• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

Neoxon

After this presentation, I guess 2 more characters, some 3DS content, & BotW Mii Costumes wouldn't be that bad of an upgrade after all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
MK8 Switch doesn't have playable Miis

Uhh...

RIP three characters from Smash 4?

When I saw your post in Mario Kart thread, I just knew you would run to this thread and overreact.

Did you see one character button with a question mark? That's likely to be Mii, those demo stations probably don't have Mii set up yet.

C2DFGVAWIAALSme.jpg

Mii isn't going anywhere.

They seem to function kinda like Ryu/Ken just going from the trailer, so you'd probably have them both in the same slot.

Theoretically of course. :p

Kind of like Robin, Corrin, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer have 2 gender options, I imagine. Where half of the costumes are dude and the other half girl.

Also, ARMS would make sense - not only is it a fighting game, AND a new franchise, it also has a mechanic that we haven't really had in Smash yet, which is the Dhalsim-esque extension of limbs. ARMS guy/gal would make a lot of sense from that standpoint, as well.

You know me too well lol. I have inferiority complex for Miis since a lot of people don't count them as "real" characters so I'm protective of them in Smash.

Thought the ? was random, forgot it was the unlock symbol in MK

In other news the CSS was updated in MK to be better organized, so here's hoping

jph139

I kind of assumed ARMS was a Teleroboxer reboot. Or maybe Joy Mech Fight with the long stretchy arms.

In any case it needs to be successful and get a character in Smash Switch.

Ryce

The Switch presentation was a massive letdown for several reasons, but ARMS looks interesting. I'm pleasantly surprised to see a new character-based first-party IP so soon after Splatoon.

b42KgOf.png

sakurai plz

Jawmuncher

Nah ditch spring man. Make Ribbon Girl the default.

Also with a new bomberman game, I wonder if that gets him closer to being in smash.
But he is konami, so if that happens. It better be a twofer deal like Capcom got with MM and Ryu.

Ryce

Ribbon Girl might be a Villager/Robin/Corrin style alt, but Spring Man would obviously be the default. He's the lead promotional character and default choice on the select screen. He's definitely the most boring of the five ARMS characters, but that's just the way it is.

Sadly I think Nintendo is too old-fashioned to have a female lead for the promotional material in games where there's an option for either. Splatoon is the exception, but the Inklings are fairly gender neutral in their base design, since they're kids, so yeah.

The default spring duo are like soo close but soo far for me with their designs, now the other three ARM characters, they're worth rooting for.
Ya got a hench mummy man and bootleg D-Va!

SaikyoBro

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I really don't like the character designs in some of these new Nintendo IPs. I think the Inklings look dumb but the Arms characters just look ridiculous. I don't know what it is, they just seem like a mishmash of colors who are constantly wearing the dumbest facial expressions possible.

Splatoon has proven to be popular enough that I can understand them being added to Smash, but I hope we forget about Arms as quickly as possible.

TrueBlue

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I really don't like the character designs in some of these new Nintendo IPs. I think the Inklings look dumb but the Arms characters just look ridiculous. I don't know what it is, they just seem like a mishmash of colors who are constantly wearing the dumbest facial expressions possible.

Splatoon has proven to be popular enough that I can understand them being added to Smash, but I hope we forget about Arms as quickly as possible.

It seems a little harsh to hope we forget about a game so soon after learning about it - and one that looks relatively promising at that. It deserves a shot.

I'm kind of at the point now that I'm not at all convinced Smash 4 for Switch is actually a real thing. The leakers pretty clearly didn't know shit.

Jawmuncher

I forgot all about the DLC amiibo.
Smash for holiday 2017 early 2018 then? Could be it was gonna be a simple port, then they decided to just make it a new game.

Well, we know now that Miiverse is not a functionality on the Switch so rumors that the stage is to be removed in the hypothetical Smash 4 for Switch are on point, but the idea of it being a really minor upgrade feels wrong, if only because we don't know about it and if it exists we probably won't know about it for a while.

There's no Miiverse functionality on the Switch, so the rumors of Miiverse being cut seem at least partially true.

They could, of course, just be lucky guesses. But still, it's something we have from a rumor that's now confirmed.

Edit: lol we posted at the same time

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
None I can think of, but keep in mind the last three Smash Amiibo are still MIA. That's pretty telling in of itself.

Also someone found files being altered in recently patch which implied that they could works on Smash for Switch but it's just flimsy evidence.

Ryce

Regardless of the rumors, I'm pretty sure we'll eventually get a new Smash Bros. game for Nintendo's new console, and it makes sense to use the previous release as a base (like Splatoon 2). At this point, there are way too many beloved characters to start from scratch again, and I feel like Sakurai is astute enough to understand this.

I think Smash 4 has already started with Brawl as a base to be honest. They obviously changed most of the stage lineup, but that could be more on 1080p and 3DS being odd than on anything else, really.

Ryce

I think Smash 4 has already started with Brawl as a base to be honest. They obviously changed most of the stage lineup, but that could be more on 1080p and 3DS being odd than on anything else, really.
I mean literally building on top of the Wii U version, like an enhanced port that has too many additions/changes to be considered a port anymore.

SaikyoBro

uh EXCUSE YOU don flamenco is the greatest blessing nintendo has ever bestowed upon us

Anyway yeah I'm still almost positive we're getting a Smash 4 port by the end of the year, probably sooner than later. There was never any reason for us to expect to see it last night, especially since most of the rumors have said it wouldn't make launch anyway.

I mean literally building on top of the Wii U version, like an enhanced port that has too many additions/changes to be considered a port anymore.

Again, I'm sure that what happened to Brawl, and if you're going to deny me you will have to be more clear on the "port that isn't a port" part. SSB4 has multiple changes from Brawl, no one denied that.

Ryce

Again, I'm sure that what happened to Brawl, and if you're going to deny me you will have to be more clear on the "port that isn't a port" part. SSB4 has multiple changes from Brawl, no one denied that.
Sakurai was quite clear in several interviews about starting from scratch when making Smash 4. The Brawl models were remade for Smash 4, modes were removed/added, and so on. There are old animations and other remnants from Brawl, but it's mostly a brand new game. I'm suggesting that they merely take Smash 4 and add to it without changing the art direction or getting rid of anything.

Jawmuncher

Sakurai was quite clear in several interviews about starting from scratch when making Smash 4. The Brawl models were remade for Smash 4, modes were removed/added, and so on. There are old animations and other remnants from Brawl, but it's mostly a brand new game. I'm suggesting that they merely take Smash 4 and add to it without changing the art direction or getting rid of anything.

I could see some small changes. Like finally changing links costume or at least giving him his Botw alt. Maybe fixing up some faces too.

I wish they'd take the chance to fix Palutena and I don't just mean her moveset: She really needs some personality because she's dull as dishwater in smash compared to what she's like in rising... that and her hair would probably appreciate being more hair-like :p

I wish they'd take the chance to fix Palutena and I don't just mean her moveset: She really needs some personality because she's dull as dishwater in smash compared to what she's like in rising... that and her hair would probably appreciate being more hair-like :p

Rehiring Ali Hillis to rerecord lines for Palu would be cool, but I doubt they would do that at this point, unless Kid Icarus gets a new installment or something. They'll probably just reuse Brandy Kopp's lines from here on out, like how they reused most of Brawl's VA.

Rehiring Ali Hillis to rerecord lines for Palu would be cool, but I doubt they would that at this point, unless Kid Icarus gets a new installment or something. They'll probably just reuse Brandy Kopp's lines from here on out, like how they reused most of Brawl's VA.
I'm not even sure it's the fact it's a different VA that's the issue. Her lines would've been pretty meh even with Hillis. Outside of the pole spin she's straight up generic straight-laced goddess with yawnsome lines like "You shall be purified!" which I can't imagine ever being a line for her in KI:U.

Top Bottom