• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Sp00ky's Stream Gear Seized by the Department of Homeland Security

LiK

Fraeon said:
He did say he wasn't going to do that.

But yeah, the whole "no reasons or ways to contact" really is bullshit.

ah really? man, i think he should. people wanna donate.

Quadratic said:
If you went to T12 in person like I did, Vince (TTT_RXS) put up a chipin donate page. I put some money on there. http://spookyrecoveryfund.chipin.com/team-spooky-recovery-fund

I didn't get to talk to Spooky over the weekend because he was busting his ass all day and night. I do appreciate that he came up to Canada. I really hope this experience won't make it his last time :(
It's all those bags of milk! I knew nothing good could come from those!

Quadratic said:
If you went to T12 in person like I did, Vince (TTT_RXS) put up a chipin donate page. I put some money on there. http://spookyrecoveryfund.chipin.com/team-spooky-recovery-fund

I didn't get to talk to Spooky over the weekend because he was busting his ass all day and night. I do appreciate that he came up to Canada. I really hope this experience won't make it his last time :(

awesome will donate when i can. always <3 watching his streams .

Professor Beef said:
It's all those bags of milk! I knew nothing good could come from those!

and tim hortons timbits :)

LuchaShaq

Banned
Xater said:
I don't even get how this is possible. For shit like this shouldn't there be at least reasonable suspicion or something? This just looks like they acted randomly and/or out on whim. Poor guy. I am feeling for Sp00ky, dude does great work for the fighting game community.

In America Homeland security means = "laws? Wat laws herp derp"

I don't even watch GF streams but donating because this is such bullshit and I found 10$ in my jeans yesterday.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well that is incredibly fucked up. As someone who supported their their streams from the poverty days, I hope they get this issue resolved and their equipment returned to them without any damages. Still a shit situation though. Way to go, DHS.

We <3 you Team Sp00ky; everyone involved. Please keep doing what you're doing and we'll continue to support.

sephi22

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
I don't agree with happened and I think this practise has much further reaching implications for US citizens than impacting a handful of FG streams but damn....It was only a joke. lighten up.
Why are you quoting me?

Spirit of Jazz said:
I have a hard time believing Devastation was ever going to happen after Sp00ky blew up Level Up for making the announcement before he agreed on anything.
Could you elaborate? What happened?

Xater

h3ro said:
From the article:

I know I definitely do my fair share of bagging on Kotaku, but this is fantastic. I hope this gets out there further. Thanks Crecente.

That is certainly more than I ever expected from Kotaku. Well credit where credit is due I guess.

shaowebb

Alright Kotaku! Way to keep the pressure on guys. Spooky needs his shit back and the DHS needs to be called on this. Glad to see the community is going after them for this.

Yeah, this situation is pretty fucked up. I know some video / photo pros have actually taken to Fed-Exing their equipment overseas, as well as keeping a separate cache of gear available in Europe because of the uncertainty of crossing the border.

Mr Jared

We'll be discussing this tonight with Spooky on FrameTrap: 7PM Pacific at http://twitch.tv/frametrap. For more info..

http://facebook.com/frametrap/ and there's also an official thread by USD floating around here but I can't search at the moment :(

I want to believe he'll get all his equipment back safely. It's going to suck for the next few weeks and whatnot but he'll keep pushing on, regardless of the outcome.

Mr Jared said:
We'll be discussing this tonight with Spooky on FrameTrap: 7PM Pacific at http://twitch.tv/frametrap. For more info..

http://facebook.com/frametrap/ and there's also an official thread by USD floating around here but I can't search at the moment :(
I want to believe he'll get all his equipment back safely. It's going to suck for the next few weeks and whatnot but he'll keep pushing on, regardless of the outcome.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446418

Araxen said:
Because they can. They don't need reason anymore since the Patriot Act was put into law.
It's nothing to do with the Patriot Act.

It's called border search authority and it's been in effect as far as I know for about 200 years. Any customs officer can search anything coming into, or out of, the border, with out a warrant or even reasonable suspicion.

Just as they can search a cargo container or a suitcase, they can search electronic media too.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this incident but it's completely within DHS's authority to detain something until they can search it. I'm not sure exactly what 'stream gear' refers to but if it's a computer they'll hold on to the hard drive for at least as long as they can make an image of it.

Buzzati

Banned
Neuromancer said:
It's nothing to do with the Patriot Act.

It's called border search authority and it's been in effect as far as I know for about 200 years. Any customs officer can search anything coming into, or out of, the border, with out a warrant or even reasonable suspicion.

Just as they can search a cargo container or a suitcase, they can search electronic media too.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this incident but it's completely within DHS's authority to detain something until they can search it. I'm not sure exactly what 'stream gear' refers to but if it's a computer they'll hold on to the hard drive for at least as long as they can make an image of it.

The Patriot Act revises US-Canada border searches in that they can collect data, and the equipment that allegedly contains that data insofar as it relates the person crossing that border. Before the revision - you're right, they could still search a cargo container or suitcase - but electronics with a data source now are seized for long periods of time or indefinitely - (I've read it can take over a year. A friend of mine's equipment took 13 months.) No statement of intention or any kind of search needs to be documented with warrant or cause, which might be why the inspection officer didn't bother putting a reason down on the filing papers - it's inconsequential. Unfortunately.

Buzzati said:
The Patriot Act revises US-Canada border searches in that they can collect data, and the equipment that allegedly contains that data insofar as it relates the person crossing that border. Before the revision - you're right, they could still search a cargo container or suitcase - but electronics with a data source now are seized for long periods of time or indefinitely - (I've read it can take over a year. A friend of mine's equipment took 13 months.) No statement of intention or any kind of warranted search needs to be documented, which might be why the inspection officer didn't bother putting a reason down on the filing papers - it's inconsequential. Unfortunately.
That just doesn't jive with what I know about the border search authority, which is that electronic media coming in from any country can be held and searched for a reasonable amount of time. I'm familiar with the whole process and I've never heard of The Patriot Act being used for such a purpose.

I'd bet money the stuff was detained pursuant to border search authority.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Why are people impressed by Kotaku posting this? Kotaku is the gutter drain of the gaming internet. They'll post all the sludge and run-off they get.

Aruarian Reflection said:
Why are people impressed by Kotaku posting this? Kotaku is the gutter drain of the gaming internet. They'll post all the sludge and run-off they get.

People are impressed because of this

Kotaku has filed an Freedom of Information Act request with the department seeking more details about the seizure and the timing of the equipment's release.

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Nah man he's just making this up to get out of going to Devastation.

Seriously? What motive does he have to make this up?

I think he means does anyone have info on any legitimate reasons for Sp00ky's stuff to have been taken.

I love sp00ky wayyyyy to much to ever think they would be on the wrong end but of course some people will wonder if there was a legit mishap.

But the fact that it was a random check and they just questioned him for having camera equipment makes it much more bogus on the DHS's side.

Buzzati

Banned
Neuromancer said:
That just doesn't jive with what I know about the border search authority, which is that electronic media coming in from any country can be held and searched for a reasonable amount of time. I'm familiar with the whole process and I've never heard of The Patriot Act being used for such a purpose.

I'd bet money the stuff was detained pursuant to border search authority.

I'm no expert on border security, and I'm willing to bet you know more than me about this sorta thing. It was my understanding that revisions to the search and seizures statutes (http://www.justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/PatriotAct.htm) that were put into play post Patriot Act had a big influence on what specifically was seized, for how long, and the process surrounding it all.

But, I really don't doubt you if this has been the same old song and dance for years. Ah, well.

DigiMish

I can't believe it's within law to not accommodate him somehow after he missed his plane because of this seizure. Even financial compensation would have worked.

Unbelievable how fucked up some laws are.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Aruarian Reflection said:
Maybe because this isn't sludge or run-off?

El Sloth

Banned
shuri said:
I'm pretty sure sp00ky was getting paid to do this for big events, and I bet he had insurances.. I would not suggest going crazy with the donation stuff.
From the way he was talking in this video it doesn't seem like it. Although he does himself ask people that they're not asking for any donations at the moment and not to go crazy about it.

I'll probably pitch in a $20 next chance I get anyways.

The worst part about this is that Sp00ky will probably get his gear back in due time (hopefully) given enough media exposure. That's what it takes to have justice done in this country now. The average person will continue to have their rights trampled and fuck all will be done about it.

Buzzati said:
I'm no expert on border security, and I'm willing to bet you know more than me about this sorta thing. It was my understanding that revisions to the search and seizures statutes (http://www.justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/PatriotAct.htm) that were put into play post Patriot Act had a big influence on what specifically was seized, for how long, and the process surrounding it all.

But, I really don't doubt you if this has been the same old song and dance for years. Ah, well.
Eh you may be right, who knows.

Sp00ky

Thanks for the love guys. Well keep you updated as we find out more. keep in mind that while this is a setback its not insurmountable, though it does affect our ability to stream in the short term time.

Most likely we will just buy a near identical set of stuff, because we cant really depend on getting the old gear back. We're still not asking for donations towards that end - you guys donated a lot already for t12 and in the past, so between that and ad revenue we're going to just make due. Thank you for everyone who donated anyway though.

Sorry that there isn't a lot of info but even I don't really know why they stopped me. Some google searches on this have shown pretty much it is an almost common practice now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sp00ky said:
Thanks for the love guys. Well keep you updated as we find out more. keep in mind that while this is a setback its not insurmountable, though it does affect our ability to stream in the short term time.

Most likely we will just buy a near identical set of stuff, because we cant really depend on getting the old gear back. We're still not asking for donations towards that end - you guys donated a lot already for t12 and in the past, so between that and ad revenue we're going to just make due. Thank you for everyone who donated anyway though.

Sorry that there isn't a lot of info but even I don't really know why they stopped me. Some google searches on this have shown pretty much it is an almost common practice now.
It's all good man. Stay strong and don't let it get you down.
I'm sure if the internet clamors enough (and long enough) they can help you get your stuff back. Although it is ridiculous that they would have to in the first place.
MSI has done a lot of advertising for gaming notebooks as well, maybe they can hook you up.

Sp00ky said:

Best of luck to ya Sp00ky life ain't complete without you setting us free.

Top Bottom