• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

ChrisD

Oh, dang, Random, y'all lost by 1%. There was my team's ink all around you. But you spent the last three seconds of the round squidbagging me.

I'm sure your team loves you.
I know I love you, thanks for the win!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
When people on the scoreboard have like 10 splats and 0 points, does that mean they pulled a good old rage quit?

ChrisD

When people on the scoreboard have like 10 splats and 0 points, does that mean they pulled a good old rage quit?

A lot more likely they just D/C'd than a ragequit. Switch = People playing on-the-go = playing on unstable connections.

That's what I'm going with, anyways. Splatoon 1 had nowhere near as many D/C's.

jengo

So what do you get with the stamp cards in Local Salmon Run? I only got 5 so far, so 3 more to fill a card...

audio_delay

Neo Member
Why? i cannot believe people made it to professional on salmon run and don't care about picking up eggs!?! They just kill bosses and that is it.

NuKERxyz

Is there a way to see how many snails I have? When I go to murch and attribute slots with them I don't see how many I still have.

Also, is there a guide in how to upgrade correctly? The attributes are random after we unlock slots?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Salmon Run's live? Cool Ill play a few matches.

At first I wasnt a fan of the rotating weapons but now I understand that you're supposed to play a different role each round and am enjoying it much more now.

Pikma

Banned
S+ in Splatoon 2 is absolutely nothing compared to Splatoon 1 in terms of the skill required to reach it, like, nothing at all. I just had a guy from my team get the RM and run towards our own team's goal with a little bit over a minute left, of course he got splatted and the other team won instantly.

That shit would simply not fly on Splatoon 1 S+

Something I've learned that's been winning me more combat encounters is purposefully taking my thumb off of the right thumbstick when I'm firing my weapon. I've played Halo for too long to stop my brain from wanting to influence my shot with my thumb. Doing this forces me to use the precise and quick aiming of the gyro and only use the right stick for quick turns.

S+ in Splatoon 2 is absolutely nothing compared to Splatoon 1 in terms of the skill required to reach it, like, nothing at all. I just had a guy from my team get the RM and run towards our own team's goal with a little bit over a minute left, of course he got splatted and the other team won instantly.

I refuse to play RM with randoms.

At that level I'm pretty sure they're a griefer and you should report them on the App.

Is there a way to see how many snails I have? When I go to murch and attribute slots with them I don't see how many I still have.

Also, is there a guide in how to upgrade correctly? The attributes are random after we unlock slots?

You can see you snail amount in the general UI in the Square right next to your money.

All attributes are still random from unlocked slots.

Pikma

Banned
At that level I'm pretty sure they're a griefer and you should report them on the App.

You can see you snail amount in the general UI in the Square right next to your money.

All attributes are still random from unlocked slots.
Nah he was trying, we had the lead by a lot, it was an honestly stupid play

Maengun1

Salmon Run with randoms is just the worst thing in the world sometimes. I just went through a crew wipe on the first wave THREE times in a row. Rounds where the other 3 somehow all die in the first 30 seconds, rounds where no one but me seems to know reviving teammates is an option, etc. I don't care at all about losing a turf war match but SR is just so friggin' punishing for a loss I have no incentive to keep going at all. I will never make it out of the 2nd tier or get a bonus with these teams. Plus the weapon rotation has been pure garbage. Why can't I just use the weapon I want.

Pikma

Banned
oh, so he was just stalling in a bad way, I can see that.
Yeah but at that level you are expected to know that resetting the RM is the only viable play if you consider that the RM is in a dangerous spot, which he clearly did because otherwise he wouldn't have tried to run towards our base.

ChrisD

Seeing that people always say the current Salmon Run rotation is hot garbage (even when it's great like the previous and yes, current, rotation), I sort of want to know what the "right loadout" is.

dang

I don't think I've seen a single Salmon Run go by where someone didn't say how bad it was lol

GokouD

Salmon Run with randoms is just the worst thing in the world sometimes. I just went through a crew wipe on the first wave THREE times in a row. Rounds where the other 3 somehow all die in the first 30 seconds, rounds where no one but me seems to know reviving teammates is an option, etc. I don't care at all about losing a turf war match but SR is just so friggin' punishing for a loss I have no incentive to keep going at all. I will never make it out of the 2nd tier or get a bonus with these teams. Plus the weapon rotation has been pure garbage. Why can't I just use the weapon I want.

Not getting to use the weapon you want is the whole point if it. Otherwise everyone would just use splattershots and tri-sloshers and it would be boring and easy. Getting out of your comfort zone and using a new weapon is what keeps it interesting.

Seeing that people always say the current Salmon Run rotation is hot garbage (even when it's great like the previous and yes, current, rotation), I sort of want to know what the "right loadout" is.

dang

I don't think I've seen a single Salmon Run go by where someone didn't say how bad it was lol
Lol ikr?

Estoc

dang

There was one with like a bunch of guns. I really like that one.

To be honest, the weapon selection is pretty good this time, people just need to run into better team mates. Know your strength, know your weakness, Sun Tzu and all that.

When I get roller, I will play less offensively, instead using my time to ensure my team's safe route to the basket, only going for bosses that rollers are good against. When I get brush, I will, as others have said, take advantage of my speed, rescuing team mates, dealing with bosses too far away from the team, collecting eggs, etc.

For me, the worst selections are either melee-heavy or have a charger(because I can't aim).

The only weapon I don't like from the current SR rotation is the brush
Brushes are ridiculously effective in SR at clearing trash and focusing easy targets (back of a steel eel, a busted down one in the vehicle). Just click the button as fast as you can. It requires your team to be able to focus the bosses you can't handle but affords you the ability to handle yourself and manoeuvre pretty effectively.

Mini Splatling is the only weapon I can't abide in SR. The stop start is just far too short each burst.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Not getting to use the weapon you want is the whole point if it. Otherwise everyone would just use splattershots and tri-sloshers and it would be boring and easy. Getting out of your comfort zone and using a new weapon is what keeps it interesting.
Exactly. Some of the weapons in SR I'd never use in a vs match. But in SR they all have their proper uses - snipers for Steel Heads and fat salmons, brushes and rollers for swarms, etc.

pringles

Awesome weapon rotation in SR, of course I get stuck with some of the worst teammates I've had in this mode so far though.. btw if someone has "G&K" in their name you can basically count it as a failed round/game, those players suck badly 99% of the time in my experience.

Why? i cannot believe people made it to professional on salmon run and don't care about picking up eggs!?! They just kill bosses and that is it.
Well, for example in this rotation the brush and aerospray should really focus on cleaning up mobs, inking the ground and picking up eggs. The Splattershot and Splatling users should be focusing more on the bosses and not so much running back and forth to the basket all the time. It's very, very rarely I fail a wave because of a lack of eggs available. Very often though we get overrun because everyone is focusing so hard on the eggs.

I've been using the heavy splatling in rainmaker and I like it a lot for that mode.

It's good at breaking the rainmaker's shield. And with a single charge, you can kind of alternate back and forth between breaking the rainmaker's shield and attacking people. Also it's good at inking a path for the rainmaker and simultaneously attacking people with a single charge. It has long range, and I think it's great for supporting the rainmaker.

That said, I never see anyone else using the splatling (in any mode, really). I must have played 30 matches today and never saw another splatling.

Why don't people like the splatling more? I can understand that it's not the greatest weapon ever. But I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as its low usage would suggest.

J@hranimo

Banned
splatoon-2-classic-squiffer.png

Squiffer is coming back. Same time as the other weapon releases.

Point sensor. Ink armor.

Soul Lab

After some ranked sessions in the evenings of the last few days. I'd like to give a general advice for fighting back the objective. Maybe it can help.

I played Splatoon 1 a lot, but before the big update. So I had not much experience in Tower Control and Rainmaker.

My weapon choice depends a bit on the mode. For Tower Control and Splat zones most of the time I pick Splattershot pro/Zap/Ttek Splattershot. Rainmaker is Charger only because I have fun lol.

Aiming is not that important in Splatoon (depending on the weapon class). Ofc it's helpful to splat your opponents to win a game, but gamesense and awareness are much more important!!

The biggest mistake players make, and this is true for all 3 modes, is rushing in without thinking aka auto-piloting. They die, they rush in, and they die again most likely. You have to be aware how many players are alive in your and the enemy team all the time and act accordingly. I cannot stress enough how important that is.

Especially in Splat Zones, so often players fail to fight back the zones because of trickle. They panic and think they have to get back the zones (or Tower or Rainmaker) ASAP, they die and it will take even longer to get back the objective.

So what you can do about it? Be smarter than your teammates (and your enemies ;) ).
DON'T RUSH IN! Keep your distance. (And this is not just true for long distance weapons) Charge your ult. Probably one of the enemies will overextend and you can kill him. Try to get an advantage for the next attack. Maybe you can even be a safe spot for a super jump depending on the situation.

Of course, this won't win all of your games. But it will help to win a game for sure.
Self-criticsm is important too. Think about the decisions you made in game etc. And if you can't see or remember any mistakes you made, well then, you were auto-piloting.

Bernbaum

Is there a way of checking the Salmon Run schedule times online, without my Switch? Surely there is a twitter feed or something for my time zone.

MGrant

Back from the lab with some more test results some might find interesting. Today I tested 3 weapons I consider to be the most well-rounded in the game, capable of inking, splatting, and defending without any huge deficiencies, but without any particular specialties, either: the Splattershot, the .52 Gal, and the N-Zap '85. First, let's look at the inking pattern. I used the minimum number of shots from each weapon required to kill, which take about the same amount of time:

Code:
[img]https://abload.de/img/splatwellroundedutspg.png[/img]

You can see that all 3 weapons have basically the same range. The Splattershot has a nice, consistent straight inking pattern and good accuracy. The .52 Gal has a slightly fatter path, but less consistency at close range, though at range it's fairly accurate. The N-Zap has a pattern similar to the Splattershot, but it spreads a bit at the end. But that's not all I looked at:

Code:
[img]https://abload.de/img/splatwellroundedrangeyis0l.png[/img]

What surprised me after testing out kill ranges on these 3 is that their max range is shorter than the inking pattern makes it appear: the furthest target you can splat with these is about 2.5 lines away, not 3 lines as it appears. At max range, each weapon requires an additional shot to kill (4 shots total for the Splattershot, 3 for the .52, 5 for the N-Zap).

I was also surprised that all 3 weapons have more or less the same optimal range of about 2.25 lines away or less. In this range, your shots will hit most consistently and kill in the fewest shots.

Finally, I tested the average time-to-kill at both max range and within optimal range.

Splattershot
Max Range: 0.72 seconds average TTK
Optimal Range: 0.52 seconds average TTK

.52 Gal
Max Range: 0.96 seconds average TTK
Optimal Range: 0.42 seconds average TTK

N-Zap '85
Max Range: 0.8 seconds average TTK
Optimal Range: 0.5 seconds average TTK

The Splattershot is the fastest killer at max range, but the slowest within optimal range (though the difference is negligible). The .52 Gal is the slowest killer at max range due to the extra required shot, but the fastest within optimal range. The N-Zap is in the middle on both fronts, but its shots land more consistently within optimal range (very little variation in TTK).

tsundoku

dang

thats because they're all supposed to challenge you
except for like that first one with a full size roller, normal charge time charger, no splatlings and no brushes (which i make work ... but lots of people seem to have immense trouble with)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get why people use the .52 Gal, or at least, why they would use at a reasonably high level. Good players won't be engaging with it at the kill range, so it's not beating the Splattershot or the N-Zap '85 unless you manage to flank or ambush - but if you did manage to do either of those things, there are better choices. The Splattershot has an incredible sub (Burst Bombs), and the N-Zap '85 has a great special (Ink Armour), but the .52 Gal has... Point Sensor and Baller. I think pretty much any .52 Gal user will do better switching to either the Splattershot (slightly more aggressively minded) or the N-Zap '85 (slightly more defensively minded) after a small period of adjustment, rather than sticking with the .52 Gal.

tsundoku

I don't get why people use the .52 Gal, or at least, why they would use at a reasonably high level. Good players won't be engaging with it at the kill range, so it's not beating the Splattershot or the N-Zap '85 unless you manage to flank or ambush - but if you did manage to do either of those things, there are better choices. The Splattershot has an incredible sub (Burst Bombs), and the N-Zap '85 has a great special (Ink Armour), but the .52 Gal has... Point Sensor and Baller. I think pretty much any .52 Gal user will do better switching to either the Splattershot (slightly more aggressively minded) or the N-Zap '85 (slightly more defensively minded) after a small period of adjustment, rather than sticking with the .52 Gal.

2 hits

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

2 hits if they're in your optimal range, but if they're in your optimal range they are either confident they can kill you faster (bad for you), bad players (you would have killed them with something else anyway, and there will be less and less players like this the further you go), or you ambushed them or flanked them (in which case you have 1 hit options and the .52 Gal is redundant).

tsundoku

2 hits if they're in your optimal range, but if they're in your optimal range they are either confident they can kill you faster (bad for you), bad players (you would have killed them with something else anyway, and there will be less and less players like this the further you go), or you ambushed them or flanked them (in which case you have 1 hit options and the .52 Gal is redundant).

There will always be 7 bad players in your lobbies because the matchmaking is based 100% on ping and 0% on skill and winpercentage
Also there is a weird shitty tier list of weapon matchmaking because the only way i play against competent chargers / unusual weapons / even encounter unusual weapons and not 99% weapon-of-the-day-bucket-aerospray-and-dualies is to pick up a charger myself
and i just dont play at that skill level
absolutely everyone appears to be bad and using short range spammy weapons and im extremely pissed i cant matchmake in w japanese players anymore

J@hranimo

Banned
Back from the lab with some more test results some might find interesting. Today I tested 3 weapons I consider to be the most well-rounded in the game, capable of inking, splatting, and defending without any huge deficiencies, but without any particular specialties, either: the Splattershot, the .52 Gal, and the N-Zap '85. First, let's look at the inking pattern. I used the minimum number of shots from each weapon required to kill, which take about the same amount of time:

This just reconfirms that the splattershot is the best overall weapon in the game.

Top Bottom