not. Sometimes it's more overt, such as in the wider shots where they loom large over the characters, swallowing them:

witch5_zpswrhyfox8.png

But it's also used throughout nearly every scene that takes place outdoors, where shots are framed so the woods are shadowing the characters:

witch4_zpsibbgklxv.png

witch3_zpstdzhkvxv.png

Entire scenes play out not just with the forest as a setting, but as the predominant feature in the frame, a constant reminder of the danger the characters are in, without knowing it.

Even scenes set just outside the house are constantly framed so the woods loom large.

witch6_zpswitn2yf7.png

It would have been very easy to film this scene so the characters are seen against the field ahead of them, or with the house or barn in the background. Yet the entire scene is shot so the woods are taking up a quarter or more of the frame in nearly every shot, in a way that's much more subtle than the more overt wide shots that put the emphasis on them. I think it's one of the main ways the feeling of constant dread is maintained through the film, this aura of threat constantly present.

That's during the daytime, but a lot of the film is shot at night, and Eggars uses darkness in much the same way he uses the forest. The family are typically shot as being in a small island of light, surrounded by darkness.

witch2_zpswg9zyswg.png

They're always lit so we can see everything we need to with the characters, but they are being swallowed by darkness, literally and figuratively.

He leverages this as the family starts to fall apart, as suspicions grow and fears rise, driving darkness between them.

wtich_zpso69bb5y6.png

Shots like this grow subtly as the film progresses, until characters are increasingly isolated from one another, mirroring their fraying relationships. Between the forest in the day, and darkness at night, the family is constantly seen as in danger. They never feel safe. (It's also why showing the witch so early - 7 minutes in - is such a critical narrative choice. We need to know she's real for the woods to become threatening.)

I realize this is probably obvious to most, but it only really struck me how meticulously shot the film was on second viewing. It's relentlessly beautiful, but also as relentlessly oppressive.

It will be on my annual fall watch list for years. Utterly brilliant film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom