• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Del Toro's Pacific Rim is the Godzilla movie GINO wasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

raphier

Banned
this thing is not even trending, duckie. I have this impression that the special effects wowed the audience, but there was not enough word of mouth to bother with leaks.

bengraven

I can't believe there isn't a single leaked photo from the footage they screened. Wtf?! :(

Seeing some of the massive crowds at this, the Hobbit, and the Ironman 3 panels, among others, it's shocking how few leaked screens/trailers we're getting.

Maybe they're just waiting to upload it after CC.

Ponn

Banned
I just don't get why they are keeping such a tight lid on this when they should be hyping this to hell and back. The comments we are getting from those that saw the clips are glowing. I never understood behind closed doors at E3 and I certainly don't understand it at something like Comic-Con. This is where you let the public see your cool ass shit and get hyped about it.

TUROK

Just looked up what GINO was. It's pretty sad that this term even exists. On the other hand, it illustrates nerd-rage so perfectly.

W_Dreamer

Evangelion the movie?
Sounds like it.

Can you believe WETA had concept sketches for the Evangelion movie project done right after the LOTR trilogy and before Peter Jackson's King Kong...where is the movie now? Damn those lack-of-vision investor/funding companies...!

This movie has the potential to break through into an untapped movie sub-genre in the western market - piloted mecha.

Still it would have a been a bitch to westernize/adapt Evangelion with the international cult fanbase unless you were truly inspired like James Cameron or Peter Jackson with their movie projects. The fanbase would tear the product to pieces if you half-ass it.

I just don't get why they are keeping such a tight lid on this when they should be hyping this to hell and back. The comments we are getting from those that saw the clips are glowing. I never understood behind closed doors at E3 and I certainly don't understand it at something like Comic-Con. This is where you let the public see your cool ass shit and get hyped about it.
Blame Cloverfield.

I can't believe there isn't a single leaked photo from the footage they screened. Wtf?! :(

I was there and I posted this on some other threads:

"I've been going for years and the security was much much higher this year. As soon as clips or trailer came on, many, "Secret Service" types with night vision appeared and scanned the crown. They would pull people out if they suspected anything and make them erase any footage. They also had undercover security posing as con goers, complete with the official nerd bags and t-shirts to infiltrate the crowd. It was unreal and people got the message."

The footage was amazing, the whole presentation made to look like the cockpit or control station for the robots! I got choked up (as I did for Godzilla) since it was like my dreams came true. They just nail the sense of scale for the monsters and robots, how they move, the sense of weight and force, etc. Idris Elba's speech gave me chills. GDT's passion for this is evident in the vision and next level of special effects being created. I cannot really convey how moving this was. Pacific Rim will literally be HUGE!

3N16MA

Banned

"I've been going for years and the security was much much higher that year. As soon as clips or trailer came on, many, "Secret Service" types with night vision appeared and scanned the crown. They would pull people out if they suspected anything and make them erase any footage. They also had undercover security posing as con goers, complete with the official nerd bags and t-shirts to infiltrate the crowd. It was unreal and people got the message."

The footage was amazing, the whole presentation made to look like the cockpit or control station for the robots! I got choked up (as I did for Godzilla) since it was like my dreams came true. They just nail the sense of scale for the monsters and robots, how they move, the sense of weight and force, etc. Idris Elba's speech gave me chills. GDT's passion for this is evident in the vision and next level of special effects being created. I cannot really convey how moving this was. Pacific Rim will literally be HUGE!

Sounds awesome. I guess pics and video will be nowhere to be seen unless a trailer plays in front of The Hobbit.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Rinko Kikuchi interview:

CraveOnline: As a Japanese actress, what is your familiarity with the Kaiju genre of films?

Rinko Kikuchi: When I was a little girl I used to watch a lot of monster movies, like Godzilla. All those monster movies. Now I got this role in a huge monster film, it’s like a dream come true. Yeah, it’s really familiar.

Does being an American film with a Mexican director make it different than the monster movies from Japan?

I think it’s not Japanese, not Mexican. This is really his own original unique idea. He created a lot of his own unique ideas. I think it’s a super original monster movie, so I don’t know. I can’t categorize this film.

Tell us about your character in Pacific Rim?

Mako is a young Japanese woman who wanted to be a pilot since the Kaiju attacked. Then the attack traumatized her so she wants to overcome her trauma. She’s fighting the monsters and she’s fighting her own demons.

How intense is her trauma in your performance?

It is really intense because she wants to avenge her loved ones against the Kaijus, the monsters.

What do you love about Mako?

I love her because I always act really sad but she’s really tough and she’s a brave girl. I’m so happy to get this role.

What was it like working with the visual effects in the film?

That is also my first time to work with green screen, but Guillermo always builds really, really real stuff so I never feel like I have to use my imagination. It feels real on the set.

When you were in the giant robot cockpit, did you feel like you were really controlling the robots?

That’s also really hard because we pilot a huge, huge robot. But the movement is really hard for me to move in the robot because it’s heavy. It’s almost like weight lifting with each movement. After the shooting, I felt like I became a real pilot.

Replicant

Still it would have a been a bitch to westernize/adapt Evangelion with the international cult fanbase unless you were truly inspired like James Cameron or Peter Jackson with their movie projects. The fanbase would tear the product to pieces if you half-ass it.

Well, according to someone who has read Beacham's original script, apparently Pacific Rim is quite uncanny in similarity to Evangelion:

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/10916/Pacific-Rim/40/?sid=755ff135c245fcd195e78deee90a0eac

Spoiler follows:

THE STORY:
'Pacific Rim' for better or worse is a straight up love letter to Japanese cinema - both live action & anime. The script I read is certainly an odd one & feels like a mish-mash/hybrid of all things Gainax. There's equal parts Gunbuster, Neon Genesis Evangelion & Gurren-Lagann in the mix. Whatever changes the film has gone through between this draft & it's release next year, this is a film that should get anime nerds foaming at the mouth. The closest film I can think of in comparison to this is THE AVENGERS. Both films are very nerdy properties that should play to mainstream audiences. And like 'The Avengers' in regards to comic books, while PR doesn't do anything particularly new with the genre of giant robots vs. monsters, just the chance to see these similar tropes played out on a big screen with full Hollywood production values will make it a real treat.

The core story has a lot of heavy Evangelion overtones.
We're somewhere in the near future (I believe the script said 2025, but don't quote me on that) & the Earth has fallen into a period of constant tension. A decade or so ago a rift to a parallel universe (the Interstice) opened up in the Pacific Ocean & on an irregular basis giant Monsters (Kaiju, lol) come to our side of the rift & cause genuine chaos on both sides of the Pacific - hence the title 'Pacific Rim'. Like Eva, the initial attack from these monsters was an apocalyptic event & now the Earth has become a giant battle zone constantly on alert to fight these monsters whenever they arrive. Like the Angels, the arrival of these Kaiju can't be foreseen & like Eva the only weapons capable of actually harming these creatures are giant robots called Jaegers driven by two pilots who are mentally synched up. It sounds like a mix of Eva & Gurren-Lagann. Unlike Eva though, the Kaiju can attack anywhere along the Pacific so pretty much every giant coastal city has a Jaeger or two ready to go into battle. So instead of just Tokyo-3 you might as well say there's a Los Angeles-3, a Hong Kong-3. Lol.

Our heroes are Raleigh (Charlie Hunnman) & Mako (Rinko Kikuchi), two professional Jaeger pilots from either side of the Pacific who have both lost their co-pilots in battle. The higher-ups decide to pair these two up in one of the older Generation 1 Jaeger's - a Prototype or Test-type? - to act as preliminary team until a new Team can be brought in. Hinjinks ensue as the two pilots have to learn to work together despite neither speaking the others language, cue laughter. How this highly prepared military organization doesn't realize Mako can't speak English & Raleigh speak is beyond me. The first half of the script is dedicated to these two getting to come together as a team. Raleigh is dealing with the death of his co-pilot brother & Mako is dealing with her memories of witnessing the initial Kaiju attack. Basically, Raleigh comes off as a 23 year old Shinji minus the insecurity complex (and any real interesting character traits) & Mako is a kind've hybrid of Rei & Asuka - I don't think this is accidental, I mean hell, this is how she's introduced:

MAKO MORI (22), sits catatonic, her arm in a sling. Her hair hugs her face in a helmet-like Chinese bob. She has firm and quiet bearing.

Chinese bob haircut? Arm in a sling? Sound like anyone?

Anywho, back on track - needless to say about half way through the script the two pilots finally do start to synch properly & circumstances arise to make them go from a Preliminary Unit to being a core team. (In what I hope is a scratched element of the screenplay, the two pilots speak in their own language yet because they're properly synched they fully understand each other. This is handled in a rather stupid sounding way of whenever Rinko speaks in Japanese her voice is badly dubbed over in English & as the story progresses the dubbing gets smoother until she's just speaking English at the end. Why Raleigh is never described as speaking English & dubbed over in Japanese is beyond me.) So Raleigh & Mako become a solid pilot team - I.E. they're fucking each other - & the second half of the script basically has them become the super elite fighting team taking monster after monster down. The whole film climaxes with an ending lifted right out of Gunbuster where the heroes pilot down through the Rift into the other universe & use their Jaeger as a nuclear bomb to blow up the rift from the other side. The heroes jettison their Jaeger & get through the rift just in time to make out & float on the Pacific ocean. Roll credits. As an aside, I wonder if Warner Brothers is worried that this exact ending was JUST done by Iron Man in 'The Avengers'.

Some of the descriptions definitely matches with Kikuchi's interview of her character so it'll be interesting to see how the film ends up being.

As a side note, Hunnam looks kind of small here:

hunnam%2BKikuchi%2Bpacific%2Brim%2Bset.jpeg

Well, according to someone who has read Beacham's original script, apparently Pacific Rim is quite uncanny in similarity to Evangelion:

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/10916/Pacific-Rim/40/?sid=755ff135c245fcd195e78deee90a0eac

Spoiler follows:

Some of the descriptions definitely matches with Kikuchi's interview of her character so it'll be interesting to see how the film ends up being.

As a side note, Hunnam looks kind of small here:
Oh god you don't understand how much it's killing me not to highlight those spoilers.

Hunnam looks good there, imo. Him not being a big muscly dude seems fitting for his role as damaged goods.

Busty

Banned

I wouldn't read too much into that as I understand that Beacham's original script (which is currently 'doing the rounds' on the net) was heavily, heavily rewritten.

And while it won't be radically different (the core concept is obviously the same) I think that a lot of that was spoilered text might be have been changed or removed altogether.

"I've been going for years and the security was much much higher this year. As soon as clips or trailer came on, many, "Secret Service" types with night vision appeared and scanned the crown. They would pull people out if they suspected anything and make them erase any footage. They also had undercover security posing as con goers, complete with the official nerd bags and t-shirts to infiltrate the crowd. It was unreal and people got the message."

It was pretty legit, yeah. Someone behind me was texting during the second Superman showing and they were on her in just a few seconds. She kinda freaked out.

Replicant

I wouldn't read too much into that as I understand that Beacham's original script (which is currently 'doing the rounds' on the net) was heavily, heavily rewritten.

And while it won't be radically different (the core concept is obviously the same) I think that a lot of that was spoilered text might be have been changed or removed altogether.

We'll see. For all of the hub-hub about how Prometheus' original leak was fake, it turns out that the majority of it was so true and worst of all, the original leak was far better in execution. So I hope they don't tinker much with the original script except for a few things, ie.
two pilots controlling one robot is too much Power Rangers for me
. And obviously they'll change the ending depending on how much they want a sequel.

3N16MA

Banned
Collider recently did a 60 minute interview with Del Toro. Here are the 5 parts that cover Pacific Rim, which is about 40 minutes long.

Part 1: http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-pacific-rim-thomas-tull-interview/185127/

Part 2: http://collider.com/pacific-rim-deleted-scenes-blu-ray/185377/

Part 3: http://collider.com/pacific-rim-monsters-robots-battles/185759/

Part 4: http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-mondo-pacific-rim-interview/185888/

Part 5: http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-pacific-rim-soundtrack-collectables/187592/

Also the film was not shot in 3D (Del Toro explains why in the interview) and will not be post converted. WB/Legendary really seems to not push 3D upon directors with their tentplole films (TDKR and now Pacific Rim).

3N16MA

Banned
I commend WB for not pushing 3D on their directors, but shot in 3D movies can look rather nice.

It's a bit of a risk considering how well 3D plays to the OS market. Very unusual to see an original film given a $200 million budget, not shot or post converted to 3D, and no huge star to drive the film.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when that forest spirit died in hellboy 2 and its corpse created an oasis and it started raining flower petals everywhere?

Haunted

I never follow movie production stuff that closely, I always thought outside of reports of who is working on what, the studios use trailers to accompany official presentations.

Kinda bummed out that there's no proper trailer for this.

near

Gold Member
Despite what has been said the film will still be getting a post conversion to 3D. We all know how del Toro feels about 3D with Pacific Rim if you haven't watched the interviews, watch the snippet from the 60min interview at the link which talks about why Guillermo doesn't want it for the film.

Though this doesn’t exactly come as a shock, Warner Bros. will apparently be post-converting Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim to 3D. The news comes via THR’s Borys Kit, who Tweeted that the large-scale monsters vs. robots movie will be getting a 3D release.

http://collider.com/pacific-rim-3d-guillermo-del-toro/195032/

JdFoX187

Banned
Figured that would happen. While the concept is awesome, I don't think it's going to do well domestically. Hopefully being a big-budget kaiju film WITH 3D, it will do gangbusters overseas.

near

Gold Member
Well based on concept alone it's difficult to say how well it will do, once we get to see some actual footage we'll know what we're dealing with. WB are pretty good at marketing tentpole movies, not sure if Guillermo's name will help at all but the concept alone has got appeal aboard just not so sure domestically.

Busty

Banned
It's weird to see people bad mouthing Warners over this news and yet Legendary gets off relatively easy.

Though WB are the worldwide distributor of the film Pacific Rim is the first project that Legendary developed themselves (they own the IP on it unlike all the other WB films they have co-financed thus far) and thus, I imagine, have ultimate say on the 3D conversion.

I have to wonder whether everyone just looked at the amount of money spent on the film (which was TONS apparently) and just wanted to hedge their bets. And while I love Del Toro's work he hasn't had a film gross over a $100m in the US and over $200m at the worldwide box office so it seems a safe bet to me from a business standpoint.

At the end of the day it makes no difference to me. I'll be seeing the 2D version of this film just as I did with The Avengers, Prometheus and every other 'post converted' 3D movies.

Yep. All post-converted films can go and get fucked. I'm still angry about Gravity, but then so much of what they need to do on that film isn't in-camera that I might reneg and give Cuaron a shot on post-conversion, even if he originally wanted to shoot in natively.

duckroll

It's weird to see people bad mouthing Warners over this news and yet Legendary gets off relatively easy.

Though WB are the worldwide distributor of the film Pacific Rim is the first project that Legendary developed themselves (they own the IP on it unlike all the other WB films they have co-financed thus far) and thus, I imagine, have ultimate say on the 3D conversion.

I have to wonder whether everyone just looked at the amount of money spent on the film (which was TONS apparently) and just wanted to hedge their bets. And while I love Del Toro's work he hasn't had a film gross over a $100m in the US and over $200m at the worldwide box office so it seems a safe bet to me from a business standpoint.

At the end of the day it makes no difference to me. I'll be seeing the 2D version of this film just as I did with The Avengers, Prometheus and every other 'post converted' 3D movies.

Isn't this a 200 million dollar movie or something? It's ridiculous. I agree that it's silly to get worked up over anything since it has no impact on most of us. If they think that post-converting to 3D gives them a better chance to recover their investment, good for them. I can still watch the movie the way it was meant to be seen, and that's all that matters in the end.

Busty

Banned
Isn't this a 200 million dollar movie or something? It's ridiculous. I agree that it's silly to get worked up over anything since it has no impact on most of us. If they think that post-converting to 3D gives them a better chance to recover their investment, good for them. I can still watch the movie the way it was meant to be seen, and that's all that matters in the end.

Exactly. If people want a mega budget 'mechs vs giant monsters' film then they have to understand that there are certain business considerations that have to be taken into account to offset such a massive investment.

If they don't want see Pacific Rim in 3D then don't go to see Pacific Rim in 3D. Vote with your feet. I don't remember there being anything like this sort of noise about The Avengers being post converted into 3D.

Exactly. If people want a mega budget 'mechs vs giant monsters' film then they have to understand that there are certain business considerations that have to be taken into account to offset such a massive investment.

If they don't want see Pacific Rim in 3D then don't go to see Pacific Rim in 3D. Vote with your feet. I don't remember there being anything like this sort of noise about The Avengers being post converted into 3D.

In a lot of countries cinemas reserve the larger screens for the 3D presentations. That means if I want to see it in 2D, I have to watch it on a screen that will be lucky to be half the size. There was this discussion in The Avengers thread. Though it was largely drowned out by the Whedon fun.

duckroll

Certain people here were too busy shitting on Joss Whedon to be bothered on picking on the 3D conversion. We all know how it worked out for those folks! :D

In a lot of countries cinemas reserve the larger screens for the 3D presentations. That means if I want to see it in 2D, I have to watch it on a screen that will be lucky to be half the size. There was this discussion in The Avengers thread. Though it was largely drowned out by the Whedon fun.

I find that for pretty much any film, if it's in digital and the scene is of a decent size, that's pretty much good enough these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom