• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF 2017 |OT| Playing Trauma Center in Space and Hollywood

Tiu Neo

Ultraman Geed 0 / Preview Special

Since I never watched anything Zero, but this was pretty important to know the character a bit better. People who don't know much about the Ultras should start here for sure. This also explains a lot about older Ultras.

I... recognize that Ultra Seven theme. I think I may have watched an old VHS or something like that back when I was little. My father loved Ultraman and National Kid, so it's possible I watched it back then, heh. I'll probably show Geed and Orb to him, I think he'll probably like them.

Ultraman Geed 1

Hm. I like how it's a lot more direct with the origin story than Orb. Orb was quite confusing at that for a newcomer, and we never got the Origin Story series subbed...

This... has a lot in common with Orb. The Ultramen combination gimmick and the villain that shares power with the hero, for example. However, the main characters feel completely different from Gai and Juggler. Well, gotta watch a few more episodes before judging them, I didn't know how to feel about Gai and Juggler after the first few episodes.

That fight was awesome. I love how creative they are with some of those, and even this one, that was just a common fight in the city, had a lot of great effects.

Strong first episode. It didn't show much of the side characters, but having so much backstory at the first episode was good, and the action was cool.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm getting thirsty for some Build scans, we should be getting some soon right? Remember toys for Ghost was around this time.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ex-Aid 38

Damn... I wonder if they'll have the balls to stick with that in the ending. Poor Hiiro.

And next week looks insane too, though it might be a fake out of some kind.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I just finished watching seasons two of Amazons and I am confused about something.

I thought that Chihiro ate his mother but yet at the same time he didn't as she got turned into an Amazon...did I miss something there?

Also it's kinda lame that they cut away the final battle between Jin, Haruka and Chiihiro, also the ending seems to hint that there might be a season 3.

Tiu Neo

Do I need to watch previous Ultraman series or is each installment self-contained?

Orb (and Geed) are Gokaiger/Decade-like seasons. They are the first ones I watched in 20 years, and I'm not lost at all. Maybe start with Geed, that has the episode 0 which explains a bit about the Ultra's story.

So I just finished watching seasons two of Amazons and I am confused about something.

I thought that Chihiro ate his mother but yet at the same time he didn't as she got turned into an Amazon...did I miss something there?

Also it's kinda lame that they cut away the final battle between Jin, Haruka and Chiihiro, also the ending seems to hint that there might be a season 3.

As I understood, she regenerated and turned into an Amazon after that.

I thought that Chihiro ate his mother but yet at the same time he didn't as she got turned into an Amazon...did I miss something there?.

She can turn invisible, and can likely regenerate like the clappers. Faked her own death and managed to run off. Also its unlikely Chihiro ate his mother, as she was part-Amazon. He only feels hunger towards humans, remember? I just think it was a 4C raid that injured Nanaha, made Chihiro believe it was him that ate her as he might have went berserk during the raid, and she snuck off while they captured him.

Tiu Neo

Wait, with the timeslot change, is Golfgom no more, from October on?

Kyuranger 21

Well, that's it for Scorpio. I'm glad they didn't make Scorpio being evil just part of his plan or something like that, it was way better this way.

Ok, I like KyuFire. Not only he's a badass, funny and weird here, he has a great insert song, and has name of a Changeman, the weapon of a Changeman, and even the animal theme of a Changeman and a mecha that's a shuttle! Also, apparently he'll work alone for now, which I kinda like on extra warriors. Not bad for Kyuranger's third sixth warrior, heh. His catchphrase is a lot less annoying than Lucky's too... at least for now.

And with that, this arc ends (very well). Can't wait to see what Jark Matter will do now to up their game.

Ex-Aid 38

This... was a pretty good episode. It's cool the doctor theme was used this way in the series.

And Cronos is totally playing this as a pay to win game. Kuroto needs to learn that too, after how many lives he lost this episode.

Masamune is a bastard, hope Genmdeus doesn't wipe him too soon, if he ever does that. The only way he could be even more evil is if he restored Saki before wiping her out. I wonder if the series will keep her dead for good.

BatDan

Kyuranger 21

Whoa, Tsurugi/Houou Solider is so good. I imagine he'll job soon but damn what an introduction.
Interesting that the Argo itself was pointless, nothing more than a hiding place for him.

Another week off though? Jeez. Feels like Kyuranger might be shorter than usual. With that and the time slot change... nah I'm thinking too negative.

Ninja Steel's not going to be at San Diego Comic Con this year....that doesn't sound good at all. They'll still have a panel discussing this year's toys though.

https://www.powerrangersnow.com/power-rangers-panels-san-diego-comic-con-2017/

That's worrying. Perhaps Ninja Steel is doing really bad. I guess having a sloppy show with lame toys will do that.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Kyuranger 21;

For me the episode felt a little jarring as Scorpio arc ended very early in the episode with rest of the episode introducing the Phoenix ranger.

Not bad per say I would have preferred if both characters had their own breathing spaces.

Ex-Aid 38;

Man Hiiro has it rough not only did he have to endure watching his girlfriend die the first time but he had to go through it the second time. :(

I really hope that Hiiro gets a happy end at the end of Ex-aid out of all the characters he deserve it the most.

Also next week episode looks to be interesting and the end of Parad.

She can turn invisible, and can likely regenerate like the clappers. Faked her own death and managed to run off. Also its unlikely Chihiro ate his mother, as she was part-Amazon. He only feels hunger towards humans, remember? I just think it was a 4C raid that injured Nanaha, made Chihiro believe it was him that ate her as he might have went berserk during the raid, and she snuck off while they captured him.

I see, I guess I must have glossed over that part.

Tiu Neo

Interesting that the Argo itself was pointless, nothing more than a hiding place for him.

I love that. I was kinda expecting something like just a mid-season mecha upgrade or something like that.

Of course, they'll still make new toys, but this is just like the 2000s sixths, in almost everything.

jwk94

That's worrying. Perhaps Ninja Steel is doing really bad. I guess having a sloppy show with lame toys will do that.
Really wouldn't surprise me. PR has been bad for a while, but there's something about this one that's particularly awful.

javadoze

Kyuranger 20-21

"YOSHA LUCKY"s these two episodes: 0
"YOSHA LUCKY"s overall: 228

Holy crap.

Two episodes in a row without a "Yosha Lucky!".

What has this world come to?

-Kotaro's been great. Despite only just returning I thought the crowd scene and him getting the antidote to Stinger (getting beat up in the process) were strong showings for his character. I feared they'd just treat him as the audience surrogate, or even worse, a non-character who does nothing interesting, and I'm happy to see that's not the case.

-Glad to see Scorpio's human form make a comeback for his last scene.
The spirit of the MelonBowl lives on.

-Phoenix Soldier's debut was... odd. He laid waste to everything in sight, but it feels more like something that should've been saved for next episode (as this was the end of the Scorpio arc of sorts).

Ex-Aid 38

-Pretty emotionally satisfying episode, and they even gave attention to the doctor stuff!

-Cronus has both the power of time... and money. A funny way to still give him a leg up on the other characters.

-I don't know why, but Dan throwing a barrel at Cronus was the funniest thing ever to me.

-The end was expected, but executed quite well. I liked that they didn't really offer any other out for the decision Hiro makes.

-
I feel Emu's at his best when dealing with Pallad and being Genius Gamer M, so I'm actually interested to see how next episode turns out.

BatDan

Really wouldn't surprise me. PR has been bad for a while, but there's something about this one that's particularly awful.

I'm astonished it has defenders. I'm guessing if I looked at forums in 2007 when Operation Overdrive was airing I'd find people defending that.

The writing is really childish even by PR standards, with morals that just don't work.
They're not really taking advantage of the whole "galactic game show" concept.
Red has a missing dad... again.
The monsters grow with a space laser... for the fourth year in a row.
VIctor & Monty are the worst. I'm still convinced Victor is an undercover agent posing as a high school student, he is way too old looking (I know Dawson Casting and all but it was never this bad)
Why are there so many fart jokes? This feels like Nickelodoen interferring.

The whole show feels really poorly put together. Like they have no idea what they're doing, I imagine the hodge podge Zords really didn't help.

Slayven

I'm astonished it has defenders. I'm guessing if I looked at forums in 2007 when Operation Overdrive was airing I'd find people defending that.

The writing is really childish even by PR standards, with morals that just don't work.
VIctor & Monty are the worst. I'm still convinced Victor is an undercover agent posing as a high school student, he is way too old looking (I know Dawson Casting and all but it was never this bad)

The whole show feels really poorly put together. Like they have no idea what they're doing, I imagine the hodge podge Zords really didn't help.

The writing is childish for Nick Jr standards, Spongebob has more depth

jwk94

Agreed with everything you said.

The writing is childish for Nick Jr standards, Spongebob has more depth

This is the weirdest part. Even The Loud House has better writing than Ninja Steel. I think the problem might be the PR writers.

Pluto

I'll defend it right now, the Mack is an android story was good and rewatching the series hints about his true identity are there right ffrom the start. I also liked Spencer.
Other than that it was bad but at least I can see that they tried to tell an ambitious story, they just failed spectacularly.

Since Saban got the show back it has sucked by design for the most part. Samurai to Super Megaforce was intentionally dumbed down, the writing, the bland characters and the direction the cast received were all awful.
Dino Charge was actually good but someone at either Saban or ynickelodeon mist have thought "Fun characters with lersonalities that interact in a believable way and episodes having plots that are interesting and make sense? That's not our PR" and Dino Supercharge became worse (although the characters still being themselves saved it somewhat).
With Ninja Steel we're back in PR is awful territory, boring characters, dumb plots and a general feel of "Is it over yet?" and it's only been 8 episodes, 32 more to go. :(

BatDan

Operation Overdrive isn't completely indefensible, it has some good parts. I mean when the show aired and the problems were evident, I imagine there were people that tried to defend them. Tried to defend Dax acting like an asshat and the overabundance of explosions.

Dino Charge felt like a fluke.
People are still suspecting it's Becca Barnes and Alwyn Dale being a big reason for the show's sudden plunge after that. I know Barnes worked on a couple episodes of the first season, but she's a lot more prevalent through Super Charge and Ninja Steel.

One Ninja Steel episode has an interesting lesson for kids: oi, stop looking at your newfangled technology and relying on it, because it's cheating and isn't fair on others who want to do it legitimately". But as usual the writers just lack the ability to properly execute this moral lesson without it descending into laughable, ham-fisted territory. Yes, wotsyourface, I'm surprised it took that long for someone to notice you loudly talking into your beeping wrist device for answers. It's as inconspicuous as a Kalishplosion. And while we're here, what sort of a test is this? It's probably the same curriculum as what is offered in the Megaforce high school where everyone is eight years below what their academic level should be.

And there's the fact that you're trying to teach kids about how to play fair when your show is ultimately about five or six dudes in multicoloured outfits ganging up on one poor guy in a rock quarry, shanking them to death while cracking terrible puns in the meantime.

My only recent exposure to Operation Overdrive was through the Twitch marathon a few months ago and I have to echo the praises of the Mack android story. It doesn't completely redeem the show for its litany of other failings, but Mack's startling revelation, the contemplation that his memories were faked, the resulting fractured relationship with his father and the sudden acceptance of himself as a disposable machine who could be replaced all come together to make this a late arc exploring some crucial themes you would normally find in cyberpunk fiction. Questions of identity, self, purpose and humanity. Unless it's a PR show directly lifting things from its Sentai counterpart, Neo Saban would hardly deign to treat its current show with anything remotely sophisticated. Badly handled moral lessons while talking down to the kids it is.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Seems there's an Ultraman catalog floating around, so Build should be soon?

MfYf4ea.jpg

Seen this mock-up floating around, seems while Ex-Aid was all about those eyes this time it's all about those lips. Succulent, juicy lips.

Oh, and the rumor I've read is Build's gimmick apparently involves mixing an animal motif with that of a power tool?

Pluto

Operation Overdrive isn't completely indefensible, it has some good parts. I mean when the show aired and the problems were evident, I imagine there were people that tried to defend them. Tried to defend Dax acting like an asshat and the overabundance of explosions.
I remember people loving Spencer and the Mack story and being fine with Rose and Ronnie (who were bland but not offensive) but defending Dax? Maybe it happened but I only remember people being annoyed by him right from the start. Andrew had creepy vibes and people picked up on that (which gave rise to the mack was built as a sex toy theory after the android reveal) and the explosions? I only remember arguments who was to blame, Kalish as the showrunner, Koichi as the action director or Disney.

One Ninja Steel episode has an interesting lesson for kids: oi, stop looking at your newfangled technology and relying on it, because it's cheating and isn't fair on others who want to do it legitimately".
I only remember Victor stealing that thing as if "gadget that gives you information" is a big deal, it's like the writers forgot smartphones and the internet exist.

Top Bottom