• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR5 speculation thread Lucid dreams with Rare side effects?

Shaneus

Why you guys were so sure it was PGR I have no idea. You took the slightest bits of evidence and ran with it like it was the Gospel.

When common sense always stated it would be Forza, especially since they stated they wanted a Forza every year (mainline followed by spin-off the next year)
Check the OP.

Feel free to RT guys. I'm gonna try get some sleep before work.

Well, this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy_LDyfCANg

looks more like PGR than Forza to me. What is a name anyway (I know, I still miss MSR).
With the name comes the aesthetic and presentation PGR was known for. Now we get commentary.

COMMENTARY.

Fuck this. The reveal itself was terrible, the console name is terrible, the console looks terrible and no PGR5 was the salt in a very deep wound.

YOU SUCK, MS.
Cosigned. As far as reveals go, they didn't really seem to reveal anything. It basically just felt like another dash update.

Edit: The only hope we might have... MIGHT... is if MS pull a Sony and announce PGR5 for 360, and then it alternates with FM rather than Horizon. There's a chance, I guess. Fucking small one, though.

Megasoum

Banned
So Lucid doesn't have anything to do with FM5 right? I mean it's not like with Horizon when even if Playground was doing everything they still had Greenwalt on stage talking about it.

So we still don't know what Lucid is doing?

Shaneus

So Lucid doesn't have anything to do with FM5 right? I mean it's not like with Horizon when even if Playground was doing everything they still had Greenwalt on stage talking about it.

So we still don't know what Lucid is doing?
Nope. So it's possible they could still be doing something with PGR and One (or even PGR and 360), but what's the point when Forza is the leading game on the platform? Regardless of when PGR comes out (if they decide to do the alternating thing with FM), because the public don't instantly recognise the difference between the two franchises, why would they bother with it when FM5 is already out?

IMO they should've lead with PGR, something to hook the casual gamer into racing around the streets with an arcade feel and flair, get them salivating for something more realistic, then drop FM5 on them. This way, they're hoping to catch a more hardcore crowd with a launch title. I don't know what the fuck they're thinking, not having a more casual racer available at launch. Completely fucking inept.

I've tweeted Lucid this morning (asking about the things we were supposed to hear "mid-May") but am yet to hear back. Will see what happens. I guess it's possible at the time they tweeted (and the time they posted the image in Jan.) they thought they were going to be a launch title. Who knows? Or maybe they have bigger plans for PGR that would make IT the flagship over FM? (Doubtful, but anything's possible I guess)

I literally have no idea what the fuck is going on with anything. We have two studios that seem to be linked together, possibly making a game, one of which has no history of making racing games but hired a metric fuckton of experienced racing game developers... but nothing linked to them at all. Never mind there's also Playground, who don't seem to have anything on the horizon (excuse the pun).

Unless maybe they're working on a Horizon-style game but in the streets of London instead? Would certainly explain the January pic, and also could be a reference to roads opening after a festival in a city...

DD

I really don't care anymore. They may have PGR5, 6, Forza 236, they may announce Rallisports Challange 3, or whatever. I won't buy this piece of garbage they anounced today. At every news I read about the Xbox One, things get worse and worse.

Seriously, I send a big FUCK YOU to PGR, Forza and whatever crap they decide to show. Not even the WiiU seems so bad now. I really, REALLY hope to see the Xbox One to be a massive failure.

benzy

Yeah, I think I'm gonna skip out on Xbox One. Neither Horizon nor FM can fill my PGR void. This series is pretty much as dead as Rallisport if they chose to launch Forza 5. It's been 6 years since PGR4 came out and only 2 years since Forza 4. 2014 we'll probably get Horizon 2. We should have saw the signs when MS decided to launch PGR4 right next to Halo 3. And after this unveiling of Xbox One I doubt MS is looking to invest in anything that's known to sell less than the Forza franchise.

It was nice knowing all you PGR fans.

:tears

photoooijdjbqf.jpg

photoooooodgyhz.jpg

photoghi4tydd.jpg

Shaneus

Yeah, I think I'm gonna skip out on Xbox One. Neither Horizon nor FM can fill my PGR void. This series is pretty much as dead as Rallisport if they chose to launch Forza 5. It's been 6 years since PGR4 came out and only 2 years since Forza 4. 2014 we'll probably get Horizon 2. We should have saw the signs when MS decided to launch PGR4 right next to Halo 3. And after this unveiling of Xbox One I doubt MS is looking to invest in anything that's known to sell less than the Forza franchise.

It was nice knowing all you PGR fans.

:tears
Do we know how PGR3 sold against Forza 2? Because they're probably the only numbers that can really be compared, given the botched launch of PGR4.

And god, I hope we don't get Horizon 2. The game was good for what it was, but a lot of it just seemed to ape some of the best features of PGR, but not make them feel as good (as if those crowd points and rankings even compared to Kudos).

I mean, SO stupid leading with FM5. It's not a casual game, it's not something majority of people will want to pick up and play. So chances are, they're going to neuter that title as well to appeal to as many new console buyers as well. Not to mention that commentary as well.

Now, I just need to hear from BADNED and Lucid to see what the hell is going on. Neither OddOne nor I went to all that investigative journalistic effort for nothing.

Unless, like I said, PGR5 is going to be a last hurrah for the 360. *That* is the only thing I could see happening that would do the game proud and also give it a fighting chance for those who choose to wait out buying a new console. And I guess it's more than remotely possible, especially considering that post or comment (I can't even remember where I remember it from now) that mentioned them building off the PGR4 engine for the new title they were working on. THAT would make sense.

*If* that were true, then it would mean a larger casual audience would see PGR5 as they're more likely to own a 360 than a One. And by the time PGR6 comes around, most of the trickery and techniques to wring the most out of the One should be better than whatever FM5 can get out of it at launch. Plus imagine the online integration like we saw at that presentation in line with something like PGR2's online. Fuuuuu....

DD

Are you guys seriously considering to buy the Xbox One if, let's say, PGR5 is announced on E3?

I'm out. I'm totally out. I like to go to the beach house with one videogame console; the wi-fi signal in my bedroom is awful; I usually lend my games to my cousin and vice versa; I don't feel well with the ideia of a camera and a microfone on my bedroom... seriously, even the freakin' name of the console is wrong!

It seems that they put a lot of apes in a locked room and that thing came out as result.

The only nice thing I can think of is how good the new controller look. =/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Are you guys seriously considering to buy the Xbox One if, let's say, PGR5 is announced on E3?

I'm out. I'm totally out. I like to go to the beach house with one videogame console; the wi-fi signal in my bedroom is awful; I usually lend my games to my cousin and vice versa; I don't feel well with the ideia of a camera and a microfone on my bedroom... seriously, even the freakin' name of the console is wrong!

It seems that they put a lot of apes in a locked room and that thing came out as result.

The only nice thing I can think of is how good the new controller look. =/
The entire console is giving me the wrong vibe.

Even if there is a PGR, I don't know now. I'm at the stage where the actual console itself will interfere with my ability to play a game. And that makes me comfortable, especially for purchases beyond PGR.

It's still not happening and it still hurts. Also BADNED is a dick.

Shaneus

The entire console is giving me the wrong vibe.

Even if there is a PGR, I don't know now. I'm at the stage where the actual console itself will interfere with my ability to play a game. And that makes me comfortable, especially for purchases beyond PGR.

It's still not happening and it still hurts. Also BADNED is a dick.
This is me all over. The console is just... wrong. And the second-hand thing totally rubs me up the wrong way, not only because it's a second-hand thing, but it also prevents me from borrowing other people's games. And the almost always-online thing prevents me from taking it if I'm heading away for a weekend where there's TV but no internet.

Although on the latter point, I'm waiting for BADNED and his right of reply before postulating his resemblance to a phallus. Also hoping Lucid will reply to my tweet, but I have no idea what time it is over there and whether it's an appropriate time for them to respond or not. Curious to check out their FB page though, see if there's any backlash or it really was just us that thought we were seeing it at this presentation.

Is anyone else with me on the likelyhood of PGR5 appearing on the 360? More I think about it, more it strikes me as being somewhat likely. It'd fit into pretty much everything we've seen and heard already... and keep in mind the reason they felt they were held back with PGR4 was due to disc space, but with FM4 paving the way for multi-disc driving games, maybe that's what they're working on? A few more cities, with all having full day-night cycles? Even on the existing (albeit tweaked) engine, that could be exactly what we're looking for. In fact, even better, because we wouldn't need a new console to play it!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is me all over. The console is just... wrong. And the second-hand thing totally rubs me up the wrong way, not only because it's a second-hand thing, but it also prevents me from borrowing other people's games. And the almost always-online thing prevents me from taking it if I'm heading away for a weekend where there's TV but no internet.

Although on the latter point, I'm waiting for BADNED and his right of reply before postulating his resemblance to a phallus. Also hoping Lucid will reply to my tweet, but I have no idea what time it is over there and whether it's an appropriate time for them to respond or not. Curious to check out their FB page though, see if there's any backlash or it really was just us that thought we were seeing it at this presentation.

Is anyone else with me on the likelyhood of PGR5 appearing on the 360? More I think about it, more it strikes me as being somewhat likely. It'd fit into pretty much everything we've seen and heard already... and keep in mind the reason they felt they were held back with PGR4 was due to disc space, but with FM4 paving the way for multi-disc driving games, maybe that's what they're working on? A few more cities, with all having full day-night cycles? Even on the existing (albeit tweaked) engine, that could be exactly what we're looking for. In fact, even better, because we wouldn't need a new console to play it!
I think MS is completely done with the 360. I was convinced at the top of this year they shifted ALL gears towards the One, probably why they have so many exclusives in the first year too.

I really don't think we'll get anything for 360 at all going forward, they're going to let the third parties do all the heavy lifting.

If there is no PGR5 at E3, then I think the dream is actually did and I can seriously call BADNED a dick :p

Shaneus

I think MS is completely done with the 360. I was convinced at the top of this year they shifted ALL gears towards the One, probably why they have so many exclusives in the first year too.

I really don't think we'll get anything for 360 at all going forward, they're going to let the third parties do all the heavy lifting.

If there is no PGR5 at E3, then I think the dream is actually did and I can seriously call BADNED a dick :p
I dunno... you don't think there's one last hurrah left? I mean, the only thing pointing to it now is that there's all this stuff that points to a new PGR *and* that it would be a death knell to release PGR anywhere near FM5. Still should've launched with PGR, get people hungry for a "deeper" game then spring FM5 on them the following year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I dunno... you don't think there's one last hurrah left? I mean, the only thing pointing to it now is that there's all this stuff that points to a new PGR *and* that it would be a death knell to release PGR anywhere near FM5. Still should've launched with PGR, get people hungry for a "deeper" game then spring FM5 on them the following year.
I think the last hurrah was Halo 4..

(Or Gears: Judgment, but I'd rather not that be it)

I'm in disarray, I feel like we've just been looking too much into it but then I think about the devs recording for a new PGR, and the two or so GAF insiders that said they heard a PGR was coming. But then again so many rumours have been disconfirmed and some select ones confirmed today, I think we might as well not be using any of these sources as indicators at all.

Hey guys, what if PGR5 is actually being made? Most of us was hoping to see it today right? We were hoping for x1 day one title but what if it's being made for x360?

I mean Xbox one will have Forza 5 so no need for a second racing game from Microsoft in the first year. Many people owns x360 and there isn't any games coming from Microsoft for it, at least that we know of.

Maybe PGR5 is being made as a last big 360 exclusive to give it one more chance. Microsoft will see how the game sales, people will be reminded about PGR franchise and then we might actually get PGR6 on x1 year or two after Forza 5.

Can't say I wouldn't like but knowing life it won't happen for sure ;)

Reserving judgement till E3, who knows what's going to happen.

The console itself is alright, no more P2P multiplayer only server based is a big deal.

I think lucid are doing something so i still have hope.

TJP

Given what MS revealed with Xbox One PGR 5 would have to be out of this world spectacular for me to buy the console. PS4 and PC GPU upgrade for me now!

Shaneus

Hey guys... I don't think it's over yet ;)

The wind blows with 120 km/h!
"In Dubai 120 is the maximum speed limit which shows on board and have the tolerance of +20kmph. But whenever it shows 140, no tolerance is available. Temporary speed cameras can be expected in any roads."
Wikipedia.org - Speed limits by country

The laid down rubber illustrates your art of driving!
Obvious reference to Kudos. Could also be a reference to the amount of production of oil in the region, some of which would be used to go onto make synthetic rubber for tyres.
OR, "laid down rubber" could refer to the fact that the wealth of Dubai is almost entirely built on that of the oil industry, so it could be a reference to the streets being figuratively paved with oil.
Final "stretching it" theory: Sharjah (near enough to Dubai, I think) had a road paved using rubber, the first in UAE, three years ago. The article mentions that if the trial was successful (was to be 10km in that region) it would be extended. Perhaps it was extended all the way to Dubai?

Are you sure? I mean going nearly 830m upwards takes a while. Do you have the time?
Obvious that he's talking about the tallest building in Dubai, but worth noting that he chose to respond to it. Possibly a heavy reference to the leaked video from Chris Davie's tumblr a while back:
arrlw8.gif

If the building's modelled already, be a shame for it to go to waste, yes? Might as well make a game to put it in ;)
(Note: I don't think that's the actual building seen in that .gif, but I'm pretty sure it's within VERY close proximity of it)

You confuse yourself by bringing things out of context and mix it with other stuff. Look straight forward and everything will be fine.

Now some sleep and then up to the Campus it goes ;)
What road to better look straight forward along than Sheikh Zayed Road:
1qwUM6Ll.jpg

feSy51ml.png

and a great spectacle for a driving game:
IJNnO6cl.png

especially at night:
owXee07l.jpg

The good thing another winter filled with racing dreams is awaiting us! GT6 was just the beginning! The other candidates will take off their covers soon.
Kinda has me stumped. Maybe it's not as much of a riddle as just a hint that we'll be seeing something in the PGR universe soon (and "taking off covers" refers to the sheet used in the GT6 promo shot). Racing "dreams" quite possibly also referring to FM5 (as we later found out) as someone (Mascot?) mentioned earlier in the thread.

***HOLY FUCK. Guys, the thread on GAF referring to those videos was created on the 7th of Jan. Posts in that same thread indicate it was pulled around the 10th or 11th of Jan. This article mentions the "Road Opens" picture appeared on Lucid's page on the 10th. Anyone willing to bet that this is how things went down?
* Davie posts picture on tumblr, spreads fairly quickly around gaming forums etc., but not madly.
* Deal gets inked (maybe in the works for a while, maybe not) around the 10th, preview image goes up, publisher asks to have videos removed? (Or was maybe just because of pressure if it's considered Activision property, who knows...)

Actually... what's the bet they're using the engine Davie briefly mentioned in his blog before that video was pulled?
We were using a whole new engine at this point that had been developed internally, it was really nice tech that we sadly never got to ship a game with.
Perhaps if they never shipped a game with it, they were allowed to keep it. The PGR4 engine was nuts, apparently the Blur one was even better (it's just not as obvious, but technically more impressive, it's supposed to be) so this could be even better again... especially if it's tweaked to use the 360 and not be multiplatform!

Best part is, with what we saw in that video/gif, everything made in it to that point was by 100% classic Bizarre Creations <3... so the final game shouldn't be all that different from a fully-fledged Bizarre team. A PGR on One would be ground-up and made from all different people, but this way... this is the best way. It's a final hurrah from the Bizarre of old as a way of saying "thank you". You're welcome, Halloween Pumpkin guy :')

Don't give up, PGR-GAF. It's an omen ;)

eso76

sure it's still coming, just scrapped in favor of a more popular franchise for the reveal.
They couldn't have both fm5 and pgr5 on the show.

i'm 100% positive it's still coming, maybe delayed as to not interfere with fM5 sales, which i'm sure Microsoft demands is ready for launch, to make the console look less shitty than it really is.

Mascot

Dan walks on stage at E3 and says "Oops! That video from the One reveal was mis-labelled as FM5. It's actually PGR5, motherfukkazz!!1!"

Then he drops his pants and does a handstand.

Shaneus

Nah, PGR5 for 360. Calling it, 100%. 360's swansong, what better title to do it than one that still looks more impressive than 90% of the racers available on it today?

Flavius

Nah, PGR5 for 360. Calling it, 100%. 360's swansong, what better title to do it than one that still looks more impressive than 90% of the racers available on it today?

I think you're right. Makes a hell of a lot more sense given what we know about the size of the team.

Shaneus

Except the commentary. Fuck that. No matter who does it, unless Forza's going for maximum dudebro (which is the direction it seems to be leaning towards) then it can do away with it.

Maybe as an XBLA release?
GoD/Retail. Possibly only GoD, but that'd doom it even more if people get pissy about not being able to play DD titles on it (not that it matters because they couldn't play a 360 disc either, but still...). Actually, probably not GoD at all. Devalues the game too much, people will automatically assume it's XBLA size/quality. Shove it on a disc or two (the latter is my bet... if they did it with FM4, they could do it with PGR5... after all, it was the reason they didn't include full day/night on all the tracks) and bingo. Best part is, because it's coming up to EOL for the console, no-one would really expect Forza-esque DLC support afterwards. Maybe a token car pack or two, maybe even another location (especially if they can't fit all of them on two discs). But not 12months+ support.

eso76

So my friend just made me realize something...

thanks for reading my posts on NeoGaf : |

i checked Fanatec's forum, no official answer yet but it appears Thomas said old wheels won't work.

maybe with usb cable or new dongle ?

saladine1

We all know that Lucid are still working on a "top secret game" and a "racing game"

I stated a few pages back that what if FM5 was the game for Xbox next launch and that Lucid's game was a 360 title?
My statement was played down however.
Anyway, whatever happens, it seems PGR is on ice indefinetly. Perhaps, another street racer will take its place..?

Still, I don't know what all the complaining is about with regards to the FM5 trailer looking like PGR.

The way I see it, it's a showcase track for FM5.
We had Montserrat for FM3 which had 'track-ish' layout.
We had Bernese Alps for FM4 which had a 'track-ish' layout

For FM5, we have Praha. Which doesn't look to have the same kind of layouts as the previous games.
Turn 10 probably thought, "Our previous showcases featured nice backdrops and similar structure. How about for FM5, we make it a city based showcase instead, with tighter roads and spaces fit for epic battles?"

Kudos to Turn 10 for choosing something different...

Shaneus

Get that talk out of here. I still can't believe the strategy MS could possibly be thinking with having Forza as a launch title. Either it will remain simmy, move closer to awesome but alienate a fuckload of people because it's actually challenging and a bit hardcore, or to sell more copies, dumb it down and Hollywood it up.

Guys, I'm not confident with FM5. Like I mentioned in the other thread, there is still no identity with Forza. First two I can understand, but they need to be working toward some kind of singular ideal rather than trying to appeal to more and more people by including bizarre shit no-one wants (like commentary). Last time it was Top Gear and bowling (WTF, amirite Mascot)? Before that... I can't remember. But at least PGR has always had the theme of driving around cities with speed and style, accomplishing various challenges that are actually relevant to the core game. Forza just seems to try and do "whatever" for no reason other than to try and capture that 1% of the audience that they'll end up losing other people with anyway.

And while I'm at it, TBH I didn't think it looked that great. Technically it did a lot of things right, but the lighting still looks out of whack and everything looks like it's (admittedly good) CGI or made out of plastic.

Anyway, that's not what I came into this thread for. Came to post this:
KbiLqLT.png

Reckon they'd be asking what everyone thought of the presentation if they were actually working on something for it? I doubt it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So you're saying at the end of this year, all within a few weeks of each other, racing game fans will get Forza 5, GT6, Drive Club and PGR5?

LOL

Shaneus

So you're saying at the end of this year, all within a few weeks of each other, racing game fans will get Forza 5, GT6, Drive Club and PGR5?

LOL
Nah. I reckon PGR5 will be out a good month or two before FM5 is out, at least. When they said "Road Opens 2013", I wasn't picturing at the end of the year. See, there's really not any competition for it. Everything else is on completely different platforms (if my assumption is correct). 360 will also have the highest userbase possible before it gets splintered off between people who buy the next console and those that don't.

And honestly, I think with racing fans being racing fans, they're not going to buy a new console for either Drive Club or FM5. If they want something Drive Club-ish, they can get PGR5. If they want something FM5-ish, they'll get GT6. I'll probably get both and not by a next-genner for another year or two.

I have faith everything will play into my hands nicely.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'm back on the hype train, then.

Lucid. PGRX. Autumn 2013. Xbox 360.

Why PGRX? Because it's a 'best-of' the entire PGR series' cities and cars.

All in stunning 720p at 30fps.

CHOO CHOO!

Thing is, NOBODY would be surprised if the FM5 trailer was for PGR5. It was more PGR than PGR itself!

That is the problem. I do not think MS would release two so similar racing games, it will confuse the userbase.

If Forza had kept its circuit roots and simulation aspects, we could expect a second arcade city racer. But as far as I see in the trailer, Forza has gone all street circuits as well.

Shaneus

I'm back on the hype train, then.

Lucid. PGRX. Autumn 2013. Xbox 360.

Why PGRX? Because it's a 'best-of' the entire PGR series' cities and cars.

All in stunning 720p at 30fps.

CHOO CHOO!
Fuck yeah, I'm down with that. And while we're at it, make it triple-disc. 10 15 cities, full day/night, say... 200 cars?

Honestly, Turn 10 need to have a better look at how they do their cars. I'm still discovering things about the cars in PGR4 and there's only what, 150 or so? That's a good number. And you can't even tune them! But Forza and GT have lost focus... well, mostly Forza. Enough with the car bundles, FFS. You don't need that many fucking cars! It's like making a 2D street brawler game, keeping the same levels and only adding new characters. Soon enough, it doesn't matter who you play as, because the level will only feel slightly different.

But I'm not sold on their trailer. PGR is about street racing... it's more of a fantasy of taking awesome cars and flinging them around any street circuit you desire. Forza is a sim, that with a few exceptions (Fujimi Kaido, Positano) is *only* about circuit racing, because that's what you do in real life... they're simulating that. When trying to pull of a street racer, they're dumbing down that fact that they're trying to pull off a sim game.

Though having said that, GT had it's fair share of street circuits, so I dunno.

Man, almost 1,000 posts and this gif could not be more suitable for this thread:
56c12edff4a0981b33e3fjgsyb.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Though thuway's track record has been recently proven as good, nope. I've lost all hope at this point, I don't believe anything.

If PGR5 is for 360 and out this fall, it's sent to die again, but at least that means I don't have to suffer through what the Xbox One is right now. And when I start to believe that as a possibility, I just feel I'm back trying to rationalize its existence again and just setting myself up for more disappointment.

Top Bottom