• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 II | Welcome Home Eureka

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

I think that even in the unlikely event that Kayneth uses a command spell on Lancer, he gets the drop on Kiritsugu, and saves both him and Sola-Ui, it's still a losing proposition for Kayneth in the long term. If he's confined to a wheelchair, his wife's missing an arm, and he has no command spells, how can he realistically expect to defeat Rider and Archer, whose masters are at full strength? He's weak, he has no means of removing himself from the war as long as Lancer remains, and others might not offer him the mercy that Kiritsugu appeared to be offering.

It's better to sacrifice Lancer, who's a mere pawn anyways, in exchange for a guaranteed ticket out of the war, rather than roll the dice on a pointless victory.

Fate/Zero 20

This was a good episode. I liked the scenes with Waver. Looking forward to the party getting started next episode.

If anyone in this show starts talking about
their hopes, dreams, and post-conflict life goals ever again, I'm going to assume that they have three minutes left to live.

Coxy

yes2.jpg

OTwjC.png

shinji sure has gained some...confidence

That's kind of depressing if it's actually true.

If you read the rest of that, you'd know that that is almost certainly entirely invented, I think. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, and linked another panel from it too.

(It's an 8-page bonus chapter from The Legend of Koizumi, that I also mentioned earlier in this thread, called "Ritz". The story's pretty ridiculous -- the mahjong manga enforcers are basically Yakuza -- but Ritz seems to have used that version of her as the model for Arata in Achiga...)

I'm thinking specifically about the anime though. If the whole point of the anime is to just promote the manga, then there's really no grander plan.
Not just to promote the manga, but to have something to make given how slowly the main manga is going, and also to tell a different side of the story at the same time as well.

But the fact that they brought in all the characters from the original series just to say a few lines (and presumably pay the actors to do so) makes me wonder if there isn't something planned down the pipeline.

Unless Japan is like America where the voice actors can literally phone in their performances to the studio. :p
I think that the Kiyosumi appearances really are just cameos. Probably. As for the other teams, like the Ryuumonbuchi and Tsuruga bits, they have more to do with the plot, but they're clearly there in order to bring in teams from the main series, which makes sense; it's nice to see them here too. (Such as Wahaha's return in ep. 7 :) )

But really, as I said, I think that Achiga-hen, both manga and anime, exist as spinoffs of the main series, to promote it sure, but also to show the story of what's going on on the other side of the tournament. And yes, that does raise the question of what to do for the final, but my guess would be that that's saved for the main series... we'll have to see, though. There's still a while to go in Achiga-hen.

I mean, yeah, this could actually cover part of the final, or something... that'd be interesting, though. It'd kind of ruin some of the suspense, however, as we still don't know who the other team that'll make the final on the B-side is (in addition to Kiyosumi) and if this has the final that'd tell anyone reading what will happen, but they could do it... it is certainly possible. We'll have to see.

It has strong women!
True, certainly does.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not just to promote the manga, but to have something to make given how slowly the main manga is going, and also to tell a different side of the story at the same time as well.
I think the closest analogue would be Star Trek, where the three main series crossed over at times for weird fan-service. So you had Spock on TNG in order to pimp Star Trek 6, and then the whole Worf on DS9 thing with the Defiant in First Contact.

It'd be interesting if nuGonzo or whomever is doing this adaptation actually thought about the larger implications to the anime franchise.

NeonZ

Did they establish that command seals can make servants instantly teleport before?

Seems like Kayneth should have used that to make Lancer teleport inbetween Kiritsugu and Sola-Ui before instead of killing himself.

IIRC, Gilgamesh teleported when he was forced to retreat due to a command seal use early on, around the time of the first Saber/Lancer duel. Or it might not ahve been him, but I'm pretty sure we saw a teleport before around that time. I'll check those episodes later.

The moment Kayneth
opens his mouth to cast the command spell I'm sure it wouldn't take Kiritsugu that long to pull the trigger to off Sola, unless his mouth moves faster than a bullet.

The moment Kayneth
opens his mouth to cast the command spell I'm sure it wouldn't take Kiritsugu that long to pull the trigger to off Sola, unless his mouth moves faster than a bullet.
I don't think command seals need a verbal command, that's just done so people watching the anime know what the hell is going on.

akb 0048 04

plain old 2d dancing won't connect with cg people sillies.

The salty drama. so delicious. Still not sure if this show is promoting idol life, or a satire, or... idk.

Why is there wind on a ... space ship? Artificial wind sounds... dirty.

Also...

er.jpg

Next gen moe

and that ending... forget about your woes... by brainwashing yourself with more of this akb music crap?

Wikipedia tells me each person is a different VA... but why do I only hear like 4 distinct voices?

I don't know...

anime...

why anime AKB?

I've just watched Angel Beats! which is the first anime I've seen bar a few shows as a child and I really, really enjoyed it.

What other anime (movies or series) would you recommend on either Netflix Instant or Hulu?

Thanks.

Westlo

I've just watched Angel Beats! which is the first anime I've seen bar a few shows as a child and I really, really enjoyed it.

What other anime (movies or series) would you recommend on either Netflix Instant or Hulu?

Thanks.

Do they have the charming romantic show School Days?

wonzo

Banned

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure School Days is free on Crunchyroll. Check it out!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Thanks.

Just a little hint, give a quick google or wikipedia to the recommendations people will send your way, otherwise you might end up watching tripe like School Days.

Steroyd

AKB0048 - 04

"Stop it!"

"If you keep singing"

"You'll make me start liking it"

While it's not as off the rails as the last two episodes, the lol drama somewhat makes up for it with some delicious heart shaped tears.

wonzo

Banned
Just a little hint, give a quick google or wikipedia to the recommendations people will send your way, otherwise you might end up watching tripe like School Days.
There are plenty of words that can be used to describe School Days but tripe sure as hell isn't one of them. You might be confusing it with Haiyore! Nyaruko-san!

sonicmj1

Hyouka 5

How does this show keep improving? I guess it helps when you start slow.

While
looking for the writer of the preface
was literally the first thing I thought of when this whole issue came up, I like the way it all turned out. The theorizing from last episode had its uses, but the new information changed the event in important ways. And it's good to see some major characters change a little in response to events.

8O3tK.jpg

Another touch of purposeful direction here. I really like how it works in context.

What struck me throughout this episode was how much extra animation there was. It's not something I think about much (and I don't feel like KyoAni tries to draw attention to it), but the extra touches make me feel like the world actually moves outside of the scenes presented to us. Even the extra animation that's just among the club members makes me feel that way.

DzdPk.jpg

This moment in particular. It's rare to see this much effort put into showing people leaving a room, but it showed how excited everyone was about what would come, and how much they care about the space.

I also felt like there were a lot of little built-in "excuses" (kind of like last episode) to encourage characters to move around while people talked. Like how the librarian still had some work to do when they showed up. It helped reduce the boredom.

This show keeps quietly creeping up my internal ranking of the season. I wonder how high it can go.

Articalys

Thanks.
Are you looking for just more shows similar to Angel Beats, or any other particular genres/themes?

Thanks.
I can't speak to what's on Netflix Instant or Hulu, but if you liked Angel Beats, you should check out other KEY shows like Clannad. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is fairly similar and it might be available.

BluWacky

Shitting on people's recommendations? C'mon, son.

Does anyone recommend School Days intentionally without irony? I mean, I know most people recommend it because they think it's awful, but in some ways that's just the same as recommending it - people still want you to watch the damn thing, after all.

Thanks.

TTGL (Gurren Lagann) on netflix for one.
Soul Eater, both for Action.
Eden of the East also.

And Ouran High School Host Club for more comedy, all on netflix.

Does anyone recommend School Days intentionally without irony? I mean, I know most people recommend it because they think it's awful, but in some ways that's just the same as recommending it - people still want you to watch the damn thing, after all.
School Days is much more interesting than a lot of shows out there, and that's why I'd recommend it. Nothing ironic about it, imo.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yay.

Just found out that they're going to be releasing a new translation of the original Dragon Ball manga here in hard-cover volumes starting today down here in Brazil, haha. Awesome stuff. I already have two complete sets of the series, but the more the merrier.

wonzo

Banned
There's nothing ironic about my recommendations to watch School Days. It's an amazing experience that simply shouldn't be missed.

In Toonami revival news, Adult Swim has added Casshern Sins and Deadman Wonderland to their online schedule for the Saturday night block.
Casshern Sins would be a great start for the new Toonami.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
There's nothing ironic about my recommendations to watch School Days. It's an amazing experience that simply shouldn't be missed.

Casshern Sins would be a great start for the new Toonami.
But you should think, what is the person asking for recommendations really looking for? It's fine and good to suggest School Days or Yami or Garzey's Wing to someone who is looking for that kind of experience (actually Garzey's Wing should be watched by everyone regardless of what they're looking for), but otherwise it's a bit... mean? I'd rather recommend something I really think the person asking would really enjoy, then just one of the shows on the list.

TTGL (Gurren Lagann) on netflix for one.
Soul Eater, both for Action.
Eden of the East also.

And Ouran High School Host Club for more comedy, all on netflix.

These are all good/decent options, Gurren Lagann and Ouran in particular.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'd also add Baccano to that list.

Oh yes, this is another great choice. I'm not really too up on what's available on netflix, so I don't really have any recommendations to offer myself, but I can certainly vouch for Baccano, TTGL, and Ouran.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom