• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

LevelNth

Banned
On Sega's twitter at Sonic Boom right now Iizuka has confirmed a demo for Generations coming soon, and Senoue is/was on stage playing tunes from Sonic 4 Episode 2.

Teknoman

LevelNth said:
On Sega's twitter at Sonic Boom right now Iizuka has confirmed a demo for Generations coming soon, and Senoue is/was on stage playing tunes from Sonic 4 Episode 2.

Man those Episode 2 tunes and gameplay better be off the charts after Generations. Here hoping the demo hits soon.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Dark Schala said:
I never really paid attention to the ranking screen before, but damn Classic Sonic's mannerisms are so adorable.
classicsonic_s_rank_027hni.gif

Foffy

Banned
LevelNth said:

Why're they announcing a demo now? Do they want people to get a super early test for fan feedback?

Also, nice to see Sonic 4: Episode 2 confirmation from someone involved. Is that coming out at all this year?

spidye said:
so cuuuute

Holy cripes, it really is like some window into an alternate reality where 2006 never happened. It's going to make me so sad if what Aaron hinted at was true, that (from the way I interpreted it) getting Sega to use Classic Sonic for a game at all was an uphill battle, and won't be allowed again after Generations. This is a one-time thing.

A glorious, adorably-animated one-time thing. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Catalix said:
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I could watch that all day. That's so CUTE! :3

I want my Classic Sonic plushie NOW. What an adorable model and animation! If GAF still supported gifs as avatars, I'd want this one. Ah well.

I wonder if he does something different if you don't do well?

Sciz

Kulock said:
Holy cripes, it really is like some window into an alternate reality where 2006 never happened. It's going to make me so sad if what Aaron hinted at was true, that (from the way I interpreted it) getting Sega to use Classic Sonic for a game at all was an uphill battle, and won't be allowed again after Generations. This is a one-time thing.

Sega follows the money. If this sells like crazy and the feedback is that everyone loves having Classic Sonic back, it won't be the last we see of him.

celebi23

Kulock said:

Seriously? Hopefully the reaction Classic Sonic is getting will change their minds. Who am I kidding, this is Sega we're talking about :(

RagnarokX

Instant spindash and uncurling still in this :(.

Looks great. Can't wait.

Guy said players might notice hints of other levels in the demos. Sonic 2 springboards are in City Escape. Those were fairly prevalent in Chemical Plant, Aquatic Ruin, and Mystic Cave from my memory.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sciz said:
Sega follows the money. If this sells like crazy and the feedback is that everyone loves having Classic Sonic back, it won't be the last we see of him.
I have to wonder if SEGA will find it feasible to have a "main" Sonic series (that is, the Modern set of games) and then the "gaiden" games (or if we'd rather, "Retro Sonic" series of games)? If so, I wonder if the Modern games would be at retail and the Retro Sonic games would be downloadable?

There are a lot of options available to SEGA if this proves to be a success. I wonder what qualifies as a "financial success" to SEGA to allow Classic Sonic to return just for the older fans' sake? I wonder if a lot of older fans will even show up to the main event.

...I can't stop grinning at the gif. Seriously. :D

RagnarokX said:

Looks great. Can't wait.

Guy said players might notice hints of other levels in the demos. Sonic 2 springboards are in City Escape. Those were fairly prevalent in Chemical Plant, Aquatic Ruin, and Mystic Cave from my memory.
Am I alone when it comes to hating this stage?

Maybe not "hate," but I really don't like playing in that level.

RagnarokX

Professor Beef said:
Am I alone when it comes to hating this stage?

Maybe not "hate," but I really don't like playing in that level.
Hate? It's not a particularly fond stage but there's nothing wrong with it. It had that cool part where you could make a pendulum break and turn into a raft. The boss is harder for Knuckles since he can't jump very high.

RagnarokX said:

Looks great. Can't wait.

Uncurling is only in the 3DS one. Instant spindash doesn't have to be used (and isn't in the 3DS one).

RagnarokX

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Uncurling is only in the 3DS one. Instant spindash doesn't have to be used (and isn't in the 3DS one).
No, I saw uncurling in the Classic Sonic City Escape video: Sonic coming out of spin after rolling for a few seconds. I guess you have to hold down if you want to stay curled for longer.

RagnarokX said:
No, I saw uncurling in the Classic Sonic City Escape video: Sonic coming out of spin after rolling for a few seconds. I guess you have to hold down if you want to stay curled for longer.
Well it's not in the Green Hill Zone anymore. Not sure what's up with that then.

isny

napkin dispenser
Well it's not in the Green Hill Zone anymore. Not sure what's up with that then.

Just different builds.

Nice to know we'll be getting Sonic 4 Episode 2 AND Generations all within the next year =D

Stinkdog

Neo Member
I can't believe Sega has actually managed to get me hyped for a new Sonic game. >_> Generations had better not disappoint.

Yes it is. He doesn't uncurl when coming off a quarterpipe anymore, but he definitely LOSES momentum when rolling, when he should be gaining momentum, and it forces him into a run on the twist-tracks too.

Uncurling is still there and I also have no idea what it is about the level design of this City Escape that has people so hyped. It looks about as much fun as jamming my dick in the oven. Looks more akin to an Unleashed 2D section of gameplay than anything 'classic' in nature.

daffy

Banned
I had an orgasm of the mind when I saw classic Sonic City Escape. They did that level perfectly. Demo should be pretty awesome. That $50 is a nice coup as well.

Foffy

Banned
FTH said:
I had an orgasm of the mind when I saw classic Sonic City Escape. They did that level perfectly. Demo should be pretty awesome. That $50 is a nice coup as well.

Woashit. They're really charging only $50? Awesome.

Foffy said:
Woashit. They're really charging only $50? Awesome.
Multi-plat Sonic games seem to be $10 below the average (Unleashed 360/PS3 was $50 at launch, Unleashed Wii was $40, PS2 was $30).

Console exclusive Sonics (like Colors) seem to buck that though.

RobbieNick

Fuck you Club Nokia security. Seriously. Basically, they invited me to Sonic Boom, put me in VIP which is a dark lounge to hang out in while everything else happens downstairs. They REFUSED to let me downstairs and I missed over half the concert and event trying to get in to the main part where my friends were. I made it 2 hours after the event was going by taking my badge off and going in without a ticket. I'm seriously pissed.

Tizoc

The demo had better not just be Green Hill zone, lol.
Make it 2 stages for both Classic and Modern Sonic plz.

DeVeAn

So just got back. Demo was good but the ps3 especially needs polish. The entire floor turned invisible while a dude played modern Sonic. The 3D for this game is terrible. Classic plays nothing like sonic 4 and is very close to Sonic 3 style. The are a couple of auto-pilot parts though. They changed the buttons for modern Sonic it's back to A>A to do homing attacks not A>X. No bottomless pits to be found, framerate was janky but, that should be fixed.

I got to take a picture with Yuji Naka and got his autograph pretty neat. Also there was no Sonic 4 ep2 music it was just splash hill. They did confirm a demo Of generations though so everyone will get a taste of the game.

Tizoc said:
The demo had better not just be Green Hill zone, lol.
Make it 2 stages for both Classic and Modern Sonic plz.
It'll probably be modern and classic Green Hill. It's easily the most iconic.

Music for City Escape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmGyLyZORI0

Guessing it's the "classic" version because that's what's on the jumbotron. Also, Endless Mine from Sonic 3 is mixed in with it for the second verse, which is fucking rad.

OMG Aero

Aaron Strife said:

Music for City Escape:

Guessing it's the "classic" version because that's what's on the jumbotron. Also, Endless Mine from Sonic 3 is mixed in with it for the second verse, which is fucking rad.
So good.
I can't wait for more modern versions of Mega Drive level music and classic versions of modern level music.

Teknoman

DeVeAn said:
So just got back. Demo was good but the ps3 especially needs polish. The entire floor turned invisible while a dude played modern Sonic. The 3D for this game is terrible. Classic plays nothing like sonic 4 and is very close to Sonic 3 style. The are a couple of auto-pilot parts though. They changed the buttons for modern Sonic it's back to A>A to do homing attacks not A>X. No bottomless pits to be found, framerate was janky but, that should be fixed.

I got to take a picture with Yuji Naka and got his autograph pretty neat. Also there was no Sonic 4 ep2 music it was just splash hill. They did confirm a demo Of generations though so everyone will get a taste of the game.

3D as in 3D glasses?

Aaron Strife said:

Music for City Escape:

It's just perfect. Wow.

This game is just too good to be true, I can't believe how well every element is just meshing. (just fix that bounce heighhhtttt come onnnnn)

DeVeAn said:

Did the 360 had better graphics?

Aaron Strife said:

Hahaha, that's both awesome and nerdy as fuck. I guess a lot of things are like that nowadays though, haha

Hearing that Classic Sonic plays like Sonic 3 is very interesting. Dunno how to feel about the Classic Sonic portion of City Escape, it looked OK but nothing like a classic Sonic stage in parts- perhaps that's just because it's the logical evolution of what Sonic would be like nowadays if they never stopped making the Mega Drive style game? I dunno. Looks cool still.

Gagaman

Willy105 said:
Also, the 2D version seems better to me, the 3D version seems really linear, way more than the original.
Sonic Adventure 2 City Escape was extremely linear, there was barely any alternate paths. It was fun, but yeah you it very much just moving forward and barely any open spaces.

celebi23 said:
Seriously? Hopefully the reaction Classic Sonic is getting will change their minds. Who am I kidding, this is Sega we're talking about :(

I like this idea. If Sonic Colors shows that SEGA are getting smarter, and that they truly are listening to consumer feedback, maybe this will be the last 'test' before Sonic [the real Sonic] comes back for real.

nns3d

SidVicious said:
I like this idea. If Sonic Colors shows that SEGA are getting smarter, and that they truly are listening to consumer feedback, maybe this will be the last 'test' before Sonic [the real Sonic] comes back for real.

Well, if they were willing to give Shadow his own game due to fan-feedback, I can't see why they wouldn't bring back Classic Sonic.

Willy105 said:
Also, the 2D version seems better to me, the 3D version seems really linear, way more than the original.

On the other hand, I think the 3D version seems way less linear than the original. Framing through the video, you can see a lot of alternate pathways.

nKDhu.jpg

This orange launch ring shoots Sonic up to a path on the right, which leads to more launch rings further down the road that throw you to an even higher path on the left, which seems to chain in to a grind rail that continues above the current path all the way down the street boarding section.

uPRhs.jpg

Miss the ramp here, and looks like there's a pathway leading off to the left. Note the grind rail shadow on the street here - that's the rail leading from the path I mentioned above.

fS1oE.jpg

Hit the ramp, land on the grind rail. Looks like you might be able to jump off the rail and take another street path to the right.

wCq8i.jpg

More launch rings on the right for a separate upper path, which appears to wind around on top of lower path - but the upper path has less enemies, more rings, and a trick launcher.

BHJcs.jpg

Launch rings hidden in the trees on the upper left leading to another path.

G5aTw.jpg

Miss a jump here and it looks like there's a lower path with a bottomless pit indicator under the building.

ryYzh.jpg

Sonic Adventure 2 never let Sonic explore spaces THIS wide open.

And that's just in the first half of the stage. :p

RobbieNick

DeVeAn said:
So just got back. Demo was good but the ps3 especially needs polish.

Yea. 360 version plays much smoother and doesn't have the jittery framerate. I can't believe I missed the Episode 2 music! :,(

Top Bottom