• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

bndadm

Hey everyone,

I've discovered an old set of mine, missing one piece on the hood, but I just spent 6 hours building it on Sunday before the Packer game and realized...I hate it. I hate the build, I don't care for the set at all, so...

I was wondering if anyone on here would want it? I don't want to bother trying to sell it as it is missing one piece and the instruction manual, while complete, had a few pages come loose during my build yesterday (the binding was not very well done).

The set in question is #8653, Enzo Ferrari 1:10. Part of the Racer series.
What's Missing: Box, piece 4277113 Left 3D Panel (on hood).

I don't have any clever games for the board to play, so I suppose anyone who wants it, just send me a PM and the first one I receive will get it.

*Enzo has now been claimed. I'm sorry I only had one to give away.

Think I am gonna order the A Wing now that is in stock on Amazon.
3AQmK.gif

neonglow

Hey everyone,

I've discovered an old set of mine, missing one piece on the hood, but I just spent 6 hours building it on Sunday before the Packer game and realized...I hate it. I hate the build, I don't care for the set at all, so...

I was wondering if anyone on here would want it? I don't want to bother trying to sell it as it is missing one piece and the instruction manual, while complete, had a few pages come loose during my build yesterday (the binding was not very well done).

I don't have any clever games for the board to play, so I suppose anyone who wants it, just send me a PM and the first one I receive will get it.

PM sent!

R-User!

$400 for the first tier. Six more tiers after that. Please.

400>350>300>250>200>150>150

! $1800$ !

That's all it would cost!

The last 150 is special because only buyers tracked through the Lego S@H site who have purchased all six tiers prior can buy it!

It would of course be the top of Minas Tirith, but it would come with 25 "Main Characters" that are attending the crowning of the king ceremony! With all unique Minifigs with all new printing where needed! Including the flaming steward of Gondor!
Runs.... Yeaaaaaaahahhhhhhhhh!

The Crown of Elessar in all it's minifig scale glory! ;_;

Saying that one could resist this would be sheer folly!

Hey everyone,

I hope you're not in the UK as otherwise I would have PM'ed you too.

Congrats, nice set.

400>350>300>250>200>150>150

! $1800$ !

That's all it would cost!

The last 150 is special because only buyers tracked through the Lego S@H site who have purchased all six tiers prior can buy it!

It would of course be the top of Minas Tirith, but it would come with 25 "Main Characters" that are attending the crowning of the king ceremony! With all unique Minifigs with all new printing where needed! Including the flaming steward of Gondor!
Runs.... Yeaaaaaaahahhhhhhhhh!

The Crown of Elessar in all it's minifig scale glory! ;_;

Saying that one could resist this would be sheer folly!

No. The final set would be the tower with the beacon on it.
1286292717-lotr_minastirith.jpg

I would rearrange furniture to find a permanent display spot if they ever made a set for Minas Tirith. It would be the UCS to end all UCS. It would put the Millenium Falcon to shame.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The eagle creator set is only £9.99 o the uk lego store, nice impulse buy (and perhaps a MOC contest option?)

Red rotors twin rotor helicopter is nice too for the same price.

I'd forgotten about my free pick a brick box from Black Friday, so I need to go to my local store by March - which means I'll try and make it for AFOL day to get extra discount

Also built most of my half of tower bridge, now waiting on my son to build his sections so I can finish off the tops of the towers.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
No. The final set would be the tower with the beacon on it.
1286292717-lotr_minastirith.jpg

I would rearrange furniture to find a permanent display spot if they ever made a set for Minas Tirith. It would be the UCS to end all UCS. It would put the Millenium Falcon to shame.

Technically that's not the beacon tower. The beacon was on the mountain right behind Minas Tirith. When Pippen is climbing it you can see that courtyard tower in the background. I also still have that model of Minas Tirith. Best DVD extra ever (second being the Argonath from Fellowship's DVD release).

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, why did I go into the LEGO store yesterday!?!? I ended up buying the 3 new Batman sets... Arkham Asylum, Tumbler/Bat chase, and the Bat boat thing with Mr. Freeze. I still have yet to pick up the 3 Spider-Man sets, but I'll get those next month. I think I'm only going to collect the Superhero stuff from now on.

Ugh, why did I go into the LEGO store yesterday!?!? I ended up buying the 3 new Batman sets... Arkham Asylum, Tumbler/Bat chase, and the Bat boat thing with Mr. Freeze. I still have yet to pick up the 3 Spider-Man sets, but I'll get those next month. I think I'm only going to collect the Superhero stuff from now on.

I told myself to narrow it down even more by JUST collecting the DC line from now on but... ugh nevermind, it never turns out how you want it to

But the super hero lines go so well with modulars and city. Might as well pick those up too! And the heroes need some villains to fight, so might as well grab some evil space dudes from the galaxy line while you're at it.

Technically that's not the beacon tower. The beacon was on the mountain right behind Minas Tirith. When Pippen is climbing it you can see that courtyard tower in the background. I also still have that model of Minas Tirith. Best DVD extra ever (second being the Argonath from Fellowship's DVD release).
You are right. And I had that same model but cannot find it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You are right. And I had that same model but cannot find it.

I got the gift editions of all 3 EE films. I still have the Argonath statues and Minas Tirith displayed. I can honestly not remember what I did with the Gollum statue from TT, think i gave it to a friend (never really cared for it).

enewtabie

Working through some of the large backlog of Legos I have going back months. This Galaxy Squad theme is very cool. Can't wait to get some more of these sets.
2C97BCFB-531B-4130-BE89-6D779F2AED24-10599-00000B2D829EC1CD.jpg

Got a shelf put up to finally be able to move some of my sets off of the window ledge.

It's made me think about breaking down the SSD. As great as it is I could use the parts and it's been on display since March or so. I would then also have the fun of building it again at some point in the future.

The shelf would then be able to hold the B-Wing, R2 and the Imperial Shuttle.

Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: Man, that SSD has an ugly underbelly..... Decision made!

beje

Banned
Wow, I just had a blast from the past. I started googling stuff and came accross my first Lego set and probably the one I liked the most:

w5wu1.jpg

It is from 1991, which means I got it for my 5th birthday or christmas that year and I remember being able to completely put it together all by myself. I really didn't remember it with so many details but it's definitely that one because I'll never forget that "C-12" sign in the main boat or the rest of the stickers.

If I got it when I was 5, making some quick mental work that means I was already assembling complicated Technic sets for kids 10+ at age 7 so probably at that point either me or my parents decided Lego was too easy for me and made the switch to K'nex and Mecanno because they also had a much bigger MOC potential as pieces were less specialized and allowed to build much bigger stuff.

Ok well, I thoroughly enjoyed building the Ghost Train, although I will likely dismantle it shortly.

I was left with 2 extra wheel pieces that the instructions say not to use during the step to put on the larger wheels, but they never came up again. Anyone know what these were for? It's the piece with the red X over it.

gerg

LegoGAF, I have come to repent for my sins: Today, while going through the loft space at home, I came across a lone wing of a... Star Destroyer, sitting slightly curved under the weight of the things on top of it.

I got the set second-hand a good few years ago. It was missing the Rebel ship then, but lord knows it must be incomplete and battered now.

Forgive me!

In all fairness, I moved room at one point and that thing pretty much breaks on eye contact.

Edit: Looking the model up on Amazon the prices for it are eye-watering!

Ok well, I thoroughly enjoyed building the Ghost Train, although I will likely dismantle it shortly.

I was left with 2 extra wheel pieces that the instructions say not to use during the step to put on the larger wheels, but they never came up again. Anyone know what these were for? It's the piece with the red X over it.

Just an extra piece...might be useful for an alternate model though!

enewtabie

Debating on starting Jabbas Palace and Rancor Pit. But finished the small Clone set. I have the AT walker to go to next and then all of the LOTR stuff..I did try to find the A wing this weekend and nothing. So I'm gonna order from Lego. Are they pretty quick?
A3CD9E4C-55DF-4206-B09D-11B39A08D01B-10599-00000B34C98B913C.jpg

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Indulged myself today with a trip to the local LEGO store before tomorrow's return to work...

photo_5.jpg

The Aquaman/Mr Freeze set is ok - nothing spectacular, but actually not bad for three unique figs and a £20/$20 price tag. The discs the Batski fires out are much better than flick-missiles, mind.

But the DKR set is better than I had hoped. I remember lots of jaded views on this when the pics got out, but the build is great, The Bat has the swooshability we all need, and surprisingly the li'l Tumbler is a compact, sturdy build. It's just that tan colouring - so bland. I plan to build a black MOC/mod of my own to match it. So a good buy at £40/$40 and with three unique figs. Nice to have a LEGO Gary Oldman :)

The thing that I've noticed in these sets is the prevalence of this piece:
http://en.bricker.ru/images/parts/98138.jpg

I like it, but clearly the designers at LEGO do too. On Bricker.ru you can see it has been in lots of 2012 sets (many I don't own hence why its use is so prominent today).

wetwired

I'm getting both just for the minifigs the "bat" itself doesn't look too bad sans the stickers and blue colours. I just always get annoyed with the batman line, the star wars stuff is always super accurate and looks great whereas batman stuff always gets dumbed down for kids.

Mr Mike

I'm getting both just for the minifigs the "bat" itself doesn't look too bad sans the stickers and blue colours. I just always get annoyed with the batman line, the star wars stuff is always super accurate and looks great whereas batman stuff always gets dumbed down for kids.

I think some of that stuff is for the build. The Bat would definitely look better with all black pieces - and efforts like your Tumbler look much closer to the real thing than the tan lump you get in 76001 - but in the instructions it would be hard to follow for some. The PDFs of instructions for the old Batman line are virtually unreadable given the way the black is printed.

And there must be some weird DC/Warner Bros stylebook rule that merch includes colours like yellow and blue as well as black (maybe to maintain their trademarks and such).

(On that point - why it always seem like there is always an Arctic Batman somewhere along the line for Batman merch? I saw one for the Dark Knight Rises action figures, even, and remember there being one or two Batman TAS ones back in the day.)

Mr Mike

Oh, I forgot, I also got this today:

31004a.jpg

It is excellent. At just £9.99 with just about as many pieces at the Batman Mr Freeze set (and three great builds which I have tested today) I cannot recommend it enough.

Also, my kid (two and a half years old) loves it.

neonglow

Oh, I forgot, I also got this today:

31004a.jpg

It is excellent. At just £9.99 with just about as many pieces at the Batman Mr Freeze set (and three great builds which I have tested today) I cannot recommend it enough.

Also, my kid (two and a half years old) loves it.

Lego will be releasing a tiny polybag version too.

30185-1.jpg

Some of you may recall that last February I discovered some of my old LEGO sets and built them. This was the first time I'd touched LEGO in decades.

The first set I built from my childhood was this:

I closed my post with the phrase "...and I'm hooked again".

This was meant as a joke. A JOKE.

Lego Gaf you are the worst. First it was the minifigs. Why start out with series 6 when you can probably find series 5-8?

As long as we're spending a ridiculous amount of money on children's toys, why not finish up with series 2 - 4?

For now...for now we're going to pretend that series 1 doesn't exist.

So that's nice right? A good chance to spend some money on children's toys and bond with the kids right? It's not like we need to buy any full sets this year right?

Nope.

Damn you, Lego GAF. Ghostmind, Flix, Bone, PizaTheHut...and all the rest of you...you've ruined me. The plans I have for 2013 are offensively LEGO-driven. I'm married to a divorce lawyer and I fear she's getting ready to bring her work home with her.

Happy New Year folks...2013 stands a good chance of ruining me.

I know it's not as accurate as wetwired's Tumbler and everyone seems down on it, but I really do like the LEGO Tumbler. My only wish is that it was black instead of tan, but I guess that in itself is movie accurate...

I only see two modulars, and no Haunted House nor any UCS Star Wars sets there. You still have work to do!

Yeah... Modulars. Damn it, I still have not built a 1000+ element set yet. I'm always distracted by the smaller, vehicle based, sets. I'm going to try to curb my desire for these mall sets and start buying Modulars. GE is first on the list.

Yeah... Modulars. Damn it, I still have not built a 1000+ element set yet. I'm always distracted by the smaller, vehicle based, sets. I'm going to try to curb my desire for these mall sets and start buying Modulars. GE is first on the list.

It't a toss up if Grand Emporium or Fire Brigade will be the first to go. If you can, get them both. Grand Emporium has the best looking exterior of them all, but Fire Brigade's second floor has the best interior of them all.

And I also noticed that PalaceBrother has some Friends sets. Good. More people need to give that line a chance, as it is a lot of fun.

Forgot to post my photos of the A-wing from just before Christmas. It's a decent little set. A little over priced at $25, but that's the Star Wars tax at work. Please excuse the rap iPhone 4 quality photos.

The main flaw for me us that cockpit isn't deep enough. I'd rather it be deep like the X-wing.

It't a toss up if Grand Emporium or Fire Brigade will be the first to go. If you can, get them both. Grand Emporium has the best looking exterior of them all, but Fire Brigade's second floor has the best interior of them all.

Picked up the FB last summer. My goal with the Modulars is build them in a few years when my daughter is old enough to help me.

ghostmind

Now we need a new System B-wing to complete the picture, since the UCS model is a bit large to fit to scale. Don't think we'll see one until 2014 at the earliest though...

Since I had a nice three day break from retail hell, and FedEx cant do their jobs and deliver my SSD to me until the 2nd, it was MOCing time! Some of these pics I posted before, but I figured why not get them all in one spot to show off the newest addition of my own line of modular buildings: The Estate House

Excuse the poor lighting. Those are windows on the front, I assure you.

Scale reference to the town house part of Pet Shop

First floor. Dining room table, with a hot pie waiting. I also found a use for the grandfather clock from the ghost poly bag set at Halloween.

Newspaper, maps, and upside down diplomas hanging on the wall!

Why, it's the kitchen area. Glass doored cabinets and an island sink.

By the window, the rich folks show off their gold vase and rare rocks.

Closer look at the dining room table.

The door under the stairs. It is not complete in this pic, but it will be in another.

Boxes stored in the closet under the stairs.

The completed staircase.

Completed first floor. After I took this pic, I changed the back door to a glass door. Mainly because I wanted a solid colored door for the second floor.

The Second Floor

Bathroom at the end of the hall.

An overhead view of the bedrooms and home office.

The computer desk. I lacked a tile piece to show a monitor, but at least had a keyboard.

Bookcase in the home office. I like making bookcases, as they are incredibly simple, but have lots of implied detail with using so few pieces.

Master bedroom. King sized bed and two end tables.

Chest of drawers in master bedroom.

Smaller bedroom, completed with mirrored vanity.

Chest of drawers in secondary bedroom.

The Attic

What horrors and mysteries reside in the attic of this rich estate?

OH, GOD! Dead bodies! Bones! Spiders! Rats! Surf boards! Aliens! Buzzsaws! Monkeys!

The locking mechanism for the attic ladder. Pull it and it drops down to the floor below. I shamelessly stole this idea from Haunted House. But with a more crude lock than they had due to the house construction.

The extended attic ladder. This was the only way to get a pic, but it does swing down into the hallway on the second floor.

Felt VERY good to get another MOC out of my system. I was running out of storage space (and am now out of display space. CRUEL WORLD!), so I needed to do something. This was probably my most efficient modular MOC yet as far as using the right pieces and building details as I went. I think building all four in print modulars in a row reinforced some good techniques as well as ideas from Haunted House.

Top Bottom