• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm loving INFINITY FIELD!
But out of my 37 Gamecenter friends only m^rco has it, anybody else here has the game and wants to add me?
Dash Kappei GAF on GC/OF.

Soon I'll repost the NeoGAF list, which is updated anyway so go ahead and search for it in this thread, few pages ago :)

Fusebox

Banned
Dead Space is getting great reviews on iTunes too, everyone saying it's the first real console-like experience on the iPad. I was going to wait for price-drop but might have to jump in earlier and check out it's creepy goodness.

Reese-015

Goddamn I can't emphasize enough just how good Nova 2's multiplayer is. Of all the awesome games I have, it's what's gotten me hooked the most... Though it may be tied with Infinity Blade, which I do think is still an even better game though (and will probably take my attention away from Nova 2 a lot once it gets it's multiplayer update).

Replicant

Fusebox said:
Dead Space is getting great reviews on iTunes too, everyone saying it's the first real console-like experience on the iPad. I was going to wait for price-drop but might have to jump in earlier and check out it's creepy goodness.

Yeah, I'm kind of curious about this one too. Does anyone know if Dead Space iPhone/iPod is the same as Dead Space iPad or are there two difference version? I'm not sure I'd like to double-dip on iPad if I end up buying one this year.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Reese-015 said:
Is Infinity Field gonna come to the iPhone too?
I have no idea, but honestly it fits the iPad perfectly.
I still like Geo Wars graphics and music better (especially sound fx) but even tho it's not bad compared to how shitty it is on iPhone, It has a lot of problems on the controls department and Infinity Field plays 10x better.
Also, Gamecenter support is a welcomed plus in my book.

TechSamurai

Neo Member
WordAssassin said:
About your second point, yes it is, kind of. The game ramps up in speed as you play, but tilting the phone up and down controls your speed while left and right controls your direction. Tilting it up, or away from you, slows you down.

Wow, I am an idiot. I played this a bunch last night, and never noticed that I could modify my speed by tilting...

Lost Company, turn-based military tactics. I've been wanting something like this. I think they said the release would be within a few months or so.

LostCompanyBackground.png

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=59765

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Playing a bit more Dead Space, becoming less and less impressed by it the more I play. Experiencing some really annoying problems with the lighting - when the baddies attack it goes into quarantine mode but the problem is that it's so dark I can barely see what I'm shooting at, I'm really just relying on technique - one shot to the legts then two just above at the shoulders. If the lighing was better this game would be a lot more fun.

Also, those breeder forms are a pain in the ass without a pulse rifle. The big mommas are one thing but you have no effective weapon for dealing with the babies. You can waste cutter ammo or hope the ripper gets them but neither is really well suited to it. When it gets hectic you can't always deal with the mommas in the best way and it's so frustrating being covered in those little buggers while the bigger enemies swarm around you.

The controls are fairly decent and it's a good proof of concept but the game itself is really boring and a poor attempt at recreating the dead space formula. I think a whole different direction would have served this game better, more like Extraction or something, mix it up.

Tobor said:
Apple would never approve that. Neither would MS for that matter. Don't get your hopes up.

Oh I wasn't getting my hopes up at all. I just thought it was interesting from an idea standpoint. There would have to be some serious issues to work through to get this up and running on iOS. I would think the main hoop to jump through would be Apple, not Sony. It probably comes down to control (not gameplay wise but property management, rights, services, etc.)

If it DID happen, it would be pretty cool though.

There are a few PSOne games I'd jump at in a heartbeat. Old-school Hot Shots Golf 2, Tomb Raider, etc would be a blast to have on iPod Touch/iPhone. The graphics would still be a blurry mess and who in the world knows what kind of crazy control scheme would have to be implemented.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Tobor said:
Apple would never approve that. Neither would MS for that matter. Don't get your hopes up.

All sony has to do is release iphone apps that have the framework built in + PSN connectivity and then release a PSN Framework App that links (to itunes) all the current PS Framework games. As long as the PSN app doesn't act like a store, all of that could be approved.

Murmur

Yay! New Plants vs. Zombies update for iPhone with Game Center support. Think it was iPad only for GC before?

EDIT> Silly me. Think it happened with the last update.

Talon

Murmur said:
Yay! New Plants vs. Zombies update for iPhone with Game Center support. Think it was iPad only for GC before?

EDIT> Silly me. Think it happened with the last update.
No, you're right; it's a new update.

Is that a jindo or an akita in your avatar?

Reese-015

Just played some Nova 2 on the iPhone 4 of a friend of mine. The gyroscope 'virtual window' controls are amazing. I don't know if it's efficient (it's certainly not practical) to rely solely on gyro for looking/aiming but it was awesome and pretty addictive to just play while standing and twist and turn like crazy while I'm strafing around, it's really damn immersive and a lot of fun.

qsh

Neo Member
WordAssassin said:
Damn, I'm still #1 on Pixfall? Wow.

Just you wait!

BTW. We are talking to major iOS gaming websites to make the "first player to reach 50.000 wins an iPod Touch" thing official!

graywolf323

Tobor said:

well it'd be wise of them to do so

initially my iPod Touch made it a lot more likely for me to get an iPhone (if it comes to T-Mobile) just due to all the apps I already have for it now

but the PlayStation Suite is a huge selling point for me and I'd say I'm leaning towards Android now

braves01

Banned
I bought Espgaluda II a couple days ago and I CANNOT STOP PLAYING.

The controls are precise, the game looks great visually with no slowdown except when Gamecenter chirps in for achievements or high scores, and the sound track is excellent, too. Not to mention the game, expensive for iOS at $9, is still a fraction of the cost you'd pay for import prices. Who'd have thought the bullet hell genre would be so well suited to this platform? I'm probably going to pick up Dodonpachi soon as well. Here's to Cave bringing out as much of their catalog as possible.

numble

Gamecocks625 said:
Oh I wasn't getting my hopes up at all. I just thought it was interesting from an idea standpoint. There would have to be some serious issues to work through to get this up and running on iOS. I would think the main hoop to jump through would be Apple, not Sony. It probably comes down to control (not gameplay wise but property management, rights, services, etc.)

If it DID happen, it would be pretty cool though.

There are a few PSOne games I'd jump at in a heartbeat. Old-school Hot Shots Golf 2, Tomb Raider, etc would be a blast to have on iPod Touch/iPhone. The graphics would still be a blurry mess and who in the world knows what kind of crazy control scheme would have to be implemented.
I don't see what the problem would be. Capcom Arcade is an app that is basically doing this right now, they're adding a new game every month. They sell the games as in-app purchases.

Minsc

Gold Member
graywolf323 said:
well it'd be wise of them to do so

initially my iPod Touch made it a lot more likely for me to get an iPhone (if it comes to T-Mobile) just due to all the apps I already have for it now

but the PlayStation Suite is a huge selling point for me and I'd say I'm leaning towards Android now

I like having a PC/360/Wii/PSP/iPhone, get a very nice mix of games (Windows/MS/Nintendo/Sony/Apple). Not sure if I'd trade my iPhone game selection for Android, even with PS Suite, since I have a PSP. I feel I'd be giving up way more than I'd get back.

Only thing that'd make me think twice is if I could start a PSN game on my PSP, and switch to an Android phone picking up exactly where I left off, then go back to the PSP, but I doubt that'll ever happen. I think at best there may be a few PS3/PSP2 crossover games, but we'll see.

graywolf323

Minsc said:
I like having a PC/360/Wii/PSP/iPhone, get a very nice mix of games. Not sure if I'd trade my iPhone games selection for Android, even with PS Suite, since I have a PSP. I feel I'd be giving up way more than I'd get back.

Only think that'd make me think twice is if I could start a PSN game on my PSP, and switch to an Android phone picking up exactly where I left off, then go back to the PSP, but I doubt that'll ever happen. I think at best there may be a few PS3/PSP2 crossover games, but we'll see.

well I'd still have my iPod Touch :p so not giving up iOS games

I have right now PS3/PC/DS Lite/PSP/iPod Touch but being able to play some of my PS1 games on an Android Phone would be nice because sometimes I don't always want to lug my PSP around with me

Minsc

Gold Member
graywolf323 said:
well I'd still have my iPod Touch :p so not giving up iOS games

I have right now PS3/PC/DS Lite/PSP/iPod Touch but being able to play some of my PS1 games on an Android Phone would be nice because sometimes I don't always want to lug my PSP around with me

Yea, at least there's the iPod Touch's, if for some reason I did switch. PS Suite is definitely one of the most interesting things to happen to the mobile gaming space in a long time, I wonder how far off it is from being on 10s of millions of phones?

Psy-Phi

Talon- said:
No, you're right; it's a new update.

Is that a jindo or an akita in your avatar?
It is a new update, but Game Center was pushed out in the last one. This update says it resolves previous crashing/loading problems if your language is set to Japanese. So, generally useless unless you have that set. But a welcome fix for those that do I'm sure.

graywolf323

Minsc said:
Yea, at least there's the iPod Touch's, if for some reason I did switch. PS Suite is definitely one of the most interesting things to happen to the mobile gaming space in a long time, I wonder how far off it is from being on 10s of millions of phones?

I believe they've said it'll require Android 2.3

don't know a lot about Android yet but don't think a lot of phones are at 2.3 yet

MrMephistoX

numble said:
I don't see what the problem would be. Capcom Arcade is an app that is basically doing this right now, they're adding a new game every month. They sell the games as in-app purchases.

Thanks for tempting me when I don't have access to my dearly beloved iPhone. I can't decide what I miss more my wife -who's borrowing it for an overseas trip - or the phone! God I'm using her Android phone on verizon: I forgot how clunky Android is no thank you.

Warm Gun

based on Unreal Engine 3, Q2 2011. Multiplayer, offline w/bots, etc.

TA forums said:
Hey guys,

The Emotional Robots team is really excited about your enthusiasm for Warm Gun! We want to take a minute to try and clear up any doubts/confusion associated with the game.

* The screenshots you see being posted have all been from the PC version of the game. We're still making progress on the iOS side of things, and early progress has shown us that the game will look and feel very similar to the PC version. We might make a few minor adjustments to gameplay and of course controls but it will only be to enhance the experience for mobile platforms. Our overall goal is to still create both casual and hardcore experiences, no matter the platform. Most of the Warm Gun developers are or have been hardcore FPS gamers in their lifetime and it's only natural that we make what we love.
* Warm Gun is multiplayer only, but we will also have an offline mode with bots.
* We have always been powered by the Unreal Engine (since 2007).
* We have molotov cocktails and TNT! The 49er class wouldn't be complete without big explosions. (insider info - our Blacksmith fashioned his own grenades out of beer cans.)
* Each character has at least one primary weapon, one secondary weapon and one grenade type. For most characters we have a primary gun/secondary gun/melee/grenade setup (over 30 weapons).
* An important aspect we want to have with our maps is for them to be interactive. It doesn't necessarily mean the environments will always be destructible - sometimes the environments will provide players with benefits or a permanent or temporary change in gameplay in the map. We feel that while making holes in the ground or walls is very cool, its also very expensive and is being done by many other games. We're attempting to bring something a little different to the table.
* The maps won't be open-world. We plan on having several tight maps that are more familiar to the traditional first person shooter genre.

WG_DamIt_5.jpg

http://www.indiedb.com/games/warm-gun/news/warm-gun-showcase-dam-it

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=81010

Tobor

numble said:

Well, yeah, if they sold all the content as in app purchases, sure. But you really think Sony is going to give 30% to Apple? How do they convince third parties to let them sell their PS1 titles that way? Why wouldn't Capcom or anybody else sell the games themselves?

Sony went Android so they can take their own 30%. I just don't see it. Maybe if it's just the first party stuff from Suite. And I still don't see MS letting them within a 10 mile radius of WP7.

hyp

after seeing the horrendous on-screen controls in those early PS Suite games, sony can keep that shit.

i'm perfectly happy with the built-for iOS stuff.

numble

Tobor said:
Well, yeah, if they sold all the content as in app purchases, sure. But you really think Sony is going to give 30% to Apple? How do they convince third parties to let them sell their PS1 titles that way? Why wouldn't Capcom or anybody else sell the games themselves?

Sony went Android so they can take their own 30%. I just don't see it. Maybe if it's just the first party stuff from Suite. And I still don't see MS letting them within a 10 mile radius of WP7.
Eh, they're fine selling games to GameStop and retailers that take a big cut. EA and TellTale etc. have their own digital download stores but they still put stuff on Steam even though there is a big cut for Valve, sometimes you can get stuff cheaper on the developer's own store. GameLoft gives 30% of App Store revenues to Apple, but keeps 100% of Android game revenue (they run their own store), but that's not stopping them from releasing on iOS, they sometimes even charge more on Android. In other media, there is also multiple avenues for revenue in the same ecosystem: you can watch ABC tv episodes on Hulu+, the ABC Player app, or iTunes Store.

Tobor

numble said:
Eh, they're fine selling games to GameStop and retailers that take a big cut. EA and TellTale etc. have their own digital download stores but they still put stuff on Steam even though there is a big cut for Valve, sometimes you can get stuff cheaper on the developer's own store. GameLoft gives 30% of App Store revenues to Apple, but keeps 100% of Android game revenue (they run their own store), but that's not stopping them from releasing on iOS, they sometimes even charge more on Android. In other media, there is also multiple avenues for revenue in the same ecosystem: you can watch ABC tv episodes on Hulu+, the ABC Player app, or iTunes Store.
Fair enough. I can definitely see Sony releasing 1st party games that way, which as of this second is all Suite is anyway. I just question why anyone would sign up with them instead of releasing on the App Store directly. It would be like selling your games at a Sony branded store inside of a Gamestop.

Steam and the Mac App Store are good examples of exactly what you're talking about though, so we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom