• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shipping Unfinished/Unpolished Games Now, Apologizing Later With Patch Roadmap

Gator86

It is not at all the customer's fault. The customer doesn't have any control over how a company making a game handles the financial end of development.

Plenty of developers budget accordingly to their price point and put out a quality product for the asking price.

It's a birdirectional relationship so it's absolutely partly on the consumer. Companies don't exist in a vacuum. They will act as rotten as customers, and legal/regulatory mechanisms, allow. Companies would not do this type of stuff if they expected to be punished for it in the near term, and long term to a lesser extent.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
This has been the slow(and predicted) decline of quality from what was originally birthed as 'games as a service'. You can't even combat this with low sales/no sales numbers, because then the said publisher will blame everyone but themselves and fire a talented developer. It is literally a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The best we can hope for at this point are patches, because at least those show that some of them care about feedback.

Edit: Furthermore, this way of treating games is forcing my hand to buy them as digital copies when I used to prefer discs last gen and before. What is the literal point of a disc other than to bypass the first 20 or so gigs you have to download, when you're just going to download 20 or more gigs in the near future. Especially since version 1.0(which is the disc version) may be a broken mess. They are one step away from becoming glorified artistic coasters.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I read the first paragraph and let me stop you right there.

Persona 5 is as complete a game you'll ever get. They arent going to add anymore to it, theres the free JP audio. Heck the game doesnt even have any patches, how can you claim its unfinished?

WHAT THE FUCK!? *triggered*

Eh, they may put out a 1.01 patch that fixes some typos. Very little man hours is required for such a thing.

Wulfram

Eh, none of those products were in a state where it was unreasonable to sell them. If you're a customer, not a fan, then you got your product and if you don't like them, then that's your look out.

SOLDIER

I realize this is a trend in console gaming now, but this is more just that the downsides of PC gaming come along with the upsides of PC gaming as consoles turn into PCs.

Like the good end of this is you can get amazing service updates that make a great game even better. The downside is that you can also ship a largely broken or very troubled product and patch your way to launch quality.

The upside is that these patches tend to come faster these days, and you don't have to wait in line at FilePlanet to get them. A lot of developers will also try to go the extra mile after fixing the game to make it better than it would have been if they just delayed an extra month or two.

My recommendation would be not buying games at launch and enjoying the best versions for much cheaper 6 or so months later.

I know I'm not the only one who felt really, really confident in Persona 5's quality.

I also didn't want to lose out the amazing discount I got on the Take Your Heart CE.

If I had to be suspicious of every single new release on the grounds that it wouldn't hit its intended quality months later, I would be a significantly more jaded gamer. I'd probably quit games altogether.

Yes, the P5 issue is much smaller than the other listed examples, but it's still a big disappointment as it follows the same publishing conceit. I'll probably get over it as I venture farther into the game (I barely just got done with the first dungeon, and am still in tutorial mode), but it's still a sour spot considering NieR Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn and (framerate aside) BotW all launched perfectly.

Head.spawn

No Mans' Sky was a developer problem from looks of it, the rest of those are likely due to publisher.

Like others have said, not sure why you decided to throw in Persona 5, that kicks your hyperbole up to hyperbole².

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Eh, they may put out a 1.01 patch that fixes some typos. Very little man hours is required for such a thing.

They MAY but they havent said anything and theres no day 1 patch.

Lumping Persona 5 in with trash like No Mans Sky and Mass Effect Andromeda is quite frankly insulting and an easy way to discredit any valid argument OP might have had.

Optimization issues/bugs aren't nearly as egregious as "We are literally going cheap in this aspect".

According to the other thread, the problems with P5's localization is that some of the major localizers of previous Atlus games no longer work with the company, as well as the Japan side of the company strong-arming their confounding practices into the game (such as the pronounciation of Sakamoto).

Nah dude. Putting it as a thing about "cheapness" is a BS excuse. Don't cherry pick.

And the localization is mostly great. Eh.

kennyamr

Persona 5, huh?

*sigh*

OP, c'mon. I know you are mad and everything but don't make up stuff just to keep ranting over stuff you don't like.

best case scenario, sure.

on the other side, if anything slipped through the net, you were fucked.

For sure, but at least it incentivized shipping the game as complete as possible. Whereas now it's literally "eh we can fix it later, just get it out within the fiscal year"

Wow at how many people Ctrl + F 'persona 5' and then didn't read anything else so they could lose their shit. He didn't say it was unfinished. He outlined why he's including it.

It has a big glaring problem that could put a lot of people off of buying/playing it right now until the issue is possibly corrected later down the line. It goes on the list.

I agree with Nirolak: the downsides of PC gaming have tagged along with the upsides too. That doesn't make it okay, but it does mean that we as consumers have to find ways of pressuring companies to start giving a shit about their product launches. Easiest way is to not preorder BUT ALSO to be vocal about why we aren't preordering instead of them just scratching their heads and taking less risks because they don't know why we won't preorder.

Papacheeks

Banned
Between No Man's Sky, Street Fighter V, Final Fantasy XV, Mass Effect Andromeda and now maybe Persona 5 of all things, this is now officially a trend that publishers are taking with their games. I now think it is the single worst thing to happen to videogames.

Sure, there's the glass-half-full approach to this: most publishers who release a shoddy, rushed-out game would typically say "Fuck you, got mine" and not bother making any fixes. There's also the strange middle-ground example with FFXV, which does not entirely get a pass as it does have some narrative/gameplay flaws that should have been ironed out before release, but is still alleging to address those flaws as well as add completely new (and previously unplanned) additions to the game such as off-road driving and additional playable characters.

But the most egregious examples are just far too terrible for this trend to continue. Mass Effect: Andromeda is a technical embarrasment that plenty of people on staff must have noticed, but was still shipped out anyway because "fuck the fans, get it out there (and later tell them how much we care)". Having a detailed roadmap of patches doesn't fill me with any relief...it just tells me the game isn't worth playing at all until months after all their patches (or even then...I've personally lost all interest in ever touching that game).

There was a brief moment where the argument could be made about "early access" console games, and it began and ended with Street Fighter V. If Capcom had released that game with a functioning Arcade Mode, the Fight Money store and an almost-complete online network, then this could have been the beginning of a unique trend with getting games out earlier so long as the core features were available. Instead, their Makoto walk animation levels of slow updates have decimated their sales and possibly any longterm interest. There's something to be said when every single fighting game released afteward has come out with three times SFV's roster and with far quicker updates.

And now this might happen with Persona 5. The circumstances may not be as shitty: the translation isn't bad, the streaming situation can easily be reversed, etc. But it didn't have to happen. It was the one game I'm certain lots of people were hoping would release issue-free. My launch experience has been soured as a result, and if Atlus is going to come up with their own "patches roadmap" to polish the localization, I might just put the game down then and there. It's extremely rare for me to go back and replay a game 30+ hours, and Persona games tend to go towards the hundreds. What's the point playing a product that I know is officially "inferior", especially when I can still put time toward the games that came out bullshit-free? Imagine if Nintendo pulled this shit with Zelda or any of their other releases.

I'm at a point where just reading the PR-formatted letters that state how these fixes are the result of "the fans" and "strong community feedback" makes me want to puke.

We aren't your fucking fans, we're your customers. If you really cared, you wouldn't have done us dirty to begin with.

Again, not every instance of this is a No Man's Sky fuck-up, but it's becoming more and more of a common trend and I for one am sick of it. I'm not saying every new release has to be perfect and bug-free from launch, but the corners these publishers have cut are far beyond simple annoyances like Zelda's framerate. They are sweeping issues that take months (or possibly never) to fix. I honestly can't think of a worse thing to happen to modern videogames.

For most multiplayer intensive games and games with a known rocky development I see this being an issue. But when you also get games out the gate like horizon, or on the Japanese side like Yakuza 0, Gravity rush 2, Tales of Bersaria, Persona 5, even resident evil 7 it seems to be specific games not all.

I would say most of western third party games usually are the bigger culprits. Looking at you Mass Effect:A.
I mean Nintendo you rarely see anything like this for the most part, zelda is the first game I'v seen in a long time in such a state framerate/performance wise from then that needed immediate patching.

I don't expect to see games like MARIO KRT,ARMS and the later having as many issues since they were planned switch developed games. Zelda was in essence ported/developed within the last year for switch.
Hopefully we get more games like YAKUZA, persona 5, horizon and the likes that only make small updates for little things. But when it comes to multiplatform big published games from the west it really is dissapointing.
So many in the last year or so like Dishonored, Mafia 3, Just cause 3 among others that run like shit or are inconstant.

Quality Assurance testing is so far gone at this point in the industry. It still exists but companies don't put as many resources into it because the advent of patching. Years ago people sang praises of it since games could have game breaking bugs patched. But back in my day we didn't need to worry since everything was tested and polished. No need to worry about this crap we're dealing with today. It isn't about game deadlines. It's about devs saving a few bucks on not having to test their shit.

Assanova

"oh, the game's not done yet? I'll come back when it's fixed and over half off"

This has been my philosophy after No Man's Sky. I don't even trust reviews anymore. I wait until the community plays the game for a few weeks, and if the general consensus is that the game is incomplete, I wait and buy the game on sale, but only if the major issues are fixed. I skipped FFXV and Mass Effect Andromeda because of this.

His whole point is that modern games have massive issues. Saying "oh and this game has some minor issues too" adds nothing and hurts his argument. Like, most games have small issues that could be fixed. Why does Persona 5 specifically merit inclusion here?

It's just one example that was on OP's mind? The takeaway I got from it was to show that not all launch issues are always game-breaking, and they find it frustrating that a game they think should have had a seamless launch (critical acclaim, growing worldwide popularity of the franchise, numerous delays granting plenty of extra time for the localization), still gets bogged down by strange decisions from management and the occasional oddity. Blocking the ability to stream the game or use the screenshot feature is also something that I can completely understand detracting from someone's experience with the game at launch, if they want to save their favourite moments or share them with their friends.

Sure it may be a bit nitpicky in comparison to other games, but whether one agrees or disagrees with it, it's OP's thread and if that's how they feel about the game then they should be able to mention it as an example if they want to.

Avallon

yJ9otDZ.png

Mega64 made a video about this last year called "Play Date".

The easy solution for big games now is to wait for reviews and if the launch situation sucks, get it months later once it's patched and significantly cheaper.

It's why I haven't Day oned a game in a long time. I've got plently of stuff to play or watch. Can happily wait and get the not so fucked version at a cheaper price.

bounchfx

There are far far too many great games lately to play them all so for me this simply points out the ones I can feel comfortable passing on. Not interested in playing a half assed shipped game nor supporting that as a business practice. I'll spend my money elsewhere, on products that respect the customer's time and wallet.

Geg

Tbh most of the fixes for FFXV so far are to address things that players commonly cited as inadequate, unpolished, or unfun. I wouldn't say that's the same as it being incomplete.

(The one part of the game that actually feels incomplete to me is chapter 9 but as far as I know that hasn't been touched by patches)

Socivol

I don't agree that FFXV was unfinished or unpolished. What's there on Day 1 is a pretty awesome product. The things they are added, I'm unsure if they were supposed to be there Day 1 and it really does just seem like they are adding things that fans asked for versus SF V that is lacking basic features fighting games have had for eternity.

gogogow

I agree with OP. It's getting bad with some games. Definitely super dissapointed in ME:A. Mass Effect is my favourite new series last gen. So, will not buy ME:A until shit is fixed and for very cheap. Feels like it's made by a C Team.

So strange that some publishers/devs rather have their credibility destroyed than to delay it and release a fully functioning game.

But what's up with Persona 5? I have read the thread about the localisation, but what's the streaming issue?

Tain

people solely railing on OP for including Persona should probably move along

that said, the paragraph talking about Persona reads like OP would prefer a situation where a game has issues and a publisher stays quiet to a game having issues and a publisher releasing an update schedule.

I'd prefer releases without issues to releases with issues+info to releases with issues and no info. Info, however, should be expected and not praiseworthy. This seems obvious.

SOLDIER

There are far far too many great games lately to play them all so for me this simply points out the ones I can feel comfortable passing on. Not interested in playing a half assed shipped game nor supporting that as a business practice. I'll spend my money elsewhere, on products that respect the customer's time and wallet.

So what happens when it's a game you really, really wanted? Like literally counting the days, you need to have it NOW?

The people who toss in this defense are pretty much saying "Don't be excited for anything".

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I realize this is a trend in console gaming now, but this is more just that the downsides of PC gaming come along with the upsides of PC gaming as consoles turn into PCs.

Like the good end of this is you can get amazing service updates that make a great game even better. The downside is that you can also ship a largely broken or very troubled product and patch your way to launch quality.

The upside is that these patches tend to come faster these days, and you don't have to wait in line at FilePlanet to get them. A lot of developers will also try to go the extra mile after fixing the game to make it better than it would have been if they just delayed an extra month or two.

My recommendation would be not buying games at launch and enjoying the best versions for much cheaper 6 or so months later.

Agreed. I remember looking forward to PC gaming magazines that came with free floppies or CDs that had not only new demos, but also patches.

Some games had some serious gamebreaking issues at launch as well. Fallout 2 comes to mind - it wasn't too bad to go hunt for a patch in the late 90s though since it was easier to go on the internet by then.

MUnited83

For you.
It's disgusting, absolutely the worst aspect of modern day gaming. In the "good old days" you had to ship a working, functional, and complete game since pubs didn't have the option of patches, dlc, adding missing content, etc. This shit needs to stop ASAP. Just delay the game rather than release it half finished.
That wasn't true in the good old days either. Many old games are still stuck with several game breaking glitches. Many old games shipped completely broken and unplayable, and had to be recalled.

Patching in general is an issue this generation. Nothing is more off-putting than bringing home a new game only to sit through a 12GB patch that includes half of the games content.

Hell, I picked up RB6: Siege to play with some friends on Xbox last night and 13GB were on the disc, 22GB worth of updates needed to be installed. I understand there's additional content that's been added but almost double the initial games size? That's insane.

PSqueak

Banned
Wait, isn't the persona streaming thing an intentional design, not a flaw, to avoid people getting spoiled as long as humanly possible?

PSqueak

Banned
No, it's very dumb.

I mean, yes, it's a dumb thing, but what i mean, P5 not allowing you to stream with the PS4 native tool is not a bug, it's not a half finished feature, not a flaw nor "unpolished", it's an absurd but very intentional design choice.

I don't think there is malicious intent behind this trend. Shipping unfinished product and patching it up later is a terrible business practice - considering that first impressions and sales are often the most important. But sure, sometimes for one reason or another it can't be helped - see No Man's Sky or Mass Effect: Andromeda.
The way I see it, there is a trend of supporting failed product post-launch, and it could actually be considered as something positive. Ubisoft seems to be headliner in that case - with its continuous support of Rainbow Six Siege, The Division, or For Honor/Watch Dogs 2 lately.

SOLDIER

I mean, yes, it's a dumb thing, but what i mean, P5 not allowing you to stream with the PS4 native tool is not a bug, it's not a half finished feature, not a flaw nor "unpolished", it's an absurd but very intentional design choice.

Mass Effect: Andromeda's awful character faces weren't a bug either.

It's still yet another thing that they have to go back and fix, because it wasn't a problem until the internet mocked them for it.

The P5 no-streaming thing is also scummy for a similar reason, because people are now being spoiled by Twitter bots (happened to a buddy of mine yesterday in fact) and other retaliatory measures.

Wozman23

It's as if the concept of early access is bleeding over into regular releases.

I've never wanted to buy a game in early access. If I'm already interested in a game, I don't want to play a alpha/beta build. I'd rather wait to get the fully realized version.

I'm never okay with an unpolished, buggy game, but I don't mind some situations where they later patch in features.

Rock Band 4 is a notable example, albeit a bit odd with its release. Harmonix gathered data on what people wanted in the game, and multiplayer wasn't as important. Seeing as how they were dealing with a limited budget, a niche genre, and a smaller dev team, they didn't include it. Eventually through the $30 Rivals expansion, multiplayer was introduced.

In cases with smaller developers or indie games, I'm more lenient. In the case of a big budget AAA game that's been in development for 2+ years, stuff like this is inexcusable.

kunonabi

I mean if a developer has trouble getting a competent, worthwhile product out on release then they shouldn't be too surprised if I have trouble getting 60$ out of my wallet at release.

Top Bottom