• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

vg247-PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base, final version next summer

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Well, it does somehow. I mean, PS4 and 720 haven't even been announced yet (and are therefore unknown to the general public) and sales are still declining. This has nothing to do with the end of the hardware cycle but with the oversaturation of the market. The 720 should have launched already last year. Just look at the hardware and software sales 09/10 was the all time high this gen and it has been going down ever since. People are getting bored.

Sales are declining?

Units per Million...
2006---
360: 8.9 (10.4)
ps3: 1.7 (1.7)

2007---
360: 7.3 (17.7)
ps3: 8.7 (10.4)

2008---
360: 10.8 (28.5)
ps3: 10.7 (21.1)

2009---
360: 10.2 (38.7)
ps3: 12.4 (33.5)

2010---
360: 12.1 (50.8)
ps3: 14.4 (47.9)

2011---
360: 14.9 (65.7)
ps3: 14.1 (62)

You say its nothing to do with the hardware cycle rather its over-saturation? They are one in the same. Its part of the hardware cycle.

z0m3le

Banned
You really think Nintendo is going to fast track a system on a five year cycle? Even Wii was around for seven years

North America Timeline for Nintendo Home Consoles:

NES: October 18, 1985 (5 years 10 month life cycle)
SNES: August 23rd 1991 (5 years 1 month life cycle)
N64: September 29th 1996 (5 years 2 month life cycle)
GCN: November 18th 2001 (5 year life cycle)
Wii: November 18 2006 (6 year life cycle)
Wii U: November 18 2012

So it's not fast tracking, 5 to 6 years is the norm for Nintendo, and if their console is doing badly, 5 years is well within their history (Gamecube)

thuway

Sales are declining?

Units per Million...
2006---

2007---

2008---

2009---

2010---

2011---

You say its nothing to do with the hardware cycle rather its over-saturation? They are one in the same. Its part of the hardware cycle.

I would argue these consoles still have life in them for two more years worth of sales.

The bottom line is this whatever these companies are doing is not outputting any positive dividend. Only mad people keep on doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome.
So doing the same thing for longer but on Wii U is the answer?

MDX

Call of Duty sold what? 1 million against nearly 10 each on 360/PS3? Then there are other games highly praised by the Wii crowd like Goldeneye. Did it sell?

What about some first party core games? Xenoblade sold like shit, Zelda:SS sold about 3,5 million with a userbase of almost 100 million. That´s less than half of what OoT sold on the N64 with 3 times the userbase.

There were basically two things selling on this hardware, casual stuff, and Nintendo franchises like Mario (Kart). That´s it. And the WiiU is heading exactly in the same direction.

You can say the same for the 360 and Ps3.

But you intentionally sandbagged the argument.

COD: was an after thought on the Wii. No promotion but still did really good.
Now with the WiiU activision has smartly made it a launch game.

Xenoblade is first party.
And not fully supported as their mainline games.
But I bet it did better than Sony and their big budget Killzone.
In relation to the budget/sales ratio.
Same goes for Zelda (which has been declining in sales for awhile)
Which I attribute to fans growing older not playing with consoles anymore.
New Wii owners do not know the original appeal to Zelda, metroid, etc.
Which means Nintendo has to grow the fanbase again.

As far as I know Goldeneye did good numbers.
But again, its a remake, it came late in the game.
FPSs genre on the Wii was not cultivated properly by third parties
and many gamers got their fix from buying an HD console.

AmFreak

Cause, basicly no one, aside from the hardcore Nintendo fan, wants to play this games on the Wii. There is no alternate universe in which the Wii version of CoD would sell 20 million, no matter if the wii was "cultivated properly by third parties" or not.

thuway

Cause, basicly no one, aside from the hardcore Nintendo fan, wants to play this games on the Wii. There is no alternate universe in which the Wii version of CoD would sell 20 million, no matter if the wii was "cultivated properly by third parties" or not.

Truth. People are acting as if the Wii U will come out and suddenly make the PS3/360 obsolete. We will be lucky if we see superior ports (which we aren't), and by the time any muscle is flexed, Durango and Orbis will be on the chopping blocks.

You can say the same for the 360 and Ps3.

But you intentionally sandbagged the argument.

COD: was an after thought on the Wii. No promotion but still did really good.
Now with the WiiU activision has smartly made it a launch game.

Xenoblade is first party.
And not fully supported as their mainline games.
But I bet it did better than Sony and their big budget Killzone.
In relation to the budget/sales ratio.
Same goes for Zelda (which has been declining in sales for awhile)
Which I attribute to fans growing older not playing with consoles anymore.
New Wii owners do not know the original appeal to Zelda, metroid, etc.
Which means Nintendo has to grow the fanbase again.

As far as I know Goldeneye did good numbers.
But again, its a remake, it came late in the game.

oh man, these posts are great :)

New consoles are supposed to be disruptive, they are supposed to upheave the established order and convince people that a new wave has started and it's time to jump on board. I think that is the problem with Wii U in the surface. It's not really doing that, it's kind of shifting in slyly to an established market and asking "me too?" But that isn't going to convince PS360 owners to jump on board. I'm not sure who they are really asking to jump on board with this one and Consumers will be confused I think, like thy were when 3DS launched.

What is going to happen if third party multiplat sales really are terrible on WiiU? Developers have hardly got the best history of patience on Nintendo platforms, whether it's fair or not

Edit: I dunno why im even posting this. The thread is going way off topic. Continue on

onQ123

The PPE is PowerPC based not x86, meaning you have to do full emulation, and unless they can figure out a way to split the emulation of the PPE into more than one thread you're going to be stuck using only one core for that. And you're probably going to run into the same problem with the SPUs. It's not necessarily impossible, but it's way more work than emulation of most systems would be, and backwards compatibility doesn't really seem to be much of a priority for Sony lately.

ever heard of Rosetta Stone?

MDX

Which CoD sold 20 million on which console?

Another thing is you don't need to sell 20 million on the Wii to be considered successfully.

Lets look at cultivation:
CoD 3 on the 360 sold about the same as the Wii version
3 CoD Wii titles are in the top 20 in terms of sales.

If Activision did for the Wii as they are doing for the WiiU
CoD sales on the Wii could have increased

There is a big enough audience for CoD on the Nintendo platforms
Why would you want to not have those fans play a certain game on their console?

MDX

oh man, these posts are great :)

Thanks!

Goldeneye sales on the Wii 1.7 mil
Great numbers if break even is 500k or less:

Nintendo UK rep Rob Saunders told MCV: "The sales of GoldenEye show that these titles can and do perform well on Wii," adding, "The idea that Wii owners are only after smaller mini-game compilations or first-rty titles isn't true."

Wii is also criticised for being a harsh environment for third parties, who've over the years struggled to compete with Nintendo's own titles that routinely dominate software sales on the console.

But Saunders that's also down to the quality of the game and support from its publisher. "A good quality title, supported well by both publisher and retail, has just as much chance of performing well as any Nintendo title," he said.

He said that when sales were around 150k at launch.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Sales are declining?

Units per Million...
2006---

2007---

2008---

2009---

2010---

2011---

Where you got this numbers from? I've see several numbers that say otherwise. Also, MS clearly stated in their last report that they have shipped less consoles now than two years ago, so your number don't really make sense.

MDX

Truth. People are acting as if the Wii U will come out and suddenly make the PS3/360 obsolete. We will be lucky if we see superior ports (which we aren't), and by the time any muscle is flexed, Durango and Orbis will be on the chopping blocks.

I don't get it,
You mean Durango and Orbis will get served?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Where you got this numbers from? I've see several numbers that say otherwise. Also, MS clearly stated in their last report that they have shipped less consoles now than two years ago, so your number don't really make sense.

1 - Wikipedia's sales numbers.
2 - Cool. Then post them.
3 - Shipped is not Sold. They may have shipped less but they still sold more units. You still sell consoles but you don't have the stockpiles you needed earlier in the cycle.

AzaK

AMD? :|

About the 8 or 16GB, remember that devkits usually have better specs than the system itself. That is normal.

If the final system comes with 4GB of RAM I'll be happy.

Probably the best I would expect too. They need to keep the cost down as much as possible and trim where they can, not to mention that console's typically don't need the RAM of a desktop system.

With 4GB they could reserve 1GB for their OS and give 3 to games, which I imagine would be pretty damned nice, especially seeing as we're unlikely to see much higher resolutions (if at all) and therefore don't "need" the bigger, higher res textures.

3GB would be more than 6x the 360's usable game RAM for goodness sake.

New consoles are supposed to be disruptive, they are supposed to upheave the established order and convince people that a new wave has started and it's time to jump on board. I think that is the problem with Wii U in the surface. It's not really doing that, it's kind of shifting in slyly to an established market and asking "me too?" But that isn't going to convince PS360 owners to jump on board. I'm not sure who they are really asking to jump on board with this one and Consumers will be confused I think, like thy were when 3DS launched.

What is going to happen if third party multiplat sales really are terrible on WiiU? Developers have hardly got the best history of patience on Nintendo platforms, whether it's fair or not

Edit: I dunno why im even posting this. The thread is going way off topic. Continue on

I don't think Nintendo are trying to get the PS3/360 crowd, even though they'd like them. They are trying to keep their fans buying software on their console as opposed to jumping ship to another platform for their multiplats.

I would also argue that WIi U is as disruptive as any console (And probably moreso, other than Wii). MS did great with online, Sony with DVD playback in the console, but for the most part a lot of platform holders focus on "more powa". Nintendo at least tries to innovate and do something you can't do elsewhere. If we think about it, apart from exclusives, there's not much a PS3 or 360 can do that a PC can't. Whereas by default you really weren't going to get a Wii experience (And won't get a Wii U one either) on a PC.

Anyway, sorry for continuing off topic.

I think the larger problem is that the prices have stayed pretty stagnant, whereas at this point last generation EVERY console was $99 or $150 for their main models

Taurus

By your logic, Wii was Gamecube/PS2 with a new controller saying "me too"? Wii had a new kind of controller which allowed Nintendo to sell amounts of software almost never seen before (single games that is, Mario Kart Wii etc.)

Wii U also has a new kind of controller that allows to bring new kind of games and ideas to table. Whether 3rd parties will pass the party again remains to be seen, but Nintendo will almost 100% certainly be succesful with Wii U both financially and commercially.

What is going to happen if third party multiplat sales really are terrible on WiiU?
See: Wii. 1st party success, lots of 3rd parties leaving money on the table and going out of business or finding success on other platforms.

AmFreak

Which CoD sold 20 million on which console?

I was talking about PS3 + 360 together. But there is also no scenario where CoD would have sold 10 million on Wii.

Another thing is you don't need to sell 20 million on the Wii to be considered successfully.

True, you also don't need 20 million to be succesfull anywhere else.

Lets look at cultivation:
CoD 3 on the 360 sold about the same as the Wii version
3 CoD Wii titles are in the top 20 in terms of sales.

What i need are sources ...

There is a big enough audience for CoD on the Nintendo platforms
Why would you want to not have those fans play a certain game on their console?

I don't want anything, i'm just saying how it is.

Thanks!

Goldeneye sales on the Wii 1.7 mil
Great numbers if break even is 500k or less:

Nintendo UK rep Rob Saunders told MCV: "The sales of GoldenEye show that these titles can and do perform well on Wii," adding, "The idea that Wii owners are only after smaller mini-game compilations or first-rty titles isn't true."

Wii is also criticised for being a harsh environment for third parties, who've over the years struggled to compete with Nintendo's own titles that routinely dominate software sales on the console.

But Saunders that's also down to the quality of the game and support from its publisher. "A good quality title, supported well by both publisher and retail, has just as much chance of performing well as any Nintendo title," he said.

He said that when sales were around 150k at launch.

Where does he state the 500k, 150k and especially the 1.7m number?
I hope you don't have the number from that one site, cause there they have it at 1.7m.

onQ123

if the PS4/Xbox Next actually use the whole APU for Computing this could be really big for AMD because right now no one is making code with APU's in mind because it's not the standard, but if these consoles can show everyone what can be down when the APU is used to it's full potential as a single processor replacing a CPU, devs will start to take advantage of it & that could give AMD a big edge over Intel.

Spinluck

but it's risky for Sony to allow Wii U on the market for the extra year... definitely a toss up, but considering Sony's money situation

I don't see why many people think this.

The Wii U will be relying on PS3/360 ports for a bit until Nintendo really get rolling with first party, and will be competing with current gen consoles until Sony and Microsoft release their respective consoles.

Sony and Microsoft will be profiting off every single unit sold, and have quite a few games coming out well into next year. There are some multiplatform games that are gonna be out for PS3/360/PC that aren't even announced for Wii U yet.

Sony will be fine waiting, cause it won't be too long till the PS3 and 360 are both $100 cheaper than the Wii U. I don't think Sony and MS will be in that much of a hole if they wait. There plenty of Sony and MS loyalist who won't mind sitting out to wait for their new console to release. Plus software will be strong on both platforms yet again next year.

RaijinFY

Any such platform would be easily emulate-able on a machine that is as powerful as that speculation describes.

PSM and even Vita, I imagine, could be done on the rest of the hardware without the ARM/PowerVR SoC.

I do agree, sure.

And to weigh the idea with a bit more balance, the idea of an 'always in standby' mode might support the need for low-power mode...

But are APUs not also designed to do this already (in laptops etc?)

I can see though, also, the argument that a separate CPU would be desirable for this if the CPU in the system is already 'small'. But separate memory and GPU too, in a system that's being described as having an abundance of those particular resources?

I don't know. The whole picture being painted there seems fantastically, incredibly, 'full-fat'. When I would be expecting something slightly more economically semi-skimmed :)

Vita silicon:

newpicture3p1i1l.jpg

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20121018203506_AMD_Already_Tests_Next_Gen_Low_Power_Kabini_Chip.html said:
“We already have working silicon for many of our new 2013 products in house, including our next-generation 28nm Kabini APU, which is the successor to our highly successful Brazos platform and our first true SoC design. We are making good progress with the bring up of Kabini, which remains on track to launch in the first half of next year,” said Rory Read, chief executive officer of AMD, during a conference call with financial analysts.

It is noteworthy that while AMD specifically stated that it is on track with Kabini, it did not say a word about higher-performance solutions, namely Kaveri, which will utilize Steamroller x86 cores on which the company pins a lot of hopes.

My guess is Kabini is more likely to be the base design that is customized for the PS4. That it's ready now while Kaveri is not means AMD thinks it has either more market or R&D on it needed to be done for next generation consoles and as a result it's ready while Kaveri is not.

"first true SoC design" is supposed to be the full HSA 2014 design which fits with the "new memory controller". "integrated input/output capabilities" beyond USB3 and "New-generation graphics adaptor"; could that be Wireless video (see AMD HSA features below; "Nearest Available screen") ?

AMD Kabini will feature up to four x86 cores based on Jaguar micro-architecture, new-generation graphics adapter as well as a number of improvements related to heterogeneous processing and system architecture. Most importantly, Kabini will also integrated input/output capabilities in addition to a new memory controller, which will greatly simplify designs of netbooks, ultra-thin notebooks and other low-power devices. Kabini will be made using 28nm process technology.

In order to significantly improve performance of Jaguar-based APUs over the Bobcat-powered chips, AMD decided to go into virtually all logical directions: increase the amount of cores, boost clock-speed, add support for modern instructions, increase amount of executed instructions per clock (IPC). AMD also decided to improve power efficiency through clock gating and unit redesign in a bid to ensure lower idle power consumption compared to existing low-power designs. Jaguar features SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AES, PCLMUL, AVX, BMI, F16C as well as MOVBE. Jaguar also introduces 128-bit floating point unit (FPU) with enhancements and double-pumping to support 256-bit AVX instructions as well as an innovative integer unit with new hardware divider, larger schedulers and more out-of-order resources. AMD implemented a new CC6 state with even deeper energy economy, with each core able to go there independently.

hsavision.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Kabini definitely sounds likely if they're aiming for 2014. I see it supports Jaguar which has been rumored for a while. Do we have any GPU info on Kabini. I'm on my phone and wasn't able to quickly parse any.

Kabini definitely sounds likely if they're aiming for 2014 2013. I see it supports Jaguar which has been rumored for a while. Do we have any GPU info on Kabini. I'm on my phone and wasn't able to quickly parse any.
Remember Kabini would be the base design with a faster clock for memory and CPU than in a tablet. It also can support a bigger GPU up to the TDP limits for the package which can be custom also. Since it has low power jaguar cores there is more TDP room for the GPU.

No mention of a PCIe port but the "integrated input/output capabilities" would take care of everything up to a second GPU chip.

In any case we are probably trying to fit the PS4 into a off the shelf AMD APU and Game Console Volumes can justify customization so that the final SoC may not be recognizable. Some of the Kabini (28nm gate first bulk process) features fit with what I expect but none of the Kavari (28nm bulk process gate first) or A10 (32nm SOI gate first) fit what I expect.

IF TSMC is to be able to also produce PS4 or Xbox 720 SoCs then it needs to be 20nm (gate last bulk process). That would also be 40% more efficient and a designed for tablet SoC might be able to handle Console bandwidth needs at 20nm. Kabini @ 28nm first half of 2013 and the PS4 if based on that design could be 20nm the last half of 2013, if not then why the delay?

thuway

Remember Kabini would be the base design with a faster clock for memory and CPU than in a tablet. It also can support a bigger GPU up to the TDP limits for the package which can be custom also. Since it has low power jaguar cores there is more TDP room for the GPU.

No mention of a PCIe port but the "integrated input/output capabilities" would take care of everything up to a second GPU chip.

Why would they choose Kabini instead of the much more powerful Kaveri? What would the performance benefits be?

Why would they choose Kabini instead of the much more powerful Kaveri? What would the performance benefits be?
1) Kaveri is not ready
2) More work has gone into the Jaguar CPU because AMD recognizes that handhelds and embedded are the future.
3) The new memory controller is likely a ultra-wide (512 bit) for DDR4 or LP-DDR3. Clocked slower but 512 bit wide it's more efficient and saves battery power. Use the same new memory controller in a Game console but clock it faster. Trinity (A10) is memory bandwidth starved, Kaveri is I think still using standard desktop DDR3 memory SIMMs and would also be memory starved.
4) First SoC means 2014 design and 3rd party IP can be included.

The Kaveri is a more powerful single thread design but it is NOT necessarily a more powerful HSA design.

Running Android APPS on a AMD PC

http://blogs.amd.com/fusion/2012/09/27/announcing-amd-appzone-player-powered-by-bluestacks/ said:
You may have seen the announcement of AMD AppZone and our work with BlueStacks, an AMD Ventures-backed company, to bring Android apps to AMD-based PCs. We are extremely excited about the collaboration and the new AMD AppZone Player that is powered by BlueStacks’ award winning LayerCake technology. Their technology makes it possible to run native Android apps on a Windows® -based PC.

Why would you want to run Android apps on your PC? For starters, the Android app ecosystem is huge, boasting more than 500,000 apps. And, increasingly consumers have a mix of platforms across their devices, for example an Android phone and a Windows based PC. Maybe you like the Android version of the app better than the alternatives or maybe there isn’t an alternative available at all.

Are you trying to tell us that you think the PS4 will be running Windows?
AMD is also going to support a Linux kernel with windows. Their market is going to be handheld and embedded. While Windows 8 will have 125 platforms in 2013, 2014 should see set-top boxes and Smart TVs as well as the PS4 all running some flavor of Linux. Remember that LG and Samsung are members of the HSA foundation and Sony should announce sometime around when they officially disclose the PS4.

Bluestacks for Mac

http://bluestacks.com/privacy/ said:
Bluestacks Products can enable you to play applications developed by third parties, individually and collectively referred to as “Third Party Apps” on a Device, such as an Android app on a Device running either the Microsoft Windows, Apple OS X or Linux operating systems.

z0m3le

Banned
AMD is also going to support a Linux kernel with windows. Their market is going to be handheld and embedded. While Windows 8 will have 125 platforms in 2013, 2014 should see set-top boxes and Smart TVs as well as the PS4 all running some flavor of Linux. Remember that LG and Samsung are members of the HSA foundation and Sony should announce sometime around when they officially disclose the PS4.

Bluestacks for Mac

Bluestacks for Linux is rumored.

Rumored for linux, PS4 rumored to have linux?, PS4 to have AMD's app intergration, PS4 to play android apps... There are a few leaps you have to make here, that is all I'm saying, and even once that is done, how do you play an android app with a dual shock controller? It makes sense with windows 8 thanks to all the touch based devices running it, but it sounds very niche for PS4 users.

If it was going to happen, it would happen on Vita first.

Rumored for linux, PS4 rumored to have linux?, PS4 to have AMD's app intergration, PS4 to play android apps... There are a few leaps you have to make here, that is all I'm saying, and even once that is done, how do you play an android app with a dual shock controller? it makes sense with windows 8 thanks to all the touch based devices running it.

If the chip supports it on-die (which is what AMD is pushing, not just simply that it only works on certain platforms) so there is no real leap here... Sony has a platform that relies on ARM games (Playstation mobile on Vita and their phones) so a chip that easily handles it via hardware for 100% compatibility would be a good thing. PS4 doesn't have to use linux to use that ;)

As for android and dual shock, not all android games are designed to be used only on a touch screen. The whole point of the playstation mobile platform (as I understood it) was to be able to have access to things like hardware controls.

Rumored for linux, PS4 rumored to have linux?, PS4 to have AMD's app intergration, PS4 to play android apps... There are a few leaps you have to make here, that is all I'm saying, and even once that is done, how do you play an android app with a dual shock controller? it makes sense with windows 8 thanks to all the touch based devices running it.
PS4 rumored to have other OS Linux support and at PS4 release a firmware update to the PS3 will enable Other OS Linux support.

There are multi-touch mouse pads on wireless keyboards, the 16 gig Flash in the AMD SoCs allows for fast booting of and should allow switching of the OS.

There is a rumor that an Android touchscreen tablet may be an accessory for the PS4 and a future TV by Sony will feature touchscreen and be designed to work with the PS4.

PS4 Rumors : Multitasking while gaming , android based OS …. More

- one of the selling points of ps4 is that it will include a small detachable hardware that doubles as an android device with 3g connection , this device will carry ps4 games and psn titles on the road , the screen size will be as big as the one in iphone4. the point of this move is to launch PS4 with a future model of Sony bravia that support multi-touch screen and some PS4 titles will be touch only.

Remember the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint speculated that Sony would have Google TV (Android based) and the above post has this: "- the OS of PS4 might be a specially designed version of Android OS and it will support voice orders and voice typing for messages." Android as an OS is too limited but the 16 gig flash in the APU would allow very fast booting of an Android OS or more likely something like Bluestacks on Linux under which Google TV could run. Buy the APP for the PS4 (From Sony) and get two versions, one for the PS4 and a duplicate for a Android platform. Run the app on the handheld and fling it at the PS4 and it instantly starts running, fling a picture or video too. (Sony needs a way to get you to buy the Android APP from them not the Google store, this is one way.)

The AMD APUs also support wireless video with instant switching of playback to any device.

"this device will carry ps4 games and psn titles on the road" which is similar to the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint feature in serving Xbox 720 games to handhelds (Cloud like).

z0m3le, I like your posts but there has been a lot uncovered in the last 6 months....So much so that I created a thread so they wouldn't be lost: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473780

onQ123

Rumored for linux, PS4 rumored to have linux?, PS4 to have AMD's app intergration, PS4 to play android apps... There are a few leaps you have to make here, that is all I'm saying, and even once that is done, how do you play an android app with a dual shock controller? It makes sense with windows 8 thanks to all the touch based devices running it, but it sounds very niche for PS4 users.

If it was going to happen, it would happen on Vita first.

What make you think that the PS4 will only use a DS Controller?

jaypah

What make you think that the PS4 will only use a DS Controller?

Even without taking into account the possibility of using a Vita for a touch screen or an android phone/tablet or Sony having a "screen controller", couldn't any touch related application be handled by the next PS Move?

Even without taking into account the possibility of using a Vita for a touch screen or an android phone/tablet or Sony having a "screen controller", couldn't any touch related application be handled by the next PS Move?
Or a second generation (high resolution) depth camera.

With 4GB they could reserve 1GB for their OS and give 3 to games, which I imagine would be pretty damned nice, especially seeing as we're unlikely to see much higher resolutions (if at all) and therefore don't "need" the bigger, higher res textures.

Since the xbox720 is not supposed to be running Windows 8 in the background, they could reserve just 64MB for Os (which is already twice of what the xbox360 currently uses), and thus having 3.936 BGB for games, which would be much better than having only 3GB.

Since the xbox720 is not supposed to be running Windows 8 in the background, they could reserve just 64MB for Os (which is already twice of what the xbox360 currently uses), and thus having 3.936 BGB for games, which would be much better than having only 3GB.
But 64MB wouldn't leave much room for new OS functionalities, multitasking and other future improvements. The amount of RAM that's best suited largely depends on the GPU Durango will have since it's all about having a nicely balanced system without bottlenecks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

if the WiiU is reserving 1GB, I'd expect similar from the other platforms, as wasteful as it seems.

I think Sony has shown through the vita that they learned their lesson about OS footprint. But will they learn their lesson regarding memory allocated for software use?

The ongoing skyrim fiasco worries me when I hear people say PS4 will only have 2GB.

Top Bottom