• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLEABttn

Banned
lexi said:
RiskyChris had good intentions

Here's the thing: RiskyChris doesn't. I read the FoH forums. He loves attention. That's all he wants. He frankly doesn't give a shit about stuff to anywhere near that extent. All Chris wants is attention. And that thread gave him his weight in gold of attention.

He's an attention whore, nothing more.

ZZMitch said:
But was it worth it?
I thought it was pretty funny and I knew I was going to get in trouble for it, so I didn't complain when I did get banned. I honestly think I was banned more times (when I was a mod/admin) than every other mod/admin on GAF. And most times I did deserve it.

It was changing every single thread title on the front page of the Gaming Forum to contain the word 'Nintendogs' that got me de-adminned. I also vaguely remember a complaint that my account had been hacked or something around that time, but I don't really remember that.

Being an admin was super fun though, mainly because it allowed more opportunity to be creative. Tag changes, post editing (though I tried not to do that too much, since it's kind of a dick thing to edit someone's post), rule enforcement, etc. I don't think I actually banned too many people during my time as a mod/admin.

I really, really wish we had the function to search through our old posts, because there's so, so much I've forgotten from the "old days". When someone linked that thread earlier on this page about me mimicking a junior member, I'd honestly completely forgotten that.

The only other event I can really remember that got me banned (though not as a mod/admin) was the "let's do something new every day" thread. Those were pretty good times.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Roto13 said:
God, I watched this unfold as a lurker and it was hilarious. I actually met him at E3 last year. He introduces himself as Professor Layton. I'm not even joking.
OMG

Esch

Banned
The abolishing of post history has helped murder GAF accountability and history. The only thing i miss more than the mocking laughing smilie.

Only admins can change tags? Mods can't?

Roto13 said:
God, I watched this unfold as a lurker and it was hilarious. I actually met him at E3 last year. He introduces himself as Professor Layton. I'm not even joking.
Are you sure you weren't just speaking to Professor Layton?

lexi

Banned
FLEABttn said:
Here's the thing: RiskyChris doesn't. I read the FoH forums. He loves attention. That's all he wants. He frankly doesn't give a shit about stuff to anywhere near that extent. All Chris wants is attention. And that thread gave him his weight in gold of attention.

He's an attention whore, nothing more.

Hang on, I'm remember something I think I'd forgotten. Wasn't another 'RiskyChris' found at a different forum, with the same avatar, who was the ideological opposite of GAF-RiskyChris?

FLEABttn

Banned
lexi said:
Hang on, I'm remember something I think I'd forgotten. Wasn't another 'RiskyChris' found at a different forum, with the same avatar, who was the ideological opposite of GAF-RiskyChris?

That I am not sure about. I can, however, tell you that RiskyChrist did, and possible does still, post at Fire of Heaven. And he complains in the exact same fashion as he did here: annoyingly and disingenuously.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
lexi said:
But who was the troll? RiskyChris or BizzaroRiskyChris?

Man.. I wish there was a way that the 'Banned' could be a link to the post that got them banned.

I go to old threads and find all these posters with it under their name, like Gaffer grave stones. I always wonder what happened to them.

Riposte

Jinfash said:
AdmiralViscen:

The graphics of Turok PS3 were so underwhelming that he asked if it would run on 40GB PS3's in Bish's thread.

Should I be afraid if I make fun of a game's graphics in a humorous manner?

ZZMitch

OttomanScribe said:
Man.. I wish there was a way that the 'Banned' could be a link to the post that got them banned.

I go to old threads and find all these posters with it under their name, like Gaffer grave stones. I always wonder what happened to them.

This would be awesome.

tiff

Banned
OttomanScribe said:
Probably the only thing I like about Something Awful is they have a feature like this.

The M.O.B

Very enlightening and hilarious thread here.

I'm come to the conclusion the only way you get banned is by being an idiot.
I really don't get the caution in the gaming discussion side, 80% of my post have been on there and I have never received nor needed so much as a warning from the mods. You have to be some sort of fool to get banned me thinks.

Kind of sad going through old threads and seeing all the greyed out names of infamous members.

OttomanScribe said:

Doesn't SomethingAwful do something like that?

Edit: Beaten. Sheesh.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
butter_stick said:
SA's way of dealing with bans and temp bans is the ideal, really.

One thing I like is their short bans, whatever they call them. It's a good way to enforce rules like banning lazy list posts without having to be too harsh about it.

Esch

Banned
OttomanScribe said:

reviving post history would essentially do the same.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The M.O.B said:
Very enlightening and hilarious thread here.

I'm come to the conclusion the only way you get banned is by being an idiot.
I really don't get the caution in the gaming discussion side, 80% of my post have been on there and I have never received nor needed so much as a warning from the mods. You have to be some sort of fool to get banned me thinks.

Kind of sad going through old threads and seeing all the greyed out names of infamous members.
I'm sure a thread titled "what's the most unfair ban you got" will definitely change your mind.

Firestorm

Flying_Phoenix said:
Why and how did Dragona_Ahkei (spelling?) leave again?

EDIT - Same with Segata Sanshiro
I assumed Dragona got butthurt about being de-modded.

Segata got fed up with GAF. Which is too bad as he was one of the best posters on this board.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Mike Works said:
Haha, I remember that. Some guy made a thread titled Check out these pictures of some nice "breasts" and all of the pictures in his OP were of baked chicken breasts. Very clever.

So I immediately started a thread titled Check out these pictures of nice "pussies" and I posted a bunch of pictures of vaginas that I found on google image search and got banned for a week.
lol

Only a week? Someone on the mod team must have really liked you.

Esiquio

EschatonDX said:
The abolishing of post history has helped murder GAF accountability and history. The only thing i miss more than the mocking laughing smilie.

Only admins can change tags? Mods can't?

Who's who? I've never seen a list? At least, there's not one in the FAQ forum...

woodchuck

Mike Works said:

Being an admin was super fun though, mainly because it allowed more opportunity to be creative. Tag changes, post editing (though I tried not to do that too much, since it's kind of a dick thing to edit someone's post), rule enforcement, etc. I don't think I actually banned too many people during my time as a mod/admin.

we could have used a thread similar to the "Watch Arrested Development and get a tag" thread for Party Down

Oh man. Some of these are great. I wasn't around for most of them as I don't think I started lurking until around mid to late 2010 and didn't get account approval until February, but I did see Segata's. It was that sort of post that gave me a good example of how not to post. Segata was a great poster, but the incessant things about how he was a bad person for not liking DKC were just ridiculous. I'm saying that as someone who likes that game.

The dumbass_ thread was just... man. Not to mention "welcome juniors" type threads always seem to be graveyards as far as bannings goes. Also, what's the deal with juniors making some sort of awkward uncomfortable joke when they first get approved? I didn't post for my first two weeks after approval, and when I did it was something very small and normal. Dumbest thing I did was insult FF9's final dungeon design. After that I kept my head down until I was a member.

Firestorm said:
I assumed Dragona got butthurt about being de-modded.

Segata got fed up with GAF. Which is too bad as he was one of the best posters on this board.
I thought Dragona demodded herself and went into self-exile?

And I also miss Segata. Nobody comes close to him.

Mudkips

Banned
I'm gonna write up a final post and put it in my will.
Make someone post it as me after I die.
Update it every year or some such.

coldvein

Banned
some funny stuff in this thread.

many people have gone out in a blaze of madness and glory. that's preferable to "I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE, GAF! IM QUITTING YOU! BYE!". that's just lame.

OttomanScribe said:
You can always pm a member of the staff or email support@neogaf.com if you wanted to suggest it as a future possibility for the forum, if circumstances allowed.

I've always longed for some sort of small denotation that tells you if it's just a temporary or a permanent banning. Something as small as a difference in color/tone. I sent that in to the proverbial suggestion box, but it won't disappoint me if it never sees the light of day.

Anyways, back on topic-
Segata and Himuro both were rather surprising when they happened. I definitely haven't been around the forums long enough to have followed either for that long, but it just seemed so out of left field, personally.

Azure J

Man this thread is a massive trip down memory land. I can't believe I've been here long enough to know about most of these bans. The Wii Will Rock U one specifically was interesting due to IGN running a story from the twitter implying Layton for a new Smash being made then. It was so magnificent, like watching a spark travel down a fuse in bullet time.

Meanwhile, reading one of these older threads reminds me, didn't Nintendosbooger have a pretty awesome moment leading to a ban or is my memory bad? I seem to remember him having a fallout with Dragona about female characters in games that got WAY out of hand.

Edit: God damn, I'm finally reading through the backlog of thread tabs I opened up during my read of this thread and wow... Himuro's hentai thread is fucking hilarious, like A+ tier on the GAF Laffs™ scale. :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Red Blaster said:
The best one will forever be that Kitsune guy who was outed as an American pretending to be a Japanese dude living in Japan.

Nosy muckety muck fucks or whatever hah

Jeff-DSA

I'm going to say Olimario. The dude was nuts, but man, what a sad way to go out.

Too bad he disappeared before he sent back the GCN import games I let him borrow. He wanted to do a handful of import reviews and I sent him the games. He still had my address to send them back, but I figure he was terrified of anything GAF or IGN related. I saw him pop up on AIM about a year after he left. He seemed to be doing okay, but he seemed dodgy talking to me, even after I told him I didn't even care about the games anymore.

Anteater

It's too bad some of the people left before my account got approved, even though I have never talked to them directly nor do I know them well, but I enjoyed reading some of their posts, Red Scarlet, Himuro and Segata comes to mind. Like those "Let's play FFXII" were my favorite kind of thread.

I've seen Red Scarlet on another forum, but I couldn't log on there anymore.

Jeff-DSA said:
I'm going to say Olimario. The dude was nuts, but man, what a sad way to go out.

Too bad he disappeared before he sent back the GCN import games I let him borrow. He wanted to do a handful of import reviews and I sent him the games. He still had my address to send them back, but I figure he was terrified of anything GAF or IGN related. I saw him pop up on AIM about a year after he left. He seemed to be doing okay, but he seemed dodgy talking to me, even after I told him I didn't even care about the games anymore.
What exactly happened? This must've been at least 7 years ago. damn.

Duki said:
also wow the risky chris thread about the word tranny is hilarious to look at now

its literally a microcosm of, and a metaphor for, all the white knighting that goes on this forum

risky chris starts the thread and is the main force behind the virulent white knight fanaticism

then suddenly, 3/4 of the way through, gabron is on the scene and they join forces

in the end, risky chris is banned and gabron is left to carry on the fight alone

they are literally morgoth and sauron
This does not take away from the fact that Gaborn is a valued member of GAF who actually contributes a lot of cool stuff to the forum via his news.

I mean, of course, the rest of us could do the same, but it wouldn't be Gaborn News.

Narag

AzureJericho said:
Meanwhile, reading one of these older threads reminds me, didn't Nintendosbooger have a pretty awesome moment leading to a ban or is my memory bad? I seem to remember him having a fallout with Dragona about female characters in games that got WAY out of hand.

I was trying to find the thread in question and I didn't realize just how crazy his threads were.
I'm dying here.

Sex-Age: Girl asks me to go deeper, can't go any deeper --- need bigger penis?
Never compliment a fat co-worker.
Is it considered improper to take a #2 while a guest is using your shower?
GAF: Am I autistic?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Love this thread. There are many posts/threads that my brain had forgotten.

Patrick Bateman said:
Kittowny is banned? Wow..

You didn't notice the lack of "But it doesn't have HDR/SSAO/self-shadowing!" in every PS3 thread?

DMeisterJ said:
I've never understood the reasoning for that, aside from being a dick. Like, you can just not navigate to the site in question, and never login to post.

Doesn't seem like too hard of a thing to do.

Internet infamy is serious business.

Amir0x said:
Fun Fact: Kittonwy had an alt account named MalboroRed he was posting on that was only a few days ago also banned!

Haha.

butter_stick said:
Red Scarlet was a damn fine mod.
She was just so nice. Nicest moderator ever. She used to PM people and let them know in the nicest fashion if their avatar sizes were wrong or if someone hotlinked an image. She really worried that people might get banned for something stupid like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom