• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does / Did anyone else play Gravity Rush exclusively while standing? I played one session lying in bed and it seems like using the right stick for aiming controls sorta misses the point. I plan to play the rest of the game as immersively as possible, AKA swinging my body and Vita around as necessary.
I did. Especiallt when doing those cgallenges

PSY・S;45295629 said:
MGS1SCREEN.jpg

One day...

MGS1 works on the vita.

Edit: Good game recommendation: Buy Call of Duty Declassified.

Noi

Derrick is right. If you play games for the story, Japanese action games should be the last place you look. Almost all of them are light on story with a heavy focus on the combat, to the point where it's often an afterthought.

Of course, I'm talking straight up ACTION GAMES. Not Action/Adventure or whatever, which usually focus on more than just the combat.

now now... I've been toying around with blazblue on the psp to see if I should get it for ps3/vita and it controls great
as long as you choose stylish :p

Lies, the Vita pad is 300% better than the PSP's cross and nub. That and the PSP versions of BlazBlue are bad outside of story mode, don't let yourself be fooled. >:O

YOU ARE BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD.

Ninja Gaiden 1 is still the pinnacle of action games. NG2 and NG3 don't even touch it. Hell, other action games don't.

Though NG1S+ is just a bad port all around. Go play Black.

Than I'm glad the genre moved towards a more GOW-like structure. It's better for me, NG just feels like a bad game with decent combat system and harder than necessary difficulty.

It's not only about the story, the arenas, the levels, the character designs, the "puzzles", the boring backtracking, shitty ninpo, etc. Everything feels below average.

Alright then looks like I am buying ZHP tomorrow. Who knows when it will be back at that price. I have way too much to play right now though, and Persona 4 is waiting under the tree as well. I need more time. Lol.

Is SFA3M actually good though?

Yep. World Tour mode is great.

Everyone is talking about buying Rayman Origins, cause it's super duper cheap.

So I assume it's this one:

Plus discounts
Jetpack Joyride – 50% off
topatoi: The Great Tree Story – 10% off
topatoi – 10% off
4 Elements HD – 10% off
Rayman Origins – 10% off
Breath of Fire 3 – 50% off
Capcom Classics Reloaded – 50% off
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed Essentials – 50% off
Capcom Puzzle World – 50% off
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X – 50% off
Monster Hunter Freedom Essentials – 50% off
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 Essentials – 50% off
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite – 50% off
Power Stone Collection – 50% off
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max – 50% off

The bold are pretty awesome too.

Nice! I think i'm in for Maverick Hunter X, BoF3, and maybe Power Stone Collection and MHFU

Onemic

If you think SFxT is a better pad game than UMvC3, you're certifiably insane. That is all.

Blazblue/MK/UMvC3 are all factually easier to play because they don't use 6 attack button layout where you're required to awkwardly map buttons to L/R. ;)
6 button fighters without a stick have sucked on a pad since the Super Nintendo.

SFxT is good on Vita... but those 6 buttons man, it's just a drag. It's a game of "which two buttons do you use the least, map the other four to the face buttons and hope it works". Good for portable play and killing time. Horrible for competition.

You dont have to worry about super jumps, IAD's and dash cancels, which I know will be a helluva a lot harder to deal with than Fierce and Roundhouse being mapped to L/R. Especially so for a game like marvel where you're utilizing those near 100% of the time during a match. Blazblue would definitely be slightly easier, but SFxT would definitely be the easiest. L/R are always whatever for me, my problems always come down to the movement, which is why I generally can't play on pad and use a stick.

Besides Marvels assists are mapped to L/R and Blazblue is a 5 button fighter.

Than I'm glad the genre moved towards a more GOW-like structure. It's better for me, NG just feels like a bad game with decent combat system and harder than necessary difficulty.

Agreed, though I wouldn't call it a "bad" game, it just demands more than I was ever able to deliver.

Still haven't finished NG1 despite getting close.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It's not only about the story, the arenas, the levels, the character designs, the "puzzles", the boring backtracking, shitty ninpo, etc. Everything feels below average.

GoW is straight up trash. I'd understand if you said DMC since at least that requires more than button mashing to get through. But God of War? Seriously?

The beauty of NG is having to dodge a bunch of enemies while comboing in and out with XYXXY's and then chaining UT's. God of War has nothing like that.

And you're playing action games for the combat. You aren't playing them for the story. DOIN' IT 'RONG and all that.

@One: Keep Marvel. It takes a bit of adjusting but you aren't supposed to play it like a pro here. You're supposed to mash buttons and just watch things happen. :p

Oshimai

Then I'm not sure why you're playing japanese action games. While I admit I haven't played every single one ever made I have played all of the DMCs and Bayonetta and some of the Ninja Gaiden's and they're all abortions in the story and writing department. They very clearly put all of their work into the combat system which is fine for some people but like you I also need a story that at the very least is up to a 9th grade writing standard.

I understand what you're saying.

I don't discriminate Japanese, Korean, European or other Western games; I expect games (with the exception of puzzle, sports, etc. as stated above) regardless of where it is made and who made them to have an engaging story. but don't get me wrong, I'm not telling devs what games they should make. indeed I approach and select most games the same way for books; I want a story or message to take away from the game, that's what is the most fun for me games.

I've never played DMC or Bayonetta so thanks for your insight.

Uraizen

Banned
You dont have to worry about super jumps, IAD's and dash cancels, which I know will be a helluva a lot harder to deal with than Fierce and Roundhouse being mapped to L/R. Especially so for a game like marvel where you're utilizing those near 100% of the time during a match. Blazblue would definitely be slightly easier, but SFxT would definitely be the easiest. L/R are always whatever for me, my problems always come down to the movement, which is why I generally can't play on pad and use a stick.

Are you counting the taunt button? lol

Derrick01

Banned

I agree. God of War was at least fun and interesting to keep up with until 3. As basic as the story was it was fun going after the gods and other famous monsters. Same with Castlevania Lords of Shadow, really enjoyed that outside of Patrick Stewart's pre-chapter ramblings. 2's one of my most wanted games next year.

Noi

A, B, C, D and what?

I agree. God of War was at least fun and interesting to keep up with until 3. As basic as the story was it was fun going after the gods and other famous monsters. Same with Castlevania Lords of Shadow, really enjoyed that outside of Patrick Stewart's pre-chapter ramblings. 2's one of my most wanted games next year.

It always amazes me how people can play games and come off with a complete opposite opinion of it. I thought Lords of Shadow was one of the worst games I've played this year. (I know it didn't come out this year, but this is when I played it. :V)

Not sure I agree about the genre moving towards GoW though. I love God of War, but action/adventure games can co-exist with straight up action games just fine.

What I'd give for a Castlevania Lords of Shadow spin-off on the Vita!

zroid

Banned

I have nothing against the GoW games -- like them quite a bit -- but goddamn I want to punch this post in the lip :mad:

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Man I hate this post.

satori

I admit I am clueless when it comes to the business side of things such as gaming, movies, music etc. But is there a reason why the different region gets different games released? I'm assuming it's all legal crap that prevents a Japanese released psn game from being included in all region. Just silly to me that us, euro, etc don't have the same content especially if it's a Sony title.

Just seems unnecessarily fragmented.

Derrick01

Banned
I understand what you're saying.

I don't discriminate Japanese, Korean, European or other Western games; I expect games (with the exception of puzzle, sports, etc. as stated above) regardless of where it is made and who made them to have an engaging story. but don't get me wrong, I'm not telling devs what games they should make. indeed I approach and select most games the same way for books; I want a story or message to take away from the game, that's what is the most fun for me games.

I've never played DMC or Bayonetta so thanks for your insight.

If you're into the combat systems in these games then you'll probably like them, fans of the genre swear by them as the best available. I personally don't care much about them since to me they come off as fighting games disguised as action games (and as I mentioned in this thread I haaate fighting games). The complex combo systems instantly turn me off. But I'm just telling you how poorly done their stories are and I only mentioned japanese because all of the DMCs, Ninja Gaidens and Bayonetta are all japanese made.

It always amazes me how people can play games and come off with a complete opposite opinion of it. I thought Lords of Shadow was one of the worst games I've played this year. (I know it didn't come out this year, but this is when I played it. :V)

Not sure I agree about the genre moving towards GoW though. I love God of War, but action/adventure games can co-exist with straight up action games just fine.

I dunno I thought it was solid with a pretty satisfying ending and a decent combat system that was somewhere between the simple god of wars and the uber complex japanese games.

What I'd give for a Castlevania Lords of Shadow spin-off on the Vita!

Maybe. The first game ran horrible enough on ps3 so if they'd be ok with just throwing something out there on Vita with no regards for a stable framerate then I'm not sure I want it. I'd welcome a Igavania or even something like the 3DS game though.

zulux21

Lies, the Vita pad is 300% better than the PSP's cross and nub. That and the PSP versions of BlazBlue are bad outside of story mode, don't let yourself be fooled. >:O

I never said it played better than the vita version just that it controls fine when being played in stylish mode which you can use in every mode not just story mode o_O;

people have different tastes... heck I would be more excited if a new itadaki street dragon quest x final fantasy special was announced for the vita then I would be if god of war, infamous, metal gear solid, and a proper version of call of duty were announced combined.

Iacobellis

Great, my Vita has been getting the Blue Light ever since I started playing Persona on Friday. Whenever I leave it running and put my Vita to sleep, BAM, have to force restart it.

I can't be the only one with this issue, right?

Noi

I admit I am clueless when it comes to the business side of things such as gaming, movies, music etc. But is there a reason why the different region gets different games released? I'm assuming it's all legal crap that prevents a Japanese released psn game from being included in all region. Just silly to me that us, euro, etc don't have the same content especially if it's a Sony title.

Just seems unnecessarily fragmented.

All business. It might be easier to get the rights for one region than it is for another. Consider, for instance, that PS1 games weren't created with digital distribution in mind. It's not as simple as just dumping a ROM online, cause it involves re-licensing whatever rights needed (including VA work, which that alone can be a big hurdle), and sometimes it's just not cost effective to do so. Also, some Devs/Pubs like Atlus simply don't have EU offices, so it's up to another company to work things out.

I'm still grumpy about the massive PS1 classic selection in the Japanese store compared to the NA/EU ones, but I understand.

Noi

I dunno I thought it was solid with a pretty satisfying ending and a decent combat system that was somewhere between the simple god of wars and the uber complex japanese games.

I'm not done with the game, but I'm not really enjoying it for the same reason that's it's trying to be too many things at once. Admittedly it has better combat than the POS that was Dante's Inferno, but the almost "wants to be a movie" quality to it rubs me the wrong way. I still find it offensive that half of the HUB elements that actually make the game look like a game are hidden away under the EXTRAS menu, which I wouldn't have found unless pointed out cause I'd expect that stuff to be in options.

There's other stuff about the game that bugs me, but this ain't the thread for that. I was just mussing on how two people can have very different opinions on the same game. :)

people have different tastes... heck I would be more excited if a new itadaki street dragon quest x final fantasy special was announced for the vita then I would be if god of war, infamous, metal gear solid, and a proper version of call of duty were announced combined.

I wasn't arguing otherwise, haha. Read the last paragraph above, I was just musing on stuff.

If you think SFxT is a better pad game than UMvC3, you're certifiably insane. That is all.

Blazblue/MK/UMvC3 are all factually easier to play because they don't use 6 attack button layout where you're required to awkwardly map buttons to L/R. ;)
6 button fighters without a stick have sucked on a pad since the Super Nintendo.

SFxT is good on Vita... but those 6 buttons man, it's just a drag. It's a game of "which two buttons do you use the least, map the other four to the face buttons and hope it works". Good for portable play and killing time. Horrible for competition.

I want to hug you or pointing this out. Now I remember why SFIV was fun, but felt awkward to play. Maybe I'll pick up a fighter when the next BlazBlue comes out.

While I don't agree with your post, I don't agree with the post you quoted either.
Pinnacle of action games resides with DMC. DMC3/DMC4 are both acceptable answers. Bayonetta is also and acceptible answer.
NG games are great, so are God of War.

These comments are from someone who is casual to intermediate at fighters. I am not a "PRO" and I don't plan on ever competing in a major tournament. With that said:

Only snapbacks require the use of shoulder buttons coupled with d-pad motions.
Super jumps are pretty easy if you flip to the analog from the pad and back quick.
I don't do a lot of IAD or dash cancels, that's not an issue.

But when I have to re-arrange the buttons and pick a button I think I'll use the least to put on the left shoulder? That game is automatically worse to play.
Again, SFxT is still fun, a very competent port. But I cannot, and a lot of other people I know who aren't dedicated to fighters, play at a high level on this device with this button layout.
I've tried everything from mapping buttons to the touch screen to rearranging buttons to get a good mix on the shoulders and strategically choose the worst button for L... but it all gets screwed up.
The Vita does better with 4-5 button fighters than with six, due to the unnatural feeling of trying to motion on the pad or analog and press the left shoulder at the right timing.

Maybe. The first game ran horrible enough on ps3 so if they'd be ok with just throwing something out there on Vita with no regards for a stable framerate then I'm not sure I want it. I'd welcome a Igavania or even something like the 3DS game though.

I'm one of those that doesn't notice/care about the frame rate issues. 98% of the time I generally don't even see it in games.

I'd still take any Castlevania: LoS entry they could throw at me lol

While I don't agree with your post, I don't agree with the post you quoted either.
Pinnacle of action games resides with DMC. DMC3/DMC4 are both acceptable answers. Bayonetta is also and acceptible answer.

Sure, those were fun. NG is just bland as a whole videogame. I can totally understand why some people love the combat, but everything else besides the combat is subpar.

I enjoyed the challenges of NGS2 way more than the actual story mode since that sticked to the actual good part of the game.

Noi

Dissidia 3 for Vita to coincide with Square Enix's teaser site please.

Lol, Paul Gale.

Next Week:

If any 3rd party announces a game - See, we told you someone was going to show something!

If no one does so - Well, it turns out that the third party dev chose not to reveal the game this week. Sorry guys!

It happens every time.

Derrick01

Banned
Just got Virtue's last reward for just under $6 thanks to a combination of a very nice Amazon customer service rep and about $14 in credit I already had :)

I hope that's not our free game for PS+ this month or I'll throw something.

zulux21

Just got Virtue's last reward for just under $6 thanks to a combination of a very nice Amazon customer service rep and about $14 in credit I already had :)

I hope that's not our free game for PS+ this month or I'll throw something.
I would rank the odds of VLR being the free game this month about the same as the odds Square enix will announce that FFvs13 will release worldwide in spring 2013 in the next 24 hours.

Yanksfan

I was expecting an action adventure game.

to elaborate further on my initial comment. there was nothing about the game that I wanted to go back to do. with other games for example Wipeout, I always want to go back and unlock something new. With Uncharted and Gravity Daze, I always wanted to find out what happened next in the story. with PSASBR I want to unlock the next belt.

it's not just the lack of narrative but, compared to other games, there wasn't an engaging hook for me to finish the game/finish the game multiple times.

For fans of the action genre, good combat is the best reason to replay a game, especially one of NG's magnitude. That is the draw for people that enjoy the game, much like the reasons you listed for ones you enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom