• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarkness

So far, pending to change. We won't have a hard disk included in the console and that's expected due cost issues. However, the machine doesn't feature high speeds ports for a Hard Disk.

The Hard Disk is not only useful for storage reasons for the normal console release that's many Gigabytes in size but is also useful for developers and games functionality. In those 2 last terms a fast enough connection to the drive is necessary.

I totally disagree. Their solution is perfectly fine. I store and run games on my PC/Mac from a 2TB USB 2.0 drive just fine. Being able to do that on the Wii U is good, and we can use any HDD we want. I already have a 2TB drive ready for my Wii U. Players are in total control of their storage needs.

I totally disagree. Their solution is perfectly fine. I store and run games on my PC/Mac from a 2TB USB 2.0 drive just fine. Being able to do that on the Wii U is good, and we can use any HDD we want. I already have a 2TB drive ready for my Wii U. Players are in total control of their storage needs.
You didn't pay attention to my post. It's fine for storage as i already said. But to for a developer to take advantage in terms of enhancing the game running from the Hard Disk... say for caching purposes or improving load times a faster connection that USB 2.0 is in order.

Why expect less than what we more or less had since 2001? Xbox came packed with a HD with greatly benefited game experience. PS3 gave the user incredible freedom in this regard and the Xbox 360 also gave the option, now you can even rip the game to the HD and enjoy some advantages.

I don't understand how you can disagree with this because it only brings benefits to you the user.

darthdago

What do you know?!

Me,...nope nothing...its only that I expect some good news.
out of my work I have some good contacts to "their" marketing...and there I heard someone talking about some good news inbetween the next seven days or so!!
Wat exactly I dont know?!
But I expect something good about WiiU

Edit:
Have to leave work now!! See ya all on monday!!

out of my work I have some good contacts to "their" marketing...and there I heard someone talking about some good news inbetween the next seven days or so!!
Oh gourd.

EDarkness

You didn't pay attention to my post. It's fine for storage as i already said. But to for a developer to take advantage in terms of enhancing the game running from the Hard Disk... say for caching purposes or improving load times a faster connection that USB 2.0 is in order.

Why expect less than what we more or less had since 2001? Xbox came packed with a HD with greatly benefited game experience. PS3 gave the user incredible freedom in this regard and the Xbox 360 also gave the option, now you can even rip the game to the HD and enjoy some advantages.

I don't understand how you can disagree with this because it only brings benefits to you the user.

Because I'm totally fine with the speed of USB 2.0 drives. I run WoW (and all of my Steam games) from a USB drive and it works great. As long as Nintendo gives me the option to choose any drive I want, then I see no problem with this. I'm more than positive we'll be installing our games on the drive and all that jazz. Those who want that extra cost can get an HDD, those who don't can opt out. Pretty much how it is with the 360.

I personally prefer the idea of external hard drives (frankly, I think standardizing on this reduces the chances of being nickel&dimed by a mandatory first party storage solution), but I concede that USB 2.0 is unwise given how long 3.0 has been on the market and how much faster it is. Or even eSATA, which'd be a slightly ballsy but perhaps clever option to suddenly shift to.

I rip my (legally obtained, mods!) Wii games to hard drive and run from there for everything excepting NSMBW (there's a homebrew user-level installer that seems to require that you use the physical disc), and it is a giant convenience for me. But even on this older system, I expected it to be much faster than accesses from the optical drive, and this ended up not seeming to be the case.

z0m3le

Banned
But that's not parity. It's an improvement. I didn't say otherwise.

Why do you consider Sony was in a worst position than Nintendo at some stage?

So far they don't even have a solid storage strategy in to place for the WiiU, that's related to the Digital sales matter.

Sony PS2 in 2006 was no where near where Nintendo 3DS is now, which is why it was in a worse position than Nintendo is now, and it only took Sony 2 or 3 years to catch up to Live (except for horrible interface, but it is free to play online which is a boon in it's favor)

As far as their solid storage strategy, you and I don't know it, but that doesn't mean they don't have one... obviously if they announce all their games will be available digitally day 1, that means they have something in mind as far as storage, and remember they use 25GB discs.

Linkhero1

Seems a bit soon for a Zelda title, honestly. But then again, it could be the 3DS title. But then again, would Nintendo use Eminem for a portable's advertising.. seems like they'd save him for the home console.

But then again, Nintendo could surprise us with Eminem playing an updated version of that Zelda tech demo from last year :p

In all seriousness, I would hope it's for a new ip.

And finally, after that IMDb posting claiming 50 Cent would voice Epona in Twilight Princess, it will be made reality.
Holy shit haha. I spit some of my water on my work monitor. :(

Seems a bit soon for a Zelda title, honestly. But then again, it could be the 3DS title. But then again, would Nintendo use Eminem for a portable's advertising.. seems like they'd save him for the home console.

I'm hoping that Nintendo keeps the "sardonically, cleverly self-aware" advertisement style that they had in that 3DS advert a few weeks ago, regardless of who they bring on to pimp their warez. Anything that I can find reminiscent of that "product placement" scene from Wayne's World is a plus over here. :)

As far as their solid storage strategy, you and I don't know it, but that doesn't mean they don't have one... obviously if they announce all their games will be available digitally day 1, that means they have something in mind as far as storage, and remember they use 25GB discs.

I can't imagine that there won't be a Nintendo-branded drive from the get-go. It's just too much of a high profit item to ignore if they're already set up to use peripherals of this sort.

z0m3le

Banned

Wait, what 360 game used HDD buffering? because the 4GB flash basic and the original arcade didn't have hard drives... so how exactly did that work. Do you get paid to complain about the system? STEVE BALLMER?!

Because I'm totally fine with the speed of USB 2.0 drives. I run WoW (and all of my Steam games) from a USB drive and it works great. As long as Nintendo gives me the option to choose any drive I want, then I see no problem with this. I'm more than positive we'll be installing our games on the drive and all that jazz. Those who want that extra cost can get an HDD, those who don't can opt out. Pretty much how it is with the 360.
Im having a really hard time understanding your line of thought here. If for example, Nintendo included a SATA port as well as your USB 2.0 in the console, how will this limit you in anyway? It's giving you more options and a hell of improvement in load times and caching if using the SATA connection. Chances are that enclosure could have both an USB 2.0 and a SATA port already.

Not having USB 3.0 i understand, due to licensing costs. SATA is cheap as f*ck right now and wouldn't drive cost significantly, plus they probably have the controller in there for the optical drive. And there are ways for them to compensate.

So what are you talking about really Edarkness?
Wait, what 360 game used HDD buffering? because the 4GB flash basic and the original arcade didn't have hard drives... so how exactly did that work. Do you get paid to complain about the system? STEVE BALLMER?!
Games detect when the HD is installed and take proper advantage of it. Why is that so strange? That's what cool about how MS handled the HD issue. Don't see why Nintendo can't.

Linkhero1

Im having a really hard time understanding your line of thought here. If for example, Nintendo included a SATA port as well as your USB 2.0 in the console, how will this limit you in anyway? It's giving you more options and a hell of improvement in load times and caching if using the SATA connection. Chances are that enclosure could have both an USB 2.0 and a SATA port already.

Not having USB 3.0 i understand, due to licensing costs. SATA is cheap as f*ck right now and wouldn't drive cost significantly, plus they probably have the controller in there for the optical drive. And there are ways for them to compensate.

So what are you talking about really Edarkness?

I think he's saying that he doesn't want Nintendo to pull what MS pulled with the Xbox 360.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot

Right

z0m3le

Banned
Games detect when the HD is installed and take proper advantage of it. Why is that so strange? That's what cool about how MS handled the HD issue. Don't see why Nintendo can't.

I don't either... since it would still be pretty fast, like I said you and I don't know the storage solution, but even if it is just USB 2.0... that can still do a lot for them, and really having 2x to 4x the memory of the 360 will improve those things anyways (since resolutions will likely stay @ 1080P max until 2018-2020

BTW USB 2.0 is a 60MB/s bus... which is not much different from a standard Hard Disk Drive.

z0m3le

Banned
Ehh.. this is the first I've heard from him in a while. But then again, I don't follow pop culture very closely. I'm so pitiful that one of my nieces had to explain to me who Bieber was a year ago..

don't worry he was only born like 3 years ago, so you're good. ;)

I don't either... since it would still be pretty fast, like I said you and I don't know the storage solution, but even if it is just USB 2.0... that can still do a lot for them, and really having 2x to 4x the memory of the 360 will improve those things anyways (since resolutions will likely stay @ 1080P max until 2018-2020

BTW USB 2.0 is a 60MB/s bus... which is not much different from a standard Hard Disk Drive.

Looking at Storage Review's recent benchmarks, there are a ton of both solid state drives and classic hard drives which exceed that peak, overhead-inclusive number for USB 2.0 in terms of average, actual data performance by multipliers ranging between two and eight.

USB 2.0 is most certainly a bottleneck right now, even if there are drives that don't exceed it.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
A japanese survey shows/confirms a lost of interest in next generation machines, including the Wii U

goo Research recently took their third regular look at games machines, and according to the report on japan.internet.com, interest in the newest devices is waning.
Demographics

Between the 23rd and 26th of April 2012 1,083 members of the goo Research online monitor group completed a private internet-based questionnaire. 52.8% of the sample were male, 16.3% in their teens, 18.2% in their twenties, 21.2% in their thirties, 16.3% in their forties, and 28.0% aged fifty or older.

The article doesn’t report the question I would like to hear answered, why people are not interested in the new devices. For the PS Vita and Xperia PLAY, is it that normal smartphones do the job well enough, and with various surveys pointing to the majority of those in their twenties now carrying smartphones, a prime target for Sony already derives enough fun from their iPhone, Galaxy or other big-seller?

buy-ps-vita.png

Research results

First of all, people were asked what games machines they owned. 64.7% of the sample, or 701 people, had at least one, and from that group 61.6% had a Nintendo DS of one form or other (bog standard, lite, i, LL, 3DS, etc), 50.5% had a PlayStation 2, 50.1% a Wii, 32.4% a PlayStation Portable, 28.1% a PS3, and so on down the ranks. However, for the PlayStation Vita, released in December last year and having sold 1.2 million units worldwide, just 2.6% of these 701, or 18 people, 1.7% of the original sample owned one, up just 0.2 percentage points since the previous survey three months ago. Even worse, for the Xperia PLAY SO-01D from NTT docomo, not one single person surveyed owned one!

Next, excluding the 18 PS Vita owners from the first question, the following were asked.
Q1: Do you think you would want to buy a PS Vita? (Sample size=1,065)
Want to buy 7.8%
Don’t want to buy, but interested in it 31.7%
Don’t want to buy at all 60.5%

The not interested group has increased 5.2 percentage points since the previous survey. The report noted that a new colour and a Hatsune Miku collaboration is due out in August, which perhaps accounted for some of the interest in the product.

Q3: Do you think you would want to buy a Wii U, due out some time this year? (Sample size=1,083)
Want to buy 7.1%
Don’t want to buy, but interested in it 33.5%
Don’t want to buy at all 59.4%

The not interested group has increased 6.9 percentage points since the previous survey.

Between that + catastrophic sales numbers this week in Japan (post-golden week, ok, but the market state is very low since a moment now) + grim retail sales in the US (NPD) + it's not far better in Europe...

There's a shift in the industry, towards greener/different/evolved pastures (social, f2p, web-based, mobile devices, stream/cloud, digital distribution, yadda yadda yadda), let's hope Nintendo will be able to grab/adapt to it, and above all, bring its approach/own value/innovations/nice touch in the process.

HylianTom

Banned
There's a shift in the industry, towards greener/different/evolved pastures (social, f2p, web-based, mobile devices, stream/cloud, yadda yadda yadda), let's hope Nintendo will be able to grab/adapt to it, and above all, bring its approach/own value/innovations/nice touch on it.
My fervent hope is that the uPad will help break this barrier. It might be just the thing that Nintendo needs to catch fire in Japan's home console market again.

That's the theoretical max. It's normally slower than that.

He did seem rather young (and asexual) when I first saw him. Did not get it one bit. I could look at NKOTB and see why girls would scream, but this? Phhhbbbbt!

LOL. Don't feel bad as I didn't know about him to a year or so before you. I still don't see why people hate him like they do.

I personally prefer the idea of external hard drives (frankly, I think standardizing on this reduces the chances of being nickel&dimed by a mandatory first party storage solution), but I concede that USB 2.0 is unwise given how long 3.0 has been on the market and how much faster it is. Or even eSATA, which'd be a slightly ballsy but perhaps clever option to suddenly shift to.
That's exactly what im suggesting. External hard drives but give the user the option to connect them to the WiiU with a more adequate connection than USB 2.0.
Sony PS2 in 2006 was no where near where Nintendo 3DS is now, which is why it was in a worse position than Nintendo is now, and it only took Sony 2 or 3 years to catch up to Live (except for horrible interface, but it is free to play online which is a boon in it's favor)
What a really incredible strange answer. But isn't Nintendo in a worst position than Sony now in terms of online infra structure? Sony has been working and investing far more resources in its network for a longer time, more than Nintendo ever has. So i really don't understand how your comparison fits in this puzzle. Can't believe we are actually tacking about this :) Do you remember the guy was asking for parity? You remember that key part, right?

You are mistaken :) The USB 2.0 never reaches 480 mbps throughput in real scenarios. The speeds are not close. This is a fact. In real world situations the difference between an eSATA and USB 2.0 are closde to 2.5 to 3 times in favor of the eSATA.
I had the oportunity to test this myself.

I don't even know how we could be arguing about this issue and offering advantages (at cheap cost) to the user. Bizarro universe indeed.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
He did seem rather young (and asexual) when I first saw him. Did not get it one bit. I could look at NKOTB and see why girls would scream, but this? Phhhbbbbt!
NK-who? Are you referring to those kids that were a one-day wonder among their peers a couple of years ago?

Linkhero1

That's the theoretical max. It's normally slower than that.

LOL. Don't feel bad as I didn't know about him to a year or so before you. I still don't see why people hate him like they do.

Correct. I believe it's somewhere in the line of 25 MB/s - 35 MB/s normally.
I'm talking about Beiber

Ehh.. this is the first I've heard from him in a while. But then again, I don't follow pop culture very closely. I'm so pitiful that one of my nieces had to explain to me who Bieber was a year ago..

Bieber is my cousin's new last name (well, as of about three or so years ago, and her husband's first name is similar, for that matter), and that's probably the only reason I know about it.

A japanese survey shows/confirms a lost of interest in next generation machines, including the Wii U

Between that + catastrophic sales numbers this week in Japan (post-golden week, ok, but the market state is very low since a moment now) + grim retail sales in the US (NPD) + it's not far better in Europe...

There's a shift in the industry, towards greener/different/evolved pastures (social, f2p, web-based, mobile devices, stream/cloud, yadda yadda yadda), let's hope Nintendo will be able to grab/adapt to it, and above all, bring its approach/own value/innovations/nice touch on it.

We're in a transitional period between generations, months before marketing has actually started to drum interest in a new system. On the portable side, both manufacturers tried to pull a fast one and charge what the market sees as a prohibitively high price for systems (approaching twice* as much as the previous record for generation starting price in Nintendo's case). The one that reduced to something more palatable but still high is now selling really well. In Japan, at least.

* 67% more expensive, actually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom