• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

J-Tier

Like when it was a "BOMBA" those stats only took into account the physical disk sales and didn't even consider how close to the holidays the release was. I'm pretty sure a significant amount of those sold during December were holiday gifts.

Also, I'm going to say that the majority of sales were digital, even pre-Holiday. (This is based on my own observations and may not be fact).

Like when it was a "BOMBA" those stats only took into account the physical disk sales and didn't even consider how close to the holidays the release was. I'm pretty sure a significant amount of those sold during December were holiday gifts.

Also, I'm going to say that the majority of sales were digital, even pre-Holiday. (This is based on my own observations and may not be fact).
I would be inclined to agree...I saw the game on PSN for $40 and was ready to purchase but my wife already bought it for me on Amazon and I caught it in the "shipping" phase.

I would love to have this on my HDD though, for PS4...Really great pick-up-and-play title.

I used to play pretty heavy SF4/VF5 too peeps, once I come to grips with the system you guys better watch out!

sn00zer

Hey is there a list of all of the easter eggs in the game?
Saw the NICE SHOT! a few days ago and Warhawk that rarely appears in Time Station any others?

KalBalboa

Banned
Been homing my Jak skills a bit lately. Go 2nd place three games in a row, but still haven't won more than two or three games overall since launch as Jak.

I'm feeling him more and more, though. His mobility and clever use of his level 1 are key.

OmegaZero

Apparently Heihachi can get 120 AP off of his up throw if you set it up right.
He's pretty awesome so far. Shame his combos are so short.

Aceun

Been homing my Jak skills a bit lately. Go 2nd place three games in a row, but still haven't won more than two or three games overall since launch as Jak.

I'm feeling him more and more, though. His mobility and clever use of his level 1 are key.

Don't sleep on his level 2. Jak is all about making good use of his space, so if you can corner an opponent it's nearly impossible to roll out of it. As for his level 1, take advantage of walls and platforms. Jak is deadly on stages like Time Station, Sandover, and Stowaways. Also, watch people's dodge roll patterns, as you can easily punish with a level 1.

Obviously his level 3 is a good fall back if you have limited options.

I think of Jak as the opportunist archetype in all-stars. He has something for every situation (a Jak of all trades if you will ^_^). Without the adequate AP gain though, he's no master in any situation so you just have to use your wits and outsmart your opponents.

Camjo-Z

After (too many!) hours of playing, I'm starting to notice the lack of balance in this game. It wasn't as obvious when the game was first coming out and everyone was learning the characters, but now that pretty much all the tricks have been discovered I think I've come up with a pretty definitive tier list. I don't want to get into a ton of specifics in the sake of keeping this post somewhat short, but there are two characters in particular that I want to talk about because I'm so familiar with them: Sir Dan and Sly Cooper.

(These observations are all based on 2v2 matches, since I feel that FFA matches are often too random to reliably see how characters perform)

Sir Dan, to me, feels like a character that was not given as much time or thought as others. He's got a balanced moveset, and his shield is a boon against projectile users (especially when combined with the green hand glitch), but none of that matters when his supers are so flat out awful. His Level 1 has no real setup aside from the up slash + ice arrow trick, which any decent player will get out of - therefore he's almost entirely dependent on reads which fail more often than not and require and extreme amount of skill. His Level 2 is one of the easiest supers to dodge in the game, thanks to their poor homing capabilities and tendency to disappear when they hit a floor/wall. And finally, his Level 3 takes ages to kill someone, is terrible on larger stages, allows people to scatter, and requires him to make a mad dash to get people in it - why does he have to work so hard to get kills with it when characters like Drake are given two free kills at the start of the Level 3?

Sly Cooper, on the other hand, is given so many ways to kick your ass that I have to imagine he was one of the development team's favorites. At first, invisibility in exchange for block/dodge seems like a fair tradeoff, until you realize that his spammable counter and teleport replace them. In addition to these, he's given the ability to steal AP just by attacking you from behind, a guard breaker that's easy to land on wakeup, and an electric ball attack that is almost completely safe thanks to the bounce back. And as if this weren't enough, his Level 1 is not only fast and almost impossible to hit him out of, but HE CAN DO IT FROM INVISIBILITY. His Level 2 was thankfully nerfed since the beta to the point of near uselessness, and his Level 3 is pretty balanced, but when he's got such a ridiculously easy to land Level 1, you don't even need to use them.

I'd like to know what you guys think about the balance in the game. Are there any characters you think are particularly overpowered or underpowered, and why?

Pachimari

I just got this game today, would you guys mind adding me?

PSN: Anastacio

I'll probably main Jak & Daxter as he's my favorite PS icon besides Snake.

Aceun

I'd like to know what you guys think about the balance in the game. Are there any characters you think are particularly overpowered or underpowered, and why?

I think the main thing that is unbalanced are the supers. Moveset wise I think SuperBot really nailed it.

Unfortunately, it's hard to like a character's moveset when their supers are inefficient. My thoughts on the causes are the following discrepancies:

- level 1 hit confirms (Evil Cole, Sweet Tooth) vs little/no confirm (Sir Dan, Jak)
- highly situational supers (Big Daddy/Dan) vs low barrier of entry supers (Sly, Ratchet)
- inconsistent distribution of efficient supers (Raiden has several hit confirms, with easy supers, that can net him multiple kills at all levels vs. Spike who has a decent level 1, mid-tier situational level 2, and 3 max level 3)

Every character has at least one viable super. On top of that every character should have at least one super that is not as efficient as the others, but that is definitely not the case.

Spinluck

After (too many!) hours of playing, I'm starting to notice the lack of balance in this game. It wasn't as obvious when the game was first coming out and everyone was learning the characters, but now that pretty much all the tricks have been discovered I think I've come up with a pretty definitive tier list. I don't want to get into a ton of specifics in the sake of keeping this post somewhat short, but there are two characters in particular that I want to talk about because I'm so familiar with them: Sir Dan and Sly Cooper.

(These observations are all based on 2v2 matches, since I feel that FFA matches are often too random to reliably see how characters perform)

Sir Dan, to me, feels like a character that was not given as much time or thought as others. He's got a balanced moveset, and his shield is a boon against projectile users (especially when combined with the green hand glitch), but none of that matters when his supers are so flat out awful. His Level 1 has no real setup aside from the up slash + ice arrow trick, which any decent player will get out of - therefore he's almost entirely dependent on reads which fail more often than not and require and extreme amount of skill. His Level 2 is one of the easiest supers to dodge in the game, thanks to their poor homing capabilities and tendency to disappear when they hit a floor/wall. And finally, his Level 3 takes ages to kill someone, is terrible on larger stages, allows people to scatter, and requires him to make a mad dash to get people in it - why does he have to work so hard to get kills with it when characters like Drake are given two free kills at the start of the Level 3?

Sly Cooper, on the other hand, is given so many ways to kick your ass that I have to imagine he was one of the development team's favorites. At first, invisibility in exchange for block/dodge seems like a fair tradeoff, until you realize that his spammable counter and teleport replace them. In addition to these, he's given the ability to steal AP just by attacking you from behind, a guard breaker that's easy to land on wakeup, and an electric ball attack that is almost completely safe thanks to the bounce back. And as if this weren't enough, his Level 1 is not only fast and almost impossible to hit him out of, but HE CAN DO IT FROM INVISIBILITY. His Level 2 was thankfully nerfed since the beta to the point of near uselessness, and his Level 3 is pretty balanced, but when he's got such a ridiculously easy to land Level 1, you don't even need to use them.

Kratos is ridiculous, Sly and Drake are really broken, Raiden lol.

Why Sackboy was the only one nerfed? Idk. Maybe they're still working on the other characters. The freedom that this game has towards the characters movesets is awesome, but it's also a downside. As it makes it too easy to give a character way too much.

Why the hell are Drakes melee attacks so fast? Lol. The guy is barely punishable outside of like 2 moves. Kratos' counter should be more punishable, and the hit boxes for his level 2 are broken. Sly, he can't block, so let's enable him to do these ridiculous things! Raiden, hit confirms, hit confirms everywhere.

Fat P, Date, and Cole are probably the best designed characters imo. None of them OP but can seem godteir in the right hands. And each have their fair share of weaknesses. And usually players aren't rewarded when playing really shitty with them, or spamming broken attacks.

I cannot wait for a Drake nerf. Tired of paying for the mistakes of terrible players in FFA.

Camjo-Z

Why Sackboy was the only one nerfed? Idk. Maybe they're still working on the other characters. The freedom that this game has towards the characters movesets is awesome, but it's also a downside. As it makes it too easy to give a character way too much.

Sackboy's nerf is one of the most confusing things to me, because they didn't actually address the problem with him. His Level 3 is what was broken, since he got it so fast and it got 4+ kills every time guaranteed in addition to tons of AP/items and an easy kill for his partner in 2v2. But instead of toning down his Level 3 or making it require more AP, they made ALL of his supers take more AP and nerfed his cake and jam (making the jam essentially worthless.)

Since Sackboy's Level 1 and 2 are nothing special, this has basically turned him into an "all-or-nothing" character in ranked 2v2 - he either gets his Level 3 and wins the match, or he doesn't get it and scores one or two kills at most. IDK how he fares in FFA, but I'd guess not much better.

SmithnCo

At least they are looking at Drake, Kratos, and Raiden. But I think Sly needs to be looked at too. The fact that his counter hits you after projectiles is kinda ridiculous, and the move in general could be more punishable.

Pachimari

I just started this game up for the first time and wow this is a God-tier PlayStation game. So far I have only gone through Practice and Arcade with Jak & Daxter on the easiest difficulty unlocking stuff.

I love it!

This is a long-time dream come true and it's such a special feeling watching these icons duking it ouch against each other.

Even though Crash, Spyro, Snake, Lara and Cloud aren't there, we got icons like Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Nathan Drake, Dante, Nariko, Raiden, Spike, Sir Daniel, Heihachi, Fat Princess, Cole McCrath and such - I can't really complain much. I'm looking SO much forward to Kat from Gravity Rush though.

What other characters could we realistically get as DLC? I think Lightning and the new Lara Croft might be feasible but who else are there? Maybe Sonic?

J-Tier

I just started this game up for the first time and wow this is a God-tier PlayStation game. So far I have only gone through Practice and Arcade with Jak & Daxter on the easiest difficulty unlocking stuff.

I love it!

This is a long-time dream come true and it's such a special feeling watching these icons duking it ouch against each other.

Even though Crash, Spyro, Snake, Lara and Cloud aren't there, we got icons like Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Nathan Drake, Dante, Nariko, Raiden, Spike, Sir Daniel, Heihachi, Fat Princess, Cole McCrath and such - I can't really complain much. I'm looking SO much forward to Kat from Gravity Rush though.

What other characters could we realistically get as DLC? I think Lightning and the new Lara Croft might be feasible but who else are there? Maybe Sonic?

Lara probably won't happen as Crystal Dynamics (who is working on the newest iteration) have blatantly said no to any possibility of her getting in. Lightning...potentially.

Sonic is unlikely just because of his appearance in a "rival game", Sega wouldn't want to "betray" someone they've already had a deal with.

As for highly probable characters?

Mostly first parties...though Abe from Oddworld is highly probable.

Pachimari

Thanks.

I guess they could include a Resistance character which they probably will even many would think it's too much with another range shooting character. They should totally add the pet from EyePet and this is just me but I would love Mark Hammond from The Getaway as its one of my all time favorite games.

Anyway, I'm more interested in getting to know when we'll get the next patch. ^_^

Camjo-Z

I'd really like to see Robbit from Jumping Flash considered for DLC or a sequel, I think his high jumping abilities and wacky arsenal of fireworks would make for an interesting moveset.

J-Tier

I'd really like to see Robbit from Jumping Flash considered for DLC or a sequel, I think his high jumping abilities and wacky arsenal of fireworks would make for an interesting moveset.

Yes, I've been rooting for Robbit for quite awhile. He'd probably have a kick that has a hard knockback as well.

Just got this game today and have been learning all the combos for the characters to see which ones really stand out to me as something I'd be into. Kind of impressed with the combo system at this point since I have a strong background in fighting games in general.

Really don't care for the Heihachi dash (fast) uppercut combos. Doing these on a controller without using 2 fingers (changing grip) is kind of a pain. Doable, but a pain.

Skyzard

Banned
Just got this game today and have been learning all the combos for the characters to see which ones really stand out to me as something I'd be into. Kind of impressed with the combo system at this point since I have a strong background in fighting games in general.

Really don't care for the Heihachi dash (fast) uppercut combos. Doing these on a controller without using 2 fingers (changing grip) is kind of a pain. Doable, but a pain.

Yep, it's worse on vita with the tiny buttons so you really have to switch grips..I'm leaning towards picking a new character mainly due to that..otherwise a pretty fun character to play. I would play Raiden but don't worry l won't add to the masses until they hopefully nerf him.

Drencrom

Here's a picture of Clock and his lunch
NxlvL.jpg

OmegaZero

Forward square x2 is a nice substitute for the dash (fast) uppercut. I usually follow it up with down triangle for 60 more AP and to set up some wake up shenanigans.

EDIT:
At least they are looking at Drake, Kratos, and Raiden. But I think Sly needs to be looked at too. The fact that his counter hits you after projectiles is kinda ridiculous, and the move in general could be more punishable.

Yeah, and to make things worse he has a teleport that has nearly instantaneous startup.
I think they should also make Heihachi's counter less punishable since it apparently has the longest cooldown for no reason.

Ugh finally the ban lifted.

#1 defender said:
Thanks for the games, Napalm. Sorry about your belt. :/
Is no prob, I got it back again :lol. Season is so friggin long I can afford to lose it a few times more!

#1 defender said:
Sorry Napalm, i've been afk earlier and only saw your message just now. Doesn't help that i can't see you online on the XMB when you're on your Vita. :/
Yeah it's annoying. Sony should have had that fixed day 1. Another thing that grinds my teeth about the Vita version is that its one of those games that disables all network communications of OS. Meaning I can only check, write messages and see who is online doing what while I am not in a group. If I am in a group with a friend and want to ask another if he wants to join it will kick me out of the group so that is poor design. Oh well I have still played Vita version exclusively for the last 3 weeks :lol.

sn00zer said:
Hey is there a list of all of the easter eggs in the game?
Saw the NICE SHOT! a few days ago and Warhawk that rarely appears in Time Station any others?
I know that the god of war chest can spawn apparently only on GoW stage, Heihachis pin throw can sometimes spawn a Tekken beach ball that just stays in the stage. I have heard a rumor that Drake can sometimes spawn a special barrell that contains an item but I don't think I have seen that one.

Slys counter is justifiably the best since he can't hitconfirm from it (Heihachi can can't he? He should since he has the worst counter due to 10 thousand years of vulnerability if you miss it.) Nariko and Kratos have the most balanced ones since they aren't completely ridicilous like Slys and they can't hitconfirm. Raiden being able to hitconfirm off of counter is something I actually like but he should have bigger vulnerability if he misses. So what I would do with the counters is increase Slys vulnerability by a little but not too much since it needs to be the best one, do same for Raiden but not to the point of uselessness, make Heihachis counter less vulnerable and I would say probably even make it counter projectiles. Leave Narikos and Kratos counters alone.

I have said this before but I can't stand the physics altering stages in the game. Time Station is the worst offender but Invasion start has some annoyances as well when performing combos. Almost as annoying as scrolling stages on Smash :lol. I actually quite like Aldens Tower exept for the bug that if enemy falls off they spawn stunned as they should but appear invisible. Not that big of a prob tho since you know where they spawn.

Toros scorpion move still needs fixed. It sometimes gets stuck and renders that move unusable till you die and that ruins many situations.

Balance is getting there if they don't overdo it with Drake and Kratos. Raiden is the only one that deserves a real nerf but I don't want them to go crazy like with Sackboy. Gumball 10ap still makes zero sense since it has one of the longest startups of any move, thing is useless now.

I'm going to officially eat crow:

Jak does not need a buff.

He is not as shitty as I though but he does need buff on individual moves imo. For example the homing lasers is useless, green gravity thing could last a tiiny bit longer since it actually has a startup. Also his lvl 2 AOE needs to go below floors because Toros does. It sometimes ruins the super in stages like Dreamscape, Time Station ect.

KalBalboa

Banned
He is not as shitty as I though but he does need buff on individual moves imo. For example the homing lasers is useless, green gravity thing could last a tiiny bit longer since it actually has a startup. Also his lvl 2 AOE needs to go below floors because Toros does. It sometimes ruins the super in stages like Dreamscape, Time Station ect.

I think he trades off for it with his sheer mobility, though. Plus, he's got a really strong set of ranged and melee moves. Those square attacks chain so easily, and that triangle-forward gun move can stop a Kratos Level 1 immediately.

He's definitely not a beginner character, though.

Hey guys. Is there a singleplayer game within this title to justify a purchase? I know the popular opinions on the matter but I'm not really looking for a constant multiplayer experience. Just something to have fun with every once in a while by my lonesome and to pop it in when I have company.

Hey guys. Is there a singleplayer game within this title to justify a purchase? I know the popular opinions on the matter but I'm not really looking for a constant multiplayer experience. Just something to have fun with every once in a while by my lonesome and to pop it in when I have company.

I would not recommend it for SP only. There is arcade mode, some challenges and practice mode but that is pretty much it. MP is where the game shines.

Vodh

If it was something like $60 then I might be on the fence about the SP alone, but for $30 it's definitely worth it. A single playthrough is about 6-10 hours and both the gameplay and the cutscenes are awesome.Second playthrough is prolly a bit quicker and I guess it's not obligatory, but it should still be fun. (there are 50 missions divided across 9 stages and in the second playthrough if you pick the other character, the last 2 missions are different. I'm guessing maybe 2 other change as well, but not 100% positive on that)

(I finished one playthrough and it was awesome, didn't feel like it was dragging, and the perspective of the second playthrough keeps me happy about the SP not being too short either. And after you beat the campaign you unlock a mode where you can pick any character and play around in any of the completed stages with him, so if you're hungry for some SP action with someone else than the main duo, there's that too.)

Edit: Which reminds me, I wish the all-characters SP mode was a bit more substantial, more like actually playing through the campaign, just without the cutscenes, unlocking the missions... And maybe give us a concept art for the character you've finished the campaign with? You know, something completely optional, but still with an incentive and a sense of progression.

Oh, wait, it's PSABR thread, not the Anarchy Reigns thread... In that case, no, not really worth it, might be worth it (just barely) when the game drops to like 15-20$.

Top Bottom