• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you're playin daft and acting like running over enemies is equally as viable in combat as firearms.

If it isn't viable then why is it included as a gameplay feature? Surely BioWare wouldn't include gameplay options in their game that serve no useful purpose right? If running enemies over isn't worth it why include it? What purpose would it then serve?

If most out in the world combat situations are set up like the first combat video of the game that came out, we'll likely be dealing in a lot of hab complexes or bunkers that set up a lot of barriers that would be difficult to move the Nomad through. Chances are trying to run over enemies as the primary way of beating them is going to be sub-optimal at best and suicide at worst.

Schrodinger's Nomad. Simultaneously nonviable and sub-optimal at running over enemies but somehow viable enough to warrant including in the game.

Hmm.

Bioware didn't want to add vehicular combat, it's not that they couldn't have or that it couldn't have been fun.

I'm assuming at this point something like 60% of the game is going to be spent in outdoorsey type environments. You don't make 7 planets that are all larger than the whole of Inquisition if you're not going to spend shitloads of time running and driving around them. The 7 golden worlds and the quests on them will probably form the majority of the game's runtime.

DOWN

Banned
If it isn't viable then why is it included as a gameplay feature? Surely BioWare wouldn't include gameplay options in their game that serve no useful purpose right? If running enemies over isn't worth it why include it? What purpose would it then serve?

Schrodinger's Nomad. Simultaneously nonviable and sub-optimal at running over enemies but somehow viable enough to warrant including in the game.

Hmm.
How would suggest they both keep the open driving while also removing the runover kills in your All or nothing mindset?

Hmm.

Now you're just being silly. It's a transportation vehicle. It's for exploration and navigating large environments. It not having a gun does not suddenly put their game design into question no matter how awkwardly you try to reframe the conversation.

How would suggest they both keep the open driving while also removing the runover kills in your All or nothing mindset?

The same method many other open-world games use to deal with collision: have the player controlled object or character forcefully diverted around the particular target. Much in the same way many games that have horses deliberately have the horse (or the target itself) move out of the way. Thus preserving the need to fight on foot so many here are keen to maintain.

But keep in mind I'm not advocating that. I wanted the short-range hull mounted gun that has severely diminishing damage gains at medium and long-range. However it seems that's out of the question so it doesn't really matter whether I want it or not.

Now you're just being silly. It's a transportation vehicle. It's for exploration and navigating large environments.

I eagerly await being forced to get in and get out of the Nomad every 30 meters because of mandated on-foot combat. Should be a blast. Probably as fun as watching the Nomad blow up and having to hoof it back to a forward station for another because the heat and other environment exposure destroyed it.

DOWN

Banned
The same method many other open-world games use to deal with collision: have the player controlled object or character forcefully diverted around the particular target. Much in the same way many games that have horses deliberately have the horse (or the target itself) move out of the way. Thus preserving the need to fight on foot so many here are keen to maintain.

But keep in mind I'm not advocating that. I wanted the short-range hull mounted gun that has severely diminishing damage gains at medium and long-range. However it seems that's out of the question so it doesn't really matter whether I want it or not.

I eagerly await being forced to get in and get out of the Nomad every 30 meters because of mandated on-foot combat. Should be a blast. Probably as fun as watching the Nomad blow up and having to hoof it back to a forward station for another because the heat and other environment exposure destroyed it.
Whew this logic is a hot mess

Killzig

Why would you hoof it back to a forward station if it's a fast travel point. I want the nomad to have a mortar because it's fun, but why are you harping on this so much DP?

Why would you hoof it back to a forward station if it's a fast travel point. I want the nomad to have a mortar because it's fun, but why are you harping on this so much DP?

I wasn't being literal. Fast-travelling back to a forward-point just to get another Nomad to drive back to the location where the last Nomad was destroyed so you can continue on sounds like and probably will be tedium.

Of course, so you agree that it doesn't make sense why the Nomad has the ability to run things over and blast things away to kill then.
Why are you being so obtuse? What would you have them do to avoid having players interacting with enemy NPC'S exactly? Only have the Nomad be drivable on a gigantic interstate with high barriers?

Having a gun on the Nomad would be BioWare encouraging the player to shoot at enemies from their vehicle. Having the ability to drive over enemies is them just accounting for the inevitability of players hitting an NPC somewhere.

Besides, what's the point of a mounted gun if they don't want to make that part a main focus of the game? You can make your combat as impressive, deep and fun as you want, but you'll always have a significant portion of your player base who will want to use the most efficient path no matter what, at which you're allowing a vestigial game mechanic to undercut your whole game. So you'd have to make it pretty damn underpowered, so why even include it at all? Or are you saying that a vehicle simply for transport shouldn't be allowed to exist?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
metacritic average of 58%

- exactly mass effect inquisition and everyone in the world hates inquisition aka worst game ever made no exaggeration
- where's the graphics??????? bad graphx
- sara ryder looks weird
- peebee more like pooshrek where the hot model asari????????????????
- no garrus
- ugh no rpg remember baldurs gate 2
- wow remember how bad mass effect 3s ending was??
- sjw pandering

+ quarian sweat tastes better than ever

Xando

- exactly mass effect inquisition and everyone in the world hates inquisition aka worst game ever made no exaggeration
- sara ryder looks weird
- no garrus
- sjw pandering

You forgot to mention EA buying reviews

Zolo

user score average of 58%

- sara ryder looks weird
- no garrus
- sjw pandering

Fixed.

xealo

- sara ryder looks weird
- no garrus
- sjw pandering

Id bet a lot of people who are even using BG2 in a metacritic "review" in that style is just name dropping without actually having played it too, else Bioware would have lost them with ME2 7 years ago already with much the same issue.

I would kill for an isometric RTwP game set in the Mass Effect universe.

I think it's a bit weird that Bioware hasn't jumped on the "old school" RPG resurgence, to be honest. They could assign a small team to it with a comparatively small budget and development time. I'm sure it would sell well.

It will never happen though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Charting the Andromeda Galaxy for habitable planets presents a unique challenge. Observation is limited by light, and given Andromeda's distance, any observations from the Milky Way are 2.5 million years out of date - enough time for a planet to have altered irrecoverably.

Initial attempts to identify settlement sites were made by obtaining asari astronomical surveys and running them through predictive models. But Jien Garson was unwilling to risk thousands of colonists without solid information.

Eventually the initiative obtained promising data from quarian explorers who claimed to have found a geth array on the fringes of the Perseus Vale. This array was supposedly built from three mass relays, using sensors in the combined relay corridor as a form of FLT "telescope" to observe dark space beyond the galactic rim. Why geth expanded so much effort to study dark space is not known.

Amongst these observations were near-contemporary surveys of Andromeda. When our predictive models confirmed them within an acceptable margin, the initiative was able to begin identifying "golden worlds".

diaspora

I would kill for an isometric RTwP game set in the Mass Effect universe.

I think it's a bit weird that Bioware hasn't jumped on the "old school" RPG resurgence, to be honest. They could assign a small team to it with a comparatively small budget and development time. I'm sure it would sell well.

It will never happen though.
It won't ever happen because nobody buys them. The resurgence is still really niche.

GIF-Amused-Chuckle-Chuffed-Pleased-Point-Point-and-laugh-GIF.gif

DOWN

Banned
Dragon Age had some beautiful vistas and locations, and some excellent story missions. The cast also had some BioWare greats. I was pleased it made it to number 4 in the NeoGAF top 5 that year. Disappointing that people seem to pretend it wasn't mostly fantastic, liked by the gaming community, and a great refresh of BioWare's tech and talent for the new generation when it was in its first months before the shit posts became law.

Bombless

Now that they've confirmed the MP would follow ME3's model for expansions I feel I cannot avoid the Origin Access trial but at the same time I just KNOW I will blow through those 10 hours in a single sitting and spend the rest of the days until release on the floor in foetal position.

DevilDog

It seems like MEA is a game made by suits, for suits. Its the same as Inquisition, so I think reviews will be 80+ for sure.

Also the gameplay appears to be solid enough for it to not drop under 80. If they manage to get something under it in such a low risk environment it'd be surprised.

It seems like MEA is a game made by suits, for suits. Its the same as Inquisition, so I think reviews will be 80+ for sure.

Also the gameplay appears to be solid enough for it to not drop under 80. If they manage to get something under it in such a low risk environment it'd be surprised.

What does this even mean? Do you realize that every video game, especially in the AAA space, is a venture for a company to make money?

It seems like MEA is a game made by suits, for suits.
I'm suddenly imagining like 70 Agent Smiths in a room each at their own workstation, working on the new Mass Effect.

When suddenly, a boardroom meeting by the publisher is called between 10 Agent Smiths to discuss how the project is shaping along.

X-Frame

Horizon is doing a wonderful job keeping my attention until this game drops. It's crazy that I'll be playing a new Mass Effect in just 2 weeks.

DOWN

Banned
I have zero doubts that there will be some alcoves and atmosphere in this game world that will make it entirely worthwhile

I'm too far gone to appreciate games like Baldurs Gate. My entry point was KOTOR. The isometric games.. I just can't. Very sad that I had to refund Torment. I really thought I would like it, but the amount of reading. I'm way to privileged in expecting voiced characters for my immersion and detailed cinematics. Shadowrun, Diablo. I just cannot deal with it.

I think you need to have appreciated those types of games at the time. But I was not playing PC games in that golden era.

It's weird how people have so different levels of nostalgia.- My association with Bungie goes back to the Mac and Marathon, so it's weird hearing people starting to have fond memories beginning with Halo 3. It's like "whhatt?" and then I remember that Halo 3 is 10 years old. Insanity.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
So Quarians confirmed, I'm still here in the corner waiting for my beloved Volus trading post in Andromeda to be announced.

I am a biotic god, etc.

I'm too far gone to appreciate games like Baldurs Gate. My entry point was KOTOR. The isometric games.. I just can't. Very sad that I had to refund Torment. I really thought I would like it, but the amount of reading. I'm way to privileged in expecting voiced characters for my immersion and detailed cinematics. Shadowrun, Diablo. I just cannot deal with it.

I think you need to have appreciated those types of games at the time. But I was not playing PC games in that golden era.

It's weird how people have so different levels of nostalgia.- My association with Bungie goes back to the Mac and Marathon, so it's weird hearing people starting to have fond memories beginning with Halo 3. It's like "whhatt?" and then I remember that Halo 3 is 10 years old. Insanity.
I know exactly how you feel, and like you, I started with RPGs in the 2002-2004 period so I certainly have a fond memory of the RPGs of that era. KOTOR 1 + 2, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines, Morrowind, Arx Fatalis, Gothic 2.

I've tried to go back to the classic isometric RPGs but for some reason, I just start to lose interest after a while :( Certainly doesn't help that I absolutely suck at the combat, and just generally don't enjoy that part.

Though I've made a vow to finish Planescape: Torment by the end of the year.

Zolo

I can play fairly old games despite my entry point for WRPG's being KOTOR basically. I reached my limit trying to play old-school Ultima though.

Ain't watching that! That being said though, general impressions?
I quite liked it. It showed of portions of the Nexus and the Hyperion. The Nexus seems very reminiscent of the Citadel, at least to me it did. They showed off some of the Nexus leaders; Addison, Kesh, and a turian named Kendros, who seems to be Sloane Kelly's replacement. They also showed off the Vortex bar, which I liked, and isn't particularly big. All they showed of Hyperion is Alec's room and SAM's core. It's a short video, and doesn't really spoil anything, at least anything that I noticed.

Mindlog

I will have the platinum by the end of the week.
The Horizon puzzle just becomes greater by the day for me. I really like the game as indicated by my pursuit of the platinum, but the difference in critical tenor is extraordinary.
I can dig it. Fits well with ME's trademark DryWall Sci-Fi.

- sara ryder looks weird
- no garrus
- sjw pandering

Sounds about right.
Some Horizon reviews called it a great RPG while giving it a perfect score :x
I hate to keep picking at this point, but I'm just so damned confused. Very good game don't get me wrong. However (ellipses.)

DevilDog

I'm suddenly imagining like 70 Agent Smiths in a room each at their own workstation, working on the new Mass Effect.

When suddenly, a boardroom meeting by the publisher is called between 10 Agent Smiths to discuss how the project is shaping along.

Revolutions was kind of a let down. I'd like to imagine regular agents with Mac being the mastermind.

Why do you think he is always bald?

Killzig

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xe4NoXadPI
New IGN video about a tour of the Nexus.

Looks nice and well, I guess I should spoiler tag the rest of my comments.
Looks nice and roomy. I was worried when they announced the new galaxy that this game would have too much of a frontier feeling, but between that shot of the squad looking out the window at some buildings and this Nexus video I am feeling pretty good.

Also pretty cool that the Weapons / MP dude is the character from the tie-in comics. I wonder if he even knows his sister is dead given he may have been undercover for a few years.

As far as that voice cameo... 600 years, a new galaxy, and Mac still won't stop making me hate her. Sounds like they used the breathier ME2 VO style too. No mas!

emag

I think I'm done with previews, at least of single-player content. There are too many spoilers in the recent IGN videos.

The classic PC RPGs -- Pool of Radiance et al. -- at least had the decency to let you read text on actual printed paper instead of in an ugly font on a low-resolution screen. The Infinity Engine games -- Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment among them -- were huge steps backward in both gameplay and user-friendly interfaces.

diaspora

I think I'm done with previews, at least of single-player content. There are too many spoilers in the recent IGN videos.

The classic PC RPGs -- Pool of Radiance et al. -- at least had the decency to let you read text on actual printed paper instead of in an ugly font on a low-resolution screen. The Infinity Engine games -- Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment among them -- were huge steps backward in both gameplay and user-friendly interfaces.
To be fair the QOL and UX of modern CRPGs aren't any better- i.e. Pillars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom