• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2017 - Toot toot, Cold Steel Warrior, shaka brah

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulSane

Bamco is putting a lot of faith in this game. Think it would sell with this pricing?
G3jPiG0.jpg

Well, they ARE clearly putting more faith into this franchise than in others - i bought Berseria and God Eater for half that price on launch. I think this is the first game from Bamco that is "full" price in Russia - almost all AAA games cost 1999p on Steam here, and not a ruble more.

zkylon

zkylewd
aXwws7Z.png

so uh, tacoma

that was it?

i feel like the setting and how the story develops (and i guess long development cycle, but that's no fault ofthe game) hinted at a fairly larger story while this was something i'm still able to refund? like i'm real slow at videogamees, i've spent a while playing pool and darts in this game, listening to every audiolog, reading the back of books' covers and going back and forth cos i kept forgetting the keypad codes. i didn't rush this game, yet it only took me 2 hours to beat it

short isn't really bad in itself but i feel like this game stops short of actually developing its themes and characters, who i think would be really compelling if they were given a chance to go beyond a taste

this somehow feels like a smaller game than gone home which is weird cos i don't really feel that what it lost in breadth it gained in depth? or maybe i'm missing something, idk, i got achievements for getting all the audiologs but there's a bunch of secret achievements i haven't gotten so maybe there's some hidden stuff to look for

but also i don't feel this game made me want to look for secrets, really. unlike gone home where sam and her family get a lot of development and details and you got to know their jobs, frustrations, and even the story of the house and such, here there's details like those about everoyne, but they're more scarce and not as interesting. and since this is a spaceship instead of a suburban house, i don't really know where to look, or i don't find it cool when there's a hidden door or something out of place or whatever. environmental storytelling doesn't work nearly as well because most of this spaceship is like pipes and metal and screens and corridors and shit

and i want to know more about this universe for sure, but i'm still not super into it the way i was with gone home. at times it reminded me of analogue: a hate story, or managed to make me feel real uncomfortable for occupying the same space as one of those memory ai ghosts as they backed into me, or whatever, but i don't think it got nowhere near as emotionally compelling as either of those games

overall i find tacoma to be pretty disappointing, it's not really bad but i expected more, the time control mechanic thing is interesting, but only so far, and while i don't necessarily expected a step up from gone home, i really wasn't expecting a step down. gone home moved the genre forward, this feels like the prototype that came before gone home or something

boo

cyba89

The Artifact thread is incredibly embarrassing. I feel for the team working on the game having to read all these reactions.

I suspect this is more a calculated money-making project instead of a passion project with a bigger vision so I don't know why you should feel bad for them. In the end this will make lots of money for them so they will be fine.
And believe me they totally expected these reactions. They're not dumb.

And you have to admit it's pretty lame for Valve, a company that once was a big innovator in the gaming sector, to just chase after what works for Blizzard now.

Wok

It's pretty lame for Valve, a company that once was a big innovator in the gaming sector, to just chase after what works for Blizzard now.

There is a market for CCG. Why would anyone leave a monopoly to Blizzard?

Even CD Projekt RED is doing it. That does not mean they cannot innovate with another IP at the same time.

n4sfEzr.png

And what Valve is doing looks innovative, I think Artifact won't be more similar to Hearthstone than Gwent is.

• There are three game boards that represent the lanes
  • You control 5 heroes, just like DotA
  • You can equip item cards on to the Heroes that you buy with gold
  • There are creeps that spawn every turn
  • You can play creature cards
  • Some cards are cast on the lane and have persistent effects on that lane
  • Each Hero has abilities like their DotA counterparts ("You can cast track on a Hero as Bounty Hunter and get extra Gold")

Well, they ARE clearly putting more faith into this franchise than in others - i bought Berseria and God Eater for half that price on launch. I think this is the first game from Bamco that is "full" price in Russia - almost all AAA games cost 1999p on Steam here, and not a ruble more.

Yeah, it's AAA (regional) pricing as well here in Indonesia. It' exactly the same as AC Origins, for example. Though these days, lots of AAA games are way higher than this. Like actually $60 converted to Rupiah. At least this is still $51 ish. Ubisoft and Bethesda are like the only big publishers left that's still giving regional pricing on Steam.

Hektor

Even CD Projekt is doing it. That does not mean they cannot innovate with another IP at the same time.

Between hearthstone, magic duels, Faeria, eternal, shadowverse, Gwent, elder scrolls legend and shardbound

That's far from being a monopoly.

As someone who got tired by hearthstones dominating RNG elements and blizzards shit-tier approach to balancing I welcome artifact.

I trust valve to deliver something more complex and unique

Anyone in Steam thread that plays Hellblade?

Finished the first boss yesterday

Between hearthstone, magic duels, Faeria, eternal, shadowverse, Gwent, elder scrolls legend and shardbound

As someone who got tired by hearthstones dominating RNG elements and blizzards shit-tier approach to balancing I welcome artifact.

I trust valve to deliver something more complex and unique

Finished the first boss yesterday
How was the game?

cyba89

Even CD Projekt RED is doing it. That does not mean they cannot innovate with another IP at the same time.

Of course I understand the business decision but I can still find it predictable and disappointing at the same time.

Wok

We need stats about the number of players. Hearthstone has to be completely dominating the CCG market.

Arminsc

All these trash CCG video games, and we still don't have a Netrunner or Arkham Horror card game for PC. Tragic really, I'd love to go insane and die to gibbering cultists with you lot.

I'd really like a good implementation of the Vampire card game. I played a bit with friends long ago and I found that game super interesting.

Hektor

How was the game?

Combat is shallow button mashing but feels good.

Game is beautiful but the environment not particularly interesting to look at.

The puzzles suck and screw the pacing.

Presentation is ace.

Story is intriguing but the writing pretty emo. Not edgy like dmc, just emo.

Binaural audio design is amazing with headphones.

Audiologs suck.

Performance is great.

It's also going a lot into Norse mythology which I enjoy.

Id say the game is both flawed and intriguing. What ive seen so far is good but far from "essential" or "important" and im pretty sure there are going to be a lot who aren't going to like it.

Uzzy

I'd really like a good implementation of the Vampire card game. I played a bit with friends long ago and I found that game super interesting.

Vampire: the Eternal Struggle? That'd be neat, it's one I've always wanted to play but never found the chance to. Big WoD fan here.

I'd also love to see Legend of the Five Rings get a good implementation too.

Arminsc

Vampire: the Eternal Struggle? That'd be neat, it's one I've always wanted to play but never found the chance to. Big WoD fan here.

I'd also love to see Legend of the Five Rings get a good implementation too.

Yep, that one, I've not played a lot of it, but my friends do. It gets really intense and strategic, with a lot of planning ahead and even diplomacy between players. That's what I think makes it cool, but also hard to implement.

What I'd rather hear about when it comes to Hellblade, is how it handles the whole theme of anxiety and depression?

Also interested in this.

Wok

At first, I thought you were talking about VEmpire (Vampire/Empire):

VEmpire - The Kings of Darkness is a vampire themed digital deck-building game, inspired by one of history's most influential royal dynasties - the house of Habsburg.

Lain

Completed the first book of Shuyan Saga and I pretty much got everyone killed =(
Now to decide if I should proceed to book 2 or redo book 1.

DocSeuss

So uh...

1) Bulletstorm (original) still won't run. Click it, steam icon turns green, then goes back to the "not in game" blue.

2) followed a ton of random guides.

3) I can get into GFWL, update games, check profile, etc, all the normal GFWL stuff... in every other GFWL game I've tested (The Club, Dirt 3, Fable 3).

4) HOWEVER, I cannot sign into the Games for Windows Marketplace under my normal xbl account. I get error 80070005. Even when I tell it to forget my account, as soon as I type in my email, it autofills in my password.

5) I can sign in under... a completely different account. Works just fine. Goes right into the store and everything. Error 80070005 if I go with my normal XBL account, however.

6) I tried Bulletstorm on a different computer entirely. Same issue there.

7) I've tried doing it without GFWL, using those dummy XBL dlls, and nothing. Still refuses to launch. If I try to launch the exe in Steam, I get "application load error 5:0000065434."

Arminsc

At first, I thought you were talking about VEmpire (Vampire/Empire):

Well, that one also looks interesting actually, didn't know about it.
I like to see card games that are based on getting points instead of reducing your opponent's hp to 0, and I see they took some inspiration in Dominion, which I really enjoy!

Lain

Decided to take a stroll in the Evil Genome discussion board on Steam and saw this:

So Evil Genome or Sundred? Which is the better metrovania game?
I am currently playing a cracked version of E.G and i really like it. Controls are a lil clunky, but I will manage. But saw Sundred was just released. I'm just wondering which is the better new metrovania game to buy. Price isn't a issue.

to which the dev replied like this:

Thanks so much for your feedback. We are curious to know where do you find cracked version of E.G? If there is any one want to play our game for free,just contact me to request test key.

acerolahe@xy-game.com

Some people really are bold.

I thought Lost Technology would cost a lot more, but for 2,69€ I went ahead and grabbed it. I'd rather contribute to the sales in hope of a full translation.

Wok

I think what most people are missing about that new Artifact game is that it will most likely be a TCG game which uses the Steam Market. This is something I have not seen done in a long time: most F2P card games are CCG, but not TCG.

Scrolls had a Trading-Card feature, but the game was not F2P and was completely destroyed by the competition with Hearthstone. Valve can sustain a competition with Blizzard, money and marketing are not a problem.

Valve has already managed to make the only fair F2P MOBA game, without the awful system of "weekly hero rotation". I believe in Valve.

Ascheroth

Decided to take a stroll in the Evil Genome discussion board on Steam and saw this:

to which the dev replied like this:

Some people really are bold.
I always like when people complain about bugs or issues of a game on developer-visited forums and it turns out they don't even own the game. Bonus points if those bugs or issues are specifically caused by not owning the game.
Some people...

Tizoc

So uh...

1) Bulletstorm (original) still won't run. Click it, steam icon turns green, then goes back to the "not in game" blue.

2) followed a ton of random guides.

3) I can get into GFWL, update games, check profile, etc, all the normal GFWL stuff... in every other GFWL game I've tested (The Club, Dirt 3, Fable 3).

4) HOWEVER, I cannot sign into the Games for Windows Marketplace under my normal xbl account. I get error 80070005. Even when I tell it to forget my account, as soon as I type in my email, it autofills in my password.

5) I can sign in under... a completely different account. Works just fine. Goes right into the store and everything. Error 80070005 if I go with my normal XBL account, however.

6) I tried Bulletstorm on a different computer entirely. Same issue there.

7) I've tried doing it without GFWL, using those dummy XBL dlls, and nothing. Still refuses to launch. If I try to launch the exe in Steam, I get "application load error 5:0000065434."

When I last had it installed it ran fine for me via Origin :X

Bluth54

I think the big issue people have is the timing. There's nothing wrong with Valve doing a CCG but this is the first new game Valve's announced in years and it wasn't exactly what people were expecting. If Valve had announced one of the other games they're working on first and this than I don't think the reaction would be so negative.

Pixieking

Banned
I think the big issue people have is the timing. There's nothing wrong with Valve doing a CCG but this is the first new game Valve's announced in years and it wasn't exactly what people were expecting. If Valve had announced one of the other games they're working on first and this than I don't think the reaction would be so negative.

Customer expectations vs what a company wants to do. Gaming isn't the only industry this happens in, but it always seems to be nerdy or niche industries. :/

Lain

What do you mean full localization? I'm not familiar with this. Is there supposed to be DLC for this or is it not in English? Why is it so cheap?

The differences between the Japanese and English versions
This is a game has a large amount of story text for each playable faction. Ideally we would like to provide fully localized versions for each respective faction, however, the size and scale of the game meant that a full localization would be extremely difficult to provide all at once, and so only the three factions known as the Reinald Empire, Makan, and Álfheim are included in the English release.It is possible to start with any of the other playable factions, but story events will not occur and only the simulation part of the game may be played.

The Japanese version still contains the currently available free version, all of the basic functions without changes, and all factions are included in full right off the bat.
(Still, a mod function is removed from the build due to the copyright issue.)
However, it will be distributed as a paid title due to adjustments made specifically for Steam and the addition of trading cards, etc.
We currently plan to look carefully at how this title sells (including sales within Japan) and will proceed with the localization of the remaining factions in accordance with the sales numbers. The remaining factions are set to be distributed as additional DLC in the future. Please stay tuned for more news regarding further details.

With your support, we hope to provide players with Lost Technology in its full glory!

If enough sales, the rest of the factions will get translated.

Bluth54

Customer expectations vs what a company wants to do. Gaming isn't the only industry this happens in, but it always seems to be nerdy or niche industries. :/

I think when you get this sort of reaction from the hardcore fans at the unveiling of the product than you should probably take a look at what fans expect from you.
While I'm sure that the game will do well I don't think that sort of disappointment was what Valve expected for the unveiling of Artifacts.

pislit

I think the big issue people have is the timing.There's nothing wrong with Valve doing a CCG but this is the first new game Valve's announced in years and it wasn't exactly what people were expecting. If Valve had announced one of the other games they're working on first and this than I don't think the reaction would be so negative.

They announced a DOTA 2 card game in The International, a DOTA 2 tournament. Can't beat that timing.

Parsnip

Gah. Got to second place on pubg. Had to move to an open area because of the circle, and the other guy chucked a grenade toward me from behind a tree and that was that.

Bluth54

They announced a DOTA 2 card game in The International, a DOTA 2 tournament. Can't beat that timing.

Yeah it's the most logical time to announce the game, it just has more to do with the fact Valve hasn't announced anything else in years.

Arminsc

Gah. Got to second place on pubg. Had to move to an open area because of the circle, and the other guy chucked a grenade toward me from behind a tree and that was that.

I got to 3rd a couple of days ago and that was probably the most tense I've been playing a game. Was forced to go into an open area by the circle and got in the middle of the other 2 remaining players.

L.O.R.D

$80 for regular edition and $120 for the complete game?
WTF BAMCO?

most the people in the gulf game on console,why they priced it too high?
even bethesda lowered Doom and Fallout4 from $80 to $53 after they they release it and found no one is buying their games in that shit of a price.

Pixieking

Banned
I think when you get this sort of reaction from the hardcore fans at the unveiling of the product than you should probably take a look at what fans expect from you.
While I'm sure that the game will do well I don't think that sort of disappointment was what Valve expected for the unveiling of Artifacts.

I don't think fan expectation is something any company should involve themselves in to any real degree. And I emphasize that because I think most companies should take note of what fans/consumers want/expect, but they shouldn't let that determine what to produce or when.

An exception would be porting products, since the fan expectation is for something that already exists, not for some unicorn of a game.

If enough sales, the rest of the factions will get translated.

I've got most of the cost of this in my Steam Wallet, so will buy it. It definitely looks interesting.

Tizoc

$80 for regular edition and $120 for the complete game?
WTF BAMCO?

most the people in the gulf game on console,why they priced it too high?
even bethesda lowered Doom and Fallout4 from $80 to $53 after they they release it and found no one is buying their games in that shit of a price.

Dang this is why I fear the day my country gets regional pricing ToT

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Oh, yeah, I wasn't debating the wider pricing point, just the UK price. 50 quid isn't unheard of for a digital release, and it's actually the norm for a console game.

Can't remember the last time I paid more than £30 for a new release

DocSeuss

Funny enough, that's what I'm doing right now.

update: origin runs into an issue with a date check

according to steam forums, if this happens, I should get the patches from pcgaming wiki and try to install them

cool, did that, followed the directions to the letter.

game... won't boot at all.

tried removing xbox live using the phony dlls again. nope, just crashes the game.

wtf.

Bulletstorm won't run across two platforms.

wtf wtf wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom