• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters gives analyst estimations of Nintendo FY results (official release tomorrow)

Running a loss the year of a console launch (ok technically the 3ds came out the year before but only just) with another console launch coming up so obviously costs will be high is not entirely unsurprising, nintendo should be running a healthy profit next year (or at least a minimal loss with healthy profit the year after) so there is plenty of value in the business but the constant doom articles and the crazy recurring theme that they have to put games on mobiles is not doing the share price any good

Nintendo losing money is extremely surprising. And you're right, there is plenty of value in their business which is why the market currently values it as being worth close to 20 billion dollars.

These articles have no impact on the stock price unless they contain some kind of new info.

mhayze

OBJECTION. A NEW ARGUMENT APPROACHES!

Let's talk *just* about iOS. There are approximately 400 million iOS devices out in the wild, right? Including 30 million+ iPhone's and like 11 million+ iPads sold in the last 3 months, right?

Now. Let's make the genuinely fair assumption that many people who have bought games for their iOS devices would be damn interested in buying a Mario game. Further, while we know many iOS games are like $0.99 (therein lying your point), we also know that some can be priced higher if they deliver a better experience...so lets say that Nintendo offers one up for $15-$20 and offers that caliber of experience. Mario is a brand name that everyone knows and if they make a full-fledged Mario game lots and lots of people will buy it. I for damn sure would. It'd be the new standard for gaming on the OS, hands down. It would be sitting at the top of the paid apps chart for a long, long time.

If just 10% of that iOS audience buys in (and they would, since Mario is that kind of name and iOS really does need full-featured games...which will come sooner or later) do you really think Nintendo would make "very little money" off of the investment? I mean, that's 40 million copies sold, and all they had to do was build it and put it on the iTunes store. No shipping, no boxes, no carts, no discs, etc.

Even if only 5% of that audience bought the game at that price, 20 million copies would be sold. What was the last console game that sold 20 million copies? That wasn't bundled with a console at some point? That's rare air indeed.

Think about it. If anyone can make an experience-defining game designed to take advantage of a touch screen in ways that make a game impossible on traditional controllers and desirable to all...Nintendo is that company.

I think the problem is with the %age assumption. I think both 5% and 10% grossly overestimate what the actual sales would be, and what Nintendo would need to charge and make. Even at $9.99 (and I don't think Nintendo would actually sell a new Mario game that wasn't a rehash of some old Dr. Mario title or the like, for $9.99), they'd get a tiny tiny tiny fraction of the iOS audience. The intersection of iOS gamer willing to pay $10 or more, and Mario fans (or potential Mario fans) is smaller than you think, so far. Even if it was the best selling $9.99 title (or heck best selling title > $1.00) on iOS ever, they would make less money than they have on say a flagship Wii or NDS title, no doubt in my mind.

Don't get me wrong, as a iPad 2 + iPad 3 + iPhone 4 owner, I would LOVE to see Nintendo games on iOS, but as a business person I see why they haven't yet. They may yet do that, but it would torpedo their business model, I can see that clearly.

TheNatural

My Member!
Actually, by not fully recognizing the points and opinions of others and refusing to maintain your opinion in a a constant and logical matter, you kind of are looking like a (rather inexperienced) troll at this point.
If you stuck with a constant thread of reasoning rather than jumping from one idea to the next people would be more willing to believe that you actually have a real point and aren't just trying to bring up random points to 'rock the boat', as they say.

(Also, you might be mad, better get that checked out)

I've maintained my opinion, you have the right to disagree, but that doesn't mean you have the right to tell me I'm a troll for it. Why? Because I think it would be a good idea for Nintendo to release a very small handful of extremely early NES games that were crossover titles to have a mobile presence? That's worth being harrassed over?

I'm not jumping to and from any idea, some people responded to me and said they agreed and see my point but don't think it's wise and I agree to disagree with them. That doesn't mean anything I've said is inconsistent at all.

FoneBone

Don't get me wrong, as a iPad 2 + iPad 3 + iPhone 4 owner, I would LOVE to see Nintendo games on iOS, but as a business person I see why they haven't yet. They may yet do that, but it would torpedo their business model, I can see that clearly.

That's the problem with these discussions - there's an insane amount of confirmation bias coming from people who jump from "I want Nintendo games on my iOS" to "Nintendo developing for iOS would be a better business model than what they're doing right now."

I've maintained my opinion, you have the right to disagree, but that doesn't mean you have the right to tell me I'm a troll for it. Why? Because I think it would be a good idea for Nintendo to release a very small handful of extremely early NES games that were crossover titles to have a mobile presence? That's worth being harrassed over?

I'm not jumping to and from any idea, some people responded to me and said they agreed and see my point but don't think it's wise and I agree to disagree with them. That doesn't mean anything I've said is inconsistent at all.
I don't think you're trolling, but you don't seem to have any rejoinder to arguments about the value of IP exclusivity beyond "because I said it doesn't matter."

Nintendo losing money is extremely surprising. And you're right, there is plenty of value in their business which is why the market currently values it as being worth close to 20 billion dollars.

These articles have no impact on the stock price unless they contain some kind of new info.

The kind of people who buy shares generally have little idea about how specific markets work so when deciding what shares they want to buy and sell they take notice of analysts and if they read an article in whichan analyst is saying a company is doing things wrong (especially if that company happens to be running a loss at that moment in time) can easily put them off buying shares in that company or getbthem to sell the shares they may already own in it

once again I agree with analysts and not with neogaf, what a surprise. If anything I would say nintendo need not hurry, cash in the bank, current sales and all that.

TheNatural

My Member!
That's the problem with these discussions - there's an insane amount of confirmation bias coming from people who jump from "I want Nintendo games on my iOS" to "Nintendo developing for iOS would be a better business model than what they're doing right now."

I don't think you're trolling, but you don't seem to have any rejoinder to arguments about the value of IP exclusivity beyond "because I said so."

What is there to backup or argue? Some people think that those certain 30 year old games matter to stay exclusive and would do damage, and I don't.

No one has backed up that they would do harm either, what is there to back up? You either think that by releasing these games on a mobile platform does damage, or you don't. You act as if because I stated my opinion that I have some burden of proof that it wouldn't do harm when other people just say it would as fact without backing it up themselves?

It's called an opinion, and it's completely fine to agree to disagree without calling someone a "dumb shit troll" or twisting their words around into something they're not.

Cipherr

I don't think you're trolling, but you don't seem to have any rejoinder to arguments about the value of IP exclusivity beyond "because I said it doesn't matter."

Precisely this. Its a logical follow up to his position but he keeps either dodging that or essentially saying "Because I said so". I don't agree with aggressively calling him names (I censored a few of my own posts in that discussion) but Natural you are/were doing a pretty bad job of supporting your idea.

Its your opinion, so I have left you alone about it, but you got awful hot under the collar when we asked you to support it BEYOND your own personal feelings. Nothing hard, nothing concrete, no real world showings to support your personal assessment of value on these IP, nothing but "yeah well I think THIS! and since its my opinion, leave me alone".

I mean, I'm happy too, just don't be surprised when others have a go at you.

TheNatural

My Member!
Precisely this. Its a logical follow up to his position but he keeps either dodging that or essentially saying "Because I said so". I don't agree with aggressively calling him names (I censored a few of my own posts in that discussion) but Natural you are/were doing a pretty bad job of supporting your idea.

Its your opinion, so I have left you alone about it, but you got awful hot under the collar when we asked you to support it BEYOND your own personal feelings. Nothing hard, nothing concrete, no real world showings to support your personal assessment of value on these IP, nothing but "yeah well I think THIS! and since its my opinion, leave me alone".

I mean, I'm happy too, just don't be surprised when others have a go at you.

Read my last post. What is there to support or prove? In all the responses of "it would do damage to IP's and Nintendo's exclusivity" there's never a "hard" reason for that either. It's an opinion about a hypothetical situation, what am I support to say?

Why are you acting like the burden of proof is on me to prove it to YOU? It's an opinion.

EDIT: Also I gave examples of why I think the games are so common nowadays and even back then on another "platform" that I don't think it would do damage. Also about the Virtual Console being years old now and accounts transferring.

You don't have to agree with it, but because you don't agree doesn't mean I didn't give a reason why I thought this way.

Christine

And bundling is a benefit that nintendo has by having their own hardware and valuable IP's. In this particular discussion, you dont get to disqualify titles that exceeded 20m sold and were bundled at a time.

It might be best to spell out exactly why this is so. This argument's primarily about the ability of Nintendo software and software exclusivity to drive hardware sales. Most of this has concentrated on the aggregate value of their IP stable to indirectly create sales of hardware.

Bundles are an even stronger argument in favor of Nintendo software exclusivity. If you want to argue that NSMB Wii sold fewer than 20 million un-bundled copies, you admit that it more or less directly created over 5 million hardware sales.

IMO Nintendo will need to deliver on the "new experiences" they have promised on the 3DS. as the 3DS is more threatened from Apple and its devices than the WII U looks to be at the moment.

For the first time this year I saw kids playing with their iPod devices during the holidays. A few years ago, all of them seemed to be sharing a DS.

Can Nintendo discover a new Brain Training, a software experience that will lure the public while not being available anywhere else? Do they still have the capacity to innovate and engage the mass market? It remains to be seen, though I must admit it's a difficult goal.

Cipherr

What is there to backup or argue? Some people think that those certain 30 year old games matter to stay exclusive and would do damage, and I don't.

No one has backed up that they would do harm either

Well for one, people have clearly outlined that there is a risk involved. Harm COULD be done, this much is irrefutable. The truth is, none of us know the outcome, so that means there is a definite risk involved.

And second, you were asked to support your statement that these old games from 20 years ago had already exhausted their value. Opposing debaters showed you a box of the SMB 25th anniversary collection that just this generation sold MILLIONS of copies.

Your reply was that people only bought them as collectables, but not to play them, which is so ridiculous that I cannot even believe you said it. Furthermore the reason they bought it is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is, those games still hold value, and LOTS of it, no matter how you spin it, they generated millions in revenue and profit from the very games you are saying have exhausted all value.

If you want to be taken seriously, how about actually countering those two thoughts with real world information and rational reasoning rather than retreating into the cliched "Its my opinion and thats THAT" shell.

Bundles are an even stronger argument in favor of Nintendo software exclusivity. If you want to argue that NSMB Wii sold fewer than 20 million un-bundled copies, you admit that it more or less directly created over 5 million hardware sales.

That is a really good point.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
OBJECTION. A NEW ARGUMENT APPROACHES!

Let's talk *just* about iOS. There are approximately 400 million iOS devices out in the wild, right? Including 30 million+ iPhone's and like 11 million+ iPads sold in the last 3 months, right?

Now. Let's make the genuinely fair assumption that many people who have bought games for their iOS devices would be damn interested in buying a Mario game. Further, while we know many iOS games are like $0.99 (therein lying your point), we also know that some can be priced higher if they deliver a better experience...so lets say that Nintendo offers one up for $15-$20 and offers that caliber of experience. Mario is a brand name that everyone knows and if they make a full-fledged Mario game lots and lots of people will buy it. I for damn sure would. It'd be the new standard for gaming on the OS, hands down. It would be sitting at the top of the paid apps chart for a long, long time.

If just 10% of that iOS audience buys in (and they would, since Mario is that kind of name and iOS really does need full-featured games...which will come sooner or later) do you really think Nintendo would make "very little money" off of the investment? I mean, that's 40 million copies sold, and all they had to do was build it and put it on the iTunes store. No shipping, no boxes, no carts, no discs, etc.

Even if only 5% of that audience bought the game at that price, 20 million copies would be sold. What was the last console game that sold 20 million copies? That wasn't bundled with a console at some point? That's rare air indeed.

Think about it. If anyone can make an experience-defining game designed to take advantage of a touch screen in ways that make a game impossible on traditional controllers and desirable to all...Nintendo is that company.

That 300 million iOS devices includes my iTouch 2Gen that is in a drawer somewhere at my old house and my brothers iPhone 4S, which despite being a gamer all his life, he refuses to buy games for his phone aside Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Cut the Rope for a mysterious reason (no tongue in cheek, I really don't know the reason).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
once again I agree with analysts and not with neogaf, what a surprise. If anything I would say nintendo need not hurry, cash in the bank, current sales and all that.

Considering the track record of analysts when it comes to nintendo, thats not a good thing.

TheNatural

My Member!
Well for one, people have clearly outlined that there is a risk involved. Harm COULD be done, this much is irrefutable. The truth is, none of us know the outcome, so that means there is a definite risk involved.

If you want to be taken seriously, how about actually countering those two thoughts with real world information and rational reasoning rather than retreating into the cliched "Its my opinion and thats THAT" shell.

Except you're just doing it yourself. You're making me be the one to have to "prove" it to you because harm COULD be done. Why could harm be done? Because its your opinion, you've given no facts as to why, it's just your opinion that if it's released it could do damage. You've given me no examples of it happening before to Nintendo or any other companies, and I didn't hassle you over it. You never said "well when it happened in this instance, or when Nintendo did this before this happened."

And about the Collection thing, someone posted a picture and a one line "that pretty much means your wrong." What am I supposed to say to that? Dedicate a 6 paragraph post because someone posted a picture and a one line zinger saying my opinion means shit?

Super Mario Collection came out as a limited edition collectors item. What does that relate to whether or not Super Mario Bros existing on a mobile platform would ever damage the sales of that title or any other Super Mario Bros series title? I pointed out that Super Mario Bros has been on several platforms before that, even if it's Nintendo's own, and still didn't damage Nintendo's sales for this collection. Hell, even on Nintendo's own VC concurrently with the game. Why would an iOS port?

I'm not understanding what you want me to say. I've said my opinion, I've agreed to disagree, I've given reasons but my reasons are "wrong" to your eyes, and since they're wrong they don't count as reasons apparently. What else do you want me to say?

The issue is less whether Nintendo could make money on smartphones - although with the market being what it is, I think it's far from a given that even a new Mario game could sell 20 million copies at that price point - but whether the money they'd make would offset the potential cost to their hardware business.

Oh, was the premise of the question that they would shut down their hardware business and go competely 3rd party? I was just speaking about them making a couple of specific IP's as multiplat. Like a spin off Mario series, with all the appropriate bells and whistles, but build for touch screens. I don't know how I'd feel about them shutting down entirely and going 3rd party. I'd have to think on that a bit more than I feel like doing at the moment.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
So about 3 years ago? (also, that came bundled over the holidays, but whatever)

And before that? The point here was that it's a rare feat, but one Nintendo could produce over and over again if they decided to tap into that iOS audience. I don't see how anyone could disagree with that. What name carries more weight in the gaming world than Nintendo? And with so many iOS gamers being casual gamers, they'd fit into a lot of what Nintendo is trying to do perfectly, no?

Mario or not, I doubt many people would drop $15-$20 for an iOS game.
Then we fundamentally disagree on the nature and potential of the market.

You think there is only a small market for expensive games because there are no expensive games (or, because almost all other games have been cheap and short games). I think a sizable market exists that hasn't been tapped because there have been no games made that are expansive and deep enough to justify a $15-$20 price. I believe that they most certainly can be made...and that if they come, so will the money. That's why I like the Republique project so much. It's pushing forward into the Undiscovered Country.

Again, if 5% bought in...20 million copies+ get sold. You can make a lot of fair arguments, but not one that suggests that 5% of the iOS market would NOT buy a high-quality Mario game at a $15-$20 price. I don't accept the notion. If you do, then we can agree to disagree.

Find the most successful Mobile devlopers and pull their earnings sheets. Find a breakdown of how many iOS games sell at what price and what percentage of the market is held by games priced at 10$ or higher, find out whats the highest sold game (not ad supported, but paid) and lets use all that information to try and put a best case scenario.
Sorry, but I don't accept this premise.

There is no developer like Nintendo. There are no full-fledged DS/Vita/PSP/3DS-caliber games on iOS yet. You can't compare someone like Ngmoco (I assume one of the most successful mobile developers) to fucking Nintendo Corporation. If someone like Nintendo--with the mindshare, mascots, and IPs--decided they wanted to make a series of high-quality, full-length touch screen-only games, they would/could create a new market for AAA gaming software. What little projects that have been done in the past won't matter, as they'll be charting the future.

Personally, I think all the games and developers we've seen on iOS are bunch of small fish and small fish projects in a big pond waiting for a bigass shark to come in and wreck shit. Whether that's Nintendo or someone else (like Camoflaj) doesn't matter to me.

Of course, they would not do any of this and I don't really think any of this will happen. Just furthering the discussion and chuckling at the premise that NINTENDO couldn't make games worthy of a $20 price...and that a large enough portion wouldn't want to buy them. I think that's laughable. But I've seen this vein of logic over and over again that more expensive iOS games *wont'* sell. When we see a AAA game (in both quality and length) get made for iOS and it fails to sell, then that logic will have something to point to. Until then, it's just a pessimistic argument and one I simply disagree with.

Some see a desolate world for touch screen gaming; others see fertile ground.

FoneBone

Oh, was the premise of the question that they would shut down their hardware business and go competely 3rd party? I was just speaking about them making a couple of specific IP's as multiplat. Like a spin off Mario series, with all the appropriate bells and whistles, but build for touch screens. I don't know how I'd feel about them shutting down entirely and going 3rd party. I'd have to think on that a bit more than I feel like doing at the moment.

The quote you're responding to was about them going multiplatform.

Cipherr

Except you're just doing it yourself. You're making me be the one to have to "prove" it to you because harm COULD be done. Why could harm be done? Because its your opinion, you've given no facts as to why, it's just your opinion that if it's released it could do damage.

I'm going to have to take an Excedrin and head on back to the Diablo 3 thread. This is too much. I think you are trying so hard that you are losing touch with the real world.

Natural, it is not my opinion that its possible for it to cause harm to Nintendos brand.... Its possible, because its possible... Alot of things are possible. My opinion doesnt make it so, probability makes it so.

What I think you meant to say is thats its my opinion that if they took this risk it would actually turn out badly. But its not my opinion that it COULD turn out badly, its a bloody fact. Its a fact that it could turn out well also... Thats why its a risk. And in business you need to have a good solid reason for taking such a risk, and not only that, the possible reward needs to be very substantial.

Christine

Super Mario Collection came out as a limited edition collectors item. What does that relate to whether or not Super Mario Bros existing on a mobile platform would ever damage the sales of that title or any other Super Mario Bros series title? I pointed out that Super Mario Bros has been on several platforms before that, even if it's Nintendo's own, and still didn't damage Nintendo's sales for this collection. Hell, even on Nintendo's own VC concurrently with the game. Why would an iOS port?

This is terribly off-point. The argument is that Nintendo software exclusivity is a critical sales driver for their hardware, not that software sales in a given title or franchise would suffer. Using the qualifier "even if it's Nintendo's own [platform]" is outright incoherent because the entire discussion is about exclusivity against non-Nintendo platforms.

Nintendo will not entertain other platforms for the following reasons:

- the software model is different on mobile platforms, games do not sell at $35-45. They sell at much lower price ranges. That means either Nintendo take a higher risk for high investment games, or much more likely, invest less so they can sell for less.

- the hardware is under someone else's control and that company take the royalties, not Nintendo. Nintendo make all their money, and fund everything they make or do with hardware and software royalties.

- whatever Nintendo could make on other platforms, it would not be enough to make up for the shortfall in royalties that they would experience by torpedoing the single greatest selling point of their own hardware: the fact that their own hardware is the ONLY place to get great Nintendo games, nay, some of the greatest videogames period.

- Frankly, Nintendo deliver synergistic hardware and software, each are designed for the other. Who would want to see Nintendo creatively hamstrung by the hardware and peripheral strategies of other companies?

Analysts who don't acknowledge the above really shouldn't embarrass themselves talking about videogame companies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ah, yet another Nintendo is doomed article, never get tired of these. I am starting to get the notion that these analysts just want to play New Super Mario Brothers on the iPhone without have to buy another device.

The kind of people who buy shares generally have little idea about how specific markets work so when deciding what shares they want to buy and sell they take notice of analysts and if they read an article in whichan analyst is saying a company is doing things wrong (especially if that company happens to be running a loss at that moment in time) can easily put them off buying shares in that company or getbthem to sell the shares they may already own in it

lol, come on man. These articles are written to sell newspapers, magazines and attract hits to websites. The kind of people who are buying enough shares to influence prices are working for huge investment banks or funds that have internal analysts and are not making decisions based on some throwaway article that has zero new information.

The only thing that moves the price of the stock of a large company like Nintendo is new information, not old information wrapped around bullshit.

Cipherr

So about 3 years ago? (also, that came bundled over the holidays, but whatever)
And before that?

New Super Mario Bros. (26.88 million)[2]
Nintendogs (23.26 million)[3]
Mario Kart DS (21.04 million)[2]
Super Mario Bros. (40.24 million)[54][55]
Super Mario World (20.60 million)
Wii Sports (76.76 million)[83]
Mario Kart Wii (31.91 million)[83][84]
Wii Sports Resort (29.87 million)[83]
Wii Play (27.38 million)[85]
Wii Fit (22.61 million)[85]
Wii Fit Plus (20.24 million)[83]

And as we just discussed a little earlier, all bundles do is significantly support the value of exclusive IPs to Nintendos hardware. It helps their current stance on this, it doesnt hurt. So TBH, the more bundles the better.

You think there is only a small market for expensive games because there are no expensive games (or, because almost all other games have been cheap and short games). I think a sizable market exists that hasn't been tapped because there have been no games made that are expansive and deep enough to justify a $15-$20 price. I believe that if they come, so will the money.

Again, if 5% bought in...20 million copies+ get sold. You can make a lot of fair arguments, but not one that suggests that 5% of the iOS market would NOT buy a high-quality Mario game at a $15-$20 price. I don't accept the notion. If you do, then we can agree to disagree.

Sorry, but I don't accept this premise.

There is no developer like Nintendo. There are no full-fledged DS/Vita/PSP/3DS-caliber games on iOS yet. You can't compare someone like Ngmoco (I assume one of the most successful mobile developers) to fucking Nintendo Corporation. If someone like Nintendo--with the mindshare, mascots, and IPs--decided they wanted to make a series of high-quality, full-length touch screen-only games, they would/could create a new market for AAA gaming software. What little projects that have been done in the past won't matter, as they'll be charting the future.

Personally, I think all the games and developers we've seen on iOS are bunch of small fish and small fish projects in a big pond waiting for a bigass shark to come in and wreck shit. Whether that's Nintendo or someone else (like Camoflaj) doesn't matter to me.

Of course, they would not do any of this and I don't really think any of this will happen. Just furthering the discussion and chuckling at the premise that NINTENDO couldn't make games worthy of a $20 price...and that a large enough portion wouldn't want to buy them. I think that's laughable. But I've seen this vein of logic over and over again that more expensive iOS games *wont'* sell. When we see a AAA game (in both quality and length) get made for iOS and it fails to sell, then that logic will have something to point to. Until then, it's just a pessimistic argument and one I simply disagree with.

Some see a desolate world for touch screen gaming; others see fertile ground.

I dont think I have EVER seen you take this stance before, and if you have, I must didnt see it. I dont have a problem with musing on what the potential of the market is, but here, you are refusing to use real world numbers, and striking it all from the record because of how you 'feel'

You may very well be right, but we, and certainly not multi billion dollar corporations dont make decisions by ignoring the market, trends and data. I started looking around after you posted and found that higher priced games dont do nearly as well, which calls a serious doubt to just assuming 20 million copies of a 15$ 25 year old rom would sell on mobile phones. But you are basically just saying my argument is invalid because..... fertile land and Nintendo magic.

Cmon now man. You are taking us out of the realm of structured conversation and debate, and into pure imagination, speculation and wish upon a star mode with no actual basis on anything.

I mean look at this:

The problem is, we probably could. We could look at the best selling games, their prices and the most successful games on iOS, we could maybe look at Nintendos best selling franchises this gen versus Sony and MS's best selling first party titles to get an idea percentage wise, of just how much more Nintendos first party games sell versus their rivals, then we could use that to try and estimate how many more paid sales Nintendo might do versus Rovio for example. We could use that in order to make a fair argument that 5% wouldnt buy a Mario game at that price. But you are pre-emptively saying that its invalid, just because.....

And second, you were asked to support your statement that these old games from 20 years ago had already exhausted their value. Opposing debaters showed you a box of the SMB 25th anniversary collection that just this generation sold MILLIONS of copies.

Your reply was that people only bought them as collectables, but not to play them, which is so ridiculous that I cannot even believe you said it. Furthermore the reason they bought it is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is, those games still hold value, and LOTS of it, no matter how you spin it, they generated millions in revenue and profit from the very games you are saying have exhausted all value.

That is a really good point.

Don't forget his dumb as hell "LOL Emulators!" argument or pointing to (Nintendo made) arcade systems as examples of Nintendo products outside of Nintendo consoles. I doubt he can present anymore valid a defense for his opinion than a flat-earther could for theirs.

muu

These analysts must be blabbering on about Mario iOS all the time because of their assumption that the experience is simple enough for a smartphone. A 2D mario probably would be somewhat playable but I sure as hell am not going through the frustration that is touch controls for a game like that. It's pretty obvious they're looking down on the title like this, as you never hear them spew out the same shit about say, Halo or CoD. The production value from a cursory inspection is magnitudes different in a title like this.

yurinka

Stop this 'Nintendo is doomed', they should go to mobile phones bullshit.
They are in a transition between generations in both console and handheld at the same time.
This is why DS and Wii declined and 3DS had a low start until it got a good price and the first huge games.

Phones market is giant, but only a small portion of phone users play habitually games, or at least the kind of traditional console games. In phones, there is also a generation transition from cell phones to smartphones. This is why there are huge sales here, because the cell phone market was giant and now smartphones are affordable.

Traditional games can't be played decently using only a touchscreen without adapting / dumbing down them dramatically. Pricing and sales in phone games are too low to keep the console game budgets.

Nintendo in phones doesn't make sense AT ALL.

They only need to make sure WiiU is powerful and cheap enough, and that it gets huge sellers early and a good 3rd party support, and to keep releasing huge sellers in 3DS and they will keep making a lot of money. To release a PS Suite like service with phone games at a low price, making it easy to develop for indies (WiiWare,DSiware etc was hell for small studios) would also help them these few iOS games that are appealing for Nintendo users.

These analysts must be blabbering on about Mario iOS all the time because of their assumption that the experience is simple enough for a smartphone. A 2D mario probably would be somewhat playable but I sure as hell am not going through the frustration that is touch controls for a game like that. It's pretty obvious they're looking down on the title like this, as you never hear them spew out the same shit about say, Halo or CoD. The production value from a cursory inspection is magnitudes different in a title like this.

If anything allowing mario to be played with such poor quality controls will just devalue the quality of the mario brand

Christine

And with so many iOS gamers being casual gamers, they'd fit into a lot of what Nintendo is trying to do perfectly, no?

No, not really. Nintendo's not specifically about attracting casual gamers, as good of a fit as that audience is to their philosophies of accessibility, multiplayer, and re-play. Nintendo is about asymmetric competition realized by whatever ability they possess to autonomously define their own playing field. They may have bet poorly this time by betting on 3D display technology, but direct symmetric competition is antithetical to their methods and goals.

TheNatural

My Member!
I'm going to have to take an Excedrin and head on back to the Diablo 3 thread. This is too much. I think you are trying so hard that you are losing touch with the real world.

Natural, it is not my opinion that its possible for it to cause harm to Nintendos brand.... Its possible, because its possible... Alot of things are possible. My opinion doesnt make it so, probability makes it so.

What I think you meant to say is thats its my opinion that if they took this risk it would actually turn out badly. But its not my opinion that it COULD turn out badly, its a bloody fact. Its a fact that it could turn out well also... Thats why its a risk. And in business you need to have a good solid reason for taking such a risk, and not only that, the possible reward needs to be very substantial.

Except that being complacent and doing nothing is a risk in itself. Everything carries risks, inaction or action. It's not a safer path to do nothing, it's a path in itself. There is no 'default' position here that someone must move from that carries risk, there's a burden of risk of what you think the default here is: just standing still and staying complacent is a risk itself.

I'm not losing touch with anything, other than I know I have the very small minority opinion here. And it's an internet message board - if you have the minority opinion you're going to have half the hive tell you it's wrong or the other half call you incoherent, a troll, or whatever else trying to personally attack you.

I mean if you want to disagree with me, then disagree with me, hey that's fine. Just don't call me names, set me up with strawman arguments making analogies I never made and have nothing to do with what I said, and so on.

I have no dog in this fight. I've played Nintendo games as long as anyone else. Practically all of my money to the videogame hobby over my life has went directly to that company. And I've never even so much as touched a smartphone. So I have no agenda, I'm not trolling.

I just happen to think that it wouldn't do damage to Nintendo and it would be a positive to release some very old arcade/early NES games on mobile platforms to make a little dough, to appease stakeholders, and to have at least a small presence on a platform to maybe increase awareness of their brand. I'm not saying go make exclusives, hell i'm not even saying go to the level of putting the Zelda NES game on the system. My limits are pretty small with this idea, it's nothing grand.

That's all, nothing more needs to be read into it. I understand this is the nature of the beast where if you have an unpopular opinion, and even suggesting Nintendo go anywhere near smartphones is about as unpopular as it gets in this gaming forum, because of ridiculous analysts telling them to abandon ships altogether.

TheNatural

My Member!
Don't forget his dumb as hell "LOL Emulators!" argument or pointing to (Nintendo made) arcade systems as examples of Nintendo products outside of Nintendo consoles. I doubt he can present anymore valid a defense for his opinion than a flat-earther could for theirs.

The examples were how commonplace the games themselves are, not as competitive threats. But hey, you're only here to flame and call me names so what does it matter?

guek

Banned
Yeah, I disagree with TheNatural but I don't think he's being a troll. Perhaps not entirely lucid imo, but not a troll.

Cipherr

Except that being complacent and doing nothing is a risk in itself. Everything carries risks, inaction or action. It's not a safer path to do nothing, it's a path in itself. There is no 'default' position here that someone must move from that carries risk, there's a burden of risk of what you think the default here is: just standing still and staying complacent is a risk itself.

I'm not losing touch with anything, other than I know I have the very small minority opinion here. And it's an internet message board - if you have the minority opinion you're going to have half the hive tell you it's wrong or the other half call you incoherent, a troll, or whatever else trying to personally attack you.

I mean if you want to disagree with me, then disagree with me, hey that's fine. Just don't call me names, set me up with strawman arguments making analogies I never made and have nothing to do with what I said, and so on.

I have no dog in this fight. I've played Nintendo games as long as anyone else. Practically all of my money to the videogame hobby over my life has went directly to that company. And I've never even so much as touched a smartphone. So I have no agenda, I'm not trolling.

I just happen to think that it wouldn't do damage to Nintendo and it would be a positive to release some very old arcade/early NES games on mobile platforms to make a little dough, to appease stakeholders, and to have at least a small presence on a platform to maybe increase awareness of their brand. I'm not saying go make exclusives, hell i'm not even saying go to the level of putting the Zelda NES game on the system. My limits are pretty small with this idea, it's nothing grand.

That's all, nothing more needs to be read into it. I understand this is the nature of the beast where if you have an unpopular opinion, and even suggesting Nintendo go anywhere near smartphones is about as unpopular as it gets in this gaming forum, because of ridiculous analysts telling them to abandon ships altogether.

That was the biggest side step I have ever ...... You literally didnt address anything I said, and actually really and truly did retreat into the "My opinion" shell again.

Ill tell you what, me and you are cool. Lets just leave it here. We aren't going anywhere but in circles here.

And by the way, not taking the action YOU think would workout is NOT inaction. They have made some very clear changes in their policies, and even the approach of their next console. They are taking action, just not the one you would like. The path they are taking is the one they know well, and that has worked for them in the past, and is currently working for them as they clearly move back towards profitability and another wildly successful handheld.

Taking the path you are familiar with, and the path that has worked for you prior is indeed LESS risk than taking the path unknown to you. That risk is ratcheted up with taking that unknown path in ANY way has a chance of undermining your core business model, be it immediately, or down the line.

legend166

Total app store revenue in 2011: $3.6B - http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/07/apple...5b-downloads-425000-apps-nearly-3-6b-revenue/

Total Nintendo revenue in 2011: $12B - http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/41/41877.html

I will never understand why people want Nintendo to sacrifice their hardware business in an effort to gain market share in a smaller, more competitive market when the results of success are smaller and the result of failure is a complete loss of mind share and competitive advantage.
Because anaylsts are dumcophs.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Total app store revenue in 2011: $3.6B - http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/07/apple...5b-downloads-425000-apps-nearly-3-6b-revenue/

I will never understand why people want Nintendo to sacrifice their hardware business in an effort to gain market share in a smaller, more competitive market when the results of success are smaller and the result of failure is a complete loss of mind share and competitive advantage.

If this doesn't send the point home I don't know what will.

jman2050

So the argument I'm seeing from some people is that Nintendo should sabotage their own currently very valuable business to make a very high-risk bid for a market that isn't nearly as valuable as the one they're sabotaging.

This makes sense how?

Somnid

So what you're saying is:

Total app store revenue in 2013: $4.68B

Total Nintendo revenue in 2013: $8.4B

TheNatural

My Member!
That was the biggest side step I have ever ...... You literally didnt address anything I said, and actually really and truly did retreat into the "My opinion" shell again.

Ill tell you what, me and you are cool. Lets just leave it here. We aren't going anywhere but in circles here.

And by the way, not taking the action YOU think would workout is NOT inaction. They have made some very clear changes in their policies, and even the approach of their next console. They are taking action, just not the one you would like. The path they are taking is the one they know well, and that has worked for them in the past, and is currently working for them as they clearly move back towards profitability and another wildly successful handheld.

Taking the path you are familiar with, and the path that has worked for you prior is indeed LESS risk than taking the path unknown to you.

I disagree completely and I'll tell you a great example. Nintendo stuck with the path of the N64 with the cartridges they always used and were totally destroyed by Sony's Playstation and lost practically all third party support. Ramifications of that decision to not take "the risk" to discs are still felt today. They essentially created major competition that dominated for two generations and still have yet to recover the third party support they lost way back then. Maybe they had no idea about discs or never worked with them before, but the fact they took cartridges was a risk because it alienated all their third party supports with heavy costs and low performance, and helped created a giant of a videogame company as a rival.

Maybe I'm using the term risk at the substitution of opportunity cost, but everything has an opportunity cost. It's a common phrase in business to say "there is no free lunch." There's an opportunity cost in anything you do or don't do, always.

If only that 400 million number represented 400 million unique devices belonging to 400 million unique individuals who are buying games for the devices. That number, while very impressive, don't get me wrong, lowers substantially when you consider the people who have both an iPhone and iPad and just recently upgraded, doing who knows what with the old one or families with multiple iPhones/iPods. Even if the number came out to 200 million unique devices belonging to unique individuals who use them to play games and give a Mario game 10% sales, you don't reach the numbers NSMBWii did at $50, not to mention the hit on hardware sales.

Apple has not ruined gaming but they certainly have ruined gaming discussion/analysis. The Apple-slurping by the media has gone off the deep end. You like their devices and the games available on them, great, more power to you. But stop suggesting that everyone should bow to them and concede the entire industry.

Busaiku

3.6 > 12

Haunted

Yet what Nintendo faces is a fundamental shift in gaming habits that analyst argue may require it to shrink its hardware business and instead chase profits for Super Mario and other game titles on devices built by other firms.
Nintendo going third party has been a joke for a decade.

Now it's reality, analysts are actually arguing this.

Taker666

I just noticed that David Gibson is one of the analysts...

...he's the one who was claiming a few weeks ago that Activision wasn't going to release software for the Wii U so it wouldn't get Call Of Duty.

Step aside Michael Pachter.

Nintendo would be crazy to release games for iOS and Android. It would only destroy their business.

That said I DO want them to do it, just for the reactions and for the lols =D

DrWong

Guys, guys... I can see it (in my dreams): Nintendo will troll smartphone/tablets/social media by creating an app/light game which will be like a Trojan Horse. They just need some of their big brains to come with the cool touch app/game idea, with a nice little addicting curve, attractive design, release it on the stores at a cheap price. Promote it as a modest project, a test, the "little" Nintendo app just to check = new successful IP.

Secound round: release a new game with this IP, but a more big game with tons of new content, exclusively for their system.

Iterate this troll from time to time, only with new IP (no Mario game or known IP, never), "casual" targeted. Cost shit and they could make a lot of money while (and first) promoting their content.

dacuk

I just noticed that David Gibson is one of the analysts...

...he's the one who was claiming a few weeks ago that Activision wasn't going to release software for the Wii U so it wouldn't get Call Of Duty.

Step aside Michael Pachter.

No analyst can reach the level of delusion regarding Nintendo like Pachter.

Cipherr

Maybe I'm using the term risk at the substitution of opportunity cost, but everything has an opportunity cost. It's a common phrase in business to say "there is no free lunch." There's an opportunity cost in anything you do or don't do, always.

Yes you are. And Im not going to let you drag this off topic any more than that. If you want to have this discussion, and you are not walking away from it, you need to go back several posts in our exchange and directly respond to the points I put forth that you dodged half a page ago.

Just in case you have forgotten.

Except you're just doing it yourself. You're making me be the one to have to "prove" it to you because harm COULD be done. Why could harm be done? Because its your opinion

This is wrong. Its not my opinion that its possible making this move could harm them or their brand in some way, its a literal fact that its a possibility.

There is a risk involved in doing this, it would help if you could provide some solid reasoning using real world data as to why this risk is worth it. Something other than "I think that" would be a really good start. You tried to slither out of this one by saying that there was no risk, and that it was merely my opinion that there was a risk.

Its not. Its just the truth.

Second:

And about the Collection thing, someone posted a picture and a one line "that pretty much means your wrong." What am I supposed to say to that?

What you are supposed to say to that is anything that would solidify, rectify and perhaps support your statement that:

It's not a horrible move, because they've already used all the value of these games on their own hardware.

You see, in this statement here, you stated that the reason doing this isnt a bad move is solely because these games no longer hold any value at all on Nintendos own hardware.

This is factually false as proved by this 25th anniversary game selling millions worldwide. These old game do still hold value, and LOTS of it, specifically for Nintendos own hardware, the only place where this game could be played.

And this part of your post was handled properly by Ion

This is terribly off-point. The argument is that Nintendo software exclusivity is a critical sales driver for their hardware, not that software sales in a given title or franchise would suffer. Using the qualifier "even if it's Nintendo's own [platform]" is outright incoherent because the entire discussion is about exclusivity against non-Nintendo platforms.

Then of course, if your up for it. There's always this to address:

You see, these are all real world, non-arguable reasons why they probably wouldn't consider it. Actual reasons based on something other than feelings. Cold hard data. Now if you just want to say your piece and move on, fine. Do that.

But if you are genuinely interested in having an exchange with the people that disagree with you. This is where you should start. And if you just need an example of such a thing in history where doing something similar damaged the companies brand. Look no further than the example I'm pretty sure I put up on like, the first page. Apple licensing out Macintosh was a gods damned disaster for the company and the brand. Nothing good came of it. That Nintendo has never made that mistake is a good thing.

Yeah, I disagree with TheNatural but I don't think he's being a troll. Perhaps not entirely lucid imo, but not a troll.

You sure? He's about three posts of inane rambling dreck away from doubling the post count of the second highest poster (Cipherr) and has yet to prove anything but "it's my opinion" despite very well worded counterarguments by the likes of Cipherr, TwinIonEngines, dreams-visions, etc. and his "opinion" flies in the face of what is generally accepted fact regarding Nintendo's method of operation. It has all the earmarks of a troll attempt to me.

Effect

If this doesn't send the point home I don't know what will.

Oh it'll be ignored as it always is because it doesn't fit the pro-iOS narrative some have. Facts and reality never seem to get in the way.

Top Bottom