• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 4 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk_

Let's say I leave Whatsapp in the background with push und my iPhone goes into standby (lock screen), is it then connected permanently with my wireless lan or does it only check my message status every couple of minutes?

If it stays connected the whole time, it's a serious battery drainer, isn't it?

kinggroin

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
iPhone4 still BEASTING on Verizon. Sales actually increased last quarter!

This is crazy for 4 reasons:

1) Most people predicted there would be some drop-off as the debut quarter was predicted to fill most of the pent-up demand for iPhone from Verizon's existing customer base who were waiting, and from ATT customers switching providers.

2) The quarter is usually a down quarter.

3) The iPhone 4 is old.

4) Verizon has really been pushing 4G in advertising.

Seems all the negative word of mouth and press concerning lte and battery life, really hurt Google's platform. Amazing to see the old iPhone 4 push ios as the number one selling platform this quarter, that's just insane. Wonder if they can reproduce this on tmboile and sprint (where newer android devices DONT face the same problem).

In any event, it seems gcubed was right. Lte is nice, but its not ready for mobile prime time.

Shearie

After owning an iPod Touch 4 since it released, I want to graduate to being an iPhone owner. Unless the iPhone 5 gets a screen resolution increase, which doesn't seem like it's going to happen, I think I'm just going to go with an iPhone 4. I have a question though; from past iPhone launches, does the previous model drop in price instantly when the new one releases? Also, does anyone want to buy my iPod Touch 4 for cheap? :)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
LCfiner said:
if the iphone 4 underperformed (i still don't know how you can look at the sales growth and think this) it's because Apple literally could not make more of them. like the iPad it is selling through every phone it makes.

Apple's marketshare is limited by its manufacturing capability
Not just from their limited manufacturing capability, but also the limited places to buy an iPhone when compared to the android. Right now, in the US, you can only buy an iPhone at Verizon, AT&T, an Apple Store, and from Apple directly. On the other hand you can buy an Android from all the main carriers, and also subcarriers like Virgin and Cricket, and almost any electronic store that carries phones. Hell, the quickie mart just down the street sells pre-paid smartphones running Android.

Talon

Shearie said:
After owning an iPod Touch 4 since it released, I want to graduate to being an iPhone owner. Unless the iPhone 5 gets a screen resolution increase, which doesn't seem like it's going to happen, I think I'm just going to go with an iPhone 4. I have a question though; from past iPhone launches, does the previous model drop in price instantly when the new one releases? Also, does anyone want to buy my iPod Touch 4 for cheap? :)
Yep. The 3GS contract price dropped when the iPhone 4 was released.

Is the iPod Touch in good shape? I might be interested.

Sipowicz

Banned
hello guys. quick questions

if i sell my ipod 4 and buy a new ipod/iphone in the future can i recover my apps with my user id?

will i be able to format my ipod before i sell it?

thanks

Dez

dk_ said:
Let's say I leave Whatsapp in the background with push und my iPhone goes into standby (lock screen), is it then connected permanently with my wireless lan or does it only check my message status every couple of minutes?

If it stays connected the whole time, it's a serious battery drainer, isn't it?

There's no point in leaving Whatsapp open. You're right - there will be some battery drain because when the app is open, it stays connected to their servers.. whether it maintains wifi connection or switches to 3g when in locked mode is something i'm not sure about. Either way, it's going to drain a lot of battery.

The better way is to "close" the app when you're done with it - it stays connected for a few minutes using the task completion api, then closes it's connection. Push notifications will show you any messages you missed.

Sipowicz

Banned
Chuck said:
Yes and yes.

excellent, thanks.

so i'm assuming all i need to do is format my ipod before i sell it. how would i do this?

should i also deactivate my itunes. i read on another forum you can do this although i dont understand what the point is

Shearie

Talon- said:
Yep. The 3GS contract price dropped when the iPhone 4 was released.

Is the iPod Touch in good shape? I might be interested.

It's in great shape with only some light scratches on the back since I don't use a case. It's also a 32 GB version. Thing is though, I can't really sell it until the new iPhones release since I'm now an Apple addict and my whole life will fall apart if I don't have an iOS device on me at all times. :)

Anyway, if anyone is interested, PM me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Shearie said:
It's in great shape with only some light scratches on the back since I don't use a case. It's also a 32 GB version. Thing is though, I can't really sell it until the new iPhones release since I'm now an Apple addict and my whole life will fall apart if I don't have an iOS device on me at all times. :)

Anyway, if anyone is interested, PM me.
you do realize that when the new iPhone is released the old iPod touch will also drop in price and you'll receive less for it, right?

Shearie

Greyface said:
you do realize that when the new iPhone is released the old iPod touch will also drop in price and you'll receive less for it, right?

Yes, but like I said, I depend on it so much that I can't imagine being without it for so long. The only other option is that my friend has an old iPod touch that I don't think he uses anymore since he has an iPhone and I can probably borrow that from him for awhile. Ugh, it's really hard looking at the old resolution screens though once you're used to retina display. :(

Shearie said:
Yes, but like I said, I depend on it so much that I can't imagine being without it for so long. The only other option is that my friend has an old iPod touch that I don't think he uses anymore since he has an iPhone and I can probably borrow that from him for awhile. Ugh, it's really hard looking at the old resolution screens though once you're used to retina display. :(

I sold my 4th gen Touch today. I figured getting good money for it now is better than much less in a few weeks. I can do without it for a month.

Now watch Apple just release the next iPod touch in white with no internal update :(

Blackhead

Redarse
Shearie said:
What I meant was that sell your iPod touch
now—> get $250 -> pay $200 for iPhone = $50 change
later—> get $150 -> pay $100 for iPhone = $50 change

Only difference is you'll get the iPhone 2 months earlier...

Gamecocks625 said:
I sold my 4th gen Touch today. I figured getting good money for it now is better than much less in a few weeks. I can do without it for a month.

Now watch Apple just release the next iPod touch in white with no internal update :(
lol, that's possible if the iPhone nano/cheap iPhone/iPod touch 3g rumors are to be believed.

Shearie

Greyface said:
What I meant was that sell your iPod touch
now—> get $250 -> pay $200 for iPhone = $50 change
later—> get $150 -> pay $100 for iPhone = $50 change

Are people really buying used 32GB iPod Touch 4's for $250? I was thinking much less than that, but I've always been a shit salesman. If I can get that much for it then I'll definitely sell it right now.

Shearie

Gamecocks625 said:

How much did you get for yours and what capacity was it?

Shearie said:
How much did you get for yours and what capacity was it?

It was a 32GB. I listed it on Amazon for $219 and it sold within an hour or so. I also threw in two Griffin cases but I'm not sure if that was much of a factor. I had the original case and everything, too. After shipping and Amazon fees, I'll pocket $200.

Too be honest, I wasn't sure if I would get more for it. People were listing them for cheaper than that. I mean, Amazon is selling new ones for like $270 or something.

Talon

Hey, iPhone #5! This time it was reception issues.

I think it's time to tout customer service ahead of hardware reliability.

Sipowicz

Banned
further to my original query, i'm planning to do the followimg

1. restore (format) my ipod in itunes
2. deauthorize my ipod from itunes
3. uninstall itunes

are these the correct steps i need to folow before selling my ipod? and how would i recover my apps in the future when i buy a new ipod?

Talon

Sipowicz said:
further to my original query, i'm planning to do the followimg

1. restore (format) my ipod in itunes
2. deauthorize my ipod from itunes
3. uninstall itunes

are these the correct steps i need to folow before selling my ipod? and how would i recover my apps in the future when i buy a new ipod?
Your apps are tied to your iTunes account. You can download the purchased ones again. They should also already be on your computer under Apps.

You can reset your iPod from within settings as well without connecting it to iTunes.

Blackhead

Redarse
mYm|17| said:
I got my iphone 4 last friday night and zomg amazing from going from 3g to 4.

I got to keep my unlimited data too
the most recent rumor is that the iPhone 5 will be released on Sept 5... 6 weeks...

Blackhead

Redarse
I'd say the event will be one week before the release. Iirc last year it was only a week after the September event for the iPod Touch launch. The rumor also suggests that the Sept 5 launch is only for the US so that's manageable with one week notice. And Apple might not have preorders this year so that one week would be convenient.

Greyface said:
I'd say the event will be one week before the release. Iirc last year it was only a week after the September event for the iPod Touch launch. The rumor also suggests that the Sept 5 launch is only for the US so that's manageable with one week notice. And Apple might not have preorders this year so that one week would be convenient.
So if they don't have preorders, I'd have to wait in line like a chump if I wanted it day one?

isn't this 2011 or what's the deal here

Blackhead

Redarse
The Lamonster said:
So if they don't have preorders, I'd have to wait in line like a chump if I wanted it day one?

isn't this 2011 or what's the deal here
Apple didn't have a preorder system for the iPad launch either. The theory was that they wanted long lines that would make the news, turn the launch into an 'event' and ensure that the device is the 'it' item for that season. Or something like that.

Greyface said:
Apple didn't have a preorder system for the iPad launch either. The theory was that they wanted long lines that would make the news, turn the launch into an 'event' and ensure that the device is the 'it' item for that season. Or something like that.
That sounds very anti-consumer. Apple has always been pretentious as shit and I almost hate myself for planning to buy one of their products. Too bad it's like the best thing on the market for what I need. That's capitalism for ya.

In Canada they implemented a nice thing where you can reserve one online and then just go pick it up. They didn't do it RIGHT away but it was close to launch. We've never been people to pre-order iphones though.

Vyer

The Lamonster said:
That sounds very anti-consumer. Apple has always been pretentious as shit..
Quit buying into OS warz bs plastered on the Internet. People have lined up for all sorts of electronics and any of the 'competitors' would kill to have a similar launch reception to their own products. Preorders or not, launch days are the same and day one stock is not infinite.

dream

Didn't Apple have online preorders for the iPhone 4? I remember a bunch of GAFers receiving theirs a day before launch.

Quick question: I deleted a Voice Memo by mistake - is there any way to go in and recover it? Like, does the iPhone have a "trash bin" that I can access with a 3rd party app so I can recover the memo? I've tried iPhone Explorer but either it doesn't give that level of access or I don't know where to look. Am I SOL? :(

Edit: 33-Hit-Combo, yes there is. You need a program like iPhone Explorer or Pod to Mac/Pod to PC to do it. (I've also tried Pod to Mac but it crashes on startup each time on my dad's iMac running Lion) Looks like this would work for you as well: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25347/phoneview

LightOfTruth said:
why dont they support flash anyway? That's seriously dumb.

Steve Jobs hates flash and thinks it's buggy and drains the battery based on issues of how flash ran on OSX. Some people here like to pretend that flash isn't use anymore on the Internet either as a defense of why it doesn't matter.

dream said:
How are you going to say that Flash doesn't drain the battery?

edit: oh, it's Marty

Where did I say it doesn't drain the battery? I just explained why it's not there. There are solutions for the battery drain though like how Android phones and tablets use it.

ACE 1991

I'm getting an Iphone 4 tomorrow. While I should probably wait for the 5, I'm not sure I give enough of a shit. Besides, I've been ipodless for about a month now, and the phone I'm using barely works.

dream

Marty Chinn said:
Where did I say it doesn't drain the battery? I just explained why it's not there. There are solutions for the battery drain though like how Android phones and tablets use it.

By not loading Flash elements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom