• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London 2012 Summer Olympics |OT3|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

Found that I can get a return train to London for £49 tomorrow - seriously tempted to try and get tickets to something now, if they put any on sale tonight that is!

My first choices would be track cycling, beach volleyball or athletics, then basketball or weightlifting.

mclem

Found that I can get a return train to London for £49 tomorrow - seriously tempted to try and get tickets to something now, if they put any on sale tonight that is!

My first choices would be track cycling, beach volleyball or athletics, then basketball or weightlifting.

Get AlertBox for firefox, set up alerts for those sports, and stay near your computer. It's worked *wonders* for me.

Edit: Is it worth me throwing together a quick guide for that? There's not long left, but, well, you can successfully purchase tickets just one day in advance, so it might be of use for someone.

Mine ? Nah, I'm just tired of hearing excuses from our commentators and/or functionaries. I can't wait to see the official expectations our ministry had though, maybe (this time) we'll finally either cut back the funding or restructure our system.
No, the British people above losing their heads around the possibility of not winning a gold medal in one event. I think it cheapens it to expect anything in this Olympics, a challenge makes it exciting.

PaulLFC

Get AlertBox for firefox, set up alerts for those sports, and stay near your computer. It's worked *wonders* for me.
Fantastic, thanks! Will do this ASAP.

Do you know if tickets only go on sale towards the end of the day? Will be on the train home from work from about 5-6pm so I won't be able to get anything that goes on sale then unless there are some left once I get home.

mclem

Do you know if tickets only go on sale towards the end of the day? Will be on the train home from work from about 5-6pm so I won't be able to get anything that goes on sale then unless there are some left once I get home.

Common times for tickets to appear would seem to be 10AMish and 11PMish - but they crop up at arbitrary times throughout the day.

L1NETT

Good luck getting tickets :)

Shes also supposed to be running 800m hurdles - I hope she doesn't bail on that we need all the gold we can get.

I tell you what, you get off your ass and go compete instead of complaining so much. Ennis won us a brilliant gold and if she doesn't want to compete in the hurdles why should she?

Linkified

Which events are we talking about here?

All of them, they were given lottery funding cause we were hosting it. But usually there is only enough funding to go to Athletics, Rowing, Sailing and Cycling. That is why we need Gold - it legitimizes the funding going into the training programs. And potentially gets more through sponsorship deals for the rest of the other calendar year.

Cyport

Edit: Is it worth me throwing together a quick guide for that? There's not long left, but, well, you can successfully purchase tickets just one day in advance, so it might be of use for someone.

I find AlertBox a bit confusing. I'm using Check4Change on the athletics page since that's what I want to see. I have had a few notifications but as soon as I apply I never get the tickets.

PaulLFC

Common times for tickets to appear would seem to be 10AMish and 11PMish - but they crop up at arbitrary times throughout the day.
Thanks! Got AlertBox all set up now, there are a few events on sale now but the beach volleyball is £65 for the cheapest ticket! Going to wait and see what pops up later on, previous (sold out) days had tickets from £20 for that event.

Good luck getting tickets :)

numble

Thanks! Got AlertBox all set up now, there are a few events on sale now but the beach volleyball is £65 for the cheapest ticket! Going to wait and see what pops up later on, previous (sold out) days had tickets from £20 for that event.

Those are beach volleyball semifinals. The last 4 best teams. Demand and price should be higher for those.

mclem

Bit of a slow morning today.

Good, it's giving me the opportunity to catch up on yesterday!

I've written a quick Alertbox guide, at least in the context of how *I'm* making use of it. I'll pepper it with a few screenshots and then post it, I do hope someone can get some tickets using it!

Broke my heart to see what happened to McKayla. She was easily the best vaulter, male or female, and just a tiny mistake kept her from a gold. Would have been like if Bolt was leading by 10 meters, looked back at the other runners and tripped before crossing the finish line.

The commentators on NBC made the burn worse. They made her win seem absolutely inevitable prior to that last mishap.

Overall I will say the bias isn't as bad this year on the US side but previous olympics were atrocious. The female commentators were the worst. They couldn't hide their massive bias.

Cyport

I've written a quick Alertbox guide, at least in the context of how *I'm* making use of it. I'll pepper it with a few screenshots and then post it, I do hope someone can get some tickets using it!

Brilliant thanks a lot!

To anyone who has been to the Olympic Park how far is the Aquatics Center to the Park Live screens?

Jamie OD

Today's the day for Ireland's Katie Taylor to begin her quest for gold in boxing! If she loses to GB's Natasha Jonas I'm going to call shenanigans.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

when you were posting last night, I'm sure the athletics evening session was £450 seats only, and it changed just when you posted, so after midnight I think. Morning session is earlier (but evening is the better slot to aim for)

mclem

To anyone who has been to the Olympic Park how far is the Aquatics Center to the Park Live screens?

3ThBw.jpg

I strolled down to the Velodrome before I took my seat yesterday afternoon. It was... a long way. I think the round trip - although I took a fair few pictures on the way - was about forty-five minutes.

Tegris

I've just seen that the United States have lost 7-0 to South Africa in the hockey, who in turn lost 7-1 to Argentina a few games ago... who in turn lost to the United States 1-0. Crazy.

Cyport

I strolled down to the Velodrome before I took my seat yesterday afternoon. It was... a long way. I think the round trip - although I took a fair few pictures on the way - was about forty-five minutes.

Ouch, I'm going to the Women's Diving Finals on Thursday. It finishes at 8.30pm and I want to get there in time to see the 200m finals at 8.55pm. Hmm what to do

They need to show more of that matrix-cam from the gymnastics in highlight reels, it's awesome. They should use it in other sports as well.

mclem

Using Alertbox to secure late Olympic tickets.

I've had a lot of success using a Firefox plugin, Alertbox, to secure low-cost tickets to the Olympic Games. There's only a few days left, but given how successful it's been - and the fact that it's been effective right up until the day before events - that I thought it might be worth writing up a quick guide for how I do it in the hopes that it can help someone else get to experience this amazing event live.

Alertbox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/alertbox/

Allows you to set up alerts for webpages, to prompt you whenever they update.

Finding the Tickets page:

One problem that exists is that it can be hard to actually *get* to the ticketing page for a given event; if tickets aren't available, you can't navigate directly to the page. I think you can get there if you have the direct URL, but I've not found a way to get that without navigating through the search. If you search with 'show available sessions only' turned *off*, though, you can use Alertbox to help you out there, too.

Button available

No button available.

If there's no button available, you'll need to do a first step just to *get* to the tickets page, unless someone can find a way to the pages independently. We can use Alertbox to help with that, too; as soon as *any* tickets appear - even if they're the expensive ones - it'll prompt us. Even if you don't want to spend hundreds of pounds, that'll get you to the ticket page, where you can use the second step to find the right price.

LQZph.png

That's the Alertbox control. The numbers on the right: First number is the amount of alerts thathave been triggered but haven't been read, the second is the amount of alerts active. Click on the numbers and you'll get a list of your active alerts, and from there you can navigate to the page that's updated. For now, though, cick on the bell to get to the main control panel.

nUKD4.png

On the simple control panel, there's easy enough instructions on the left. Click on the 'Currently unavailable", title it and give it a frequency to check (I've personally gone for 3 minutes, but you can set any time. It's worth bearing in mind, though, that you need a frequency which gives you sufficient time to *react* to it when it comes!). Hit "Add Alert".

When that alert pings, you *should* - all being well - have a ticketing button available. You can now start to go for getting alerts for price instead.

Alerts on pricing

There's quite a few events where there's tickets available, but they're extremely expensive ones. If they're beyond your budget (and I must highlight that the cheap seats I've had at the events I've been to have had *excellent* views!), you'll want to try to get alerts on a given price instead.

UAodD.png

£725 is *well* beyond my budget! Open Alertbox again, and this time select that price category dropdown:

SLZ4Q.png

Again title and set timings as appropriate, then hit "Add Alert". And now... you wait!

Final warnings

There's a couple of things you still need to be aware of:

* If - on a pricing alert - you get a red "An error was encountered" response when it updates, that means that - for now - the page has updated to one where no tickets are currently available. Don't worry too much about that, when the ticketing dropdown reappears, the alerts will pick it up once more.

* The website is... somewhat flaky. It's quite possible to add a cheap ticket to your basket but still not be able to find it. Or worse, it does have a habit of 'finding' cheap tickets, but actually offering you full-price ones. Before you commit to the purchase, *double-check* the price.

* Don't be afraid to phone them instead. Under high demand - which seems to be a lot of the time - it may well be easier to get in through the phones. That's how I got my opening ceremony tickets; as soon as Alertbox pinged, I had one hand on the mouse going through the website, the other on the phone. The phone won that time. The other times, the website has been fine, but keep your options open.

* You can also set alerts on entire pages. I don't particularly like doing that, because it shows up a lot of unhelpful responses; for instance, when I log into the site, since the Welcome message is different, suddenly I get a bunch of alerts telling me that those pages have changed! Nevertheless, that is also an option for keeping up-to-date.

* The website will occasionally show tickets available when they've actually run out - it can be slow at updating the price tiers available dropdown to signify that the tickets are no longer available. That, I believe, is what's happening when you're able to place tickets in your basket but not go on to find them when the search happens. Be patient, F5 a bit but if they're not coming, best to wait for the next time around.

* Given the late stage we're at, I wouldn't risk trying to have the tickets delivered (if that's even still an option!). You can collect them from the park with suitable ID (you might want to double-check what's required for that!), or you can print them at home; I only needed the printout for the latter. One small addition is that if you print them at home you (of course!) don't get the Games Travelcard... but then you don't get the £6 surcharge for delivery either, it's roughly a wash.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
To WrassleGAFers present I bet Vince would love him to go to developmental.

He'd only end up sticking him in a worthless tag team...

One small addition is that if you print them at home you (of course!) don't get the Games Travelcard... but then you don't get the £6 surcharge for delivery either, it's roughly a wash.
I printed mine at home and I didn't even need the Games Travelcard to use the Javelin.

Meadows

Banned
lol me and my dad are watching the hockey and he just nonchalantly says "I used to go out with the England Women's hockey captain when I was in school". Something like Mary Eckersall or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom