• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin64

I definitely recommend this version, if you only want to add new native games like me, here you go.

Yesterday's build had a couple of issues, can you check if they are fixed?

1) Box art was coming out the wrong size and appearing smaller than official box art on the system.
2) New games added were coming out in the wrong order when sorted alphabetically.

So currently we can't figure out how to enable the hi-res mode within the SNES Mini. We've been all over the header/footer for Secret of Mana, which uses it, and cannot fiind a switch there. There must be something else enabling it.

But this means anything that uses the hi-res mode, such as Seiken Densetsu 3 or Treasure of the Rudras, will currently come out blurry.

What's even weirder is if you extract the SoM ROM, then recomplile your own and upload it, it too comes out blurry and no longer uses the hi-res mode.

Interesting... It's not that hi res mode isn't activating, but rather the game itself isn't being rendered in a higher resolution. I know that might seems like semantics but it's interesting.

The hardware function of hi res is still being emulated, or else every other vertical line on the text would be missing. Instead, the image seems to be being interpolated down to the lower resolution of regular SNES titles.

In the end, that won't help you find the solution any, either way it's simply missing some sort of flag to trigger it.

I haven't investigated too much, should be interesting if the crt and 4:3 filters have different processing modes to take in account the extra width pixels.

Robin64

Okay guys. If you want to get on this, https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/releases has the first official complete release of the tool for the SNES Mini, version 2.20.

Here's a quick rundown.

1) With the SNES Mini attached to your PC via USB, hold reset, turn the Mini on, wait a few seconds, then release reset. The light will not be on.
2) Go to Kernel, Dump Kernel. Install the driver if prompted. DO NOT lose this file, ever.
3) Go to Kernel, Flash Custom Kernel. Your SNES Mini is now haxed.
3a) Optional, but recommended if you aren't doing too many games. Go to Settings, Pages/Folders Structure and pick Disable.
4) From now on, simply use the Add Games button, pick your SNES ROM, fill out the details, assign some box art..
5) And when you're done, hit the Sync button bottom right.
6) Now turn the SNES off, wait a moment, then turn it back on without holding reset. The light will come on, your new games will appear.

LklehtT.png

What doesn't work right now?
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Dragon Quest III
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Far East Eden of Zero
Great Circus Caper
Top Gear 3000
Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension

What games exhibit problems?
Treasure of the Rudras (hi-res text is blurry)
Seiken Densetsu 3 (hi-res components are blurry)
Uniracers (opponent always drawn in center of screen)
Smash Tennis (screen stretches outside of the confines of the TV)
Earthworm Jim 2 (audio issues)
Krusty's Super Fun House (graphics corruptions)
Air Strike Force (no shadow, garbled graphics at briefing, blurry hi-res text)

BaneDrain

Just added DKC2 and DKC3 for a quick test and worked without a hitch. Time to fully transport back to the nineties this weekend...

Phatcorns

Okay guys. If you want to get on this.

Thanks! So, is there functionality to transfer srm saves to the snes classic (or nes classic for that matter)? I have a Front Mission Gun Hazard srm from my computer that I want to finish some day, but would love to do it on this instead of my computer.

I looked into it a bit on the NES classic a while ago, but didn't really find anything.

Robin64

Thanks! So, is there functionality to transfer srm saves to the snes classic (or nes classic for that matter)? I have a Front Mission Gun Hazard srm from my computer that I want to finish some day, but would love to do it on this instead of my computer.

I looked into it a bit on the NES classic a while ago, but didn't really find anything.

Not using this tool, but it might certainly be possible once you've got it all set up, as you can FTP in to the SNES Classic and browse the file structure.

Maxrunner

Okay guys. If you want to get on this, here is an early pre-release compile that functions fully. (I'm hosting it on my webspace so you don't have to look in shady places or anything, I think I am pretty trusted here. ;) )

Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Dragon Quest III
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Far East Eden of Zero

Where can we see how to use this? never had the nes classic so i don't know the procedure.

Not using this tool, but it might certainly be possible once you've got it all set up, as you can FTP in to the SNES Classic and browse the file structure.

Damn, this is awesome. I wanna test this out since that poster above said DKC2 and 3 work. Is there an FAQ I should watch or is there anything I need to worry about?

ktroopa

Okay guys. If you want to get on this, here is an early pre-release compile that functions fully. (I'm hosting it on my webspace so you don't have to look in shady places or anything, I think I am pretty trusted here. ;) )

thanks for the link, will give this a try :)

1up

Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Dragon Quest III
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Far East Eden of Zero

I tried other games that dont work.
Great Circus Caper - Black Screen
Top Gear 3000 (DSP4 Chip) - Black screen
Dragon Ball Z Hyper Dimension - Black Screen

Robin64

Where can we see how to use this? never had the nes classic so i don't know the procedure.

Here's a quick rundown.

1) With the SNES Mini attached to your PC via USB, hold reset, turn the Mini on, wait a few seconds, then release reset. The light will not be on.
2) Go to Kernel, Dump Kernel. Install the driver if prompted. DO NOT lose this file, ever.
3a) Optional, but recommended if you aren't doing too many games. Go to Settings, Pages/Folders Structure and pick Disable.
4) From now on, simply use the Add Games button, pick your SNES ROM, fill out the details, assign some box art..
6) Now turn the SNES off, wait a moment, then turn it back on without holding reset. The light will come on, your new games will appear.

Thanks Robin.

I'm at work but someone on the subreddit said that Fire Emblem 4 with the fan translation applied doesn't work. Can anyone verify?

Maxrunner

Here's a quick rundown.

Thanks, i assume the kernel you initially dumb is the original one and you can later install it if you want, right?
Also when adding games i assume you also need to use the step 1?

T.O.P

Banned

Here's a quick rundown.

Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Dragon Quest III
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Far East Eden of Zero
Great Circus Caper
Top Gear 3000

Cheers dude, i'm gonna give it a try tomorrow :)

Yesterday's build had a couple of issues, can you check if they are fixed?

1) Box art was coming out the wrong size and appearing smaller than official box art on the system.
2) New games added were coming out in the wrong order when sorted alphabetically.

1) Is still smaller, was wondering too why this is but I thought maybe it's my mistake and just not the right ratio or resolution.

2) Nope, don't have this problem, the 2 games I added where perfectly ordered automatically. Didn't tested the other order modes yet.

Here's a quick rundown.

Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Dragon Quest III
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Far East Eden of Zero
Great Circus Caper
Top Gear 3000

Basically what I said but yes, it's the better tutorial.

You can't do much wrong here, most of the stuff that was mentioned like hold reset for first connection or when do you have to install the driver (it's one mouse click) is explained in the program. Couldn't be easier. :)

Robin64

You might still want to make your own box art because hakchi isn't getting it correct right now.

The large box art should be 228 x 160, hakchi is incorrectly sizing it to 204 x 152.

The small box art should be 40 x 28, hakchi is making is 40 x 29 but also using an awful downscaler.
(Also, if you make your art for these at 30 x 21, you can fit on 10 more games before running off the edge)

Can we follow the development of the program?
I assume we can revert by installing the original kernel?

As long as you keep that original dump, you can revert at any time by just picking "Uninstall" from the menu.

T.O.P

Banned
Imma start modding some games with their Italian translations on my BF's Snes, gonna give it to him for christmas :)

...and i'm gonna get KI on mine asap :p

You might still want to make your own box art because hakchi isn't getting it correct right now.

The large box art should be 228 x 160, hakchi is incorrectly sizing it to 204 x 152.

The small box art should be 40 x 28, hakchi is making is 40 x 29 but also using an awful downscaler.
(Also, if you make your art for these at 30 x 21, you can fit on 10 more games before running off the edge)

Ah thank you. I bet this will be fixed with the official version.

Question, when the official version comes out, how do I update the program? Install over? Install completely new? Does the official one recognize everything I did with the mini so far?

Spy

As long as you keep that original dump, you can revert at any time by just picking "Uninstall" from the menu.
Wait, so if you're using the default sizes (228 x 160 and 40 x 28), what's the max number of games you can have before it runs off the screen?

Robin64

Ah thank you. I bet this will be fixed with the official version.

Question, when the official version comes out, how do I update the program? Install over? Install completely new? Does the official one recognize everything I did with the mini so far?

Just drop the new build on your current folder, it'll overwrite anything it needs to while keeping all your game etc intact.

Wait, so if you're using the default sizes (228 x 160 and 40 x 28), what's the max number of games you can have before it runs off the screen?

40 x 28 will give you 30 games, 30 x 21 will give you 40.

Just drop the new build on your current folder, it'll overwrite anything it needs to while keeping all your game etc intact.

40 x 28 will give you 30 games, 30 x 21 will give you 40.

Thank you. :)

For the last thing, I don't give much about if the small logos are running out of screen as long if the big ones work but just to know, how can I change the size of the small logos in the program?

Robin64

Thank you. :)

For the last thing, I don't give much about if the small logos are running out of screen as long if the big ones work but just to know, how can I change the size of the small logos in the program?

You'll have to go into the snes_games folder, and find the *_small.png files within those and resize them with MS Paint or something.

Impotaku

Here's a quick rundown.

Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Dragon Quest III
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Far East Eden of Zero
Great Circus Caper
Top Gear 3000

Thanks for taking time to post this and for hosting the preview version, tried it out and it works perfect so far.

rhino2627

Neo Member
Question on save states after running hakchi. Once hakchi is installed, will save states from the original games still exist or are they erased?

Same if I decide to revert back to the original kernel, are save states for original games preserved?

so there seems to be 2 files extensions for snes games : .sfc and .smc

What does it mean? Does only one type work? Do we have to make some type of conversion?

Robin64

Question on save states after running hakchi. Once hakchi is installed, will save states from the original games still exist or are they erased?

Same if I decide to revert back to the original kernel, are save states for original games preserved?

Save states will be fine, going back and forth.

What does it mean? Does only one type work? Do we have to make some type of conversion?

Both are fine.

I think the entension depends on the device used to dump the game, both will be automatically converted to the correct file type.

Phatcorns

Well, I tried to transfer my save and I'm getting somewhere. Perhaps someone smarter than me can help out. Any help would be much appreciated :)

I've got Front Mission on my snes classic:
hv0rmKp.jpg

Here's what the sram looks like on the snes classic when I ftp in:
uH2ocpt.jpg

Here's what my save looks like on my computer. It's an srm file not an sram:
2rIWXPZ.jpg

Here I deleted the snes classic sram files and copied over mine. I also renamed it to cartridge.sram but that's not in this picture:
JYFb1Vo.jpg

Then I started the game up and it seems to just delete the save I copied over and create it's own cartridge.sram and that hash file as well:
M7Iy7yv.jpg

Cikay

Does hacking the console and installing new games keep the saves of games already played, or is everything deleted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom