• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Woorloog

Banned
I just realized..what's with the FOV shift between these two gifs?

Different builds most likely. I reckon the upper one is newer and the FOV has been reduced to increase performance, though i'm not sure if reducing the FOV a bit helps much.
Can't think of any other reason for reducing the FOV.

What is bread?

bread.jpg

So evil.

Overdoziz

Banned
Eat real bread, motherfucker.

I wish I could play Black Mesa. :(
Played it up until right before you get the crowbar and it's surprisingly good. The voice acting is better than expected, Eli and Kleiner show up which is a nice touch and the moment right after the explosion has a better feel to it than the original. I'm okay with the fact that it's not just the same game with a new graphics layer on top because the graphics are pretty outdated already.

I would love for Halo 4 to have a stats API so alternate sites can be created as well as mobile apps, I'd like to mess around with it too. I don't feel like we'll see one though. I'm thinking they won't be with it enoigh yet and their code base won't be at a place to provide one. Maybe it'd come later. I hope I am wrong though.

I have some ideas I would love to try out with a API, do any other games have them?

Played it up until right before you get the crowbar and it's surprisingly good. The voice acting is better than expected, Eli and Kleiner show up which is a nice touch and the moment right after the explosion has a better feel to it than the original. I'm okay with the fact that it's not just the same game with a new graphics layer on top because the graphics are pretty outdated already.

From the screenshots and videos I've seen, it looks so fantastic. I want to play badly.

IHaveIce

Banned
holly michaels talk heh? nice.
Sitting here at work reading how ellis says that he boots up halo 4 and frankie wants to play reach first... wat

GodlyPerfection, I think the end result of your system would be that players feel like they have less control over the gametypes/maps they have to play. Some players are very picky about what maps they want to play on. Other players are picky about gametypes. Some players (myself included) only care about specific combinations of the two. Players fluctuate between their preferences all the time, so you can't just split up the population into what they're picky about and be done with it.

Player Red: "The last four games I've played on have been Sword Base. I'm sick of it."
Matchmaking: "You get to vote on gametype! The other team gets to pick the map."
Player Red: "Fuck."

Player Blue: "I don't care what map I play, I just want to vote for DMR starts."
Matchmaking: "LOL. Pick a map. Red team picked AR starts."
Player Blue: "Anyone want to play Reach?"

Finally got around to this. How I see it is that it is the same compromise you make in the schoolyard. One team gets first pick the other team gets ball first. For the most part I think people will be more comfortable with the ability to fully control at last one part of the game selection and be able to accept the second choice. It could make things more acceptable as long as a good majority of the maps/gametypes are enjoyed by a strong part of the community. Right now we have choices between Swordbase, Pinnacle, Uncaged, etc. that are disliked by a large part of the community. So as long as the content holds up to what the community wants then this system could work out quite well.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/beau-blue/bread.jpg[IMG]

So evil.[/QUOTE]

SMH, anyway, just got sleeping dogs through the post, this will be last new game I play till H4 hits.

Also, OddOne, seeming as you asked yesterday, customs tonight, be there! 9.30 pm BST.

Anyone else is welcome to join, will generally be more serious stuff, with a sprinkling of 2forts!

Finally got around to this. How I see it is that it is the same compromise you make in the schoolyard. One team gets first pick the other team gets ball first. For the most part I think people will be more comfortable with the ability to fully control at last one part of the game selection and be able to accept the second choice. It could make things more acceptable as long as a good majority of the maps/gametypes are enjoyed by a strong part of the community. Right now we have choices between Swordbase, Pinnacle, Uncaged, etc. that are disliked by a large part of the community. So as long as the content holds up to what the community wants then this system could work out quite well.

I think keep it simple. Have a system similar to reach, but somewhat like Halo 3.

You have 3 choices:
  1. Gametype A on Map X
  2. Gametype B on Map Y
  3. VETO
If a two thirds majority (or 50%, so the numbers make more sense) elects to veto, then a random map/game-type pair is chosen like Halo 3.
Reduces lobby time whilst maintaining user choice.

Changes from Reach:
  • Split screen players count as one vote (1 vote per console).
  • Gametype A != Gametype B
  • Map A != Map B
  • ONLY VOTES TO VETO ARE SHOWN.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I am not saying that Sword Base and Uncaged are better, worse, indifferent. But I would point out that the bolded is actually at odds with 'democracy' and that voting clearly shows a majority of people do in fact like these maps a lot. Map tastes can be subjective, but I think the objective criticism is repetition. Because these maps are voted up so frequently, hardcore players start to at least vocally resent/hate/criticize them - and I mean that as a separate phenomenon from problem areas or specific criticisms like lift room heat map and so on. This of course is true of ALL shooters, as Nuketown etc demonstrate - often with even more frequency than anything in Reach.

FyreWulff

Might as well make the veto combination the third option and remove the veto if you're going with the "vote on two or veto into a third"

Slot 1 is your primetime slot

Slot 2 is the gametype is also popular, but slightly less likely to win or is roughly equal to the first

Slot 3 is where you put the less popular but still viable option, usually a bit more fringe stuff goes here

Talents

Banned
Keep the same voting system, hide other people's votes, done.

Tbh, I actually liked the previous voting system, the same map always gets picked and it just gets stale and repetitive.

Before Reach, I actually wanted a ranking system like Reach's, but it has shown that the more popular maps will always get picked, which makes them boring in a way.

Stinkles

I don't get why most of HaloGAF fails to understand why Heavies is more popular than regular BTB. You all are still trying to attach some modicum of skill to it. When in reality, BTB is a playlist for huge battles and driving tanks.

Can we come up with a term that delineates DMR headshotting or competitive slayer technique from the english language dictionary word word skill? Because everything requires skill. Literally. The idea that it takes 'no skill' to operate a vehicle, or throw a grenade, or climb a structure is faulty. And it grinds my gears.

In fact I think the word technique gets ignored too often in competitive semantics. It is the foundation of skill.

Might as well make the veto combination the third option and remove the veto if you're going with the "vote on two or veto into a third"

Slot 1 is your primetime slot

Slot 2 is the gametype is also popular, but slightly less likely to win or is roughly equal to the first

Slot 3 is where you put the less popular but still viable option, usually a bit more fringe stuff goes here

I might be under-thinking it, but what if you flipped that. Least popular on top. Would it lead to players trying out new stuff rather than following the crowd?
Can we come up with a term that delineates DMR headshotting or competitive slayer technique from the english language dictionary word word skill? Because everything requires skill. Literally. The idea that it takes 'no skill' to operate a vehicle, or throw a grenade, or climb a structure is faulty. And it grinds my gears.
Bread.

IHaveIce

Banned
I am not saying that Sword Base and Uncaged are better, worse, indifferent. But I would point out that the bolded is actually at odds with 'democracy' and that voting clearly shows a majority of people do in fact like these maps a lot. Map tastes can be subjective, but I think the objective criticism is repetition. Because these maps are voted up so frequently, hardcore players start to at least vocally resent/hate/criticize them - and I mean that as a separate phenomenon from problem areas or specific criticisms like lift room heat map and so on. This of course is true of ALL shooters, as Nuketown etc demonstrate - often with even more frequency than anything in Reach.
of course they are getting voted, these are maps that are easy to abuse or to camp, the same reason snipers is voted on blood gulch.

Keep the same voting system, hide other people's votes, done.
this + better launch map control and fixing ( example zealot flag spawns) and gametypes perfectly chosen for the maps

Fuchsdh

In fact I think the word technique gets ignored too often in competitive semantics. It is the foundation of skill.

Get some WD-40 for that. Bourbon works in a pinch.

But I would point out that the bolded is actually at odds with 'democracy' and that voting clearly shows a majority of people do in fact like these maps a lot.
Does that control for 'default' voting? That is, are your stats based on the results of voting, or on what people push a button to vote for?

Stinkles

I might be under-thinking it, but what if you flipped that. Least popular on top. Would it lead to players trying out new stuff rather than following the crowd?

Yes it would. It it would also lead to afk bias and mean that often people are playing maps nobody likes much and reducing the quality of everyone's experience which would negatively impact matchmaking. Democracy is a bitch.

Yes it would. It it would also lead to afk bias and mean that often people are playing maps nobody likes much and reducing the quality of everyone's experience which would negatively impact matchmaking. Democracy is a bitch.

Remove ALL of the voting!

What if no vote = no vote, not the item at the top of the list? Such that ordering only affects which is chosen in event of a tie?

I haven't read into that stuff, but it seems strange voting and losing the vote is statistically proven to retain players? I thought it would be the other way... Lose the vote and you want to quit because the option you find fun was vetoed and something you dislike came up. That's phycologically pretty powerful, and I know it has put me off matches in the past.

I love waiting around long enough to watch half the lobby dashboard quit when Rocket Hog Race is voted for then quitting myself. Hahahahahaha now they have to play hog race with only two teams in the match, serves them right for being so selfish as to vote for it :)

Forgot how prevalent Hemorrhage is in Team Snipers.

Not sure how folks put up with that nonsense for very long.

Still one of the most imbalanced team-colour spawns in the game. Another guaranteed quit if things start to go even mildly wrong, more so if I'm on blue team. Before people whine, it's 2012 and life is far, far too short for rocket race and hem snipes. I played a 3v3 Hem snipes a few days ago; it lasted the full 12 minutes and ended something like 38-22. Soul sapping.

Stinkles

of course they are getting voted, these are maps that are easy to abuse or to camp, the same reason snipers is voted on blood gulch.

this + better launch map control and fixing ( example zealot flag spawns) and gametypes perfectly chosen for the maps

This is projection. Snipers is supposed to be about camping and abuse. Other maps like countdown and Sword Base don't really get abused unless one team has zero idea what's happening, which is lopsided non abuse anyway. The only time maps get seriously abused is at a very high level of play. And that's by people who all know what's happening and can take steps to redress the balance. I am not saying it never happens, I am saying its hardly a plague.

IHaveIce

Banned
Outside of high level Arena games, I suspect the % of time this happens in matchmaking is pretty small.
every sword baseap I play ends in camping on the damn lift room. same for snipers.

Uncaged is easily to dominate when everyone plays jetpack, even spawncamping becomes easy.

maybe the % is low, but I will say that is probably the main reason to vote for it.
This is projection. Snipers is supposed to be about camping and abuse. Other maps like countdown and Sword Base don't really get abused unless one team has zero idea what's happening, which is lopsided non abuse anyway. The only time maps get seriously abused is at a very high level of play. And that's by people who all know what's happening and can take steps to redress the balance. I am not saying it never happens, I am saying its hardly a plague.
maybe you are right. Countdown gets hardly abused, only the corridors are incredible small for reach's nades.

OF course these kind of playstyle is only used by experienced players, you are right. maybe it is just happening for me to often lol

Stinkles

every sword baseap I play ends in camping on the damn lift room. same for snipers.

Uncaged is easily to dominate when everyone plays jetpack, even spawncamping becomes easy.

maybe the % is low, but I will say that is probably the main reason to vote for it.

That's a heat map issue. It's inarguable that it happens, but it's not lopsided and teams trade off lift room and main ramp all the time.

Right, but this is a false charge, because people really do understand that all of the above actions require skill -- or technique if you prefer. What is implicit in their position is that the margin of error for placing the first headshot on someone in a 1v1 DMR duel -- versus landing a Reach-style grenade in their vicinity or, Jesus Christ, firing a Scorpion's cannon in their general direction -- is much finer. When someone says the latter things take "no skill" they are using hyperbole to express "much less precise technique".

And in the context of Heavies, all those sloppy margins lying across one another in a cluttered and at times arbitrary environment where things spawn frequently and sustained resource (i.e., weapons and vehicles) control is mitigated against, the "technique gap" if you like, gives greater expected value to underdogs. Which isn't inherently bad, let's be clear, but causes dismay to those who are typically not underdogs (e.g., oh, I don't know, kylej), because their +EV is being chipped away at.

I'm going to go on record and say I like nuketown.

Does anyone want to play halo 3?

Is it? Maybe realistic sniping is, but Halo sniping has always felt more arcadey and like Quake where people can run and jump and headshot eachother with railguns. Camping is possible, but if the game is built the right way and the maps are designed to prevent abuse, snipers can be very fast paced and exciting.

Blood Gulch felt like a better snipers map than Hemmorage, perhaps because of the game mechanics, but also because it didnt seem as easy for players to just crouch somewhere. Although maybe player behaviour is different between the two games in general? All I know is, play Halo PC on Blood Gulch right now and the difference in how people approach the game is monumental.

I stand corrected as I don't have the access to player data for analysis, though I did assume so from observation and experience. I can definitely agree if that is the case and the phenomenon makes sense for sure. The more exposed you are to a map the more of an opinion you want to have on it because of the time you spend on the map both at a conscious and subconscious level. If I spent most of my time in MM on something like Reflection I'll have a much stronger opinion than the comparable amount of time on Temple (actually finally played this one a few days ago... lol).

Such a phenomenon does target said selections for deeper analysis and feedback parsing. As well as considering that the highly vocal and sometimes influential forum community is typically the minority versus those who aren't as vocal on the forums. It is always nice to see new people that join the community because of new changes in order to get their voice heard, but I feel it's safe to say that it is impossible to get everyone to voice their opinion. I love this sort of analysis. ;)

I for one enjoy Swordbase for my own reasons. And Uncaged clashes with my camo playstyle, but I do appreciate its clever and obscure line of sights and ability to steadily balance out traffic around the map. ;) Well at least much better than the Cage. I only really noticed the line of sights as I was fully rebuilding Uncaged from scratch... don't ask. I appreciate certain aspects of Uncaged, just don't like the map in general.

And I have my own opinion of why both happen to be quite frequently picked. But I'll avoid voicing to save the argument. :)

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
While I'm not particularly found of some of the Heavies maps- I don't see what all the fuss is over the playtype.

My time in vehicles is practically nil- the +1 for headshots makes it a disadvantage to get in from my experience.

Duji

Yes, the maps are voted for frequently. But there are many things that should be factored into the equation:
  • the frequency the map shows up in the first place
  • where it often shows up on the voting list (top vs mid vs bottom)
  • strategic counter-picking (voting for a map that the other team didn't vote for)
  • voting for a map due to one playing better on the map (ex. a player whose K/D is 0.9 on Snowbound and 1.3 on The Pit is probably going to choose The Pit)
  • gametype: self explanatory
  • and also whether or not people only vote for maps that they're familiar with (Uncaged and Sword Base are both disc maps and have a clear advantage in this regard)

I personally don't hold much regard to the fact that Uncaged and Sword Base get more votes than most maps.

Stinkles

Right, but this is a false charge, because people really do understand that all of the above actions require skill -- or technique if you prefer. What is implicit in their position is that the margin of error for placing the first headshot on someone in a 1v1 DMR duel -- versus landing a Reach-style grenade in their vicinity or, Jesus Christ, firing a Scorpion's cannon in their general direction -- is much finer. When someone says the latter things take "no skill" they are using hyperbole to express "much less precise technique".

And in the context of Heavies, all those sloppy margins lying across one another in a cluttered and at times arbitrary environment where things spawn frequently and sustained resource (i.e., weapons and vehicles) control is mitigated against, the "technique gap" if you like, gives greater expected value to underdogs. Which isn't inherently bad, let's be clear, but causes dismay to those who are typically not underdogs (e.g., oh, I don't know, kylej), because their +EV is being chipped away at.

Yes but Halo is a sandbox game and the term skill seems to be reserved for a very narrow range of actions within that sandbox. It's not a philosophical issue for me, it's one of semantics. Partly because my whole job is to care about every aspect of the game and the audience, regardless of my narrow interests. Otherwise I would say that only one shot head kills on Zealot count as skill. In that regard I am an outlier on this forum because people here to tend to gravitate around three or four aspects of the game - especially at this point in its lifespan.

kylej

Banned
I can't believe that in 2012 we still have to choose between a select few playlists filled with content that one person in Seattle has deemed "correct".

DeadNames

Banned
While I'm not particularly found of some of the Heavies maps- I don't see what all the fuss is over the playtype.

My time in vehicles is practically nil- the +1 for headshots makes it a disadvantage to get in from my experience.

I think it's a combo of the map+gametype for heavies. Maps like Cragmire (sorry), Graveyard (?), Delta Facility, and others have too much emphasis on vehicles, and walking around as infantry will usually get you killed.

Although Asphalt is a decent map.

I for one enjoy Swordbase for my own reasons. And Uncaged clashes with my camo playstyle, but I do appreciate its clever and obscure line of sights and ability to steadily balance out traffic around the map. ;) Well at least much better than the Cage. I only really noticed the line of sights as I was fully rebuilding Uncaged from scratch... don't ask. I appreciate certain aspects of Uncaged, just don't like the map in general.
Replace The Cage and Uncaged with my Recaged. All problems solved ;)

Top Bottom