• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters gives analyst estimations of Nintendo FY results (official release tomorrow)

Cipherr

Does anyone expect GTA V to be available on iOS? And we're talking here about Rockstar releasing a game about ten years old recently on iOS in GTA III. No one expects GTA V there.

Really? SO noone would expect Nintendo to put titles on Android and iOS in the future? Theres absolutely NO risk that people would expect that?

I find that hilarious seeing as, even though the CEO has personally stated it will never happen, just based off of analysts statements YOU PERSONALLY already expect them to put games on iOS and Android.

Everyone says iOS and Android games should be developed, and laughs at this, but I actually think Nintendo will within two years.

You aren't doing your position any favors here.

They can't justify a dedicated portable. So the only way for them to get the games they want is to try to sink the dedicated handheld market. This type of thinking leads to a lot of fanboyism.

Can't say I have much sympathy. You want fart apps and iTunes syncing, you buy an iPod. You want good games, you buy something for games.

Derrick01

Banned
Well apple just blew out their earnings. Apple is just killing it.

Not sure what that has to do with journalists and analysts blowing smoke up everyone's ass about companies being doomed unless they embrace ios. Especially when Nintendo and MS are doing pretty well for themselves, and even Sony's gaming department is doing ok.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand, why do all this people believe that Nintendo becoming an iOS developer is the best way to go for the company. It doesn't make any sense to me. Is it plausible that "Nintendo is doomed and can do nothing to battle against the inevitable a Apple's Global monopoly". But that would mean that they were defeated and inevitably yield a smaller company with lower revenue. If Nintendo overnight becomes iOS most successful game developer and Mario Touch sells 10 times better (revenue wise) than Angry Birds Space, it would still be a smaller operation than the current Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone name an iOS port of a console game, that's better than the console original?

RE4?
MGS4?
Mega Man X?
Street Fighter IV?
Devil May Cry?
King of Fighters?

No. Doing any kind of fast-paced action that requires something more than cutting the fruit or flicking the bird fucking sucks on a touch-screen device.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Because the iOS is CURRENT. If Apple had something they developed 30 years ago worth value they've exhausted all revenue streams for on their own hardware platforms, that would make them money on something else, then hell yeah it would be worth it.

You're talking about the equivalent of making Super Mario 3D Land available on phones, when I'm arguing the equivalent of making Marathon or Oregon Trail available. Big difference.
i agree that is a difference yet i think the value if Mario is the IP more than the games. Nintendos value proposition g
ets weaker if the IP is not tied to the hardware.

Nintendo can no longer control how these games are played, which is also a liability to the Ip. Mario means tight platforming to consumers. They lose control overthese types of things once mario is played on third party hardware

Nintendo has an amazing first party, don't understand why some people in the biz forget this. Their first party catalog genarates an absurb amount of money. When Nintendo's first party turns to shit, then people could talk, but right now, they're good.

Not sure what that has to do with journalists and analysts blowing smoke up everyone's ass about companies being doomed unless they embrace ios. Especially when Nintendo and MS are doing pretty well for themselves, and even Sony's gaming department is doing ok.

Not to mention that Sony is doing exactly what they're advising in making it's games available to a wider range of devices (Playstation Suite), and it's doing them no favours.

TheNatural

My Member!
LOL forget it. When someone can give me a coherent response without trying to compare apples and oranges or start everything off with "so you're saying ..." or "you think .." and then proceding to make up a bunch of bullshit that doesn't fit anything that I'm saying, get back to me.

I think it would be a nice strategy to release very old games because it would shut their stakeholders up without giving up anything of real value to appease them, while at the same time making Nintendo money. And no, I don't buy that bullshit that it would destroy their exclusivity or brand value or all that crap.

Hell, Nintendo with the NES did it and didn't have a problem with it in the arcades:

http://www.mariowiki.com/Vs._Super_Mario_Bros.

Many of these old NES games were originally arcade titles or made into arcade titles. I don't recall the NES having any trouble or Nintendo's value being dropped because of it. Hell, there's a chance if done correctly, they could use it as a way to market FOR something like the 3DS or Wii U in a certain way. Pokemon even has some apps as I recall.

guek

Banned
Did Wii Music really make more revenue than the App Store? I said wow.

I'm not so sure about that. It only sold around 3 million. That's only $150 million in revenue, and the appstore is a little under $2 billion iirc

Mario Kart Wii at 30 million LTD, which is close to $1.5 billion.

Christine

Because the iOS is CURRENT. If Apple had something they developed 30 years ago worth value they've exhausted all revenue streams for on their own hardware platforms, that would make them money on something else, then hell yeah it would be worth it.

You're talking about the equivalent of making Super Mario 3D Land available on phones, when I'm arguing the equivalent of making Marathon or Oregon Trail available. Big difference.

To push your analogy to the breaking point, Super Mario Bros. is the equivalent of Marathon or Oregon Trail?

Super Mario Bros. is both current and relevant. It's never really dropped off the market entirely--the biggest gap in support was N64 and OG Gameboy, during the years '93-'99.

What drastic changes have happened in recent years to "exhaust all revenue streams" for this product after a quarter-century of ongoing sales success?

Hell, Nintendo with the NES did it and didn't have a problem with it in the arcades:

Many of these old NES games were originally arcade titles or made into arcade titles. I don't recall the NES having any trouble or Nintendo's value being dropped because of it. Hell, there's a chance if done correctly, they could use it as a way to market FOR something like the 3DS or Wii U in a certain way. Pokemon even has some apps as I recall.

What in the name of sanity are you going on about? These arcade games are Nintendo software on Nintendo hardware, irrelevant to any discussion of third-party publishing.

guek

Banned
LOL forget it. When someone can give me a coherent response without trying to compare apples and oranges or start everything off with "so you're saying ..." or "you think .." and then proceding to make up a bunch of bullshit that doesn't fit anything that I'm saying, get back to me.

Stomping your foot and saying another person's argument is invalid because you say so isn't a very thoughtful way to participate in a debate.

TheNatural

My Member!
To push your analogy to the breaking point, Super Mario Bros. is the equivalent of Marathon or Oregon Trail?

Super Mario Bros. is both current and relevant. It's never really dropped off the market entirely--the biggest gap in support was N64 and OG Gameboy, during the years '93-'99.

What drastic changes have happened in recent years to "exhaust all revenue streams" for this product after a quarter-century of ongoing sales success?

I'm talking the specific NES game Super Mario Bros, made over 25 years ago. Not literally Super Mario Bros the series.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I think it would be a nice strategy to release very old games because it would shut their stakeholders up without giving up anything of real value to appease them, while at the same time making Nintendo money. And no, I don't buy that bullshit that it would destroy their exclusivity or brand value or all that crap.

If you don't see how arcade machines are completely different, I don't know what to say. Also, for a more modern example, they have F-Zero and Mario Kart games in arcades, too.

I'm curious why you think that keeping brand exclusivity is not a good thing for a company that lives off its brands.

StevieP

Banned
I'm not so sure about that. It only sold around 3 million. That's only $150 million in revenue, and the appstore is a little under $2 billion iirc

Mario Kart Wii at 30 million LTD, which is close to $1.5 billion.

Maybe frankie meant that as a standalone piece of software, it has made more money than any other standalone piece of software (such as Angry Birds)

Final-Super-Mario-All-Stars-Arriving-March-13.jpg

That refutes your point in its entirety.

FoneBone

TheNatural can't seem to grasp the idea that NES games on iOS might impact the perception of the IPs as a whole, and not just of those particular games.

Gaborn

Perhaps analysts would give up the "Mario on Mobile" wishful thinking if Nintendo give us a more attractive handheld. The fact of the matter is that it's not a very chic platform. In fact, I'd argue the 3DS is downright ugly, with its clamshell design very reminiscent of the bizarro "feature phones" which litter the Japanese market.

If Nintendo designed more sleek hardware and finally get their eShop up to snuff, perhaps this mantra would finally die. Downloads of full retail titles will help. Iwata has already stated interest in this, and adults don't want to have to carry around dozens of game cards to play whatever game they're in the mood for at any given time.

As opposed to the... Vita? lol. calling it not very chic is really just another way of saying "I don't really like it" but the damn thing SELLS. It's popular with people. It's the IN system to have for people so far.

TheNatural

My Member!
Stomping your foot and saying another person's argument is invalid because you say so isn't a very thoughtful way to participate in a debate.

I'm not participating in a debate, I'm giving my opinion. The rest have been people claiming things I'm saying and making ridiculous comparisons to other products that don't fit.

So yeah, if you're going to give me the "so you think .." or "well you're saying" line with a bunch of crap, don't even respond to me.

tuffy

I don't understand, why do all this people believe that Nintendo becoming an iOS developer is the best way to go for the company. It doesn't make any sense to me.
If anything, Nintendo should do the opposite and try to bring more iOS titles into their own online stores. Mario titles + Angry birds would be more compelling than Mario titles alone, for example.

StevieP

Banned
As opposed to the... Vita? lol. calling it not very chic is really just another way of saying "I don't really like it" but the damn thing SELLS. It's popular with people. It's the IN system to have for people so far.

Speaking of the Vita, why is no one asking for its content on smartphones and ipads?
The hardware is quite literally the same (though dual vs quad etc).

TheNatural

My Member!
That refutes your point in its entirety.

People bought that as a piece of memorabilia as a collectors item, but it would lose value if Super Mario Bros were available elsewhere - even though it was on a good dozen platforms before that collection were out?

guek

Banned
Maybe frankie meant that as a standalone piece of software, it has made more money than any other standalone piece of software (such as Angry Birds)

Yeah that makes more sense. According to a quick web search, Rovio made about $100 million in revenue in 2011.

TheNatural

My Member!
TheNatural can't seem to grasp the idea that NES games on iOS might impact the perception of the IPs as a whole, and not just of those particular games.

I grasp the point, I just disagree with it. I'm not going to claim you're saying something you're not though, or say it's horrible to think that way, I just don't think it would have the effect you think it would.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that makes more sense. According to a quick web search, Rovio made about $100 million in revenue in 2011.

That's as a company? Don't they make most of their money off merchandise?

I grasp the point, I just disagree with it. I'm not going to claim you're saying something you're not though, or say it's horrible to think that way, I just don't think it would have the effect you think it would.

Why? Any reason you think this way? Just 'cause?

FoneBone

I'm not going to claim you're saying something you're not though, or say it's horrible to think that way, I just don't think it would have the effect you think it would.
But you don't seem to have much a rationale as to why it wouldn't have that effect, beyond "because."

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Despite all the smartphones and games for $1, the fact is, the 3DS is doing better than the DS was at this stage in its life.

GameplayWhore posted some interesting charts in the Wii U speculation thread:

North American 3DS and DS Shipments - 3DS is selling (to vendors) far better on a launch-aligned basis

Japanese 3DS and DS shipments - 3DS is selling (to vendors) ahead on a launch-aligned basis (ongoing sales indicate that it is also is maintaining this superior momentum)

European 3DS and DS Shipments - 3DS is selling (to vendors) consistently ahead on a launch-aligned basis

guek

Banned
I'm not participating in a debate, I'm giving my opinion.

lol, ok. Sure.

Look, I see some merit in what you're saying. There are tons of old nintendo games that have depreciated in value over the years that nintendo could put on the mobile market. However, your dumb as fuck emulator argument aside, those old games aren't worthless if kept in nintendo's stable. The more valuable the IP and the game, the less it is in nintendo's interest to put it on another platform. Would a $1 SMB1 sell gangbusters on iOS? You betcha. But that's not the point. Mario is synonymous with nintendo, and the second you separate that idea, you've done immense damage to the value of nintendo hardware. SMB1 would bring in what, $100 million in revenue over its lifetime on iOS? Not all of which would go to nintendo. That's a fucking pittance in the grand scheme of things. Mario as a brand is infinitely more valuable to nintendo as an exclusive brand because every time a consumer sees mario, they should think nintendo. Not iOS or android, nintendo. This goes for all of nintendo's major franchises, and that's much more valuable than any amount of revenue they could realistically bring in on mobile platforms.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Despite all the smartphones and games for $1, the fact is, the 3DS is doing better than the DS was at this stage in its life.

GameplayWhore posted some interesting charts in the Wii U speculation thread:

This is before the DS Lite and NSMB caused DS to rise to heaven. 3DS is gonna be left in the dust.

Nekki

That they even entertain the thought of "Mario will be on smartphones sometime in the future" is quite laugh-inducing

TheNatural

My Member!
lol, ok. Sure.

Look, I see some merit in what you're saying. There are tons of old nintendo games that have depreciated in value over the years that nintendo could put on the mobile market. However, your dumb as fuck emulator argument aside, those old games aren't worthless if kept in nintendo's stable. The more valuable the IP and the game, the less it is in nintendo's interest to put it on another platform. Would a $1 SMB1 sell gangbusters on iOS? You betcha. But that's not the point. Mario is synonymous with nintendo, and the second you separate that idea, you've done immense damage to the value of nintendo hardware. SMB1 would bring in what, $100 million in revenue over its lifetime on iOS? Not all of which would go to nintendo. That's a fucking pittance in the grand scheme of things. Mario as a brand is infinitely more valuable to nintendo as an exclusive brand because every time a consumer sees mario, they should think nintendo. Not iOS or android, nintendo. This goes for all of nintendo's major franchises, and that's much more valuable than any amount of revenue they could realistically bring in on mobile platforms.

We'll agree to disagree then I guess. Mario has already been seperated from Nintendo in different ways over the years, whether you like it or not. Mario has been on arcades, emulators, and even a failure of a CD based home console. The mascot has been bastardized in cartoons, a bad movie, weird ass merchandising, among plenty of other things.

I don't think it would have that effect because Mario has already been so many places, and Super Mario Bros has been hashed and rehashed so many times it's a common part of our culture. I don't think it would hurt Nintendo or the brand or it's future earnings a bit if it were on a mobile paltform. Hell, instead of looking at it as a threat, look at it as an opportunity. They could sell the game to people who would NEVER have any intention of playing new Mario games, but you put it on there and maybe a trailer or the new 3DS Mario game, then maybe you just got a customer you didn't before.

I look at it as an opportunity to adapt to, not as threat to shelter from, that's my difference.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Maybe if they had actually continued to support the Wii the loss wouldn't be quite so much.

That they even entertain the thought of "Mario will be on smartphones sometime in the future" is quite laugh-inducing

Well, it could.

But for that to happen their own business must implode completely, while the profits to be made from apps/games on mobile phones must grow exponentionally.

FoneBone

They could sell the game to people who would NEVER have any intention of playing new Mario games, but you put it on there and maybe a trailer or the new 3DS Mario game, then maybe you just got a customer you didn't before.

Apple doesn't allow apps to advertise software on other platforms, AFAIK.

Top Bottom