• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Sine Mora is beautiful. Such a pretty game.

Shame it has such poor mechanics. The difficulty is all over the map and it is so slow to get going. Plus the way the cut-scenes are handled robs me of that wonderful 'flow' feeling that I get out of good shooters. As soon as I feel like I'm getting into the zone I have to stop and wait for the game to wait for me to read a wall of ponderous, melodramatic text. What the hell was grasshopper thinking?

Still...so pretty. I need to screw around with arcade mode. Hopefully that minimizes the bad design decisions.

This is why I quit and deleted. As pretty as it was, that's all I was playing for. Didn't like the flow/gameplay at all and finally just said "that's enough".

ctrl+v has always worked for me, in fact I just did it with Dark Souls the other day.

Ugh. Doh. They still should have let the right-click method work for tards like me.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
As is par for the course with Steam sales, after spending a fair amount of money on new stuff and lamenting something else I would have bought if the sale had repeated (Far Cry 3 in this case), I spent my gaming time yesterday ignoring my Steam account and instead played the Saturn game Legend of Oasis.

I think the time of year I spend the least amount of time on Steam is right after I've bought a bunch of stuff. :D

feel

Wow. From Amazon DVG Deals aka Tony on CAG.

To sum it up, Amazon just got these 8 games from MS, ALL of them activate on Steam, and all will be in a promo soon:
Age of Empires III Complete Collection
Fable III
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Mark of the Ninja
DEADLIGHT
Iron Brigade
Toy Soldiers
Bring on the dirt cheap Deadlight!

edit-

Now that I have a good gaming PC, seeing Valve being all excited about their console-ish hardware instead of focusing on developing awesome new games is such a bummer.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs told me that Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is a baller Metroidvania.

I trust him because he holds a PHD in Metroidvania Studies.

nexen

Nabs told me that Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is a baller Metroidvania.

I trust him because he holds a PHD in Metroidvania Studies.

I found Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet very tedious, personally. I really want to love it but I can't play it for long before I'm falling asleep.

I wish someone could manage to pry out Microsoft's older catalog of games and get them up on digital distribution. The old Age games, Freelancer, Rise of Nations and so many other classics.

1-D_FTW

edit-

Now that I have a good gaming PC, seeing Valve being all excited about their console-ish hardware instead of focusing on developing awesome new games is such a bummer.

Huh? You sell hardware with software. I suspect Source 2 is going to be pretty killer on that front.

Not that I'm expecting anything exclusive. Cause that would be insane. But I do expect them to use Valve titles that exploit it (controller and content creation abilities).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

edit-

They're capable of doing more than one thing at a time.

And the thing they're putting a lot of effort behind (hardware and standardization) will make every game better, not just their own.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But playing games is fun. I guess owning them is more fun

I'll concede that playing games can have its own merits. :p

I wish someone could manage to pry out Microsoft's older catalog of games and get them up on digital distribution. The old Age games, Freelancer, Rise of Nations and so many other classics.

I'd do anything for a Win7-compatible Age of Empires Gold. I developed a sudden urge to play Rise of Rome a month or so ago but was saddened to find out that such a feat is seemingly impossible -- the only thing I haven't tried is running it within a virtualised instance of WinXP.

dani_dc

Wow. From Amazon DVG Deals aka Tony on CAG.

To sum it up, Amazon just got these 8 games from MS, ALL of them activate on Steam, and all will be in a promo soon:
Age of Empires III Complete Collection
Fable III
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Mark of the Ninja
DEADLIGHT
Iron Brigade
Toy Soldiers

All right, finally might see some good discounts on Microsoft titles.
Only own Mark of the Ninja out of that list, I'm interested in quite a few others, and my girlfriend was wanting Age of Empires III.

1-D_FTW

Not to mention the company hasn't had an original idea since 1998's Half-Life.

Nah. I thought it was they haven't actually developed anything since 1998? Scumbags. Publishing the hard work of others under their own studio name.

Glass Rebel

Valve is just a company that stifles creativeness, so much is rather apparent from Quantum Conundrum which smokes the Portal series in every department. I can't wait for the next game by Kim Swift and Airtight.

JaseC

Nah. I thought it was they haven't actually developed anything since 1998? Scumbags. Publishing the hard work of others under their own studio name.
I mean what are those people even working on for the last 10 years? They just hire mod teams and students to make all their games!

I played through Narbacular Drop the other day and was not surprised to discover it's exactly the same game as Portal.

Valve is just a company that stifles creativeness, so much is rather apparent from Quantum Conundrum which smokes the Portal series in every department. I can't wait for the next game by Kim Swift and Airtight.

On a more serious note, I wonder if Swift will crawl go back to Valve if/when Airtight exhausts its final resources of hope (DD and, as a last resort, casual gaming).

cicero

I really hope they show up on GOG where they belong.

feel

Meh, until I read a piece of news from Valve that properly talks about new games and Source 2 and not hardware I don't need at all, I reserve the right to stay bummed out about it lol.

morningbus

Meh, until I read a piece of news from Valve that properly talks about new games and Source 2 and not hardware I don't need at all, I reserve the right to stay bummed out about it lol.

I mean, I already know the field goal moving that will take place when I say it, so let me preface this by saying your disinterest in something does not disqualify it from being a game they are working on: Dota 2.

Glass Rebel

On a more serious note, I wonder if Swift will crawl go back to Valve if/when Airtight exhausts its final resources of hope (DD and, as a last resort, casual gaming).

Is Airtight still independent? Maybe they can work on the sequel to Dark Void!
That 2D Dark Void not made by Airtight is actually fun

nexen

Is Airtight still independent? Maybe they can work on the sequel to Dark Void!
That 2D Dark Void not made by Airtight is actually fun

Maybe they could just finish Dark Void. It seemed like it would've been a good game had they done so.

HoosTrax

That Nvidia Shield thing kind of inspired me to try some remote game playing from a tablet, as I don't think I'll be upgrading my GPU until the 7-series gets released and I'm on a GTX570 right now.

Freaking Google...I'm trying to buy your tablet but your store is broken...

Anyways, I suspect that these will be the games that work out the best:
- any point-and-click adventure
- Civ V
- XCOM
- HoMM

(The tablet is also for doing some schoolwork from bed)

EDIT: Lol really? $12 tax? For shipping from Google to Virginia?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
In a perfect world we would have both Iron Brigade and Brutal Legend with proper achievement sets.
In a perfect world we would have both NOLFs on Steam.

Last night's posts made me want to replay those games.

Is this a Midtown Madness Steam-begging post? If so, I agree 100%.

JaseC

Droid Assault has released and is 20% off ($7.99) until the 17th.

In a perfect world we would have both NOLFs on Steam.

Last night's posts made me want to replay those games.

In a perfect world, Steam would expand its film selection beyond IGTM and the Dota 2 doco*, and Saoirse Ronan's filmography would be among the first releases.

* NYR.

morningbus

:(

I never asked for that! Just like how I never asked for Amazon to open a distribution center in VA.

The internet is changing. My home state of Massachusetts just passed a bill that'll have sales tax charged out on all internet purchases by the end of the year. People are going to look back at this time like how we look back at there being an Iceman and a Milkman - you know, people who specifically delivered Milk and Ice to your home on a schedule.

JaseC

I feel bad for joking now. They were apparently working on something since at least 2011, I wonder what happened to that. Cancelled? Moved to next-gen? Downsized and DD like I Am Alive? Who knows...

It was probably Pixld! :p

Glass Rebel

It was probably Pixld! :p

nXPuI.png

ugh!

morningbus

Doesn't Lucasarts, now Disney, have a trademark on the word 'Droid'? Is it time for popcorn?

I think if properly challenged, the trademark wouldn't hold up. It's just "android" with "an" removed. They describe basically interchangeable creatures.

However, this tiny indie game will not be the company to challenge Disney.

You're going to have to slow down with this stuff.

So he should take back what he said? Perhaps revisit his statements with a newly gained perspective or cognitive power-up?

Metroidvania is in your DNA Nabs, damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom