• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

With how bizarrely much Nintendo pushes Urban Champion, despite it being a bad game with no history or nostalgic value to basically anyone, I kind of wonder how the "Urban Champion" (does he have a name?) isn't an Assist Trophy yet.

Random thought:
A lot of the Ice Climbers and Inklings speculation comes from the WiiU version having roster parity with the 3DS version, causing characters that would work on WiiU but not on 3DS due to technical limitations to be struck out. Here, we're assuming Switch will not also have roster parity to allow these characters on board, which I suppose would make a pretty good incentive to jump on Switch. I'm just wondering if there's more money to be made, making additional characters work on Smash for WiiU + 3DS, having Smash for Switch sell on the merit of being a collection of all WiiU + 3DS content including DLC or, alternatively, Smash for Switch simply being Smash for WiiU with DLC but on Switch.

-

I'm just...slightly hesitant on the idea of dicking over loyal fans who've been there for the past two years, whether on WiiU or 3DS. The argument of "Fuck you; Get a Switch" is kinda shitty for WiiU owners since these characters would be technically possible on WiiU. If a bone were thrown for them, 3DS would still be left out.

I also recall Smash for Switch being called a "minimal effort" port, to which the idea of "all 3DS content but HD" runs a bit counter to depending on how said content was developed, so there's that. Purely speculating here.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
the urban champion street seems like the kind of awful to play on faithful recreation stage Sakurai would've made by now.

I'm picturing it now and all I can say is this is one of the best stage concept ideas pitched during the history of these threads.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Random thought:
A lot of the Ice Climbers and Inklings speculation comes from the WiiU version having roster parity with the 3DS version, causing characters that would work on WiiU but not on 3DS due to technical limitations to be struck out. Here, we're assuming Switch will not also have roster parity to allow these characters on board, which I suppose would make a pretty good incentive to jump on Switch. I'm just wondering if there's more money to be made, making additional characters work on Smash for WiiU + 3DS, having Smash for Switch sell on the merit of being a collection of all WiiU + 3DS content including DLC or, alternatively, Smash for Switch simply being Smash for WiiU with DLC but on Switch.

-

I'm just...slightly hesitant on the idea of dicking over loyal fans who've been there for the past two years, whether on WiiU or 3DS. The argument of "Fuck you; Get a Switch" is kinda shitty for WiiU owners since these characters would be technically possible on WiiU. If a bone were thrown for them, 3DS would still be left out.

I also recall Smash for Switch being called a "minimal effort" port, to which the idea of "all 3DS content but HD" runs a bit counter to depending on how said content was developed, so there's that. Purely speculating here.

Yeah, that's what we were stuck with. We suddenly jumped on the train when we saw Mario Kart Switch and Splatoon are getting new contents without thinking other possibilities.

Some people weren't sure if we would get new characters in new version because we just got Bayonetta and Corrin in early February 2016. At same time, if Nintendo want all owners to jump to Switch from Wii U so they probably would figure that Smash for Switch having new characters and new contents would be smart move.

Yeah, that's what we were stuck with. We suddenly jumped on the train when we saw Mario Kart Switch and Splatoon are getting new contents without thinking other possibilities.

Some people weren't sure if we would get new characters in new version because we just got Bayonetta and Corrin in early February 2016. At same time, if Nintendo want all owners to jump to Switch from Wii U so they probably would figure that Smash for Switch having new characters and new contents would be smart move.

I know, I know. I'm sure Nintendo would love a strong launch year for the Switch after what happened to the WiiU and 3DS. I'm just unsure of the necessity of spurning the consumers who helped keep the company afloat despite its blunders; pondering whether the Switch can do without immediate backing from every last hardcore gamer on the planet, for the much larger casual userbase has actual interest this time around and probably won't be buying Zelda for the WiiU despite the Switch version not having any exclusive content far as I'm aware.

Wily Castle is fine and Yellow Devil gets a bad rap

The legit worst stage is og mario bros because the turtle obstacles have an insane amount of knock back ruining the stage and turning it into who can chuck items the best.

Zubz

Banned
Wily Castle is fine and Yellow Devil gets a bad rap

The legit worst stage is og mario bros because the turtle obstacles have an insane amount of knock back ruining the stage and turning it into who can chuck items the best.

Eh. That makes it fun if you're not looking for a regular fight, at least. Not a good stage for a fight, but definitely a novelty for me.

Yellow Devil takes up half of a small-size level and is even harder to dodge in Smash than he is in MM1. The stage would be fine without him but deserves the hate because he's there.

^good guess! But it's actually:

CHIBI-ROBO Cleans House!

Stats:

Height: 1/10
Weight: 2/10
Speed: 6/10
Air Speed: 3/10
Jump: 4/10
Fall Speed: 4/10
Traction: 7/10

Special Attributes:

Wall Jump: No
Wall Cling: No
Crawl: No
Gimmick: Chibi-Robo's cord drags behind him at all times. It can take knockback, and if hit hard enough will drag Chibi along. It is also used in some moves. The cord is a Bowser length long.

Specials:

Standard: Chibi-Blaster

The Chibi-Blaster is an offensive attachment for Chibi-Robo. It fires small bolts of energy that lightly shove enemies back; they do 4% and precisely twice the knockback of Mario's Fireballs. However, the move's usefulness is in the ability to aim it at any angle. When you first press B, Chibi-Robo equips the Chibi-Blaster. From this point on, the control stick aims the Blaster. Press B again to fire a bolt of energy. You can also charge up the move, creating an explosive projectile. Charged shots move very slowly across the stage, and explode into a large dome of energy. These shots deal constant damage to any foe caught within the blast. Once it ends, anyone caught within is launched away with knockback that KO's at 180%. Both types of shot have a maximum range equal to Final Destination.

Side: Zip-Lash

Chibi-Robo's power cord is a very useful weapon. For this move, Chibi begins whirling the cord over his head much like a lasso. Hold B to keep twirling. Upon release, Chibi quickly whips the cord forward, smacking unfortunate foes with 8% and knockback that KO's at 200%. However, this is not just a simple attack. Chibi-Robo can walk around and even jump while twirling the cord. Additionally, the whip can be angled up or down. If Chibi-Robo enters the air while twirling the cord, he will temporarily hover like Peach before slowly falling. Use this to aid Chibi's somewhat lackluster recovery. There is more to this move, but we'll save that for when it's relevant.

Up: Chibi-Copter

Normally, the Chibi-Copter attachment is too weak to carry a Chibi-Robo into the sky. However, the Smash model boasts a more powerful Copter that allows Chibi to recover from most pits. Unfortunately, the Chibi-Copter moves rather slowly, leaving Chibi wide open. Luckily, the Copter deals rapid hits of 1% to anyone unfortunate enough to touch the blades directly. The Chibi-Copter covers as much ground as Duck Hunt's Up Special, but does not put Chibi in helpless. This can only be used once in the air. This way, one can immediately enter the Side Special after the Up Special.

Down: Plug In

The Smash model of Chibi-Robo boasts an unlimited battery life, but retains the power cord nonetheless. Upon inputting this move, Chibi plugs his cord into the ground beneath him. Once he does so, electricity begins visibly flowing through his cord. Chibi can move around, but his range is limited by the length of his cord. If Chibi walks, runs, dodge rolls, or jumps, his cord will remain plugged in. However, dashing or using Up Special will strain against the cord for a moment before yanking it from the ground. If dashing, Chibi trips and automatically dodges forwards. If using Up Special, Chibi unplugs, but still gains the move's full height. The main benefit to plugging in is knockback resistance. While Chibi's own movement is limited, so is the knockback he suffers. In fact, attacks only unplug him if they would KO after 180%. This is to counteract Chibi's low weight. On top of this, while plugged in, Chibi can use special versions of his usual moves. All Chibi-Blaster shots become fully charged by default. Down Special causes Chibi to run to his plug and yank it from the ground. However, Side Special sees the most change. Using it causes Chibi to pull on his cord, automatically unplugging himself. Holding B still twirls the cord lasso-style, but electricity crackles from the plug. This allows the twirling to damage any foes that touch it. Upon releasing B, Chibi whips the cord forward, and it extends forwards a great distance. It's length depends on how long Chibi was plugged in. The minimum length is two Bowsers, and the max, meaning 10 seconds of charge, is twice the length of Final Destination! Upon hitting a foe, the cord latches to them and electrocutes them. How long it sticks, again, depends on how long Chibi charged up. By default, the shock only lasts a half-second and deals roughly 12%. At maximum charge, it shocks for 2.5 seconds and deals a nightmarish 30%! However, this move has a downside: while the cord is in flight, Chibi cannot move. If he's hit, he is knocked out of the move, wasting the time he was plugged in. Some of Chibi's normals are also changed, but those will be elaborated upon later.

Standards:

Jab: Chibi-Robo isn't built for hand to hand combat, but tries his best with this Jab. He throws a weak one-two punch before striking a victorious pose, accidentally uppercutting his foe. This Jab combo deals 2%, 3%, and 5%. The uppercut KO's at 200%.

F-Tilt: Chibi-Robo quickly retrieves a Drake Redcrest toothbrush from his head compartment. He then brushes the floor ahead of him violently, tripping foes and moving him forward a short distance. Mashing A allows Chibi to scoot across the stage. This move deals 5%, but only trips. The move has good range, covering a Bowser length ahead of Chibi. Scrubbing the floor plays the same guitar jingle as in the GameCube game.

U-Tilt: Chibi-Robo stands bolt upright before a YES/NO sign pops out of his head. The signs alternate, but have the same properties. This move only has a hitbox above Chibi. This Tilt deals 6% damage and KO's at 190%.

D-Tilt: Chibi-Robo retrieves a spoon from his head, then jabs it into the ground as though digging. Unfortunately, the stages of Smash are too hard for the spoon to dig, causing it to rebound off the ground. This rebound kicks up some sparks, giving this move a bit of range. Mashing A causes Chibi to repeatedly "dig" the same spot. The spoon acts as a sweetspot, dealing 8% and KO'ing at 190%. The sparks deal 6% and KO at 200%. The impact against the ground causes the same piano jingle as in the GameCube game.

Dash Attack: In an impossibly fast motion, Chibi-Robo removes a collapsible bike from his head, then mounts it. He proceeds to pedal forwards a short distance before automatically dismounting and storing the bicycle away. Mashing A causes Chibi to keep pedaling. While moving, the bike has similar turning physics as Wario's motorcycle. In fact, it also moves at the Wario Bike's top speed. Both of the bike's wheels are hitboxes; they deal 10% and KO at 185%. This move is great for quick movement across the stage. Dash Attacking while plugged in will cause Chibi to come unplugged.

Aerials:

N-Air: In a rather generic move, Chibi-Robo performs a midair somersault. If used while Chibi is unplugged, the cord whips around him, acting as a long ranged Aerial. Chibi himself deals 4% and KO's at 195%; the cord deals 7% and KO's at 185%.

F-Air: Chibi-Robo quickly performs a sort of dropkick. The very tip of his feet act as a sweetspot, which deals 12% and KO's at 175%. His legs deal only 6% and KO at the more modest 190%. If used while unplugged, Chibi's cord swings beneath him like a pendulum. The cord deals 5% and KO's at 195%.

U-Air: Chibi-Robo quickly pops the lid of his head compartment open. This is a short ranged Aerial that disjoints slightly. The lid deals 5% and KO's at 185%. This move does not change based on the cord's status.

B-Air: Chibi-Robo twirls around horizontally, whipping his cord behind him. This move can be angled. It deals 5% and KO's at 185%. If Chibi is plugged in, he spins around rapidly until he lands. This spin deals 4% and KO's at 200%.

D-Air: Chibi-Robo's legs telescope into his body, and he begins plummeting to the ground with a cartoonish whistling sound. Upon hitting a foe, he deals 8% and stuns them as though their shield had broken, but for half the time. If Chibi misses and hits the ground, he shudders for a moment and suffers 5% damage himself. This move does not change depending on the cord's status.

Smashes:

F-Smash: Chibi-Robo removes a needle-less syringe from his head. While charging, he seems to draw water up from the ground. Upon release, he sprays water forwards much like FLUDD. This Smash deals no damage, but pushes foes away with surprising force. Great for edge guarding.

U-Smash: Chibi-Robo crouches down while charging. Upon release, he hops upwards as a random piece of trash flies up and out of his head. No matter what the trash is, it deals 9-18% and KO's at 185-170%. After the move, Chibi suffers some endlag as he stores the trash back in his head.

D-Smash: Upon charging, Chibi's manager, Telly Vision teleports in. Simultaneously, Chibi collapses to the floor violently. Once the charge is released, Telly begins crying over his "dead" friend. Telly's tears form two hitboxes, one on either side of Chibi's body. These hitboxes shove foes and deal 6-10%. Once the move ends, Chibi picks himself up and straightens his head. Telly teleports away with a joyous expression, probably glad that Chibi-Robo is okay.

Grab: For his grab, Chibi-Robo utilizes a tool from his DS game. Chibi uses a flower-trimmer to grab foes. The trimmer launches forwards three Bowser lengths before boomeranging back. It can grab foes while returning. This grab cannot be used in the air.

Pummel: Chibi-Robo squeezes the foe with the trimmer. Deals 3%, but is sort of slow.

F-Throw: Chibi launches the trimmer again, foe and all. Travels the usual grab distance before dumping the foe. Deals no damage.

U-Throw: Chibi-Robo tosses the foe up into his head. He can then carry them a short distance before automatically tossing them to the ground. Deals 7%.

B-Throw: Same as the F-Throw, but behind Chibi.

D-Throw: Chibi-Robo dumps the foe on the floor before plugging into them. If he is plugged into the ground, he instantly yanks the plug to him. This throw drains 7% from the foe, then heals Chibi for 7%. No knockback, but leaves the foe in prone.

Final Smash: Abduction

Chibi-Robo extends his Chibi-Radar before letting off a distress signal. A small blue UFO then appears. The UFO is Kirby's size and drifts around the stage at his dash speed. If the UFO nears an opponent, it will stop above them and attempt to grab them with a tractor beam. If it's successful, it will drag them inside of it. The UFO can hold multiple foes. Once 10 seconds is up or all enemies are captured, the UFO flies off the top blast zone, with Chibi-Robo waving goodbye. This KO's any enemy the UFO captured.

Extras:

Up Taunt: Chibi-Robo strikes Drake Redcrest's heroic pose, complete with dramatic explosions! This Taunt deals 2% and KO's at 250%.

Side Taunt: Chibi-Robo pulls out a Boom-Box and begins dancing. This Taunt is endless, but can be cancelled at any time.

Down Taunt: Chibi-Robo hides beneath a coffee mug. This mug protects Chibi from any attack that deals less than 4%. Anything stronger will pierce it. This Taunt cannot be held, and only lasts for as long as any other counter.

That's a bomb ass Chibi Robo moveset! I really dig the gimmick and I love the detailed descriptions. I've always pondered how to incorporate the power cord into the moveset but I think your idea is really clever.

I think the little guy definitely deserves the Smash nod someday; he's just too cute and cool. Everyone should play all the Chibi Robi games cuz they're rad.

Neoxon

Random thought:

-

While yeah, giving the additional characters to Wii U & 3DS owners would be a nice gesture & would be beneficial to tournament organizers who already have a shit-ton of Wii Us, Nintendo wants as many of us to make the switch as possible. If it means leaving the millions of Smash 4 owners on Wii U & 3DS behind for the greener pastures of the Switch, so be it. There wouldn't be much incentive for us to get the Switch version if the additional content was available as DLC for the version we already own.

All these people discussing bad stages and pacland doesn't get mentioned once.
It's not fun in any capacity and it's a total eye-sore to boot :/

Sami+

It's one of my favorites when I'm fucking around with my friends actually, something about the sheer weirdness of it is appealing.

Wooly World is one of the worst stages I've ever played in a Smash game. Smash the Record had it (among a bunch of other non-legal stages) as fair game and literally every single game I played on there was a time out. Shit's annoying.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No one is mentioning Pac-land, cos the rest of us aren't heathens and know it to be a good stage.

...except those guys at Nintendo UK who stopped me from selecting it grumble grumble...

I love Pac-Land! It's not particularly a visual stunner but there's the classic music and I think the power-ups are pretty fun.

Woolly World is fine but I think its transition into that red walk-off is pretty underwhelming.

It's one of my favorites when I'm fucking around with my friends actually, something about the sheer weirdness of it is appealing.

Wooly World is one of the worst stages I've ever played in a Smash game. Smash the Record had it (among a bunch of other non-legal stages) as fair game and literally every single game I played on there was a time out. Shit's annoying.

No one is mentioning Pac-land, cos the rest of us aren't heathens and know it to be a good stage.

...except those guys at Nintendo UK who stopped me from selecting it grumble grumble...

I love Pac-Land! It's not particularly a visual stunner but there's the classic music and I think the power-ups are pretty fun.

Woolly World is fine but I think its transition into that red walk-off is pretty underwhelming.

Huh, each to their own I guess. None of the dedicated smashers I knew had any love for it (we called it the MS-Paint level) and none of the casuals I played it with had much fun with it either, often being punted about and killed by the level a lot :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I can't believe that we are hitting 158 different participators in Smash Prediction contest. Actually under than 24 hours too. It took a month and few weeks to reach to 121 participators in first contest thread.

I like the stage but sometime I really hate a certain spot in the stage because it always messed me up. Regardless, I still enjoy the stage as it is. I hope we would get Pac-Maze stage in Switch tho.

I can't believe that we are hitting 158 different participators in Smash Prediction contest. Actually under than 24 hours too. It took a month and few weeks to reach to 121 participators in first contest thread.

Good luck to everyone making predictions :3

My only prediction is that they won't add anyone I would actively ask for to the roster, but that thread is about guessing who'll make it, not who won't :p
Note that both Ashley and Inklings are characters that I would like and therefore I believe won't turn up.

edit: probably worth mentioning that I'm glad that Lucina, F.Robin and Palutena made it in so I've had characters to play but I'd trade any of them for Ashley, Braixen, Mawile, Inkling, Viridi, etc.
F.Corrin is a character I never asked for but I love that she's in and she's easily my fave member of the current roster.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

My only prediction is that they won't add anyone I would actively ask for to the roster, but that thread is about guessing who'll make it, not who won't :p
Note that both Ashley and Inklings are characters that I would like and therefore I believe won't turn up.

Just do it. What if it's time for you to shine!

That's a bomb ass Chibi Robo moveset! I really dig the gimmick and I love the detailed descriptions. I've always pondered how to incorporate the power cord into the moveset but I think your idea is really clever.

I think the little guy definitely deserves the Smash nod someday; he's just too cute and cool. Everyone should play all the Chibi Robi games cuz they're rad.

Thanks! I enjoy gimmicky characters, and Chibi is the star of one of my favorite games of all time! My idea was that, despite sharing Jigglypuff's weight, Chibi would have great survival skills thanks to his cord. I wanted it to represent his sheer dedication to his work. I'll probably post up more sets of mine every now and again!

Richie

If 3DS stages are indeed in Smash Switch, Mega Man is gonna be the only non DLC third party with just one stage. Then again Capcom has 2 characters, so hey. (SEGA does too technically but Bayo is a PlatinumGames rep AFAIC)

^Afraid not; good guess though!

Shovel Knight Digs In!

Shovelrous Stats

Size: 4
Weight: 7
Ground Speed: 4
Jump: 4
Air Speed: 8
Fall Speed: 7
Traction: 8

Specials: Steel Thy Shovel!

Neutral Special – Flare Wand/ Flareo Wand

With a tap of B, Shovel Knight very quickly brandishes a gilded wand before firing a Kirby-sized fireball from its tip. This fireball flies straight forwards at Mario's dash speed, and has infinite range. Upon contact, these fireballs deal 6% damage and light shoving knockback that will not KO. If B is tapped again while the Flare Wand is still out, Shovel Knight can fire another fireball with almost no lag, for a maximum of three fireballs on screen. If B is held rather than tapped, Shovel Knight instead brandishes the Flareo Wand. This special Relic creates a large fiery blast shortly in front of Shovel Knight. This last is roughly double the size of a Flare Wand fireball, and lingers place for roughly a second and a half. If a foe is hit, they are temporarily held in place until the fire blast fades away, which launches them with knockback that KO's around 190%. While trapped, the foe takes 5% every half second, for a total of 15% if the foe is held for the blast's entire lifespan. The Flare Wand is Shovel Knight's most simple and reliable projectile; not very powerful or impressive, but important nonetheless. One saving grace is the fireballs' size and limitless range. Meanwhile, the Flareo Wand is great for handling over aggressive foes. The Flareo Wand blast's size makes it a reliable damage racker, but it admittedly suffers from higher start lag than the simpler Flare Wand.

Side Special – Propeller Dagger

Shovel Knight draws another trusty Relic, the Propeller Dagger. Immediately afterwards, the Dagger drags Shovel Knight through the air at double his dash speed. He travels roughly a Battlefield platform before stowing the Dagger back in his inventory. If used on the ground, Shovel Knight flies just above the floor; in air he flies forwards at his current altitude, ignoring gravity until the attack ends. This can be used twice before Shovel Knight enters helpless. Upon hitting anything solid, be it foe or the stages, Shovel Knight bounces backwards and up. This can aid in recovery if he bounces on the edge. Hitting a foe does 7% and knocks them high enough to allow a second hit if it's still available. This move will not KO, but is great for mobility and recovery.

Up Special – Tow Anchor

Struggling slightly, Shovel Knight prepares the mighty Tow Anchor. After a short bit of lag, he throws the anchor in a high arc, landing about a Bowser length ahead of its takeoff point. However, the anchor drags him with it. The Tow Anchor is a very powerful projectile of sorts, dealing 15% and knockback that KO's at 150%. The high arc also aids Shovel Knight's recovery. However, due to the Anchor's weight, Shovel Knight experiences a hefty bit of endlag as he picks himself off the ground. Try and use this sparingly, as it's very possible to throw yourself off the bottom blast zone. Since Shovel Knight does not release the Anchor, reflectors have no effect on this attack.

Down Special – Chaos Sphere

From his unimpressive crouch, Shovel Knight unleashes the most unpredictable projectile in his arsenal. The Chaos Sphere is roughly Kirby's size and bounces wildly across the screen. It's speed and bounce height vary every time it hits something. Only one Chaos Sphere can exist at a time, and they last for roughly 7 seconds before fading away. On hit, the Sphere ricochets off the victim, dealing 10% and knockback that KO's at 180%.

Standards: Strike The Earth!

Jab: Shovel Knight performs a swing with his trusty Shovel Blade. This is a one-hit jab with surprising reach. Upon hit, this attack deals 4% damage and incredibly weak knockback that cannot KO. This jab's strength is in its low lag, allowing Shovel Knight to swing repeatedly at a respectable rate. If Shovel Knight jabs a projectile, the attack is redirected 45 degrees in the direction he's facing, meaning a projectile flying left would be deflected to fly up and right. This does NOT give Shovel Knight ownership of the projectile, it merely deflects it.

Dash Attack: From his dash, Shovel Knight launches forwards in a move very similar to Luigi's Green Missile. This move travels as far as an uncharged Green Missile. Upon hitting a foe or wall, Shovel Knight bounces away as he does with the Propeller Dagger. This move deals 8% and KO's at 175%.

F-tilt: Much like Mega Man, Shovel Knight's F-tilt is identical to his Jab. The main difference is that Shovel Knight temporarily stops moving to swing.

U-tilt: Taking inspiration from his victory pose, Shovel Knight thrusts his Shovel Blade into the air for a decent anti-air. Due to the awkward motion, this attack suffers some unfortunate lag. This attack deals 6% and KO's at 200%.

D-tilt: Shovel Knight performs an attack identical to his Jab, but grazes the ground. This kicks up between 1-5 rocks of random sizes. These rocks fly forward in random arcs. If a foe is hit, they flinch and suffer between 1-5% depending on the rock's size. However, being hit by one rock makes it likely that all the rocks will hit. Additionally, this move retains the Jab hitbox. This attack is great for damage racking and defending against aggressive attackers.

Smashes: Shovel Justice!

F-Smash: Interestingly for a Smash, upon input, Shovel Knight performs his Jab before charging. The Jab acts as normal. Also unique for a Smash, Shovel Knight can move very slowly while charging, even having access to one jump. The charge can be held indefinitely, at the cost of requiring a full charge to attack. C-Sticking this Smash results in Shovel Knight jabbing. Thankfully, this Smash charges much faster than most, and Shovel Knight blinks rapidly to signify that it's ready. Upon release, Shovel Knight performs an instantaneous slash with the Shovel Blade. This has absolutely no lag, hitting on frame one. This attacks deals an impressive 20% and KO's at 140%. This is a very scary KO move, but predictable. Additionally, this move reflects projectiles much like Mario's Cape. However, the intense velocity doubles the speed of reflected projectiles.

U-Smash: When charging, Shovel Knight pushes the Shovel Blade into the ground with his feet. Upon release, Shovel Knight quickly flings a large chunk of earth into the air. This chunk follows the high arc of the Tow Anchor. Depending on charge, the chunk can be anywhere between a Pokeball to Kirby in size. Depending on the size, this move deals between 7-18% and KO's between 180-150%.

D-Smash: Upon charging, Shovel Knight simply enters his crouch while flashing. Upon release, he performs his Jab. However, at the same time, a spark of energy flies across the ground. This Drop Spark will crawl the stage at Pikachu's dash speed until it hits a foe or a ledge, even climbing wall if need be. The Drop Spark deals 10% and KO's at 180%. If charged, Shovel Knight will perform multiple Jabs and launch multiple Drop Sparks. At max charge, he Jabs three times and releases three Sparks.

Aerials: Azure Aerialist

N-air: Showing impressive gymnastic skill, Shovel Knight curls into a ball and performs a midair somersault. This acts as a generic get-off-me N-air, but is decently fast. This deals 3% and KO's at 300%. If Shovel Knight lands while doing this, he sticks the landing expertly, suffering no landing lag.

F-air: Once again, this move is identical to his Jab.

B-air: This is the final Jab clone, I promise.

U-air: Shovel Knight brandishes a variant on his Propeller Dagger. This Rising Dagger pulls Shovel Knight upwards his own height. This does not put him in helpless, but can only be used once before landing. This deals 7% and KO's at 180% vertically.

D-air: Shovel Knight's signature technique. He mounts the Shovel Blade much like a pogo stick, with the blade pointing downwards. This does not change his fall speed or air speed. Upon hitting a foe, Shovel Knight bounces up a short distance before falling back down, still in the move. This deals 4% and light shoving knockback to grounded foes. With finesse, Shovel Knight can chase a grounded foe and rack up impressive damage. However, after three successful hits, the foe no longer flinches on hit, and can attempt to escape. Hitting an aerial foe causes a light spike effect. This move can be canceled by inputting any other aerial or special.

Grab: Shovel Knight takes a hand off his Shovel Blade and grasps forwards. This is decently quick, but with poor range. Dashing increases both the range and the lag.

Pummel: Shovel Knight, in an uncharacteristic moment of viciousness, headbutts the foe with his helmet. Slow, but deals a respectable 5%.

F-throw: Shovel Knight releases the foe before quickly performing an F-smash. This behaves identically to his F-smash, dealing 20% and KOing at 140%.

B-throw: In an animation inspired by Percy from the Plague of Shadows expansion, Shovel Knight tosses the foe over his shoulder, shaking his head disapprovingly. This causes the foe fly behind Shovel Knight in a low arc. This throw deals only 5%, but can KO if Shovel Knight has his back to the ledge.

U-throw: Taking inspiration from a trusty Relic, Shovel Knight tosses his foe skyward in an arc identical to his Tow Anchor. This gives him a second to breathe. This throw deals 4%.

D-throw: Shovel Knight releases the foe before quickly digging a pitfall under them. This causes a light pitfall effect that is easily escaped, but can allow a follow up. Deals 6%.

Final Smash: Catch Her

Shovel Knight looks skyward as the stage becomes bathed in white light. An arrow appears somewhere at the top of the screen. After 4 seconds, Shield Knight falls from this position. Should she hit the ground, she'll vanish in red smoke, ending the Final Smash and dissipating the white light. If Shovel Knight catches her, however, a massive flash of red light bathes the stage. This deals 50% to all foes, and causes a crumple effect much like Ryu's Focus Attack.

Extras: For Shovelry!

Up Taunt: Shovel Knight takes a Troupple Chalice from his inventory before quickly downing its contents. Depending on the color of the ichor within, one of three effects takes place:

Ichor of Renewal (Red): Restores 5% health.

Ichor of Boldness (Blue): Grants three hits of super armor. Shovel Knight glows blue while this is active.

Ichor of Fortune (Yellow): Attracts items for 5 seconds. Also increases Luck, meaning the next D-tilt will always have 5 rocks, and they are more likely to be large rocks.

The Up Taunt is a valuable asset to Shovel Knight, but can be interrupted, preventing any benefits. The three ichors always cycle in the order Red-Blue-Yellow.

Side Taunt: Shovel Knight embeds his Shovel Blade in the ground before pulling a map out and examining it thoughtfully. He then stows the map away and returns to his idle stance.

Down Taunt: Shovel Knight crouches for a moment, before a rainbow liquid begins cascading from his helmet. This taunt can be held indefinitely. The liquid pushes foes lightly. This could be used on the ledge as a casual ledge defense.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Professor, you did pretty darn good job with two movesets.

I can't believe we're just over a week away from potential Smash Bros. news.

Yeah, now almost 5 more days to go. I'm still unsure if we are going to hear something about Smash Bros at the event.

Thanks, and we finally hit over 200 participators!

And only 2 have them will have any basis in reality.

I am neither of them

Me too.

Professor, you did pretty darn good job with two movesets.

tumblr_nm54ge8ApY1u75st9o1_500.png

Thanks! I really enjoy writing these up! I gotta think of a new character to work on...

If you're into that kind of thing, on Smashboards there's this thing called Make Your Move, it's basically a small contest kind of thing where people submit movesets for all kinds of characters.

If you're into that kind of thing, on Smashboards there's this thing called Make Your Move, it's basically a small contest kind of thing where people submit movesets for all kinds of characters.

It's actually my inspiration! I was part of SmashBoards before I became a Gaffer!

The Shovel Knight moveset was actually finished the day the last MYM closed...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Pac Land has the awful walk offs and awful platforms, whereas the gimmick in Pac Maze is at least interesting. Also much better looking Omega stage.

In Pac Land when you try to smash someone, they tend to die. Not in Pac "I am Pokemon Stadium Windmill's Reincarnation" Maze

It's actually my inspiration! I was part of SmashBoards before I became a Gaffer!

The Shovel Knight moveset was actually finished the day the last MYM closed...

Ohh okay. I haven't kept up with MYM (or Smashboards for that matter) for years. I didn't know they stopped doing it.
Though given how much drama there was, I'm not surprised either heh.

Top Bottom