• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2016 thread of hoping for better deals elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the answer (and sorry for the late reply). The problem I have with TitS is, that I am scared to get into such a big game, with lots of reading. It's not that I have problem with something like that, but that I don't have that much time in the end and I guess a game like Zestiria is better if I play it iregulary and not in such huge time chunks, or am I also wrong here?

Just sharing my experience here.

I've been playing TitS for... a year, I guess?

It's indeed text-heavy, and since the script is so good, you will want to do every single sidequest you can. Problem is: doing all the sidequests makes the game even longer.

That said, I've been playing it veeeery slooowly. No rush at all. I play it for a day or two, then I get bored or too busy, leave it and come back a few weeks later. The weird thing is, i'm really enjoying it ^_^ I've never played an RPG this way, it feels so weird.

I guess what keeps me coming back is the fact that, up to now, I've enjoyed pretty much every place I've visited, every person I've found and every quest I've tried. I'm not really playing to finish the game, I'm just enjoying it. Whenever I want to have some fun and relaxing time with a JRPG, I just fire up TitS and enjoy it.

Do pay mind that SC is considerably longer than the first one. Close to double the length I'd say.

Seriously?!?! Oh man, then I'll need at least three years to finish it ^_^

dock

Are the Sega genesis games or any other retro classics worth playing via the Steam interface, or am I better off with emulators? Asking as a console gamer getting his first gaming PC (but hooked up to a TV and played via gamepad).

abracadaver

I can't believe how good SOMA is. 6 hours in now I especially like that there isn't a monster chasing you constantly. That made me stop playing Alien Isolation. There is more exploring and puzzle solving than running and hiding. Also looks really good.

Drakhyrr

I know it's a small discount, but I really do appreciate the new bundles

0SxM4r4.png

I can (and probably will) get Prison Architect for half the already discounted price because I already own every other game from Introversion. This is great.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so whats new in pixeljunk shooter ultimate? I have pixeljunk shooter but never played, well on pc because I finshed it on PS4.

Does ultimate add enough stuff to justify playing again?

edit: wait im reading in combines 1 and 2 into one game... there was a pixeljunk shooter 2? o_O

Are the Sega genesis games or any other retro classics worth playing via the Steam interface, or am I better off with emulators? Asking as a console gamer getting his first gaming PC (but hooked up to a TV and played via gamepad).

Talking about the Sega Genesis collection: the game selection is great, and they've added a new interface that's very cool to navigate. Emulation is pretty good and you can use savestates.

Also, I know I'm in the minority here, but I love the TV filter option, it looks great on my LCD. For some reason, it's only available when you use the old interface (you can choose which interface to use every time you launch the game).

Tizoc

Get the games and use emulators with them
The base emulator is hit or miss

TheBear

How's Death Road to Canada?

Also, is Sniper Elite 3 an improvement over the earlier games? I mucked around with the Zombie one but found it disappointing

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Durante's GOTY -- MB-E0F32EAA3E4E589B - Taken by Echoplx

Enjoy

Eila

I prefer retroarch over it.

phaze

Is there a lot of grinding/random encounters in FFX remaster ? I want to make one last foray into jrpgs and the franchise was always one I wanted to at least taste a bit but at the same time I know, that having to spend most of the time in the samey, random battles would tire me out very quickly.

I can't believe how good SOMA is. 6 hours in now I especially like that there isn't a monster chasing you constantly. That made me stop playing Alien Isolation. There is more exploring and puzzle solving than running and hiding. Also looks really good.
This games is incredible. Great purchase. Easily One of the best games I played this year.

Uzzy

SOMA's story and world are fascinating to explore and experience. One of my favourites from last year, I just love anything that talks about the philosophy of the self, what it means to be human and what is consciousness. I think it's story stands up even compared to other works of sci-fi literature that explore that kinda thing.

bought and finihed [URL="http://store.steampowered.com/app/237930/"]Transistor[/URL] (twice). impossible to regret a single cent out of those €3,79 spent. looks great, sounds great, plays great. piece of art!

Oh yeah, Transistor is something beautiful. The art, the OST, the tragic story, I love it all. Even bought the vinyl soundtrack!

abracadaver

How's Death Road to Canada?

Also, is Sniper Elite 3 an improvement over the earlier games? I mucked around with the Zombie one but found it disappointing

The zombie games play a lot different. The main games are more about stealth and sniping enemies without getting spotted. They are very forgiving when being spotted though. Sniper Elite 2 is very linear and Sniper Elite 3 has very open maps that you can explore and choose from where you want to attack or in which order you want to do the objectives.

I wish you could customize those complete your collection bundles, it's kind of annoying when it's a good deal but it only includes the regular version of the game when there's a deluxe version available.

I ended up getting: Steamworld Heist, Axiom Verge and Icewind Dale EE. I was on the fence about Axiom Verge mainly because of the price, but I didn't want to wait another year to see it drop to -75%.

Vitor711

Story vs Gameplay I would say. Witcher 3 has much better story but DS3 has much better gameplay/combat in my opinion. Played through witcher 3 once, DS3 about 3 times.

Bear in mind, a single playthrough of the Witcher without DLC is around 60 hours+.

Dark Souls 3 is the shortest in the series (outside of Bloodborne) and will take 20 hours or less.

With DLC, TW3 goes up to 100+ hours easily and DkS3 only gets another 3-4 hours.

No, wait til you have a better rig. It'll be cheaper too.

Wait until you have a better platform to play on. It's such a vast and beautiful game, I think it would be detrimental to the experience, not even taking the gameplay disadvantage into account.

That's gonna be a while. I had to settle for an off-the-shelf Dell computer with a good graphics card shoved in when my laptop died right when the semester started a few months back. :(

Nete

My three GOTY, my two favourite games of the last 15 years, and two of my all-time top3 games in a bundle. Happy new year, GAF.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nete, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

XCOM 2 -- MB-B7F1F47D1AB9338B - Taken by inky. 58 entrants total.
DOOM (2016) -- MB-C2A034A41FC14089 - Taken by Nudull. 62 entrants total.
Deus Ex Mankind Divided -- MB-C04D550D01C2A9F5 - Taken by Dr.Acula. 57 entrants total.
Rocket League -- MB-4CAA3B416DFAA3F8 - Taken by Loptous. 22 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition -- MB-E8440EC7D8F79F0C - Taken by yoshizzle. 74 entrants total.
X-Wing Bundle -- MB-B009C8BD1D3E3B11 - Taken by Adnor. 5 entrants total.
Needs a joystick... and remember to mod the hell out of Alliance

t1482842893z1.png

DPB

Bear in mind, a single playthrough of the Witcher without DLC is around 60 hours+.

Dark Souls 3 is the shortest in the series (outside of Bloodborne) and will take 20 hours or less.

With DLC, TW3 goes up to 100+ hours easily and DkS3 only gets another 3-4 hours.

20 hours? I'd barely scratched the surface of the game in that time. I am really bad at these games though, and I feel like I've barely improved in multiple playthroughs of DS1&2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom