• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lewis Hamilton to provide expert in-game advice in Gran Turismo Sport

Stopped taking you seriously right about there.

I hope you don't think this means you're correct about anything or made any kind of relevant point.

Like, if you just read maybe a few more words you'd have seen real life evidence of his point.

Not to mention monkey chants on the podium in Monza.

Let alone people saying he should stop trying to be "gangsta", relating to his dress sense or lifestyle. As if Lewis looking "too black" personally insulted them.

What was your actual point though?

Unknown?

I hope there’s a video explaining how to tune your suspension. I know what toe and camber do but I don’t understand how it effects the car.

RoyalFool

Banned
Really wish someone at PD would care about the driver AI as much as the other aspects of the game, would love to have famous driver AI profiles to select from.

MrS

Banned
Hamilton is pure class and should have a knighthood. I will buy GT Sport for his expert advice.

Leunam

It's potentially thorny thing to say but some of the Hamilton hate is also rooted in some slightly dodgy racial politics, not necessarily that people who don't like him are racist but more that he sticks out as a black celebrity that doesn't conform to what people expect from white celebrity in a historically incredibly white sport, in terms of how he dresses, his off-track interests, the lifestyle he leads.

That he gets labelled as arrogant or a diva when Vettel typically does not despite how we've seen them carry themselves especially in the last year is... mmm...

I'm glad this is brought up.

People bitch about drivers not being allowed a personality and when they finally break out and do their own thing suddenly they're fake or try-hards. Not just Lewis, but he definitely seems to get the brunt of it. Their expectations have been upended and suddenly he's unbecoming of a champion driver. It's very telling. You're allowed to have a personality but it has to be the right kind, and it's frustrating watching people take that side.

Never forget robot Jeff Gordon

4PsYV8
Oh, God. I had suppressed those memories until now.

Cels

I'll give you the perspective of a Lewis defender, and then I'm sure the haters can provide their view:

He's black and came from a humble background to dominate F1 (first black man to do so). At the German GP a few years ago you could see people in stands wearing monkey outfits with Lewis' name on it - presumably meant to be some slight. I'm sure that's not what bothers all Lewis haters, but it's clearly the source of some hate.

the spaniards chanted "puto negro" and "negro de mierda" at him a while back so racism is definitely some of it

ISOM

Amazing driver, really is, historically one of the best.

Off track persona is that of a superstar prima donna, though. He's usually on the podium, so people are kinda tired of hearing his "these are the greatest fans, couldn't have done it without the team, etc etc" line all these drivers are kind of forced to make when in that position, but his usually feel especially fake, like he's above it all.

He had a couple of cringey years where he was more into rubbing shoulders with superstars on the grid than actually racing.

Also, check his instagram. Pretty douche-y.

None of that takes anything away from his driving ability, though. That's how good he is.

I checked his instagram. How is it any different from any other well known star?

I definitely could, but I can't do it as well as Hamilton does.

You mean like how football players and managers walk off the pitch smiling and waving after a particularly tough loss, talking about how they're just happy to take part and are grateful for their life?

kromeo

Tbf I don't know why they insist on sticking them in that small room together making small talk straight after the race with cameras zoomed in on their faces, always going to be awkward

GT5 had Vettel
GTS has Hamilton

Downgrade confirmed. Joking, its going to be fun seeing what lines he takes and the time he posts. Whatever you say about him, he's a legendary racer.

crash-14

the spaniards chanted "puto negro" and "negro de mierda" at him a while back so racism is definitely some of it

In that case it wasn't so much about racism. It was about attacking Alonso's rival with the easiest thing they could come across (his race). It just how spaniards work. If Perez was the one, they would use him being mexican, or label Kimi as an alcoholic. But Spanish people (Or better to say Alonso's fan base) are just a bunch of crybaby haters that would go against the one that supposedly it's taking the shine from their idol. Also claiming that the wins are ilegal or with the "maFIA" help (as they labeled the FIA)

They went against Kimi, Schumacher and Vettel (I'll argue if harder against this one that Hamilton). And yes, bast majority wanted Hamilton over Vettel this year, just because they couldn't take Vettel as a world champion with Ferrari (After Alonso not being able to do so).

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
In that case it wasn't so much about racism. It was about attacking Alonso's rival with the easiest thing they could come across (his race). It just how spaniards work. If Perez was the one, they would use him being mexican, or label Kimi as an alcoholic. But Spanish people (Or better to say Alonso's fan base) are just a bunch of crybaby haters that would go against the one that supposedly it's taking the shine from their idol. Also claiming that the wins are ilegal or with the "maFIA" help (as they labeled the FIA)

They went against Kimi, Schumacher and Vettel (I'll argue if harder against this one that Hamilton). And yes, bast majority wanted Hamilton over Vettel this year, just because they couldn't take Vettel as a world champion with Ferrari (After Alonso not being able to do so).

Sorry, but that’s utter bullshit.

hamiltong-300x187.jpg

danowat

Banned
Off the top of my head, totally non-expert opinion from screwing around with those settings in older GT games:

Camber that makes the lower end of tires face outwards (like / ) makes tires grip better during turns. For example, a powerful rear-wheel drive car may have camber on the rear wheels so that you can accelerate out of corners more easily without creating oversteer. Likewise, camber on the front wheels reduce understeer. Inverted camber (like / wheels) make the tires slip more easily during turns.

I have no fucking idea what toe does lol.

Toe is basically camber from above.

M52B28

Banned
I'll give you the perspective of a Lewis defender, and then I'm sure the haters can provide their view:

He's black and came from a humble background to dominate F1 (first black man to do so). At the German GP a few years ago you could see people in stands wearing monkey outfits with Lewis' name on it - presumably meant to be some slight. I'm sure that's not what bothers all Lewis haters, but it's clearly the source of some hate.

He's a three time world champion, and currently ahead in the points on his way to number 4. He broke several qualifying records, and at this rate will probably be the greatest qualifier / pole position taker ever, if he has a few more seasons of this caliber. While there are those that will debate this point, he's an extremely skilled and talented driver who is very driven to stay on top.

Like every world champion I've ever seen, he gets very intense in the pressure cooker of a race and will snap back at engineers asking him to do stuff during a race, but I've also seen him be gracious enough to give back a spot to a teammate that he got through team orders - even when the loss of points put him further back from the #1 spot earlier this season. Despite being literally rear-ended by Vettel for going too slow while following a pace car under caution, he was shaking his hand post-race and laughing and joking with him within a race or two. While he's active on social media and hangs out with celebs - a natural source of saltiness - he's stayed well away from the excesses of the Bibers and douchebags that live to feed the tabloid media.

He also is very clearly taken with the history and traditions of the sport, literally moved to tears when the family of his racing hero (Senna) gifted him with Senna's helmet, when he broke Senna's qualifying record. Overall I think he's a great ambassador for the sport, lifting it's public profile beyond the immediate bubble of insiders.

The main comments I've seen from those who don't like him are either on the driving side - i.e. people think he's not really that talented since he's leading most races with little competition in the fastest car around, or because of his comments or attitude to teammates/compeitors (particularly the retired Nico Rosberg)

Sorry, but that's utter bullshit.

hamiltong-300x187.jpg
I'm glad I don't have to type much now.

Everything here sums up why people generally dislike him.

He came from a small family that wasn't able to buy him into Formula 1 and he's smashing Formula 1 records held by the two best German drivers Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel. Lewis is raw talent, and it seems that he's getting better and better as he ages.

Lewis Hamilton is an inspiration, and should be an inspiration for many young black men, such as myself. He deserves the publicity and fame.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I want Maldonado as tutor for online multiplayer races.

crash-14

Sorry, but that’s utter bullshit.

hamiltong-300x187.jpg

Again, they didn't attack Hamilton cuz he's black. They did it cuz he was Alonso's rival. And the way they did it was using his race. But as I said, they've done that to every single one of Alonso's rival, just they weren't black so they didn't use the race to disrespect.

That's why I say "It wasn't so much about racism". Yes, there's people that can't stand Hamilton cuz he is black, but as I said, it's a country that attack people the "easy way" they can come across.

Again, they didn't attack Hamilton cuz he's black. They did it cuz he was Alonso's rival. And the way they did it was using his race. But as I said, they've done that to every single one of Alonso's rival, just they weren't black so they didn't use the race to disrespect.

That's why I say "It wasn't so much about racism". Yes, there's people that can't stand Hamilton cuz he is black, but as I said, it's a country that attack people the "easy way" they can come across.

Ehm, wasnt this in germany?

Edit: Don't think it was.

But still............you do realise that you have to be racist in order to denigrate someone for existing in their skin?

Like, "I'm not racist, I simply use racism to shit on people I do not like.". Probably followed with a "I'm nice to the 'good ones'" level bullshit response.

There isn't an excuse for racism.

ESPECIALLY "no But, I don't like that guy".

DrM

Redmond's Baby

'You should buy me a steering wheel!"
"When you are leading by a mile, you should think about other things"
"Can I get an icecream, these car settings are boring"
"What did you changed on your car, I was having a shit"
"I am not interested"

Hes black and one of the most talented drivers ever.
"but could you drink a beer with him?"

I don't understand the hate either he is one of the goats and isn't an asshole

Seems like a decent dude who super talented clearly people got to hate on him

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Do you understand what racism is?

crash-14

Ehm, wasnt this in germany?

Edit: Don't think it was.

But still............you do realise that you have to be racist in order to denigrate someone for existing in their skin?

Like, "I'm not racist, I simply use racism to shit on people I do not like.". Probably followed with a "I'm nice to the 'good ones'" level bullshit response.

There isn't an excuse for racism.

ESPECIALLY "no But, I don't like that guy".

Different cultures, different mentalities. I'm just trying to explain how Spain mentality works. They don't feel using something racial/religion related or sexual orientation towards someone you dislike makes you a hater of the collective unless you clearly hate anyone from the specific group. Them using race to attack Hamilton doesn't make them feel racist since they admire Kobe Bryant/LeBron James or Usain Bolt...

So calling someone "Negro de mierda" to them it's like calling a fat dude you dislike "bag of shit" (Saco de mierda in spanish), not implying you want every single fat dude to die or "skinny/fit" supremacism. Let's say racism isn't labeled on the words rather than the intentions and the mindset behind the one using them. Guess that's due spanish language having so many rude words and expressions in the vocabulary without the need to censor them (Not even on TV) like other countries do.

Not trying to defend it. Just explaining how their brain works and why most of them don't feel it's bigger than just being disrespectful.

And no to be repetitive,but the Alonso fans that still follow F1 (the ones that haven't quit due Fernando not winning in years) have far bigger hate to Vettel than Hamilton.
If you speak to them about the 2, they'll tell you that Mclaren and Bernie helped Hamilton against Alonso, but he's proved his talent and might be the only one near Alonso's level. While speaking about Vettel, they think it's a talentless driver that only took benefit from Newey's talent and Ecclestone/FIA wanting to build a new Schumacher.

M52B28

Banned
Different cultures, different mentalities. I'm just trying to explain how Spain mentality works. They don't feel using something racial/religion related or sexual orientation towards someone you dislike makes you a hater of the collective unless you clearly hate anyone from the specific group. Them using race to attack Hamilton doesn't make them feel racist since they admire Kobe Bryant/LeBron James or Usain Bolt...

So calling someone "Negro de mierda" to them it's like calling a fat dude you dislike "bag of shit" (Saco de mierda in spanish), not implying you want every single fat dude to die or "skinny/fit" supremacism. Let's say racism isn't labeled on the words rather than the intentions and the mindset behind the one using them. Guess that's due spanish language having so many rude words and expressions in the vocabulary without the need to censor them (Not even on TV) like other countries do.

Not trying to defend it. Just explaining how their brain works and why most of them don't feel it's bigger than just being disrespectful.

And no to be repetitive,but the Alonso fans that still follow F1 (the ones that haven't quit due Fernando not winning in years) have far bigger hate to Vettel than Hamilton.
If you speak to them about the 2, they'll tell you that Mclaren and Bernie helped Hamilton against Alonso, but he's proved his talent and might be the only one near Alonso's level. While speaking about Vettel, they think it's a talentless driver that only took benefit from Newey's talent and Ecclestone/FIA wanting to build a new Schumacher.
I suggest you stop now. Racism is racism, nothing else.

Top Bottom