• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga is way more diverse and varied than I had imagined

Status
Not open for further replies.

casiopao

For those who love war series. I would also recommend, Koukoku no Shugosha. A realistic and very gritty war manga. And it have Big Tiger baby. Sabertooth Tiger too. Whats not to likey?

Eila

There are dozens of us. Dozens!

Spread the love brother.
AQUA/ARIA
cover.jpg

Ratrat

Duh....

There is manga on almost any concievable subject. Definitely fun to browse stores just seeing whats out there.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What, no KINGDOM recommendation?

Are you kidding me?

KINGDOM is most probably simply unmatched in its sense of scale and epicness. I literally experienced numerous goosebumps while reading through it.

Erheller

Anything by Inio Asano is worth your time
Goodnight Punpun is a goddamn masterpiece.

I picked up Solanin at the bookstore on a whim a few months ago, and it was amazing.

With manga I always get the feeling that there's so much out there I don't even know where to start looking.

HeelPower

Can somebody recommend manga about Mature subject matter that is actually consistent and doesn't cave in to satisfy established tropes and/or fanservice ?

kswiston

Far future sci-fi with that art? Yes, that's my jam right there

Is there a lot of world building? Are you familiar with the Image comic Prophet? Another series like that would be amazing

There is a ton of worldbuilding. The story runs about 1000 pages. It's a single story arc.

Here's the setting via Wikipedia: The story is set in the future at the closing of the ceramic era, 1,000 years after the Seven Days of Fire, a cataclysmic global war, in which industrial civilization self-destructed. Although humanity survived, the land surface of the Earth is still heavily polluted and the seas have become poisonous. Most of the world is covered by the Sea of Corruption, a bioengineered toxic forest of fungal life and plants which is steadily encroaching on the remaining open land. It is protected by large mutant insects, including the massive Ohmu. Humanity clings to survival in the polluted lands beyond the forest, periodically engaging in bouts of internecine fighting for the scarce resources that remain. The ability for space travel has been lost but the earth-bound remnants of humanity can still use gliders and powered aircraft for exploration, transportation and warfare. (Powered land vehicles are completely nonexistent, with humanity regressed to dependence on riding animals and beasts-of-burden.)

Like a lot of Miyazaki's work, it has a lot of environmentalist themes. It also deals with fatalistic nihilism (which makes sense given the state of the planet), and you can see a lot of philosophical influence coming from some of the eastern religions. It's a great series, and not something that is neverending either. The version I have was 4 volumes.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Try 20th Century Boys. Your mind will be blown.

Ugh, I don't understand the love-fest so many people have with this. It's probably one of the worst offender of the a where a manga that is initially great gets padded by seemingly endless nonsense stuff just to lengthen its story.

"Friend is A", "no wait Friend is B!", "Nooo Friend is C!", "Surprise, Friend is A after all!", "What, do you think Friend is C? He is actually D!" repeat ad nauseum over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Even Monster was not that bad, which makes it infinitely better than 20th Century Boys.

Can somebody recommend manga about Mature subject matter that is actually consistent and doesn't cave in to satisfy established tropes and/or fanservice ?

Goodnight Punpun is very good. Careful tho, it might exhaust you emotionally as you read through it. It's such a tiring--in a good way!--experience reading it.

Also, Kingdom. The lead is prooobably your typical hot-headed guy but my God, the sheer awesomeness of the entire thing entirely eclipses it. And the manga features basically no fanservice at any kind whatsoever.

Skittles

Monster
Goodnight Punpun
20th Century Boys

although an anime "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" is one of the best if not the best political sci-fi drama.

FMA isn't split though. The writer is the artist. Are you thinking of her other more recent work Aslan which is based on an older novel and she's only drawing it? Death Note would be a popular series which splits between writer and artist.

You are correct, I was thinking of her work on Arslan. Sad mistake to make, as I generally love all of Arakawa's stuff.

While I love comics, it always impresses me how so many manga artists are able to put so much detail in their panels. You could name hundreds that can make panels like those in manga but not that many in comics.

Asano takes photos and then inks over them. He could probably draw those backgrounds too. Manga artists typically have background artists or other assistants that usually go unaccredited.

If you wanna see what an American comic looks like with a background artist

suzu

On my wishlist for the future, I got my eye on Knights of Sidonia, Vinland Saga, Attack on Titan, Ajin: Demi-Human, and Dorohedoro. And keeping my fingers crossed that Uzumaki gets a digital release.

Yesss to Dorohedoro! I think a lot of people are turned away by the artstyle, but the setting and characters are so good. It's really funny as well.

duckroll

Ugh, I don't understand the love-fest so many people have with this. It's probably one of the worst offender of the a where a manga that is initially great gets padded by seemingly endless nonsense stuff just to lengthen its story.

What's there not to understand? 20th Century Boys is the Lost of manga. It's super popular, tells great slices of human stories through character flashbacks which are self-contained from the larger plot, while leading everyone on with breadcrumbs in the thriller story only to end up being make-it-up-as-we-go-along pulp shit. :)

There are lot of good recommendations in here. A personal favorite of mine, even though the artstyle is extremely "grungy" is Dorohedoro. The cast is extremely likeable, even the "bad guys" who are basically a magic user mob are all pretty much easy to like, and the setting is extremely unique.

Dorohedoro_01.jpg

On a side note, when you think about it, it is amazing how large the manga industry is relative to comics in the West (though I can't speak about Europe, so I mostly have a US perspective). Like I never really thought about it much, but there are manga sales in the millions, while getting a few hundred thousand for a comic is great. Personally I have met more people who have read manga in the US than read a comic. I used to work in a comic shop, and honestly it is pretty niche. Most sales are through online and weekly pulls from regulars. This is not to diminish the significance of mainstream comics, everyone knows the popular characters and the characters are spreading to other mediums such as film and television like Wildfire. But I just think it is impressive how diverse and large the manga medium is relative to comics as a reference.

There are lot of good recommendations in here. A personal favorite of mine, even though the artstyle is extremely "grungy" is Dorohedoro. The cast is extremely likeable, even the "bad guys" who are basically a magic user mob are all pretty much easy to like, and the setting is extremely unique.
My only hesitancy is that I read a few reviews that said that the art changed pretty dramatically from the beginning of the series to now

===

As for recommendations in this thread:
KfE360l.png

Dio

Banned

Vagabond
Blame!
Biomega
Historie
Ressentiment
Dorohedoro
Dungeon Meshi (Don't know if this is the kind of tropes you care about, it's turning D&D tropes on their head/playing with them)
Kurosagi
Shamo
One Outs
Battle Angel Alita/Last Order
Strongest Legend Kurosawa
Kaiji

My only hesitancy is that I read a few reviews that said that the art changed pretty dramatically from the beginning of the series to now

I noticed that this seems to happen to a decent amount of manga as they run long enough. The artists change and modify their style as they go along. I know Araki who created Jojo's Bizarre Adventure modifies his artstyle, even within the same Part. If you read it sequentially, interestingly enough you don't really notice a drastic change. But if you were to compare early Jojo Part 7 to late Part 7, it is interesting in the differences. Also I advise Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. The stories are basically divided into parts with a different main protagonist and adventure. I recommend going through them in order. It's extremely bizarre but so worth it. The 1st part is the most run of the mill but it is short and it kicks in the crazy part 2 and up.

HeelPower

Vagabond
Blame!
Biomega
Historie
Ressentiment
Dorohedoro
Dungeon Meshi (Don't know if this is the kind of tropes you care about, it's turning D&D tropes on their head/playing with them)
Kurosagi
Shamo
One Outs
Battle Angel Alita/Last Order
Strongest Legend Kurosawa
Kaiji

Monster
Goodnight Punpun
20th Century Boys

although an anime "Legend of the Galactic Heroes" is one of the best if not the best political sci-fi drama.

"Friend is A", "no wait Friend is B!", "Nooo Friend is C!", "Surprise, Friend is A after all!", "What, do you think Friend is C? He is actually D!" repeat ad nauseum over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Even Monster was not that bad, which makes it infinitely better than 20th Century Boys.

Goodnight Punpun is very good. Careful tho, it might exhaust you emotionally as you read through it. It's such a tiring--in a good way!--experience reading it.

Also, Kingdom. The lead is prooobably your typical hot-headed guy but my God, the sheer awesomeness of the entire thing entirely eclipses it. And the manga features basically no fanservice at any kind whatsoever.

Thanks 👍

Aki-at

There's been already way too many good recommendations covered that I'm at a loss of what I can mention (Glad you checked out Ito Junji's stuff already! :D) so I'll mention the two series that have yet been covered, Trigun and Watamote;

Trigun is about the pacifist gunman Vash the Stampede wandering on a world where humans have been stranded on for close to two hundred years. With a lot of fantastic art, plenty of well drawn gun battles (Though I'll admit the action can get a bit hard to follow at times) striking poses throughout, great character humour and memorable character designs, it's a great adventure to follow and my personal favourite manga. Whilst the anime followed the first 3 volumes pretty closely, the rest of the 11 or so volumes were unfortunately not adapted. If you like Westerns with a bit of sci-fi/fantasy on the side and a decent conclusion, give it a read. Nightow's art is pretty rough in the beginning but it's a series where you can see him improve over the coming years.

On the other hand Watamote is a comedic series about a highschool girl with serious social anxiety. Our protagonist Tomoko will find herself in many awkward position, instead of blaming her own social ineptitude she falls back on society being the problem and acts like a bit of a scumbag in the process. The series though is a really good laugh and as you progress through it, you can see how slowly develop from being unable to hold a conversation to saying normal stuff here and there. This however brings the manga's downside as it takes about 60 chapters or so before it starts hitting it's stride, before then it's still a good read but after that point almost every chapter has gotten lot's of laughs from me and some genuinely sweet moments.

Also I'd recommend JoJo's Bizarre Adventure just for how iconic the art is. I'd link you some images but I don't want to spoil myself since I'm only on Part 4 :p

suzu

It's more like the artist gets better at drawing, which makes sense (it's over many years worth of work). The art style change isn't like super jarring or anything, if that's what you're concerned about.

maomaoIYP

Go check manga called Kasane for tons of fuckery.^~^

Kasane is easily the darkest manga I have ever read. And I've been collecting manga for 26 years.

You are correct, I was thinking of her work on Arslan. Sad mistake to make, as I generally love all of Arakawa's stuff.

Arakawa's Hyakushō kizoku and Silver Spoon are both excellent works as well, both based on her experience growing up as a farmer in Hokkaido.

casiopao

Kasane is easily the darkest manga I have ever read. And I've been collecting manga for 26 years.

Arakawa's Hyakushō kizoku and Silver Spoon are both excellent works as well, both based on her experience growing up as a farmer in Hokkaido.

Indeed. Ugly is a sin to one while being beautiful is a curse to another. OMG.

casiopao

Before i forget also, to those who like little girl killing people and doing government dirty job however without any pointless ecchi thingy filled with great Italian aesthetic, go read.

Gunslinger Girl. another top quality manga which more people should read.^~^

Beartruck

Go read some Urasawa. Monster, 20th Century Boys, Pluto. I'm sure you'll like it.
20th century boys' 2nd act is on par with Death note's 2nd act to me and both have the same problems that really drag them down. Pluto is amazing, although the commentary on the iraq war gets a little thick in the 2nd half.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
People who think of "manga" and "anime" (and any other form of media, for that matter) as genres are sad.

Glad you saw the light, OP.

This is gorgeous. Just the other day I thought maybe I'd like to check out the GitS manga, and now I see this thread. Never tried any before. I'd rather just do digital, though. Are most available that way?
GITS manga is actually on sale on Comixology

Unfortunately I've found that a lot of cool mangas aren't available digitally. I wanted to read Berserk so badly that I caved and finally ordered a physical copy. To put that in perspective, I have only read digital comics for the last two years and never planned to ever buy hard copies.

But if you're into digital, there is still a sizable selection

What's there not to understand? 20th Century Boys is the Lost of manga. It's super popular, tells great slices of human stories through character flashbacks which are self-contained from the larger plot, while leading everyone on with breadcrumbs in the thriller story only to end up being make-it-up-as-we-go-along pulp shit. :)

Most accurate reading of 20th century boys ever.

People who think of "manga" and "anime" (and any other form of media, for that matter) as genres are sad.

Glad you saw the light, OP.
Ironic, since I tend to feel the same way when misinformed people talk about indie games

But yeah, it was the same with comics. I thought it was mostly Marvel, DC, and superheroes, and then I dove a bit deeper through the GAF threads and realized comics are where all the awesome sci-fi and horror stories were hiding. Oh and Stray Bullets

cackhyena

GITS manga is actually on sale on Comixology

Unfortunately I've found that a lot of cool mangas aren't available digitally. I wanted to read Berserk so badly that I caved and finally ordered a physical copy. To put that in perspective, I have only read digital comics for the last two years and never planned to ever buy hard copies.

But if you're into digital, there is still a sizable selection
Cool, thanks.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Shinichi Sakamoto never gets brought up in these threads. Damn shame. Here's some art from Innocent / Innocent Rouge.

Theatrical play reinterpretation of later 18th century France that is gorgeous, grandiose, and grotesque. Not licensed in English though, unfortunately.

As for recommendations in this thread:
http://i.imgur.com/KfE360l.png?1[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'd highly recommend buying the [URL="https://www.amazon.com/dp/1421550644/?tag=neogaf0e-20"]Nausicaa hardcover box set[/URL] over the individual paperback volumes. Not only are the hardcover books big and beautiful, but I'm pretty sure you end up paying a decent bit less for the box set vs. the regular seven volumes altogether.

wandering

Banned
I guess I'll take this thread as an excuse to dump images from my favorite artists

Takehiko Inoue

Hitoshi Ashinano

Taiyou Matsumoto

Inio Asano

Daisuke Igarashi

Kaoru Mori

Shinichi Sakamoto

Sumomo Yumeka

Natsume Ono

Kenji Tsuruta

Douman Seiman

Mitsuru Adachi (even though he uses the same character designs in everything he draws)

Ratrat

Shinichi Sakamoto never gets brought up in these threads. Damn shame. Here's some art from Innocent / Innocent Rouge.

Theatrical play reinterpretation of later 18th century France that is gorgeous, grandiose, and grotesque. Not licensed in English though, unfortunately.

I'd highly recommend buying the Nausicaa hardcover box set over the individual paperback volumes. Not only are the hardcover books big and beautiful, but I'm pretty sure you end up paying a decent bit less for the box set vs. the regular seven volumes altogether.
Been reading Innocent and its so beautiful and cool.

So, to put it simply, I always had a certain perspective regarding manga (and anime). My only exposure to it was seeing commercials for Dragon Ball Z as a kid, and the glimpses of art online. When I thought manga, I thought stuff like this

Maybe there will good stories out there, probably not, but the art was the biggest turn-off. (Personally, I still can't stand that style)

That all started to change thanks to two things: Afro Samurai and Junji Ito

The former was important in showing me that anime/manga was more than just those glimpses I had seen as a kid, but it was Enigma of Amigara Fault that really got the ball rolling. I had actually only gotten in comics in general two years ago, and had been very impressed by the sheer amount of great sci-fi, horror, and crime thriller series, so discovering Ito's work and learning that manga also had really fantastic horror stories with a more realistic art style than I had ever seen before was eye opening.

And from it was down the rabbit hole. First manga series I got into was Lone Wolf and Cub, follow by Parasyte, which had caught my eye due to the crazy body horror action. Then onto Blame and Biomega, both with their intricate art style and sci-fi horror stories. Blade of the Immortal, The Drifting Classroom, and One Punch Man soon after, and then Tomie, Gyo, and Berserk

It took me a while to get used to reading right to left and the panel layout. As you can tell from the list, I tend to like a pretty specific spectrum of manga. A more realistic art style, and heavy on the horror or sci-fi. One Punch Man was actually my first foray into another manga genre, and I was surprised to find how genuinely funny and fun that series is.

After Ito, it's Nihei's work that has really impressed me the most. I love his minimalist narratives and focus on visual storytelling and detailed spaces, the disgusting body horror and well-drawn action. I'm looking forward to continuing with Berserk as well.

On my wishlist for the future, I got my eye on Knights of Sidonia, Vinland Saga, Attack on Titan, Ajin: Demi-Human, and Dorohedoro. And keeping my fingers crossed that Uzumaki gets a digital release.

Welcome to Universes of Obsessions. Enjoy.

I'd highly recommend buying the Nausicaa hardcover box set over the individual paperback volumes. Not only are the hardcover books big and beautiful, but I'm pretty sure you end up paying a decent bit less for the box set vs. the regular seven volumes altogether.
Was thinking of going volume by volume due to not being sure if I like it, but the box set is definitely quite cheaper than getting them individually

Welcome to Universes of Obsessions. Enjoy.
Tell me about it. I read One Punch Man volume 1 and then I bought all current volumes immediately after. And Blame Deluxe Editions 1 and 2

zoku88

What do you use to read? A tablet or an e-reader? I'd like to get into reading manga again (sold all of mine long ago), but don't want to take up space. Also, do you use a manga reading app? (I think Viz has one)

Personally, I wouldn't recommend an e-reader. I used to read on a kindle paperwhite, but the page sizes make it really slow.

I just read on my 7" tablet now.

The apps I are just the kindle app, google books and bookwalker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom