• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Phon, that is awesome. I LOVE the hand rail on the staircase. Also, the attic rocks.

Hand rail construction shamelessly stolen from Pet Shop. Look at the pic of the town house half closer. So simple, yet so effective. That is the thing I love about getting sets in such a wide variety: you learn many valuable and neat building techniques. But the modulars have been the greatest teacher by far.

Excellent MOC! Where were most of the pieces sourced from? TB?

Many SNOT pieces and windows were from Diagon Alley. I can thank my wife and her hitting a PAB wall in Chicago while visiting her parents for the sheer volume of 1x8 white beams to make the walls. Think she got like 150 or so of them for me. I told her just get stuff she thought I could use, and she delivered!

I am still using parts from Tower Bridge in things (the gift that keeps on giving), especially the tan cheese slopes. Think I still have a few hundred left. White tiles are from Farnsworth House. It is hard to see in pics, but every other white 1x2 tile on the brick texture is the slightly translucent white from Diagon Alley. It is subtle, but you can notice it under good lighting in person. Sheer volume of white jumper plates are from White House. I would have had the entire top row of roof slopes black but I ran out. I had originally made the roof slopes dark blue (Diagon Alley and Apple Tree House are great for those), but it just looked off.

Kitchen items and the mirror are from Friends sets. Some of the bedroom ideas were taken from them as well. There are a lot of neat micro build ideas to be found in the Friends line.

Doors were from many different sets, but I had to swap out solid doors for glass ones in other MOCs to get solid ones for the bedroom doors on this one. Doors are not easy to come by.

woodypop

Forgot to post my photos of the A-wing from just before Christmas. It's a decent little set. A little over priced at $25, but that's the Star Wars tax at work. Please excuse the rap iPhone 4 quality photos.

4A2BBDCF-2C91-452C-8ADA-1493BFACB720-57763-000027F519AC189A.jpg

I love the pilot's expression. He must have been the one to crash into the SSD's command bridge in the Battle Over Endor!

Since I had a nice three day break from retail hell, and FedEx cant do their jobs and deliver my SSD to me until the 2nd, it was MOCing time! Some of these pics I posted before, but I figured why not get them all in one spot to show off the newest addition of my own line of modular buildings: The Estate House

The Second Floor

Bathroom at the end of the hall.
Heh, liking that bathroom!

Heh, liking that bathroom!

Thank you. I looked to see if I had pieces to replicate the toilet from Pet Shop, but decided to make my own design when I couldnt find the parts necessary. It is a very simple construction. The toilet itself is only 12 pieces. The floor has a jumper plate to center it.

That is amazing. Love the attic.

Only minor issue is the master bed posts look like plungers. It could be the lighting and because the toilet made me think of toilet items.

Fantomex

The CHIMA set has so many missing parts it's stupid. Like 6 or 7. I'm at the point where we were lucky to have some laying around but i'ts just so frustrating. I'm thinking of calling lego, but then again all their gonna do is send me the parts which I'll then have to reinsert into the vehicle after taking it apart again.

why-god-why1.jpg

It took all my will power to resist buying the Hobbit set ... it was just 9.99 the one with Gollum and Bilbo in the cave with the One Ring.

I really want to just stick to Star Wars ... those alone already put a hurt on my after Holiday wallet.

I spent the last 4 hours modding Helm's Deep to add a modular section that encloses the keep and connects it to the Uruk hai Army wall section. And then i dropped it. I salvaged most of it but it's still not right.

That MOC estate... so awesome ;)

Honestly i think especially the interiors top the Lego Modulars in certain parts, i LOVE how you did the bookshelves, and keyboard etc so many things really!

That MOC estate... so awesome ;)

Honestly i think especially the interiors top the Lego Modulars in certain parts, i LOVE how you did the bookshelves, and keyboard etc so many things really!

Keyboard is a printed brick from other sets. Bookcase is stoopid easy to make too. Each "shelf" should be two bricks high. The second brick on one (or both if you choose) side should have a stud on the side. The bottom of the shelf should be a studless tile. Then you just stack however many different colored 1x2 plates you want, and top it with a 1x2 tile and then attach it to the side stud. You can see it a bit better in the Corner Bookstore MOC I made a few months ago.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else confused with how LEGO presented Chima? I had a few thoughts that I'd like to bounce off you guys.

1. Certain sets and Speedorz are overpriced in terms of content.
    The Speedorz are the greatest offender of this. $15 for a figure with cards and some boulders or a tiny fire loop is inexcusable, especially when compared to the awesome $10 Ninjago packs with high quality spinners.

Even if you wanted to get the $20 Starter Set or $30 Ultimate Tournament (the figures will be in individual Speedorz sets in the summer), Crawley's Claw Ripper and Wakz' Pack Tracker are such better values at equivalent prices and give you better play value (the Pack Tracker's mouth chomps as you roll it!).

In fact, Crawley's Claw Ripper is a much better value than any Speedorz set altogether; you get two minifigures with a Chi piece and an awesome vehicle for the same price. It's much better than a wimpy platform and some tiny crows.

Still going to shell out for King Crominus though. The Chima crocs are the definite highlights of the series.

The larger sets are also at awkward prices in comparison to the content. Here's a breakdown of the sets and their appropriate status:
    70000 Razcal's Glider (109 pieces) - $11.99 (The impulse buy)
    70001 Crawley's Claw Ripper (139 pieces) - $14.99 (Overall best value)
    70002 Lennox' Lion Attack (230 pieces) - $24.99 (The feel-good purchase with a nice vehicle and Crug exclusivity)
    70003 Eris' Eagle Interceptor (348 pieces) - $34.99 (The reluctant hold-in-store-for-an-hour-and-internally-monologue-about-purchasing-or-waiting-for-a-Target-coupon set with no exclusive figures)
    • Both ravens are also included in the upcoming superior set Razar's Chi Raider (70012, 412 pieces, $39.99) that has a vastly superior vehicle and more content.
    70004 Wakz' Pack Tracker (297 pieces) - $29.99 (The beefy $30 payday purchase that should be a mandatory purchase with Crawley's Claw Ripper)
    70005 Laval's Royal Fighter (417 pieces) - $39.99 (The wallet-conscious cool big set with no exclusives)
    70006 Cragger's Command Ship (609 pieces) - $79.99 (The birthday/too-early-for-Christmas wallet grudge)

I noticed a lot of parents at TRU and Target were putting Speedorz and the other sets back on the shelves in favor of the Claw Ripper. The $10 spinner price point would definitely have benefitted Speedorz.

I feel that although the sets will be an easy sell to kids with awesome giant animal vehicles and colorful characters, adults will find it hard to justify paying LEGO license-esque prices for less content. AFOLs will certainly enjoy the pieces for MOCing, especially because of the "head helmets" (Killer Croc and Leatherhead, anyone?), but the true value of the sets clearly rests on the minifigures.

2. The main value in the sets are the minifigures.
    It's no secret that LEGO's quality minifigures are set-sellers, but with Chima it feels like the Speedorz gimmick and vehicles are sold as a bonus to the minifigures. The figures are all outstanding; with four creatures per tribe, LEGO achieved plenty of variety with colorful printing and a "head helmet" that allows you to alter the character's expression with double-sided heads. However, If there's anything I've learned from collecting the Series Minifigures and Ninjago spinners, it's to never purchase large sets because of one or two minifigures.

Maybe it's my draw toward the crocs and wolves, but many of the vehicles feel a bit lackluster in terms of what we've gotten in the past. I've already lavished the Claw Ripper and Pack Tracker with praise, but the other first wave vehicles don't quite measure up.

The Glider is a nice build with excellent MOC parts. The Command Ship is beefy and can actually float on water (thanks BrickShow!). The Eagle Interceptor is also nice, but the Creator Fierce Flyer eagle has my undivided adoration. The Lion Attack and Royal Fighter, however, don't fare as well. They both feel empty, almost unfinished, like Lennox and Laval just stuck a lion head at the helm of their vehicles like the Thousand Sunny from One Piece (except that's a coherent vehicle!). I'm not denying that the lion heads are cool, but it would have been nicer to actually have a bulky lion tank with a respectable mane instead of mounting a Speedorz lion head onto some Technic parts.

Looking ahead, the summer/fall sets definitely have better vehicles at great prices. Kids will definitely adore the vehicles, but I just don't see these being compared to the creative Fangpyre vehicles or the Ninjago Dragons. Which leads me to my final point.

3. Chima is clearly not a Ninjago replacement.
    When LEGO canceled the Ninjago line, they intended to send off the series with a "Final Battle" motif and dazzling gold pieces (especially that handsome Golden Dragon!). LEGO quickly realized through massive fan outpouring that it was shockingly ridiculous to end their greatest recent moneymaker and revealed they were uncanceling the Ninjago line with a 2014 cyborg-esque teaser poster. Even before Chima hit store shelves.

I'm sure Chima will be great and I will be watching the series this spring, but I can't attest to the longevity of the series. There are a few neat summer Chima sets, but they put so much effort into establishing Chima as a replacement that it almost demotes Chima to filler until Ninjago returns.

Just my two cents. Maybe the lukewarm feelings toward Chima that many are experiencing will change as the cartoon airs, but I've always been enamored with Ninjago from the get-go without seeing most of the show.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
God help me I'd do anything in order to afford a UCS Minas Tirith

Couldn't you do a MOC using about 10-15 helms deep sets and a ton of extra bricks for the mountain? I don't think it'd be difficult, just insanely expensive,

Has anyone tried a micro scale version?

Ok i need some SERIOUS advice on the current Millenium Falcon here, the situation is this:

I really spent WAY too much on Lego due my recent comeback into this hobby and would ONLY get this if it is a MUST have indeed at this point since i still want to get the R2 later on which i will have to shell another 150-200 out for ugh.

I obviously do not own a Falcon yet, and i like the look of this one... that said, if there is only a SLIM chance that we will see another UCS Falcon in the next 2-3 years OR another regular updated(better) version then i will pass on this one now.

I need to know this right now since i have just seen it in a local market for 110 Euro which (for EU at least) is a pretty good price.

So again, how is this version of the Falcon, is it really an absolute MUST HAVE or can i pass on it, and wait for a better version eventually?

NO! You Stop that!

Wh...why would you do this?!

Various reasons;

1) It's been on display a long time and I fancy a change
2) The shelf it has to now live on is above my monitors so I get the very poor view of it's underside.
3) I want to try to build a large star fighter and this has a good amount of parts

and, most importantly;

4) Out of sight; out of mind, if there's a good deal on the SSD when it's near OOP I can buy another one without the Wife giving me too much stress.

bedlamite

Since I had a nice three day break from retail hell, and FedEx cant do their jobs and deliver my SSD to me until the 2nd, it was MOCing time!
-pics of awesomeness-
Awesome work, do I see parts from the camper van and Diagon Alley?
Bakkuma371 said:
Started to dismantle the SSD last night....

It's quite traumatic.
That shelf looks a little high as a display platform for the SSD, if all I got was an eyeful of underbelly every time I looked up at it from my chair I'd also dismantle it, if not move it somewhere else, at the very least.

That shelf looks a little high as a display platform for the SSD, if all I got was an eyeful of underbelly every time I looked up at it from my chair I'd also dismantle it, if not move it somewhere else, at the very least.

I knew it would not be perfect but that's where the shelf has to go so I can reach to change the sets easily. I used to have the SSD on the window ledge which was about 4 feet off the floor so perfect for display but it's a bit large and I'm worried as the radiator is below the ledge.

I'll build it again at some point, as they say; absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I only see two modulars, and no Haunted House nor any UCS Star Wars sets there. You still have work to do!

Money goes to the savings, mortgage/bills & the kids first...then LEGO. Trust me, I've tried explaining to my wife how flawed this is to no avail.

I think I'm done with the SW Theme. The mark up is ridiculous and I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Money goes to the savings, mortgage/bills & the kids first...then LEGO. Trust me, I've tried explaining to my wife how flawed this is to no avail.

I think I'm done with the SW Theme. The mark up is ridiculous and I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

The answer here is to only buy Star Wars. That way it doesn't seem as expensive to other sets as you don't buy them!

ruxtpin

Banned
Awesome work Phon!

On an unrelated note - Anyone ever experience really long processing times with S@H? I reckon it's because of the holidays, but I ordered the Minecraft set and Medieval Market Village back on the 27th and it's still in processing.

cannot help myself going though the shops again, and they are selling the T-Rex set at 30€ (50% off)
thinking of getting it, and selling the t-rex on Bricklink in consequence only paying 15€ for the rest of the set?!
worth it? will I be likely to sell the T-Rex at 15€ (current price on Bricklink is 20+)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
cannot help myself going though the shops again, and they are selling the T-Rex set at 30€ (50% off)
thinking of getting it, and selling the t-rex on Bricklink in consequence only paying 15€ for the rest of the set?!
worth it? will I be likely to sell the T-Rex at 15€ (current price on Bricklink is 20+)

Where is it at 50% off?

I was at a local B&N and they had a bunch of old sets still. Pharaoh Quest, Atlantis, and a bunch of misc stuff I have never seen on shelves before like Prince of Persia.

I just thought it was interesting. If it had been on sale I may have considered some of them. The Atlantis sets have all sorts of crazy parts.

Awesome work Phon!

On an unrelated note - Anyone ever experience really long processing times with S@H? I reckon it's because of the holidays, but I ordered the Minecraft set and Medieval Market Village back on the 27th and it's still in processing.

I am experiencing this right now as a matter of fact, and that with my very FIRST order ever with them! Ordered the Vampyre castle on the 28th, and just like you, still "processing" ugh not sure what's up...

Also: anyone here own the current Millenium Falcon then? Yay or Nay on this version?

ruxtpin

Banned
I am experiencing this right now as a matter of fact, and that with my very FIRST order ever with them! Ordered the Vampyre castle on the 28th, and just like you, still "processing" ugh not sure what's up...

Also: anyone here own the current Millenium Falcon then? Yay or Nay on this version?

They're usually pretty quick. And it seems like some of my VIP points haven't registered either.

As for the Falcon, I have the new one. Aside from the stickers, I think it's a pretty good set. It looks good sitting out on display, but the inside is a little bit sparse. On the plus side tho, it gives you the chance to detail it out yourself (if one so desires).

Fowler

LEGO GAF, advice needed!

I got the Millenium Falcon for Christmas... but I already have it.

So I'm going to trade it in for another set, and I'm wondering what to get.

The sensible thing to do would be to put the money towards sets I was already going to buy -- like Arkham Asylum.

But I'm thinking about using it to get a set that I wouldn't otherwise have bought.

Thinking about these sets. What say you, LEGO GAF?

- Haunted House
- Helm's Deep
- R2-D2
- Death Star (it costs way more than the Falcon, I know, but it takes a big chunk out of the price)
- Tower Bridge

I don't have space for the SSD and it doesn't do it for me like the regular Star Destroyer, so I'm not considering that. Of the five... which would you guys pick?

Ugh! There are so many stickers in the TMNT Shellraiser Street Chase... =_=

LEGO GAF, advice needed!

- Haunted House
- Helm's Deep
- R2-D2
- Death Star (it costs way more than the Falcon, I know, but it takes a big chunk out of the price)
- Tower Bridge

I don't have space for the SSD and it doesn't do it for me like the regular Star Destroyer, so I'm not considering that. Of the five... which would you guys pick?

I'd go with Arkham Asylum or the Haunted House.

Ugh! There are so many stickers in the TMNT Shellraiser Street Chase... =_=

I'd go with Arkham Asylum or the Haunted House.

LEGO GAF, advice needed!

I got the Millenium Falcon for Christmas... but I already have it.

So I'm going to trade it in for another set, and I'm wondering what to get.

The sensible thing to do would be to put the money towards sets I was already going to buy -- like Arkham Asylum.

But I'm thinking about using it to get a set that I wouldn't otherwise have bought.

Thinking about these sets. What say you, LEGO GAF?

- Haunted House
- Helm's Deep
- R2-D2
- Tower Bridge

Death Star

They're usually pretty quick. And it seems like some of my VIP points haven't registered either.

As for the Falcon, I have the new one. Aside from the stickers, I think it's a pretty good set. It looks good sitting out on display, but the inside is a little bit sparse. On the plus side tho, it gives you the chance to detail it out yourself (if one so desires).

Right... i am reading out of this that you would not necessarily call this a MUST HAVE then right? Then again, if this is likely to be the only falcon for the next 5 years or whatever then i would consider it hmmm

ruxtpin

Banned
Right... i am reading out of this that you would not necessarily call this a MUST HAVE then right? Then again, if this is likely to be the only falcon for the next 5 years or whatever then i would consider it hmmm

Yeah. I don't think it's a must-have. I only bought it cause it was on sale. Looks great next to my other SW ships, but I'm a bigger fan of the 10XXX sets. R2-D2 is a must-have, the B-Wing, Fire Brigade, etc.

Awesome work Phon!

I placed an order on the 1st and it still says "Backordering". OK, so some new SW sets were in the order but so were some Power Functions so an update would be nice.

Here's hoping they are just a little slow.

I love OT SW and it's not a must have. X-Wing and TIE are must haves. This Falcon is just ok, was kinda disappointed but maybe my expectations were too high since my SW ships are X, TIE, and Slave 1, all of which are perfect.

Thanks for the feedback guys, i really feel more confident in skipping the Falcon now (despite the great price)...

There WILL be another similar one sometime down the road though, as that is literally the ONLY thing that would change my opinion?

Thanks for the feedback guys, i really feel more confident in skipping the Falcon now (despite the great price)...

There WILL be another similar one sometime down the road though, as that is literally the ONLY thing that would change my opinion?

Same reason I am skipping it as well. They seem to be releasing a MF every 3-4 years. If the next one after this is not a UCS, there will at least be a normal one that should be an improvement.

neonglow

The Falcon will get rereleased in 2-3 years. It'll probably look even better than the current one.

There's like 9 years left on the lego star wars contract. Everything major is gonna get at least one major rerelease/redesign. There's no way you hold the star wars license to make toys and choose not to release a millenium falcon for 5+ years.

also, considering how long the death star has been in print for I wouldn't be surprised if they just kept it in print for the duration of that contract and just made it at a really low volume. It's not like there's much room to improve on that set..... Or this is just wishful thinking because the set needs to last 1 1/2 to 2 more years before I can realistically get one.

Top Bottom