• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach @ ComicCon + Press Conference/Panel

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
I want less branding news and more Single player Forge news.

Chill. We're only a few hours away from a media dump of goodness. Patience. It will come.

I'm with Ram on the remakes issue, I'd prefer totally new experiences with the game. DLC is the perfect excuse to do remakes without taking anything away from the main game and some unique, creative levels.

Everyone is always bitchin' about this, that or some other remake.

Gui_PT

Dax01 said:
I guess there's no reason to get excited about Blood Gulch remake, then.

I think Valhalla is beyond the canyon anyway.

Why do you like Valhalla so much? Is there even a needler in that map?

Hey You said:
One thing I'm doing to pass the time today till 6 is going to the dentist :(
I had a reminder letter yesterday about my checkup, thing is I can feel an odd twitch on my left side wisdom tooth... already had the tooth next to it taken out a few years back :lol

Wizman23

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Oh, I know. Zanzibar rocked. I was sort of referring to the E3 2004 demo where Staten warned that if the gate was opened, the enemy can drive the Warthog right into the base. When in reality, that's mana from heaven to the defending team. *chucks grenades*

Edit: I'm still chuckling at all the map remake requests. The big reveal is Forge; you should be hoping we will have the tools to do the remakes ourselves, not that they're baked in. :p
I think remakes of the forge templates are what people want. To me personally, forge does nothing for me. I think the work you guys do in making maps is awesome, but it's something I don't bother with. I won't appreciate forge until people start putting up awesome maps which is going to be a bit after launch. Map count for Reach has always been a concern of mine with all the different game modes to account for. Having 6 of the best Halo 2 maps in the hopper at midnite on 9/14 would eliminate any concerns I have about final map count.

Dax01 said:

It is totally unnecessary. The only maps from Halo 3 they should considering remaking are The Pit, Guardian and Narrows... in that order. But I think they'll only consider larger maps, as it seems the maps in Reach will be larger to account for armour abilities.

Edit: Possibly Construct as well

Maybe the second megaton is campaign forge?
http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=996604#m_996604

And nothing having to do with Valhalla is unnecessary.

Edit: Frankie –
Karen will address some of this at the panel, Sunday, but just to put some closure on this:

She is NOT writing a literal "Ghosts of Onyx 2" she IS starting a new series of novels set in the post H3 era, and she WILL be dealing with many extant and ongoing situations, INCLUDING the Onyx Spartans and the mysteries of that place.

So your questions will be answered for sure, but they are just the tip of the iceberg - Karen's task will be much more epic in scale than a simple one-off novel, but I think anyone who knows her writing will know how well she deals with this type of subject - and Evolutions readers will understand how well she "gets" Halo.
http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=996701#m_996701

Edit 2:
Oh and Greg Bear's first draft blew my mind. We're talking big-scale hard sci-fi of Eon scale, but in this amazingly familiar, yet brilliantly alien universe. The way he's embroidered Halo into a new tapestry is just so much fun for me to read.

Forerunner civilization WILL surprise you. And there are massive, world-shifting twists in just the first few pages.

I WANT THIS BOOK NOW.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Tashi0106 said:
Those collectable figures by Square are sick. I wish the Kat one was colored!!!

Well, it will be, those are the prototype ones for that set.

Your obsession with Kat is a bit unnerving Tashi. :lol

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well my Legendary purchase is in question, found out that my work is cutting my position Aug 6. :|

Hopefully I'll be back up and running by Reach! :D

Striker

GhaleonEB said:
Oh, I know. Zanzibar rocked. I was sort of referring to the E3 2004 demo where Staten warned that if the gate was opened, the enemy can drive the Warthog right into the base. When in reality, that's mana from heaven to the defending team. *chucks grenades*

Edit: I'm still chuckling at all the map remake requests. The big reveal is Forge; you should be hoping we will have the tools to do the remakes ourselves, not that they're baked in. :p
That's what I'm thinking with the forge_gulch, forge_badlands, etc. - they'll make their MP owns by their own uniqueness and lifted from campaign area. But for the Blood Gulch like maps, we may get the needed material to remake greats like Sanctuary, Beaver Creek, etc.

Did somebody mention Narrows and Construct? I'd puke.

EazyB

Banned
People don't think remakes are a good idea until they play a shitty map like Swordbase then it's "can I have Midship back, please?" :lol

But like I said, if Bungie focuses on making their map creator really comprehensive than it's easy enough for the community to mirror Bungie's previous masterpieces. At that point Bungie only has to make sure those creations make their way into MM.

As for BG over Valhalla, initially I was pretty disappointed because BG is simply an inferior version of Valhalla but after thinking about it, the decision makes a lot of sense. BG's weaknesses as a flat, boring bowl, are exactly what makes it a good canvas for creating canyon maps. Putting something with as intricate a terrain as Valhalla would only limit the editor's freedom and if Bungie does it correctly, they can create a Valhalla remake on top of that canvas, even without a terrain editor.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
That's what I'm thinking with the forge_gulch, forge_badlands, etc. - they'll make their MP owns by their own uniqueness and lifted from campaign area.
Same.

Less than four hours. I'm sort of absurdly hyped here. Not getting a whole lotta work done. :lol

rar

Gui_PT said:
Why do you like Valhalla so much? Is there even a needler in that map?

i will personally never understand the love for valhalla. i mean, it's decent, but i've seen better btb maps made on sandbox with forge

rar said:
i will personally never understand the love for valhalla. i mean, it's decent, but i've seen better btb maps made on sandbox with forge
an empty sandbox with 16 random spawn placements is better then valhalla

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Alienshogun said:
Well, it will be, those are the prototype ones for that set.

Your obsession with Kat is a bit unnerving Tashi. :lol

Yea I know, I'm just saying I wanted to see them colored.

I mean, everyone seems to have their initial favorite member of Noble 6. I just think she looks really cool. But, she'll probably die a horrible death in the game :lol

edit:
Eazy said:
People don't think remakes are a good idea until they play a shitty map like Swordbase then it's "can I have Midship back, please?"

:lol :lol I for one always want Midship back

Gui_PT

What do you consider Campaign Forge consists of?

Just the ability to add objects/weapons? Control over the AI placement and their behavior? Weather control? Setting objectives?

That would be ridiculously awesome.

Olivero

Bungieware said:
It is totally unnecessary. The only maps from Halo 3 they should considering remaking are The Pit, Guardian and Narrows... in that order. But I think they'll only consider larger maps, as it seems the maps in Reach will be larger to account for armour abilities.

Edit: Possibly Construct as well

You lost me at Construct my friend.

Other than that, I agree entirely. Those are the only Halo 3 maps that deserve to be even considered. Anything else is meh.
Especially Valhalla in light of Blood Gulch, sorry Dax.

EazyB said:
People don't think remakes are a good idea until they play a shitty map like Swordbase then it's "can I have Midship back, please?" :lol

But like I said, if Bungie focuses on making their map creator really comprehensive than it's easy enough for the community to mirror Bungie's previous masterpieces. At that point Bungie only has to make sure those creations make their way into MM.

As for BG over Valhalla, initially I was pretty disappointed because BG is simply an inferior version of Valhalla but after thinking about it, the decision makes a lot of sense. BG's weaknesses as a flat, boring bowl, are exactly what makes it a good canvas for creating canyon maps. Putting something with as intricate a terrain as Valhalla would only limit the editor's freedom and if Bungie does it correctly, they can create a Valhalla remake on top of that canvas, even without a terrain editor.
Agreed...
be my battle bro???

FourDoor

EazyB said:

I can foresee rocks, hills, and trees as forge items to make up for a lack of a true terrain editor.

JesseZao

EazyB said:

I think you might have pre-blown my mind. Maybe the reveal is that BG is merely a forge creation and all Halo maps can be created/uploaded/downloaded by the new forge.

EazyB

Banned
Wizman23 said:
I think remakes of the forge templates are what people want. To me personally, forge does nothing for me. I think the work you guys do in making maps is awesome, but it's something I don't bother with. I won't appreciate forge until people start putting up awesome maps which is going to be a bit after launch. Map count for Reach has always been a concern of mine with all the different game modes to account for. Having 6 of the best Halo 2 maps in the hopper at midnite on 9/14 would eliminate any concerns I have about final map count.
While it's true that great community maps wouldn't surface until weeks after the game has been released, it won't be a problem. I'm willing to bet Reach has more shipped maps than any over Halo game because they're getting more mileage out of each one (campaign & MP) and they will most definitely have their own forge variants of those maps and/or completely new maps made in the editor. At launch there will be no shortage of fresh experiences to have and great community maps will be ready well before people get even remotely tired of Bungie's offerings.

Popeck

rar said:

I like the setting and the design of the map. It offers the classic Halo gameplay with infantry and vehicles, despite the laser. Besides the gameplay aspects, I appreciate the looks of a map. In longer runs it's pretty boring to play 50 sand maps in a row, now matter how different the layout.

Trasher

Dax01 said:
I guess there's no reason to get excited about the Blood Gulch remake, then.

I personally think Valhalla is beyond the canyon anyway. We'll see in about five hours!
I can definitely see Valhalla being in the canyon somewhere.

But you are right. I am not excited about the Blood Gulch remake. It was awesome in Halo CE, but that's Halo CE and not Reach. It was tailored for Halo CE, and it worked amazingly with its simpler gameplay. I know a lot of people are fans of Coagulation in Halo 2, but I thought it was awful compared to playing on Blood Gulch. My main reasons for that was most likely due to the different physics and rules that Halo CE had: i.e. the grenade physics, invincible vehicles, etc. For whatever reason that made the map much more fun for me.

Anyways, my main point is that a map can play much more differently in a different game. Yes these are all Halo games, but I don't need to tell you that they are in fact different games with, although slightly, different rules and gameplay factors. That's why I think it makes the most sense for Bungie to stop making all these remakes of previous maps, and to just focus on making new maps that will work in their current game. And we all know that it is almost impossible for them to make everyone happy with their remakes. People always find something to bitch about.

Brainboy

Tashi0106 said:
Those collectable figures by Square are sick. I wish the Kat one was colored!!!

Kat even has Oonsk shoulders! :lol

Anyway, time for bed I think. I can't wait to see what they've revealed once I wake up.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah I suspect Bungie wouldn't be hyping consoles or controllers; they know it's all about Reach when it comes to the megatonz.

Though I wonder if the new console is what Waypoint was teasting as being [redacted] a while back that they're giving away. Or has that happened already?

What if it's
a redemption code for Blood Gulch exclusively available at Comic-Con?

I would be pretty upset, but I'm sure it won't happen.

GhaleonEB

There will be amazing community maps before I'm even through my first Campaign romp (which will be 2-3 days) and just begin dabbling with Firefight and Multiplayer. I'm not forseeing a shortage of maps, ever.

On that note, I'm quite in the vehicle for community rating and testing that will funnel community maps into Matchmaking. I'm hoping that's touched on tonight, and not just the functionality of Forge.

Tzeentch

Karen's task will be much more epic in scale than a simple one-off novel, but I think anyone who knows her writing will know how well she deals with this type of subject - and Evolutions readers will understand how well she "gets" Halo.
-- Wait, is Frankie trying to tell me NOT to buy this book then? :lol

EazyB

Banned
FourDoor said:
I can foresee rocks, hills, and trees as forge items to make up for a lack of a true terrain editor.
Those types of items really fall in a "scenery" type category but I see what you're thinking (terrain as in natural objects).

But, although far from preferable, Bungie can get away with using huge placable geometry with no-clipping in place of true terrain (ground) manipulation.

JesseZao said:
I think you might have pre-blown my mind. Maybe the reveal is that BG is merely a forge creation and all Halo maps can be created/uploaded/downloaded by the new forge.
:lol I think we're getting ahead of ourselves.

I've been messing around with the Crysis editor and it really amazes me that everything they put in the game (SP levels, cutscenes, everything) could be made using the relatively simple tools they give the community. Consoles have a long way to go in that regard but just looking at FC2's MP map editor it's easy to see that there's no reason incredibly intricate environment creation tools can't be done on consoles. It'll be really interesting to see if Bungie delivers a true PC experience with New IP or goes for the more recent consolitis approach to PC porting.

Trasher said:
I can definitely see Valhalla being in the canyon somewhere.

But you are right. I am not excited about the Blood Gulch remake. It was awesome in Halo CE, but that's Halo CE and not Reach. It was tailored for Halo CE, and it worked amazingly with its simpler gameplay. I know a lot of people are fans of Coagulation in Halo 2, but I thought it was awful compared to playing on Blood Gulch. My main reasons for that was most likely due to the different physics and rules that Halo CE had: i.e. the grenade physics, invincible vehicles, etc. For whatever reason that made the map much more fun for me.

Anyways, my main point is that a map can play much more differently in a different game. Yes these are all Halo games, but I don't need to tell you that they are in fact different games with, although slightly, different rules and gameplay factors. That's why I think it makes the most sense for Bungie to stop making all these remakes of previous maps, and to just focus on making new maps that will work in their current game. And we all know that it is almost impossible for them to make everyone happy with their remakes. People always find something to bitch about.

I agree ;) but I will just add that on a personal level, I want aesthetic remakes. "New experiences in a familiar setting" you could say which alludes to Bungie's ability to have the same scenario play differently every time.

Striker

EazyB said:
While it's true that great community maps wouldn't surface until weeks after the game has been released, it won't be a problem. I'm willing to bet Reach has more shipped maps than any over Halo game because they're getting more mileage out of each one (campaign & MP) and they will most definitely have their own forge variants of those maps and/or completely new maps made in the editor. At launch there will be no shortage of fresh experiences to have and great community maps will be ready well before people get even remotely tired of Bungie's offerings.
What's going to be so much easier, and more fan friendly, is searching and tagging created variants from Forge. Similar to how they're doing screenshots and saved films. Instead of going online, trying to download, and going back, it's going to be a quick step process.

It also depends on how friendly it is for users to create these said maps. If it as frustrating and damning as Foundry and Sandbox, it will take a couple weeks I'm sure. If not, we'll see some very solid maps come right out within a couple days, easily.

feel

I hope pics of the Wireless Headset surface during comic-con. That's probably the only piece of Reach themed hardware I'll be getting.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Letters said:
I hope pics of the Wireless Headset surface during comic-con. That's probably the only piece of Reach themed hardware I'll be getting.
That reminds me of the Halo 3 wireless headset. That thing could pick up a fart from 20 miles away.

Schmitty

Bungieware said:

Edit: Possibly Construct as well[
Please no.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
I want less branding news and more Single player Forge news.
Yes to this. A giant heaping helping of YES.

Those are the only megatons left for someone like me who doesn't care what maps they remake, or what soda cans I can find emblazoned with spartans.

Top Bottom