• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

ChrisD

Dang, this is like, the perfect weapon set for Salmon Run. At first I thought Mini being Heavy would be better, but nah. This is a top-tier load out.

Doorman

Alright so earlier I was talking about the Clash Blaster and how fun it is despite its poor inking capabilities. Well now I'm finally back with a bit more visual proof to discuss what I was talking about with what it does and how it could be improved without being broken.

So, the Clash fires with the same kind of cadence as the Rapid Blaster in the sense that a new projectile launches at basically the same time that the previous one pops, the difference being that Clash shots pop much earlier and thus the weapon has the fastest pure firing rate of any blaster in the game. Typically, rapid-fire weapons have a tendency to ink pretty well, but...the developers compensated for how fast the Clash fires and how little aim you need to rack up damage and kills by absolutely tanking the way ink spreads on it. All blasters leave a "trail" behind of ink that drips off of the explosive round as it travels through the air, and this leads to the creation of a line that expands a bit around the actual explosion. Clash blaster shots have a much lower "drip-rate" than any other blaster, though, so rather than a line on the ground you only get a couple of sparse ink-spots.

DHYxD6JUAAEUEQZ.jpg

There's one shot from each of the game's available blasters so far. Clash gives you basically three drops instead of a full line So the amount of points-per-shot with the Clash is downright pitiful. It doesn't even create any immediate ink around your feet like other blasters do, which makes mobility and escape actually harder for Clash than other blasters. You can say that this is made up for by its vastly improved fire rate, but...not quite.

This range photo shows the ink spread from 1 Clash shot, then 2 Clash shots, then 3 Clash shots all aimed at the same spot while stationary. The final shot you see there is a single vanilla Blaster shot. What you can notice from this progression, particularly from the 2-shot example, is the fact that the placement of the ink-drips off of the projectile itself are somewhat standardized, with each shot just building on the drip-size of the previous shot until it eventually forms a more coherent line 3 shots deep. So even with the faster fire rate, it still takes waiting for at least two shots before you can even form any sort of swimming lane-worthy ink trail, and even then it's a trail just slightly better than a Luna trail in length and maybe comparable to a single Rapid Blaster trail in width.This also means that trying to swing around shooter-style to cover turf still leaves a lot of little pot-holes around unless your personal placement and movement is extremely specific. My suggestion would be for them to adjust the way ink trails off of the blaster to alternate between two trail-types for each shot, rather than the droplets doubling up like they do now. It wouldn't change the weapon's actual combat prowess at all (still a 2-direct 4-indirect weapon, which is perfectly fine) but would help to normalize its inking to be more in-line with the way other blasters currently operate and would make the weapon way more valuable in turf war than it currently is.

Kicko

I wonder if the reason why Nintendo has been so slow when it comes to updates is because they plan on releasing a patch as well. I'm surprised they haven't introduced a new stage yet.

Question: can a friend play in the same online game if I am on B rank and they are on C? It's gonna take a while before they can catch up to me

I don't understand how people are struggling with splatling load outs in salmon run like what.
Admittedly, I struggled with it in the beginning. But I enjoy using it now, it's one of the best feelings just charging into a group of salmonids with a full charge.

My problem lies with the chargers, great weapon... as long as it's not in my hands. Good golly I suck with it. I feel like such a liability at high tide when I'm in possession of it.

Ogodei

A- on Rainmaker, B+ on Tower Control and doing better than i did in Rainmaker on B+ (so maybe it'll skip me to solid A? I leapt from B- to B+ in two modes), and B in Splat Zones.

So now Splat Zones is my worst, whereas it used to be my best.

I'm much better at short-range firefights in this game than i was in the last one. But you kind of need to be, it's much harder to "cheese" this game (that is, fool your enemy through unconventional thinking rather than beating them through skill. A lot of my better moments in Splatoon 1 came from outside-the-box thinking rather than exemplary performance, but that hasn't really happened here).

Estoc

Finally managed to shoot down 3 Flyfishes with one Sting Ray, feel good.

Though, without GAF, I would have never found that out, I tried using jet pack and punch special on it, seeing as they were both ineffective, I just assumed good old basketball shooting is all we can do against that.

I wonder if that's why people tend to neglect to use special in Salmon Run.

Ogodei

Y'all keep this on the down-low, but the L-3 Nozzlenose is fucking good.

I feel like it's a weapon that could be really ace if you were willing to put in the work with it, psychologically it's easier to go with a high-impact short range weapon like the N-Zap that doesn't require you to click the trigger once per round.

Col.Asher

How does someone with the roller suck in the goldie rush? All you have to do is hold the roller down and the chum explode on contact. Even the goldies can't hit you.

MGrant

I feel like it's a weapon that could be really ace if you were willing to put in the work with it, psychologically it's easier to go with a high-impact short range weapon like the N-Zap that doesn't require you to click the trigger once per round.

I can see how that would put people off, but really the fire rate is fine as long as you're using it to defend flanks and push into unprotected paint rather than fight on the frontlines.

Like, to get the weaknesses out of the way, it can't deal with chargers or dualies too well, it's not the best at flanking, and it requires good aim. But other than that, the thing is downright oppressive vs. the most popular painting weapons right now (aerospray, tri-slosher, rollers), who have a hard time approaching it because it comfortably outranges them. And it's a 1-3 shot kill. But yeah, if an enemy Sploosh-o-matic, brush, or Dapple Dualies end up next to you, you're done.

It's got accuracy as good and range nearly as good as the Jet-Squelcher, but it can actually paint. And if your team manages to push up, it's a steamrolling tool, because the pressure of curling bombs and ballers coming into your territory is hard to deal with. I've been running it with 3 main Special Charge abilities today and I've been cleaning up over 1100 points several times in Turf War. Maybe folks just aren't used to it yet, but I like the thing a lot.

13ruce

Banned
I wonder when new stages and music come. I kinda want more turf war music it's only a single band right now:/ and 2 more stages can't hurt.

A new Salmon Run stage would be ace too.

Nelo Ice

Banned
God damn I love close games of rainmaker. I swear in A rank it's usually pretty hard to score so you end up playing for closest distance. Just won a game 56-57 and both our teams got our distance made in the opening minute. Luckily my teammate moved just 1 point closer otherwise we were at a stalemate trying to break through each other's defense.

MGrant

God damn I love close games of rainmaker. I swear in A rank it's usually pretty hard to score so you end up playing for closest distance. Just won a game 56-57 and both our teams got our distance made in the opening minute. Luckily my teammate moved just 1 point closer otherwise we were at a stalemate trying to break through each other's defense.

I'm still only C+ (haven't put in enough time to figure out the best routes) but I love close games of Rainmaker, too. At this level, though, most games end in a minute or less. Can't wait to rank up.

Alright so earlier I was talking about the Clash Blaster and how fun it is despite its poor inking capabilities. Well now I'm finally back with a bit more visual proof to discuss what I was talking about with what it does and how it could be improved without being broken.

So, the Clash fires with the same kind of cadence as the Rapid Blaster in the sense that a new projectile launches at basically the same time that the previous one pops, the difference being that Clash shots pop much earlier and thus the weapon has the fastest pure firing rate of any blaster in the game. Typically, rapid-fire weapons have a tendency to ink pretty well, but...the developers compensated for how fast the Clash fires and how little aim you need to rack up damage and kills by absolutely tanking the way ink spreads on it. All blasters leave a "trail" behind of ink that drips off of the explosive round as it travels through the air, and this leads to the creation of a line that expands a bit around the actual explosion. Clash blaster shots have a much lower "drip-rate" than any other blaster, though, so rather than a line on the ground you only get a couple of sparse ink-spots.

There's one shot from each of the game's available blasters so far. Clash gives you basically three drops instead of a full line So the amount of points-per-shot with the Clash is downright pitiful. It doesn't even create any immediate ink around your feet like other blasters do, which makes mobility and escape actually harder for Clash than other blasters. You can say that this is made up for by its vastly improved fire rate, but...not quite.

This range photo shows the ink spread from 1 Clash shot, then 2 Clash shots, then 3 Clash shots all aimed at the same spot while stationary. The final shot you see there is a single vanilla Blaster shot. What you can notice from this progression, particularly from the 2-shot example, is the fact that the placement of the ink-drips off of the projectile itself are somewhat standardized, with each shot just building on the drip-size of the previous shot until it eventually forms a more coherent line 3 shots deep. So even with the faster fire rate, it still takes waiting for at least two shots before you can even form any sort of swimming lane-worthy ink trail, and even then it's a trail just slightly better than a Luna trail in length and maybe comparable to a single Rapid Blaster trail in width.This also means that trying to swing around shooter-style to cover turf still leaves a lot of little pot-holes around unless your personal placement and movement is extremely specific. My suggestion would be for them to adjust the way ink trails off of the blaster to alternate between two trail-types for each shot, rather than the droplets doubling up like they do now. It wouldn't change the weapon's actual combat prowess at all (still a 2-direct 4-indirect weapon, which is perfectly fine) but would help to normalize its inking to be more in-line with the way other blasters currently operate and would make the weapon way more valuable in turf war than it currently is.
I was using the Clash Blaster yesterday and noticed this. Tried to do 1 shot then swim through what ink there was but noticed there were some small, but noticeable spots un-inked. Not that big of a deal, but it's kind of the principle: Why shouldn't the Clash Blaster be able to do it as well? Especially regarding what you brought up with how other Blaster type weapons leave a solid trail before the explosion. As far as I'm concerned the only Blaster that's really worth a damn, is the Rapid Blaster, and even then its kit is sorta questionable imo.

Branduil

Much more useful than any roller.

No way. You can just insta-kill any small fry by walking over them with the roller, and it makes it extremely easy to clear paths back to your egg basket.

Meanwhile, a splatling is fucked the second they ever get surrounded or something unexpected happens.

Jims

How is everyone doing on Ability Chunks so far?

I looked at my list today and was surprised the most I've collected for a given category, even after a month of play, is 21 chunks. Have 21 Ink Saver Sub chunks and 16 Special Charge Up chunks. Everything else is 10 or fewer.

Getting mixed results with the drinks. Was able to get two natural triples with the Ink Saver Sub drink (Fugu Tee and that pink knitted cap) but nothing for the Ink Recovery, Run Speed, or Swim Speed Up drinks. Did anyone ever figure out how the drinks affect branded and non-branded gear stats-wise? I feel like I've been seeing better results on non-branded stuff. More Swim Speeds where they are unexpected, but feels about the same where I would expect them.

Pearl: So, "port." That's just a fancy name for sausage, right?"

Marina: Pearl, I think you're thinking of "pork."

Lol this game.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm still only C+ (haven't put in enough time to figure out the best routes) but I love close games of Rainmaker, too. At this level, though, most games end in a minute or less. Can't wait to rank up.

Yeah and it's hard as hell to rank up lol. Went on a 6 game losing streak after that game until just now. I ended up getting the shortest distance, stopping the opponent 2 points short, and icing the the game with the final kill for OT lol.

Dierce

I'm on a 9 match losing streak on fucking turf war. This game is fucking unbelievable sometimes. I'm always facing against the same high ranking players. Did everyone in this game suddenly get really good except for me?

EDIT: 11 game losing streak. How is this even statistically possible?

Never ask why your teammates are so bad. You'll give yourself ulcers.

I'm on a 9 match losing streak on fucking turf war. This game is fucking unbelievable sometimes. I'm always facing against the same high ranking players. Did everyone in this game suddenly get really good except for me?

Trust me, the vast majority of teammates are incredibly bad. We are probably the minority playing the objective. Lol

MGrant

Inspired by Doorman's post above (thanks for the idea) and my crusade to get people to try out the L-3 Nozzlenose, I did some testing in the lab. I compared the range and paint coverage of the L-3 to 3 other "back-line," mid-long-range, fast-firing weapons that in my opinion are the most viable. I used a number of shots that take approximately the same time to complete. Here are the results:

splatnozzle2rzqd.png

You can see that in two trigger squeezes, the L-3 Nozzlenose has 80% of the range and better paint coverage compared to the Jet Squelcher. It has practically the same range as the Splattershot Pro and Dualie Squelchers, but again much better coverage. This makes it a better painting weapon and a comparable splatting weapon to the other mid-long-range fast-firing weapons.

A thing to note is that the L-3 can produce the underfoot puddle like the squelchers after two shots, but it seems random. Sometimes it shows up on the first shot, sometimes it takes 3 or more shots.

Doorman

I was using the Clash Blaster yesterday and noticed this. Tried to do 1 shot then swim through what ink there was but noticed there were some small, but noticeable spots un-inked. Not that big of a deal, but it's kind of the principle: Why shouldn't the Clash Blaster be able to do it as well? Especially regarding what you brought up with how other Blaster type weapons leave a solid trail before the explosion. As far as I'm concerned the only Blaster that's really worth a damn, is the Rapid Blaster, and even then its kit is sorta questionable imo.

The original model (or what the Discord group regularly refers to as the "Just Blaster") definitely feels like it has a rough go of things in this game right now, with its ink efficiency being harmed so much and (in my opinion, at least) the toxic mist not being nearly as useful of a combat tool as the old disruptor was for this kit. You really have no way at all to out-fight something like a splattershot or anything similar outside of getting an ambush-direct OHKO since any other scenario tends to wind up with you being dead. Which...at that point, you could probably ambush-kill just as easily with a splattershot yourself, and also have much better approach options and turf covering ability. Disruptor used to help even up your maneuverability against ink-hungry weapons and cut off escapes, allowing you to chase down and take out a fleeing foe. If you hit someone with mist....they just leave the mist and it's like nothing happened, and after throwing it out you barely have any ink to try and chase after them anyway. The Luna, despite having its efficiency cut down even worse than the Just Blaster, feels more usable to me if only because it's a little quicker and your odds of getting the 2-burst KOs is higher than the normal blaster. Baller's a wonky special that I can't figure out, though. I agree that utility-wise, the Rapid Blaster is probably the best of the bunch for the time being and I haven't actually tried it out yet, but it does at least have the range to out-duke many of the current popular weapons as long as you keep your spacing right (namely Splattershot, Aerospray, Octobrush, N-Zap, and Tri-slosher...even Brella if you want to count it as popular for now).

Thing is...I still think the Clash is also really good at pressuring many of those same weapons. Those fast explosions can be pretty disorienting and I think they do a better job of catching people around corners than the Rapid's bursts do. I admit if they made the Clash's turfing work the same way as other blasters it would probably be able to cover ground a little too quickly, but like I suggested if they just tweak its inking pattern to vary a little more, it would open up the weapon's overall usability a lot without really changing the power balance at all of what would be best to combat it. I was curious about Clash prior to the game coming out, felt a little disheartened when folks who got it earlier quickly shelved it for a variety of reasons (4 indirect bursts to KO instead of 2 or 3 like other blasters, really poor turfing, not generally liking stingray), and figured I'd just give it a little test for the sake of it before heading back to my other "main" weapons.
But what I'm finding out is that, despite its flaws, with this weapon I might be having the most pure fun with the game since its launch. Weighing effectiveness and results against my personal opinions and feelings about weapons has been something I struggle with a lot, and it's been that way since very early into Splatoon 1, so something like this that I can be enjoying even during times that I'm not doing particularly well kinda means something to me. It's entirely possible that honeymoon period might fade at some point, but I'll keep pressing it for now, and try to find out just what this thing's capable of.

Edit:
Inspired by Doorman's post above (thanks for the idea) and my crusade to get people to try out the L-3 Nozzlenose, I did some testing in the lab. I compared the range and paint coverage of 4 more "back-line," mid-long-range, fast-firing weapons that in my opinion are the most viable. I used a number of shots that take approximately the same time to complete. Here are the results:

[range pic]

You can see that in two trigger squeezes, the L-3 Nozzlenose has 80% of the range and better paint coverage compared to the Jet Squelcher. It has practically the same range as the Splattershot Pro and Dualie Squelchers, but again much better coverage. This makes it a better painting weapon and a comparable splatting weapon to the other mid-long-range fast-firing weapons.

A thing to note is that the L-3 can produce the underfoot puddle like the squelchers after two shots, but it seems random. Sometimes it shows up on the first shot, sometimes it takes 3 or more shots.

Woo! Glad to help inspire some other folks to test and poke around with underappreciated stuff.
From what I understand looking through datamine info and prior game stuff, the H-3 is technically the nozzlenose with range equivalent to the SplatterPro/Dualies/.96, with the L-3 falling a little shorter. I'm actually kind of surprised to see there that the difference isn't as severe as I would have expected.

I'd say I would be curious to see how the .96 Gal's inking pattern looks in equivalence with these, since it falls into that same range class (and is another one of those weapons I personally like putting in time with, despite my wild inconsistencies with it)...but if the time of firing shots is how you're working this out I suppose I'd expect not to be very impressed. The 96 would likely only fit in 2 shots in that sort of timeframe. Fatter bullets and more deviation could possibly help it out though.

Kyrios

You'd be surprised. It wouldn't surprise me if you go on a 11 game winning streak tomorrow, that's how the game's been for me it seems lol

MGrant

I'd say I would be curious to see how the .96 Gal's inking pattern looks in equivalence with these, since it falls into that same range class (and is another one of those weapons I personally like putting in time with, despite my wild inconsistencies with it)...but if the time of firing shots is how you're working this out I suppose I'd expect not to be very impressed. The 96 would likely only fit in 2 shots in that sort of timeframe. Fatter bullets and more deviation could possibly help it out though.

I went ahead and compared it using 3 shots, with an OG Splattershot for comparison, too:

splatnozzle969vkkj.png

I think the .96 is a better painting weapon than the L-3 based on this test, but due to accuracy, a worse splatting weapon. With at least 4 shots, though, it clearly outclasses the other options in painting from range, especially when you factor in the sprinkler and ink armor support. In my opinion, it's a painter, not a defender like the others, but it's one of my favorites just because I feel like fucking Rambo when I wield the thing. I haven't unlocked the H-3 yet, but I will test it when I get the chance.

Teammates are baffling sometimes. The other day I quad wiped the team but traded with the last guy. My teammates were all around the tower and no one got on. They pushed forward for some reason?

Had to swim back and take the tower myself, by which time everyone had died somehow when the enemy team came back. This was in A rank, by the way. Just gotta keep grinding and you'll get to S rank eventually. Luck and skill are required.

WALKMAN04

I went ahead and compared it using 3 shots, with an OG Splattershot for comparison, too:

splatnozzle969vkkj.png

I think the .96 is a better painting weapon than the L-3 based on this test, but due to accuracy, a worse splatting weapon. With at least 4 shots, though, it clearly outclasses the other options in painting from range, especially when you factor in the sprinkler and ink armor support. In my opinion, it's a painter, not a defender like the others, but it's one of my favorites just because I feel like fucking Rambo when I wield the thing. I haven't unlocked the H-3 yet, but I will test it when I get the chance.
If you are looking for turfing from long range shooting the H3 is the weapon of choice i believe. I say give it a shot when you unlock it, to see its turfing in action start from one corner in the test room and just strafe side to side and see how much ground you inked. It is not a beginner friendly weapon as far as firefights go but its an amazing support weapon that can be used for splats as well once you get the aiming down.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Damn did not think my team would win splat zone just now. My team was getting wrecked with like 1:30 to go the enemy was down to 5 points but as soon as we took control we never let go and went all the way for the KO from 100.

edit: Clutch factor is strong these past 2 games. Just won in OT down 85-20 lol.

You can kill flyfish's cokeboxes with:

1. bomb
2. inkjet
3. missals

So... did anyone try to use blasters to break those boxes? It seems it's the blast that works not ink shots.

Branduil

You can kill flyfish's cokeboxes with:

1. bomb
2. inkjet
3. missals

So... did anyone try to use blasters to break those boxes? It seems it's the blast that works not ink shots.

Ink Jet is so fucking finicky though, so are missiles. You have to hit the exact 5-pixel wide opening with your blast or it doesn't work.

random25

Those are fine weapon sets for the next Salmon Run.

If only you can hold the Brella upright to shield you from the Drizzler.

Mediking

I wonder when new stages and music come. I kinda want more turf war music it's only a single band right now:/ and 2 more stages can't hurt.

A new Salmon Run stage would be ace too.

We need new stuff in general. Lol

More clothes

More stages

More explorable plaza areas

More music

More Splatfest

More weapons

More hair options

Top Bottom