• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Any 2005 GPU that can run BF3?

If Orbis and Durango target close to 3 teraflops alongside 8 GB of RAM, well son', Agnis Philosophy will be a reality.

Something “different” around Agni’s Philosophy, Square Enix’s next generation, Luminous Studio-based tech demo, will be revealed around June of next year (E3, we take it), Square Enix worldwide technology director Julien Merceron has teased. And whatever it is, it will run on “different platforms.”

“So, around June of next year, there will indeed be something different around Agni’s Philosophy, which will be presented on, perhaps, different platforms than those which have been used before,” Merceron told FFDream.

Asked if that meant it wouldn’t be running on PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360, Merceron teased, “I can tell you that it will not run only on PC!”

It is widely believed Sony and Microsoft will reveal their next generation consoles during or before next year’s E3.

3TFLOPS/8GB? xD

i-Lo

It's a REAL TIME tech demo running on a GTX 680. It's indeed possible effects wise. Animations might be different though, but in terms of the realistic lighting, particle effects, and geometry, YES... it IS possible next gen because it's possible on current gen PC tech.

Note that i said it's POSSIBLE, not that it's going to happen because it all depends on what's in the next gen for the GPU (which is how all of this magic is possible). If they have a GPU that's the equivalent of a GTX 670&680 or Radeon HD7970, then it will happen for sure. They will also need a TON of ram on the console to compliment it. 8GB is a must for next gen IMO.

We have to remember that many games today are limited in design due to the low amount of ram they're designing their games on. They're working with less that 512mb people. That's a much bigger hindrance than the GPU or CPU currently in the consoles.

Don't think it'll be 8GB in PS4, no matter which way you cut it. Even if the raw figure is 8G,B a portion (assuming 1GB) would be reserved for OS (don't if it'd be locked or unlocked like PS3). Personally, I think we'll get 4GB total with around 3GB for game development (at least in the beginning). At least it's better than 2GB overall which was the initial rumour.

Nope.Also that you mentioned that earlier wasn't the 7800 GT less powerful than the xenos?So xenos was the best single gpu on the market in 2005?

Xenos was better than RSX, but it had 128 bit memory bus like RSX. I think it would lose to the high end R520 X1800XT or G70 7800 GTX PC card from 2005. It had more features but less overall muscle.

Reiko

Banned
Don't think it'll be 8GB in PS4, no matter which way you cut it. Even if the raw figure is 8G,B a portion (assuming 1GB) would be reserved for OS (don't if it'd be locked or unlocked like PS3). Personally, I think we'll get 4GB total with around 3GB for game development (at least in the beginning). At least it's better than 2GB overall which was the initial rumour.

Would 3GB be enough to get rid of Crytek's aggressive LOD pop in on consoles? Even more so that they're using tessellation?

Sid

Xenos was better than RSX, but it had 128 bit memory bus like RSX. I think it would lose to the high end R520 X1800XT or G70 7800 GTX PC card from 2005. It had more features but less overall muscle.
Interesting but then why is a 7800 gtx below the minimum requirements for BF3?Windows overhead?

i-Lo

Would 3GB be enough to get rid of Crytek's aggressive LOD pop in on consoles? Even more so that they're using tessellation?

I don't think they would pour their resources into taking advantage of potential implementation of either SSD or 16xBD (peak transfer rate of 72MBps). We may still see gimped ports from them. For the system's potential it'll be best to look toward Sony's 1st parties. They should be able to mitigate a potential lack of RAM through the usage of advanced streaming methods (which are ever evolving).

Pertaining to LOD pop in (one of the most distracting elements in 3D games today) I have always wondered why not use some form of progressive tessellation with one base and one final model?

Sid

I hope we get some news regarding backwards compatibility too, i am willing to pay extra cash if it means i can have the Ps3 and the Ps4 in the same hardware.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If PS3 playback is more important to you, buy a PS3 and play PS4 games via Gaikai-ed up forwards compatibility.

If PS4 playback is more important to you, buy a PS4 and play PS3 games Gaikai-ed up backwards compatibility.

Simples ;)

Sid

If PS3 playback is more important to you, buy a PS3 and play PS4 games via Gaikai-ed up forwards compatibility.

If PS4 playback is more important to you, buy a PS4 and play PS3 games Gaikai-ed up backwards compatibility.

Simples ;)
lol yeah,but what about the people who don't have a 4 mbps connection which is the minimum requirement for playing via gaikai?how will they play their ps3 games on the ps4?

Sid

The God of War 4K Collection
lol,4k 120fps 4d.

No. Full HD means 1080p resolution. I suspect most publishers would love to recycle their best selling franchises and for that, they would use their PC version to achieve that.
I know what that means but for the general consumer that isn't much of a difference at all,i don't think this idea would take off,there has to be some way for ensuring b/c on the ps4 so that all the s/w purchased as well as the psn profiles for the ps3 carries over.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The fun usually starts a few months before it.
Since 2003, Spike TV’s “Video Game Awards,” has paid tribute to the year’s absolute best in gaming and featured exclusive world premieres of the most anticipated games of the future. The “VGAs” have gained the reputation of being the place for the world’s top video publishers to premiere their titles, and this year, “VGA Ten” will provide a sneak peak of the next generation of gaming.
Source: http://www.spike.com/press/2012/06/04/samuel-l-jackson-to-host-vga-ten/

There's also GDC 2013. Information about speakers and tracks haven't been made available yet, and the floor plans indicate little that there is something big to be unveiled/shown there. But that might change.

As for the discussion, I'm mostly interested in what kind of RAM memory they are going to use. Will it be DDR4, HMC, Z-RAM even?

Sid

Rösti;43927115 said:
Source: http://www.spike.com/press/2012/06/04/samuel-l-jackson-to-host-vga-ten/

There's also GDC 2013. Information about speakers and tracks haven't been made available yet, and the floor plans indicate little that there is something big to be unveiled/shown there. But that might change.

As for the discussion, I'm mostly interested in what kind of RAM memory they are going to use. Will it be DDR4, HMC, Z-RAM even?
Yeah and then there's sony's playstation meetings too at which they unveil their new consoles.

Sandfox

Yah there's really no reason not to do this. Minimal effort on the part of devs. Would be amazing to play the last of us in 1080p 60fps and enhanced shadow maps and lighting.

That sounds cool but I don't think devs would want to put in all that work for games that most people will be done playing by the time the PS4 comes.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Where does the rumor about Durango 6970 target spec comes from? If true, that would mean that ~3TF spec is definitely in the cards, as 6970 has 2.7TF.

Proelite

Where does the rumor about Durango 6970 target spec comes from? If true, that would mean that ~3TF spec is definitely in the cards, as 6970 has 2.7TF.

The alpha kits have 6870/6950 based on the profile of the GPU from the back. Not sure where 6970 comes from.

i-Lo

Assume that it'll be an near equivalent (if it is indeed 6970) with Sea Island line (88XX most likely).

More ads in the OS!

(Sony is already starting with that fucking Singstar integration :/)

So this is why i have SingStar on my fucking XMB. I know i did not download it, and i can´t delete it. Fucking stupid intrusive shit. This does not bode well for next gen advertising and intrusiveness wise.

Many games are getting a digital release on PSN anyway. These PS3 games could be made playable on PS4 just like PS2 classics on PS3 consoles with no BC.

Either way, they'd be charging for them (they won't be able to convince every developer to port their games to new hardware for free).

I don't here many people talking about the option about partial hardware emulation... do we know the current market price of the cell by itself? I imagine that would be the only difficult part to emulate (or build compatible functions into). RSX was an off the shelf Nvidia card with a limited bus, a new AMD chip would be able to cover that well enough.

It wouldn't be like the PS2 where the entire system was kind of off for that.

Also, anyone with sources here anything about a full software PS2 emulator akin to the PS1 emu found in PS3 (or the partial one in PS3)? Would at least nice to be able to have that BC.

True. 8GB is reaching. 512mb-1gb for the OS reserve is a must. 1.5gb min for 1080p frame buffer. That's already 2-2.5gb taken up already. 4GB total sounds reasonable IMO. 1.5-2GB free OUTSIDE of the 1.5gb used for the 1080p frame buffer for the devs to use is better than the measly 300 something mb total they have to work with now. I'd want 8GB for the sake of the future, but i'd be satisfied with 4GB so long as it's all one large unified pool of fast ram and they have a decent amount of edram on chip.

Sid

True. 8GB is reaching. 512mb-1gb for the OS reserve is a must. 1.5gb min for 1080p frame buffer. That's already 2-2.5gb taken up already. 4GB total sounds reasonable IMO. 1.5-2GB free for the devs to use is better than the measly 300 something mb they have to work with now. I'd want 8GB for the sake of the future, but i'd be satisfied with 4GB so long as it's all one large unified pool of fast ram and they have a decent amount of edram on chip.
I think it'll be 4GB GDDR5 with 512MB reserved for the OS.

RaijinFY

True. 8GB is reaching. 512mb-1gb for the OS reserve is a must. 1.5gb min for 1080p frame buffer. That's already 2-2.5gb taken up already. 4GB total sounds reasonable IMO. 1.5-2GB free OUTSIDE of the 1.5gb used for the 1080p frame buffer for the devs to use is better than the measly 300 something mb total they have to work with now. I'd want 8GB for the sake of the future, but i'd be satisfied with 4GB so long as it's all one large unified pool of fast ram and they have a decent amount of edram on chip.

The ram dont need to be as fast if you have some kind of edram associated to the GPU (or in that case, the APU).

i-Lo

For PS3 iirc it's around 50MB for OS since the last two or three years. So the devs have about 460 MB to work with.

Pertaining to frame buffer, can I ask how it requires around 1.5GB @1080p? Also are you talking about VRAM exclusively?

Pertaining to OS, the Vita's one seems to add more features and I think that one uses around 256MB for it. So it boggles my mind just what form of OS are we to see that may require between 512MB to 1GB RAM?

Erasus

Interesting but then why is a 7800 gtx below the minimum requirements for BF3?Windows overhead?

DirectX and eveyone dosent have the same pc hardware.....

On PS3 and 360 devs can code to the metal and use the most of the hardware.

A 7800GTX cant run Killzone 3, BF3, Crysis 2, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Wipeout HD etc etc

You cant compare it that bluntly, even though some comparisions can be made with what pcs can do.

For PS3 iirc it's around 50MB for OS since the last two or three years. So the devs have about 460 MB to work with.

Pertaining to frame buffer, can I ask how it requires around 1.5GB @1080p? Also are you talking about VRAM exclusively?

Pertaining to OS, the Vita's one seems to add more features and I think that one uses around 256MB for it. So it boggles my mind just what form of OS are we to see that may require between 512MB to 1GB RAM?

I was talking about 1.5gb to use for VRAM. OS footprints are small, but i can see them walling off a section from devs for system use only like Nintendo does with their Wii U. I don't see why they would even need 512mb in this day and age, but i was being very generous with the partitioning to account for the worst case scenarios.

z0m3le

Banned
7Ls8v.jpg

They can put a custom 28nm Oland Pro.

This chart was released as guess work and has been sourced numerous times as fact. I've even linked to the source in the past to prove this. It makes no logical sense as Wattage goes down while chip size, number of transistors and clock speeds all raise. It's literally magic and people are eating it up.

http://videocardz.com/34981/amd-radeon-hd-8870-and-hd-8850-specifiation-leaked here is the source

This is the first line in the title: "Well, maybe this is not a leak, but prediction." <again it breaks the laws of physics, yes they can find efficiency problems with GCN, but nothing that will show gains like this while receding in every other area. It's baffling that it was taken seriously.

i-Lo

I was talking about 1.5gb to use for VRAM. OS footprints are small, but i can see them walling off a section from devs for system use only like Nintendo does with their Wii U. I don't see why they would even need 512mb in this day and age, but i was being very generous with the partitioning to account for the worst case scenarios.

The "walling" as you put it is thing I'm afraid of. I don't think they'd do it because later down the line it could be detrimental to projects aiming to improve the OS's efficiency. Does anyone know if Vita's OS RAM footprint is locked or not?

Also, pertaining to VRAM frame buffer, I don't quite understand why it would require 1.5GB (and I'm a technical novice at best) since I have seen graphics cards come with 1GB of GDDR5 VRAM run games @1080p comfortably.

yeah it will come out next fall, developers are developing on PCs now and will port games to PS4/720. This is why huge leap should not be expected day1 aka first year and a half. Although there is always that one first party game that makes your eyes scream of how amazing it looks.

huge leap should be expected from first party devs with more knowledge, obviously the engines will improve but still....

RaijinFY

This chart was released as guess work and has been sourced numerous times as fact. I've even linked to the source in the past to prove this. It makes no logical sense as Wattage goes down while chip size, number of transistors and clock speeds all raise. It's literally magic and people are eating it up.

http://videocardz.com/34981/amd-radeon-hd-8870-and-hd-8850-specifiation-leaked here is the source

This is the first line in the title: "Well, maybe this is not a leak, but prediction." <again it breaks the laws of physics, yes they can find efficiency problems with GCN, but nothing that will show gains like this while receding in every other area. It's baffling that it was taken seriously.

TDP in the Radeon 7870 is ~170w but peak wattage is more ~120w. Though i would take clearly this chart with caution.

Proelite

Piecing little bits and pieces that I heard,

Orbis:

Customized Kaveri APU with > 1 teraflop
2-4GB of DDR4

Audio DSP

Customized Sea Island discrete GPU 2-3 teraflops
1-2GB GDDR5

ARM + PowerVr SOC (Apps and OS only)
2GB LDDR3

The Arm SOC allows for easy porting of both Vita and mobile games.

i-Lo

Piecing little bits and pieces that I heard,

Orbis:

Customized Kaveri APU with > 1 teraflop
4GB of DDR4

Audio DSP

Customized Sea Island discrete GPU 2-3 teraflops
2GB GDDR5

ARM + PowerVr SOC (Apps and OS only)
2GB LDDR3

The Arm SOC allows for easy porting of both Vita and mobile games.

I'm confused. Current rumours state the PS4 to have 8GB RAM in total?

Top Bottom