• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic [Releasing Date: Dec 20 NA/EU - NDA Lifted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelican

All pre-ordered.

Got my code activated and all ready for the game to launch:) It would be nice to check out the beta, but I never really have much luck getting into those.

Gvaz

Banned
Just use real headphones and a desktop mic. Some people mentioned something about a zalman clip?

Anyways with headsets you're gonna pay a premium, and if you dont you'll have a headset that feels uncomfortable, sounds like shit on either end, or both.

Emitan

Just got my WoW account nearly stolen despite my highest level character being level 16. Really hoping EA offers authenticators for Android soon after launch.

gatti-man

CzarTim said:
Anybody have a good headset recommendation?

I was going to buy the sennheiser pc 360 but then I saw a review for these. Ive found them on ebay for around 185 and amazon for 211. They are the HD 598's. Beautiful.

600-HD-598-1-Beauty.jpg

Billychu said:
Just got my WoW account nearly stolen despite my highest level character being level 16. Really hoping EA offers authenticators for Android soon after launch.

Authenticators are a must. I dont really understand why they arent shipped with every mmo as standard now.

EDIT: my price on ebay was off, now corrected.

Emitan

I would love to buy headphones to go along with the desk mic but my family decided to schedule a trip to London OUT OF NOWHERE. Which means that's one less week of working. Sigh...

Rflagg

Billychu said:
I almost bought the collectors edition just to be sure I get one. I would be upset and shocked if they are not available day 1.

Emitan

I'll be surprised if there isn't an app for it by January. It is a necessity. Account hacking will become a serious issue if the only way to get an authenticator is paying $150.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm sure there will be an app or ability to buy the authenticator for $5 like with WoW.

I bought an authenticator but while hte battery works, it kept giving me the wrong code after a few months of being on the account. I'd have to call up support, reset it, call up support, reset it.

eventually I just got the iOS app and never looked back.

gatti-man

Billychu said:
I'll be surprised if there isn't an app for it by January. It is a necessity. Account hacking will become a serious issue if the only way to get an authenticator is paying $150.
An app would be great as my gf's son loves anything I touch. He is constantly swiping my FF14 authenticator.

Carm

One thing I really haven't been paying much attention to is naming in the game. Admittedly I haven't fully checked out the website, or paid it much attention in the videos. Are we gonna be allowed to have full names or just first like in WoW? After playing EQ1 for years, going into WoW in 2004 with only first names has always been one of the things that bugged me about the game.

It was nice having last names in EQ1, they meant quite a lot to some folks. One of my characters had a special last name because of an unfortunate boating incident going from Freeport to Faydwer heh. Plus, it fixes the problem of people being disappointed they didn't get the name they wanted, when people can have last names, most of the time anyway. And hopefully, helps avoid seeing awful and annoying names with all those stupid special characters in them.

JohnTuk

Banned
Carm said:
One thing I really haven't been paying much attention to is naming in the game. Admittedly I haven't fully checked out the website, or paid it much attention in the videos. Are we gonna be allowed to have full names or just first like in WoW? After playing EQ1 for years, going into WoW in 2004 with only first names has always been one of the things that bugged me about the game.

It was nice having last names in EQ1, they meant quite a lot to some folks. One of my characters had a special last name because of an unfortunate boating incident going from Freeport to Faydwer heh. Plus, it fixes the problem of people being disappointed they didn't get the name they wanted, when people can have last names, most of the time anyway. And hopefully, helps avoid seeing awful and annoying names with all those stupid special characters in them.
Not revealed yet.

Fonds

Carm said:
Last names?

In all the beta videos I've seen there weren't any last names. It doesn't seem like a huge feature to keep a secret, so I'm guessing it won't be in for launch either.
But it's a minor thing to implement so you never know.

I believe they said something like "not ready to talk about that yet" to someone asking about last names in one of the comic con Q&As. There definitely are no last names in the beta, but they probably would just have said "No" if they had no plans to add them at all.

Might search through Q&As and add a quote later.

EA said:
Thank you for ordering from Origin Store on July 24, 2011. The following email is a summary of your order. Please use this as your proof of purchase. If you paid by credit card, please look for EA * Origin.com on your credit card billing statement.

My body is ready.

Ferny

Agkel said:
Ferny, are we going PvP or staying PvEEEEEE?
Haven't decided yet and most likely won't till a little closer to release.

One interesting thing to note is that you can't get ganked while doing your class story so that may put some PVE only players at ease...

Effect

I do wish this game was a bit more twitch combat based. Something closer to DC Universe Online. I think this is what is keeping me away from it as it seems like the same old thing just with prettier coloring. Is this the wrong impression to take away from the game?

Effect said:
I do wish this game was a bit more twitch combat based. Something closer to DC Universe Online. I think this is what is keeping me away from it as it seems like the same old thing just with prettier coloring. Is this the wrong impression to take away from the game?

Well that is your impression, the gamplay vids are pretty clear. It's not really a real time combat system.

Ulchie

Banned
Billychu said:
Is there anywhere I can go to get a primer on MMO jargon? I know what stuff like tanking, CC, HOT, etc are but I have no idea what stuff like wellfare epics are.
This came about with PVP epics people could easily obtain via very little work AND/OR skill.

Morn

Banned
Billychu said:

They said at the Comic Con panel that the authenticators are available separately.

Ulchie

Banned
Morn said:
They said at the Comic Con panel that the authenticators are available separately.
Any word on an app though? I don't wanna carry around yet another trinket I can lose. Phone should be good enough.

Ferny

Ulchie said:
Any word on an app though? I don't wanna carry around yet another trinket I can lose. Phone should be good enough.
If Rift had an app im almost sure SWTOR will as well. Its certainly cheaper to do than physical units.

My hype continues to grow, after a bit of a disappointment at how much the base price is for this game. If they allow me to craft kick as droids I'll be very happy.

Fonds

BattleMonkey said:
I believe it's a mix of all new Star Wars like soundtrack, as well as old stuff from the movies.

All star wars music from existing movies will be in, + 9 hours original swtor music.

Neverfade said:
Will there be iconic SW music? I can imagine epic boss fights to Duel of the Fates.

They said they want to combine the original score/movie soundtracks with the KOTOR soundtrack and new stuff based on the original score. I think it is pretty safe to say Duel of the Fates will be in as some kind of combat and/or boss theme.

There have been some news updates about sound and music on the official site. This one for example: http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20100716_003

Sigfodr

I had told my boss I was going to drop down to the RE, even though I have the CE reserved. As a gesture of appreciation for my work, he's paying off my CE.

Yaska

Sigfodr said:
I had told my boss I was going to drop down to the RE, even though I have the CE reserved. As a gesture of appreciation for my work, he's paying off my CE.
Pretty cool boss.

Sigfodr

Yaska said:
Pretty cool boss.
Yeah, I was concerned, too. We've both been with the company the same amount of time, in the same position, then he got promoted over me. I'd never met him before, so I was concerned about his attitude towards me.

Is this Smuggler gameplay? I guess I missed when the "energy" meter changed.

Giolon

Sigfodr said:
Yeah, I was concerned, too. We've both been with the company the same amount of time, in the same position, then he got promoted over me. I'd never met him before, so I was concerned about his attitude towards me.

Is this Smuggler gameplay? I guess I missed when the "energy" meter changed.

Yeah, that is. See it says "Scoundrel" on the action bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom