• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS import recommendations.

Jake.

so since i cancelled my wii preorder a week ago i have some more money on my hands. i have bleach and ouendan on order, does anyone else have any other recommendations? no RPG's/major text-heavy games please.

Rabid Pancake

TheTrin's underpaid lackey
Those two, Jump Ultimate Stars, Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten. Don't close your options for US DS games either.

Jake.

i got trauma centre and castlevania from the states, i'd get final fantasy too if it was in stock.

Tsubaki

Daigasso Band Bros.

My favorite DS game. Only caveat is that it's more geared toward those who love rhythm games than having wide appeal like Ouendan.

FoxSpirit

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin. Will be out in about 1 week US.
The new MegaMan is also pretty solid if you like stuff like that. A bit like Metroid with a bad map. Still, nice action, liked it quite a bit.

The rest has either been mentioned or is RPGs on my side.

P.S.:kamikaze, no major text-heavy games. How much more majorly textbased can a game get then Phoenix Wright? :lol

neo2046

I just want to say Ouenden :D
ouendan is enough

oh yes, you can save the money for bleach 2nd
bleach 2nd will come out around next Feb

Tsubaki

FoxSpirit said:
P.S.:kamikaze, no major text-heavy games. How much more majorly textbased can a game get then Phoenix Wright? :lol

I'm pretty sure the original poster said that because he can't read Jp text. Both Gyakuten Saiban DS games have English as an option, so they are probably up his alley.

Jake XXX said:
what is daigasso like? how does it differ from ouendan? i'll try and read up on it some more.

Use the D-Pad amd face buttons to play notes. You play the entire track of an instrument in a song. One screenshot will let you know exactly how the game plays.

It's probably in the top 5 DS games for me. I really like it, and if you like it there's the expansion to buy as well.

Tsubaki

Except the expansion arrangements don't sound as good and doesn't save high scores :(

Daigassou is like a pure rhythm game in that it's all hitting the right notes at the right time. Each direction on Dpad is a "note" and each of the face buttons is a note. On higher difficulty, L shoulder will be used for sharps, and R-trigger will be used for octave changes. The visuals are merely functional. And the music is all midi.

But get past all of that and it's one of the coolest games ever because...

1) You play an instrument part of a song. This means that despite the fact that there are "only" 39? songs in the game, each song has 4-8 different instrument parts to it mean that you actually have HUNDREDS of patterns to play. And different difficulties have different patterns too.

2) It's hard. Ouendan is hard, but it's a different kind of hard. Ouendan is a "train you til you stop failing" kind of hard. Daigassou, OTOH, has some parts that I still cannot do because either I'm not physically coordinated enough or because my mind cannot process the notes that fast. But it's a good thing. Just like Ouendan, the game teaches you to do better at it.

3) Multiplayer is awesomely awesome. If you have other friends with DSes, you just need one cart to host and then everyone else can play & contribute to the song the host chooses. Up to 8 players off one cart. It's the most underrated mp game ever.

4) And if you must have more songs, you can compose your own songs too and save them (and can transmit those by WLAN too for multiplayer).

Jake.

i'll check it out tsubaki, thanks for the heads up.

sky, i read rhythm tengoku isn't very import friendly. any truth to that?

mutsu

This is a good one - Magical Taizen

I just got it last week, and my wife and I had been playing it everyday. You need to have a fairly good level of Japanese knowledge though, otherwise you won't make the most of it.

But it surely feels good to be a magician :D

Top Bottom