• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
RobbieNick said:
Yea. 360 version plays much smoother and doesn't have the jittery framerate. I can't believe I missed the Episode 2 music! :,(
Seems just like Sonic Unleashed then. The 360 version ran much smoother (though it still had a fair amount of slowdown).

TreIII

Stinkdog said:
I can't believe Sega has actually managed to get me hyped for a new Sonic game. >_> Generations had better not disappoint.

I hear ya. Classic Sonic FTW. And even the 3D sections don't look bad.

Sega1991 said:
alternate paths
Wow, this actually sort of has me hopeful for Modern Sonic's gameplay.

I'm surprised at how well they managed to translate City Escape into a sidescrolling stage for Classic Sonic, too.

Raisins_Face.jpg

J@hranimo

Banned
So the City Escape gameplay is phenomenal! Cannot wait for this game now. Hype is actually at a safe level. When the demo finally comes out I'm going to experiment with it so much. I really hope they get physics and momentum right. It's looking good so far but a hands-on feel is definitely what we as a community needs.

It would be so appropriate if it comes out on June 23rd :)

SykoTech

Willy105 said:
the 3D version seems really linear, way more than the original.

I haven't watched the footage, but that sounds impossible to me. Especially after seeing the pictures Sega 1991 posted.

Interesting to hear that they played Episode 2 tunes, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it. Sonic 4 needs a major overhaul to gain my attention.

Suairyu

Banned
Guys, I...

It's too late. I'm hyped. I (thankfully, as I didn't like it) get hyped for Sonic Colours, but I'm full on hyped for this game now. It looks like everything I could ever want from a Sonic game. Sonic The Hedgehog the character (insane speed levels) and Sonic The Hedgehog the reality (tight platforming 2D levels).

It's happening with the new SSX, as well. Also, the new Zelda looks remarkably lovely.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SKYRIM LOOKS TO BE AN ELDER SCROLLS GAME WORTHY OF THE NAME

... nostalgia is going to destroy me this holiday season :(

Whiny nitpick, but I miss the classic points system for taking down the robots. A fully fledged modern points system like Colours does would also be very welcome.

Teknoman

Did anyone manage to hear episode 2 music?

EDIT: Looking at this footage again, they could've just made Classic Sonic stages and the game would've sold boatloads. Its got classic Sonic's charm, yet modern Sonic style set pieces/action that modern Sonic fans get hyped about.

I guess having two games in one isnt anything to complain about. Either way, thats how Sonic 4 music should've sounded, instead of trying to make fake retro stuff.

Sciz

Teknoman said:
Either way, thats how Sonic 4 music should've sounded, instead of trying to make fake retro stuff.
The problem isn't the faux retro approach so much as the fact that Senoue is really bad at it.

SykoTech

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Looking at this footage again, they could've just made Classic Sonic stages and the game would've sold boatloads. Its got classic Sonic's charm, yet modern Sonic style set pieces/action that modern Sonic fans get hyped about.

Just imagine if Classic Sonic here is the reveal for Sonic 4 was like. Oh man, everyone would have been hyped through the roof.

Kulock said:
Holy cripes, it really is like some window into an alternate reality where 2006 never happened. It's going to make me so sad if what Aaron hinted at was true, that (from the way I interpreted it) getting Sega to use Classic Sonic for a game at all was an uphill battle, and won't be allowed again after Generations. This is a one-time thing.

A glorious, adorably-animated one-time thing. :(

I can't see it being a one-time thing if this game sells more than any recent Sonic game. That seems like a real possibility since old Sonic fans are actually excited for it while the newer fans are going to buy it like they do with every Sonic game.

It's still pretty sad that we're even at a point where Sega doesn't want to use the Classic Sonic model. Everything about that model seems much more appealing than the modern one.

JonCha

Which is why it's puzzling considering they've done it so well up to this point.

Is there a link to that post by the wya?

SykoTech

I don't know. Sega tends to continue what pleases people nowadays.

People hated Sonic's friends, so they made things Sonic only for a while now.
The Unleashed gameplay got a lot of praise, so they've continued to use it.
They've been embracing Sonic's colorful/cartoony roots consistently since Unleashed.
Hell, they even got new voice actors because people hated 4Kids.

I just don't see them locking Classic Sonic away forever after all the praise they've gotten for bringing him back. I mean, just look at that Facebook poll from earlier. Making this Classic Sonic's final appearance would be the dumbest move ever.

If they have any sense, they'd take the MegaMan route. Give Classic Sonic his own games so he can exist along side the Modern one.

DeVeAn

RobbieNick said:
Yea. 360 version plays much smoother and doesn't have the jittery framerate. I can't believe I missed the Episode 2 music! :,(
The 360 demo felt more responsive. I don't remember him playing episode 2 music I think someone is misinformed. I never heard it and I was there the entire time.

SolidSnakex said:
I can't see it being a one-time thing if this game sells more than any recent Sonic game. That seems like a real possibility since old Sonic fans are actually excited for it while the newer fans are going to buy it like they do with every Sonic game.

It's still pretty sad that we're even at a point where Sega doesn't want to use the Classic Sonic model. Everything about that model seems much more appealing than the modern one.

I can totally imagine how this would definitely be an uphill battle from a marketing perspective. Redesigning a character is always a risky prospect and going back to an older design is probably frowned on in marketing.

I have to wonder how much something like Epic Mickey factored in to an argument for Classic Sonic to make a return.

I think there has been a pretty overwhelming response already. Let's not forget that Facebook poll when Generations was first announced; Classic Sonic won that popularity contest more than 4:1 over Modern Sonic. Whoever at Sega that was opposing Classic Sonic's return had to take notice.

JonCha

Sega1991 said:
The breakdown that starts around 1:10 - the lyrics are auto-tuned to the main melody of Endless Mine for a couple of verses.

Absolutely killer. Hype has got way too much haha. How the GiantBomb guys - or anyone - can say this looks 'meh' is ridiculous.

And this will sell LOADS purely for that level.

JonCha said:
Absolutely killer. Hype has got way too much haha. How the GiantBomb guys - or anyone - can say this looks 'meh' is ridiculous.

And this will sell LOADS purely for that level.

To be fair, there are a lot of people who don't hold that much nostalgia for Sonic anymore given Sega's tendency to release bi-annual retro collections, and games like Shadow the Hedgehog and especially Sonic 2006 were quite honestly so bad that they retroactively ruined whatever nostalgia some folks still held on to.

In a way, I don't blame the GiantBomb guys. There doesn't seem to be many people in that group that are all that in to platformers to begin with (especially Jeff, who seems to have been the deciding voice in "We're not going to see Sonic Generations at E3").

Though somewhere in the back of my mind I keep hoping that like, Patrick will get on the wrap-up tonight and be like "I was at the Sega booth and and honestly Sonic Generations looked kind of awesome". He's probably around that age where City Escape would be nostalgic to him.

I'm also pretty pleased with the amount of open space they're giving Modern Sonic. If they can refine his free movement, this could be the perfect blend of Adventure/Colors gameplay.

ryYzh.jpg

G5aTw.jpg

TimmiT

Impressions from Chimpo at Sonic Retro:
Alright. lets get this shit out of the way:

Classic Sonic:

He's heavier than Modern Sonic. A lot heavier. This takes some getting use to but after a while you get a hang of it. Jumping is a lot better than its ever been since the Genesis days. It's not perfect but it's not Sonic Rush either. Bouncing off badniks functions more like a double jump than it did in the original game. No matter how high you bounce on them from you always jump back at a fixed height. I actually like this change because it was used extensively in the level design. Now my second biggest problem is the rolling.

Like I said before, it's completely useless. It shouldn't even be there if that's how its going to work. I tried numerous the demo numerous times to try and in numerous locations. I tried it the Genesis way and the Sonic 4 way (hold forward while rolling) and no matter what, Sonic would eventually slow down. I found a sweet ass steep hill with a loop there and tried rolling. Still nothing. It's worthless and you're better off spin-dash canceling than rolling if you want to go down those hills fast.

My biggest problem with the game is not the controls. It's the scripted events. I'm sure we've all seen numerous videos where Sonic goes down the S Tube, runs over a crumbling floor, hits a yellow spring and is launched back down into the pit to hit another spring. I'm sure a lot of us thought we could hit that but unfortunately its scripted and there is no way out of it. Another event happens at loop before the mountain. A lot of the springs in the game are fixed as well. Jumping on them causes your horizontal control to be locked until a certain point so you can't get that extra distance from the climb up that you normally would. This was very annoying in one section of the level where you hit a yellow spring to get to a swinging platform above you, but just to the right of you there's a breakable platform you can run on and use to get to another spring that will let you get past the platform section. These fixed events are annoying and just take control away along with the enjoyment.

I didn't get to try out Modern Sonic too much but it felt like a much more refined version of Unleashed and that's a good thing.

If they can reduce the number of scripted events and make rolling on its own actually useful then Classic Sonic would be absolutely perfect. It may not be Genesis Perfect but it's damn close and damn well enjoyable. Pre-ordering the shit out of it.

P.S: 3D Mode is awful. Don't try it. The game runs at an awful frame rate and there's input delay. Avoid it at all cost.
It's a shame about the rolling and the scripted events, but it seems like it will still be a good game regardless. I'm very excited to play the demo when it hits PSN.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShadiWulf said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xgF51zERGo

here is classic sonic gameplay with the music that will be in his level
ENDLESS MINE!!! <3

I have to wonder if SEGA's going to try to squeeze in every memorable tune in the Sonic series they could into each Act by doing this.

*tries to tell self to not get hyped because it's a Sonic game and Sonic games go either way*

SykoTech said:
If they have any sense, they'd take the MegaMan route. Give Classic Sonic his own games so he can exist along side the Modern one.
I'd love for them to do that as well--taking lessons out of Capcom's book might result in some success here. But that begs the question: will Classic Sonic/Retro Sonic games be downloadable only and Modern games will be at retail, or will Retro Sonic have a chance at retail once in a while?

I'm not sure if SEGA can successfully market both products and get the results they want. I don't think Facebook/the Internet tends to equal real life/sales, but like other people said, it was interesting that Classic Sonic got more votes than the Modern design (though this could be attributed to the fact that a lot of the people on Facebook are usually around 18-30, rather than much younger than that). I like both designs, but Classic Sonic is far more charismatic.

How can anyone hate this? :3

classicsonic_s_rank_027hni.gif

Did Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 do well, sales-wise? MM9 must have done well since we have MM10.

Since uncurling was fixed only 2 things remain which annoy me now, that's instant spindashing using a button which seems to be useable while moving like sonic adventure and the pre-set bounce heights from jumping on badniks (THIS IS WRONG)

Fix plz sega k thx

Pietepiet

That result screen animation is incredibly cute. I like how they gave him a sort of child like attitude. The way he bounces around in the CGI stuff in both the City Escape trailer and the teaser is so great <3

I'll have to draw this guy soon...

Chao

Pietepiet said:
That result screen animation is incredibly cute. I like how they gave him a sort of child like attitude. The way he bounces around in the CGI stuff in both the City Escape trailer and the teaser is so great <3

I'll have to draw this guy soon...

It reminds me of young Goku in the sense that in the beginning he was little and cute and was always happy, like the kid he was.
goku.jpg

Tansut

I dunno if this has been asked or not, I don't recall seeing it addressed or brought up anywhere, but I just had a quick question about the demo.

Could you play the Classic Sonic stages with the d-pad?

The level complete screen animations are really cute. It feels a lot like classic Sonic even though he didn't have so much expression in his 16-bit versions. Its really cute and in a good way too.

The design and look of Generations really gets it right so far.

Top Bottom