• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Anyway let's keep on-topic. As for closing, I prefer this over this (the left is a kemono and the right is the typical cutesy furry).

Let's talk about the next ep! How come owls just appeared next ep?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
tiff said:
I'm not hating, just saying!
And my post wasn't aiming at you, but at the opinion of the rest of GAF. Sorry if it came out wrong. :)

Ookami-kun said:
Let's talk about the next ep! How come owls just appeared next ep?
We haven't seen a lot of night-time action in the series so far, have we?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
One more Pony Rainbow Dash had an impact on.

7078+-+derpy_hooves+Doctor_Whoof+madmax+sonic_rainboom.png

Nishastra

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
We haven't seen a lot of night-time action in the series so far, have we?
First two episodes, Look Before You Sleep, and Stare Master come to mind. Look Before You Sleep is all indoors, though.

o12Q0l.jpg

This is the kind of night-time action I want. Can't wait for season 2... :p

NEO0MJ

Nishastra said:
It wouldn't be right if she was ever anything else :p

Edit: Also, the Pegasus Pinkie auction went up last night, and is already at $1430.

Part of me hopes that one day an episode dedicated soley for the time travling misadventures of Dr.Whoof and Derpy will air.
Also, damn at that auction. Wouldn't surprise me if it tops 10 grand.

Nishastra

Banned
NEO0MJ said:
Part of me hopes that one day an episode dedicated soley for the time travling misadventures of Dr.Whoof and Derpy will air.
While Derpy became "canon", I'm quite sure that the Doctor never will :p

karby said:
Not sure if this has been posted already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzPSdMh84Ug

I think it's good, but it sounds incomplete somehow. The guy did say that he had some trouble finishing it, though.
I like it, but yeah. Like he says, the ending is weak. It feels like there should be something there after all the build-up.

Luna better be at the god damn Grand Galloping Gala. Period. I'm not even gonna say what I'll do if she's not because it's just too heinous.

She. Better. Be there.

5m7Jq.png

Mirimar said:

That's actually Twi's voice actor. She did Toot and the Princess on Drawn Together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wGO51Kjl2s

duckroll said:
So there are no more good eps until the finale in 2 weeks? :(

We get to see an ep where Pinkie might get some characterization beyond being crazy, so that's something.

I'm sad we don't get to see this in the owl episode

BQWeq.jpg

Confused101 said:
Luna better be at the god damn Grand Galloping Gala. Period. I'm not even gonna say what I'll do if she's not because it's just too heinous.

She. Better. Be there.

Prepare to be disappointed. Word of god says we won't see her until season 2.

Nishastra

Banned
meltingparappa said:
Someone did a great job repainting this. I hope they repaint their Celestia as well.
Yes. I desperately want one of those. I guess I should learn how to paint models and do up my Celestia like that :p

I also like this little Nightmare Moon.

WqQWQl.jpg

I bet we'd see a lot more high-quality repaints for Lyra, Luna, Trixie, Bonbon or Derpy if the plastic mold toys weren't so rare/expensive.

Painting around the hair on that nightmare moon must have been a pain, particularly if someone is using an airbrush or spraypaint instead of a brush.

Ikael

ruby_onix said:
She's kind of a racist redneck.

*Essay about equestrian race relationships *

Pff, that's oversimplifying. Modern academics gives an entirely different perspective onto the whole pony relationship development of the recent years, which becomes entirely different if yout take in account the turbulent centuries of Equestrian history.

Earth ponies were the original race from which derivated the rest. Needless to say, their lack of manual ability made it impossible for equestrians to develope a sedentary society, most of them living on nomadic herds and tribal clans with warring factions fighting each other. With time, the clans started to develope a shamanic upper caste. Said caste quickly realized that they needed to develope an stable source of food and agriculture, and that said goal couldn't be archieved unless they would gain manual skill like their pernnial nemesis, the dragons. That soon leaded towards an "arm race" towards the developement of telekinetic abilities. Most of the dettails of that process are are still shrouded on myth and oral tradition, but there's a common theme among every Equestrian legend about a certain mystic order of shamans called "life weavers" that were able to manipulate the descendancy and dna of the ponies in order to archive their goal.

That was the origin of the unicorns, and started both the sedentarism and thus, the development of the equestrian culture (remembered trough the "Winter wrap up" tradition) but it also started the deep equestrian racial divide. The creation of a sub - race with inheritable skills quickly devolved into a caste onto itself. The power and political influence of the Life weavers soon receeded in favour of the proto - burgeois class of Unicorn artisans, which hold the virtual monopoly onto every tertiary activity sector, from accounting to clothing. The Life weavers last ditch effort into rettaning their power was the creation of yet another sub race of ponies, the pegasus, designed to work at weather control in order to increase the yield of the crops... and to create an economic sector that could be off limits to the increasingly influential unicorns. It was not a coincidence that after the birth of the pegasus sub race, the life weavers misteriously "disappeared". It was not a "mistery", but there are several evidences and historic studies that points out to an organized series of pogroms and political persecutions carried out by the unicorn elites, which edicted laws and edicts aimed to disband and curb both the use of magic by earth ponies and the very existence of the mystic orders of "Life weavers".

After that silent (and silenced) coup d'etat, the unicorns devolved into a caste unto theirselves. Albeit they tried to keep an apparience of an early republic (presenting theirselves as a more kind of benign and egalitarian rulers than the former shamanic caste) it turned out they monopolized almost every single position of finances and senatorial seats. As the racial riots got each time stronger and the segreagation became more and more apparent (Cloudsdale, first a meteorologic outpost, then a"pegasus only" city being a prime example of said segregation), the unicorn elites found what they exactly needed to keep the country united without giving up their privileges: a war against an external enemy. A border incident involving a sleeping dragon was used as a casius belli for the start of the "Dragon wars" (take note that the Dragon historicians still call these wars the "Unicorn wars"). The conflict was long and costly, keeping social cohesion at the cost of blood and treasury, killing almost the entirety of the male equestrian population, creating a demographic imbalance that persist even nowadays.

The war stopped due to attrition, not conviction, and as soon as it ended the racial conficts began anew, even more virulently than before. Masses of earth ponies and pegasus rebelled against their unicorn senators, and the republic was brought to a bloody end. The dragons, thirsy for vengeance for the past agression wars, profitted from the turmoil in the from of territorial gains, expelling the exhausted equestrians to the outskirts of the Everfree Forest. In the middle of that power vaccuum, a populist, yet cunning and ruthless leader rose up: Celestia the first. She rose up amidst the chaos of the post unicorn repubilc era promising two things: the end of the dragon agression, and the end of the non - unicorn discrimination.

She was a strange mix: she came from the senatorial unicorn ruling caste, yet she sided clearly with the anti - apartheid activists, in part due to the suspiction that she didn't had a "pure enough blood" to be among the unicorn elite (note her pegasus wings). She soon realized that for equestria to prevail she would need to meet a an end to the racial divide... even if that end would imply using any mean. She created a personal, fanatical guard, and used the Equestrian religion and traditions to secure her authority (the more backward, redneck regions of Equestria still believe that she makes the sun rise, a belief that it is being inoculated since primary school).

Segregationists started to "dissappear", combining a public speech of tolerance among races with a shadowy brutal crackdown of every dissident political faction. A master of propaganda, she modified her appearance to appeal to every racial base of equestria, adopting the role of "the mother of every pony": she was at the same time a unicorn (horn), a pegasi (wings), and an earth pony (hoofs). The message was subtle: there was no need for political representation because she represented every race onto herself. The most fiercely opposition was leaded by her sister Luna, a sub faction of the anti segregationists that belief that segregation could be ended trough democratic means, and despised the totalitarian path of Celestia. They suffered a more bening, albeit sever fate than the other political factions: they were banished onto "The moon" (read: putted in jail) for centuries instead of just disappearing.

Once the internal opposition was quelled, she was able to obtain a better treaty with the dragons, trought a subsidiary system of vassal states: Equestria would pay taxes to the dragon realms, the dragon realms would give in exchange a hostage, a member of the royal dragon family to act as a guarantee that the peace would be preserved and that there would be no further land grabbing.

The Celestia dynasty proved to be a stable form of goverment, and albeit Celestia ruled with iron grip, she also was committed to nation building. She instaurated a confuncian system of disciples and students trough whole country in order to develope an efficient bureucratic sytem, and focused a great part of her discourse onto easing race relationships among the different equestrians (hence the "friendship is magic" motto that appears on the Equestrian coins and almost every official state building). As more of a recent development, she eased the political liberties, allowing the releaseof the Luna faction political prisioners, and many analysts and Equestrian observers points out to her appointment of Twilight Sparkle as her (possible) heir and her training as a sign of the starting of a more aperturistic foreign policy, ordering her disciple to create a task force that would contain pegasus, land ponies and unicorns, and appointing them to administrative tasks in a frontier outpost called Poneyville, where it is more frequent for them to interact with different races other than ponies. Only time will tell if these good - willed efforts will be able to ease a history of racial conflict that runs deep withing equestrian society. Applejack's attitude is kind of understandable, under this light.

Yes, I was having a very boring day
also, that was the backstory of one alien race in one novel that I was writting, but it fitted so well within this context :p

Amibguous Cad said:
Prepare to be disappointed. Word of god says we won't see her until season 2.
Well, Faust actually elaborated on what she meant and this is now indeed true. At first she just declined a Luna episode. Which to me meant that an appearance was possible. I just found the quote where she debunked that completely.

My response:

S7sdAl.jpg

Boss Doggie

I'm still sort of confused since you'd think owls would be known to the people of Ponyville.

Also how come people wouldn't want to attend a Pinky Pie party? Isn't making parties one of her fortes?

Uchip said:
so you want to be called the japanese word for beast?
okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay....

It's the term used by Japanese to refer to anthros (it's actually a shortened term of kemono-obito). it's kinda like how furry literally just means "someone who is full of fur". Unlike English speakers though, they are definite that catgirls ain't kemono (they're kemonomimi).

2th

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
2th still wants to kill you, anyway. That's not very brony-like, if you ask me.
MPuxLm.jpg

Brony-like or not. ALL FURRIES MUST DIE. And they must die horrible horrible deaths. Preferably by burning them in the suits they wear so as to kill two birds with one stone.

I am a Hate Pony... deal with it.

Nishastra

Banned
Luna ought to be pretty angry at this point. Her reason for going Nightmare Moon hasn't been resolved at all, and her loving sister banished her for 1000 years and then engineered her defeat at the hooves of Twilight immediately upon her return.

Then Celestia walks up and is all, "Hello, sister. We should rule together again~!"

If I were Luna, I'd certainly resent Celestia for all that :p

However, the only hateful character so far remains Gilda, and she's not a pony.

Edit: Not that I think that Luna will actually be angry at all whenever she reappears :p

shaowebb

New VCcats is MLP FiM themed. It goes into how Scott Ramsoomair feels about the Cutie Mark Crusaders, since they seem to have the worst episodes and detract from the rest of the cast too much.

110418.jpg

I like the Cutie Mark Crusaders.I lol-ed anyway.

OMG Aero

Krauser Kat said:
so my wife is gonna be at acen this year and she is thinking of making some shirts (she works at a screen printer). Which design do you like more. One or Two
That Rainbow Dash quote is getting overplayed, I say one.
Also Twilight is better

Foxix Von

meltingparappa said:
The rainbow dash quote seems MUCH easier to wear in public, though I like the twilight colors.

Basically the exact same thing I'm thinking. I like the twilight one but I doubt I would actually wear it much/if at all due to the profanity (weird considering I swear like a sailor). The Rainbow Dash one though, that's a keeper.

Also I really like the little bronies logo on the sleeve.

Nishastra said:
Luna ought to be pretty angry at this point. Her reason for going Nightmare Moon hasn't been resolved at all, and her loving sister banished her for 1000 years and then engineered her defeat at the hooves of Twilight immediately upon her return.

Then Celestia walks up and is all, "Hello, sister. We should rule together again~!"

If I were Luna, I'd certainly resent Celestia for all that :p

However, the only hateful character so far remains Gilda, and she's not a pony.

Edit: Not that I think that Luna will actually be angry at all whenever she reappears :p
She got banished because, like her sister she's got godlike power, and went nuts.

Ookami-kun said:
I wonder if it's another pony?
Trixie's revenge. After being completely humiliated in Ponyville, Trixie devotes her time to becoming the most powerful unicorn in all of Equestria. She becomes mad with power and poses a threat to the entire kingdom. Once again, Celestia calls on Twilight and her friends to wield the Elements of Harmony and break the chains of Trixie's insanity. But when Fluttershy gets turned into a tree, it seems all hope is lost for the gang to complete the ritual.

Or maybe Twilight goes all Phoenix again and Celestia has to step in along with the others and lay some serious friendship down on her.

Speaking of Celestia, do you guys ever think we'll ever get to see her unleash some of her true power? She's obviously no slouch in the magic department and her subjects definitely fear her wrath. She appears to be a benevolent ruler but there's no doubt that she will go to extreme lengths to punish someone if she's pushed too far.

Look people, the magic of friendship made it possible for a VGCats comic to exist that has an actual punchline and an appropriate number of panels!

I wouldn't have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.

Boss Doggie

Confused101 said:
Trixie's revenge. After being completely humiliated in Ponyville, Trixie devotes her time to becoming the most powerful unicorn in all of Equestria. She becomes mad with power and poses a threat to the entire kingdom. Once again, Celestia calls on Twilight and her friends to wield the Elements of Harmony and break the chains of Trixie's insanity. But when Fluttershy gets turned into a tree, it seems all hope is lost for the gang to complete the ritual.

That... should be adequate. But then Trixie fans will try to excuse her!

velvet_nitemare said:
I wondered where all those pony avatars came from.

The OP has link to avatars, but I think they're animated.

Ookami-kun said:

It's the friendship. We even give the villains the benefit of the doubt! (ignore the trollestia and lolmagichitler speculation)

Foxix Von

Ookami-kun said:

The OP has link to avatars, but I think they're animated.

I fixed that a little after Evilore worked his dark magics.

It's now only static avatars and I keep it updated with avatars the community has been making.

Nishastra

Banned
Confused101 said:
Speaking of Celestia, do you guys ever think we'll ever get to see her unleash some of her true power?
Celestia seems to be absurdly powerful.

She controls the movement of the sun, which is crazy enough by itself, but...

When Luna, who controls the moon, tried to take over, Celestia was able to not only seal her in the moon but also take over control of the moon herself.

So obviously her power isn't limited to sun control, and controlling both the sun and moon for 1000 years was no problem for her.

In other words, I can hardly imagine what would require her to use her "true" power :p

FoxSpirit

Foxix said:
Pack it up bronies, our work is done. There's no one left to recruit now.

All that's left to do now is eagerly await a Weird Al MLP song parody.

OMG!! But which one? Art of the dress? That would be a double spoof :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom