• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with people watching the show (tried it out, was a little boring for myself) but I think these pictures with text on them will end up turning more people off then on to the show. Maybe it's just me because I've always disliked pics like that.

My other theory is people are trying to make the show seem even cuter to really mess with the haters.

KtSlime

ZealousD said:
I feel like I'm being sucked into a conversation that's getting more ridiculous by the minute.

I don't think that all five ponies unanimously agreeing that their dresses weren't up to snuff was at all believable. I'll leave it at that.

I thought all teenage female ponies are persnickety...

Dai101

Banned
RLdWS.png

Damn it, she went 100% DERP

mj1108 said:

No way man, the last time i ended wasting half day there ...

ZealousD said:
I feel like I'm being sucked into a conversation that's getting more ridiculous by the minute.

I don't think that all five ponies unanimously agreeing that their dresses weren't up to snuff was at all believable. I'll leave it at that.

Fluttershy obviously had something she was going for from the start, it makes perfect sense that Dash's and Pinkie's aesthetics would tend towards the gaudy and wouldn't like Rarity's more understated designs, Applejack wasn't too thrilled about the idea to start with for obvious reasons, and you haven't been hanging out with too many astronomy geeks (or geeks period) if you think Twilight's reaction was unbelievable.

Still, I'll note that to the extent that it's contrived, it's contrived in the service of setting up the central conflict of the episode (designer has to sacrifice her personal aesthetics and talent to meet the demands of her customers), not in the service of setting up the moral. If it was bad writing, it would be bad in exactly the same way a show that didn't end with morals would be.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Amibguous Cad said:
and you haven't been hanging out with too many astronomy geeks (or geeks period) if you think Twilight's reaction was unbelievable.

I am an astronomy geek. It's not their individual tastes I found unbelievable. It's the fact that they were so picky. Especially when Twilight and Apple Jack originally were just going to throw something on. That's what I found unbelievable.

Foxix Von

Re posting for a new page: These are all currently available avatars

Hno6o.jpg
UCid1.png
4XPrX.png
pJ9Ci.png

vty6r.png
mRqgY.jpg
9HJGY.gif
VSLUR.gif

unGTe.jpg
DrMU9.png
l4Zfy.jpg
Qqtbx.jpg

Gyipa.jpg
lX5vF.gif
P6dc8.jpg
Miz5x.jpg

xUCuT.png
QqbWs.png
krCMV.gif
XPkFe.gif

ZaNLR.jpg
A3fcv.jpg
wseHH.png
2A6rn.gif

uEayR.gif
6p6d4.png
Z2ItF.gif

It's hard for me to keep track of which ones are taken and which ones aren't. Every time I post a new batch people switch it around ^^; I'll do my best to keep this post up to date, if you take one or stop using one either notify me via pm or just post in the thread and I'll try and make the appropriate change :D

Also let me know if I goof up on this haha!~ As always please let me know if you would like any of these tweaked! I'll gladly adjust the speed speed, shift the center of the gif, or if you have a gif you'd like cropped I can do that for ya too!

KtSlime

ZealousD said:
I am an astronomy geek. It's not their individual tastes I found unbelievable. It's the fact that they were so picky. Especially when Twilight and Apple Jack originally were just going to throw something on. That's what I found unbelievable.

Lauren Faust might say:

This week, my talented friend Rarity learned that if you try to please everypony, you often times end up pleasing nopony...

Maybe she just can't please you.

Suairyu

Banned
So the new Pokémon game has this cute creature in it:

QZThU.gif

Pony fans should go get. It has electric and fire attacks.

6FtaW.png

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Amibguous Cad said:
For whatever reason, even though the attempts to redeem her are similarly contrived, and even though her Heel Face Turn in the pilot was somewhat unbelievable, I loves me some rediscovering-the-joy-of-the-world Luna.

Of course, how could I forget lil' Miss Moonshine herself. Surprisingly, I didn't find her face turn unbelievable; Her rampage just seemed to me like the kind of tantrum that a super-powered kid who had been grounded for 1000 years would make. Celestia, of course, knew all about what was going to happen in that particular night, and also knew what had to be arranged to bring her little sister back to her senses without having to send her to the moon again. After all, she had 1000 years to make preparations. We don't know what happened to Celestia during Nightmare Moon's appearance - as far as we know, she could just have amusedly watching from the sidelines, waiting for the pieces to come together by their own so that it wouldn't have to be her laying the smackdown on Luna, and only appearing when everything was over and all she had to say was "everything's gonna be alright." Poof, goes Luna's bitterness, replaced by shame.

But yeah, I REALLY want to see Luna again, but I have the feeling that it's only going to happen in the season finale. I only hope that she won't be made the big bad once again.

ivedoneyourmom said:
Besides this foal is a total nerd:

You got to love that. :lol

Twilight is my favorite. She's incredibly level-headed, but flawed all the same. Nervous breakdown Twilight in "Swarm of the Century" is one of the best moments in the series so far, IMHO. :)

Koomaster said:
Spike has a lot of funny lines and is generally likable. Probably followed by the big red dragon; and/or the purple dragon from the 1st episode.

If we are talking only ponies tho, probably Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo is nice, but she seems more in the background than the other CMC. And I have to be honest that Apple Bloom's accent grates on me. AppleJack's is softer, but hearing a kid voice do that is just too much.

People often forget Spike because of his non-ponyness, but he's great for what he is: sarcastic comic relief. Problem is, he's comic relief in a show where most of the main characters do even better comic relief, Pinkie Pie first and foremost. I'd really like to have an episode developing Spike's character, his origins and relation to Twilight.

As for the CMC's, if it is true that they will have their own spin-off show, they might end up not being developed to their full potential in the main show. Many people will be grateful for that, but I'm not one of them. Among the three, Apple Bloom is probably my favorite, because of the determination she showed us before joining her friends.

Koomaster

Myke Greywolf said:
As for the CMC's, if it is true that they will have their own spin-off show, they might end up not being develop to their full potential in the main show. Many people will be grateful for that, but I'm not one of them. Among the three, Apple Bloom is probably my favorite, because of the determination she showed us before joining her friends.
For me the determination came off as just little kid brattiness. At least at first it seemed she was more; 'Everyone else has this cool thing, I want one too, and I want it now, why can't I have it!'

Once she and the others formed the CMCs though, I think I can see it more as determination and working hard to get their cutie marks.

I wouldn't mind a few episodes/season devoted to them, so long as it was spread out. ^____^;;

Just read that whole tropes page, really interesting stuff. It also confirms that some of the writing is definitely intended for adults.

On an unrelated note, MLP in 1080p is insanely pretty.

Edit: Koomaster I love your rotating avatars ^.^

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Koomaster said:
For me the determination came off as just little kid brattiness. At least at first it seemed she was more; 'Everyone else has this cool thing, I want one too, and I want it now, why can't I have it!'

I was referring more to her attitude during "Bridle Gossip". :)

So I got around to watching the rest of the episodes and it is indeed quite enjoyable. I find myself cringing at the first couple seconds of the theme song but thankfully it changes its tune quickly.

Anyway, I hope this CMC business gets wrapped up with the quickness. They can be fun but I'd prefer that the focus stay on the main characters or even another secondary character like Big Mac. Actually, I'd love to see Big Mac get incorporated more.

Oh, and for those wondering, Scootaloo is NOT related to Rainbow Dash in any way. I'm glad Faust went that direction. Not everything has to tie into the main six.

From the horse's mouth.

DemiMatt

Foxix said:
Dude... Dude... Today is your lucky day. I was gonna put this off for a couple more pages and make a couple more but since you asked so nicely...

Foxix's avatar wholesale blowout is today!

You want them? Well guess who's got them?! Everything must gooooooooo!!!!!

NiLuT.gif

Good lord sir, you are a god amongst men! I'm only sad I was moving all weekend and missed your post!
Thanks!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I was torn up earlier today due to having a pet having some issues. While everything was happening, for some reason I clicked on this thread again.

I decided to watch it from the beginning, and now I have to honestly say...

I feel better. Confound these ponies.

Confused101 said:
So I got around to watching the rest of the episodes and it is indeed quite enjoyable. I find myself cringing at the first couple seconds of the theme song but thankfully it changes its tune quickly.

Anyway, I hope this CMC business gets wrapped up with the quickness. They can be fun but I'd prefer that the focus stay on the main characters or even another secondary character like Big Mac. Actually, I'd love to see Big Mac get incorporated more.

Oh, and for those wondering, Scootaloo is NOT related to Rainbow Dash in any way. I'm glad Faust went that direction. Not everything has to tie into the main six.

From the horse's mouth.

I don't have the screencap (you can look on fyre-flye's DeviantArt if you want), but I know Faust later on in that conversation said that there is some sort of connection between Dash and Scoot... they're just not related by blood. Fingers crossed this has something to do with the Junior Speedsters!

Uchip said:
maybe i should watch another episode of this show.... *shifty eyes*
the animation is too crisp

I also wasn't 100% impressed with the pilot episodes. I watched them, decided that while the show wasn't the standard girly schlock, it also wasn't worth the love, and set it aside. Then I had insomnia a few weeks later, had nothing to do, and really started to enjoy it.

I'd say that if you're still bored by ep 4, the series isn't for you. If you want to put the best foot forward, try ep 14- the Art of the Dress or ep 16- Sonic Rainboom, but I'd suggest at least getting the characterization from the pilot and the third episode which establishes the characters pretty well.

a74c6a033688583e4ffda5d837916040-d3a4u5i.png

Zomba13

Suairyu said:
So the new Pokémon game has this cute creature in it:

QZThU.gif

Pony fans should go get. It has electric and fire attacks.
I named mine Derpy Hoof (Derpy Hooves and DerpyHooves wouldn't fit).

KtSlime

Amibguous Cad said:
I also wasn't 100% impressed with the pilot episodes. I watched them, decided that while the show wasn't the standard girly schlock, it also wasn't worth the love, and set it aside. Then I had insomnia a few weeks later, had nothing to do, and really started to enjoy it.

I'd say that if you're still bored by ep 4, the series isn't for you. If you want to put the best foot forward, try ep 14- the Art of the Dress or ep 16- Sonic Rainboom, but I'd suggest at least getting the characterization from the pilot and the third episode which establishes the characters pretty well.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/053/a/7/a74c6a033688583e4ffda5d837916040-d3a4u5i.png

I love Sonic Rainboom! Great Episode. Made the series about 20% cooler.

Uchip

Banned
sonic rainboom was entertaining i guess
despite being a fan of cute/funny talking animals and stuff (ie. jungle emperor leo) I still cant watch more than one episode of MLP at a time
i love tezukas stuff because the shows/comics have actual plot though

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Is there already an avatar gif for this part?
pzC9C.png

Just saw it and I was cracking up. After everything I went through today I would happily have that as an avatar.

Also I just got scolded by a friend. Heh.

Foxix Von

RiccochetJ said:
Is there already an avatar gif for this part?
pzC9C.png

Just saw it and I was cracking up. After everything I went through today I would happily have that as an avatar.

Also I just got scolded by a friend. Heh.

Either of these ok?

x6WA2.gif
yVCyJ.gif

EDIT: Better not have been scolding you over ponies. *shakes fist*

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Foxix said:
Either of these ok?

EDIT: Better not have been scolding you over ponies. *shakes fist*

Perfect! Thank you! Oh my god what have I d...
One of us. One of us.

Yes it was about ponies, but I convinced him to check it out with his son. We will spread the word!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Amibguous Cad said:
This video wins the friggin' Internet.

I cracked at "Their twilight campaign is easy to explain", before losing it completely at the last word.

To be 101% perfect, one would only have to substitute "mousy" with "pony".

Vox-Pop said:
I kinda don't want to see it because i know i will like it. i'm not ready yet...
F3mZp.jpg

Also: it starts.

LqrJj.jpg

TROLLS: THESE ARE NOT THE FURRIES YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. Anyway, IMHO, pretty cool looking cosplay.

That Pinkie and the Brain video is amazing. Where are people getting the HD footage free of watermarks though? Was going to take a crack at making a couple DJ P0N3 videos. Would be nice to have some high quality watermark-less footage to use.

Speaking of which, this "PMV" is pretty awesome. Syncs up incredibly well too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irQ_d78feMA

Oh and here's something interesting. Don't think it was posted here yet, it's a little chart showing an "evolution" of the character design. The ponies' G1 and original animation designs, Lauren Faust's original sketches and their final designs.

http://i.imgur.com/TdsgH.jpg

And hurrah at first Derpy cosplay. Freakin' adorable.

Koomaster

Amibguous Cad said:
Wow! That would certainly make for an interesting crossover. Someone should do this with an entire episode of P&tB.

Also Rainbow Dash definitely ended up 20% cooler from Faust's original sketches.

Edit: Don't even know what to say to Derpy Cosplay. I love these ponies a lot but man, the fandom is going out of control. I fear for everyone involved when there is a break between season 1 and 2. The fanbase is gonna be ravenous!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Koomaster said:
Edit: Don't even know what to say to Derpy Cosplay. I love these ponies a lot but man, the fandom is going out of control. I fear for everyone involved when there is a break between season 1 and 2. The fanbase is gonna be ravenous!

I hardly think that cosplay is synonymous with the fandom going out of control... nobody seems to think of that when they're drooling over hot cosplayer chicks in the cosplay thread, anyway.

It's all just good fun, if you can avoid delving into drama territory (yeah, I'm in contact with my local cosplay subculture, although I only did it once).

Anyway, some people are saying that the 1080p download for 1.18 is now available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom