• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug Anthology PS2--WTF!?

I called GS earlier and they said they were suppsoed to be coming in today. Best Buy however has the release date as 4/10...

NeonZ

2DMention said:
Why would anybody buy 4+5 on ebay, especially those being the worst metal slugs? I think I'll have to get rid of 4+5 once I get the anthology.

Hopefully it will have the galleries and extra goodies of the PSP version.

Metal Slug 5 > Metal Slug 2- at least, it doesn't suffer from so much slow down.

I really don't understand why people are so negative towards 5, even lumping it with 4. Its only real problems are due to being rushed, lacking alternate paths and cut scenes after the first level, but MS1, MS2 and MSX didn't have those two things either. Of course, it's worse than 3, but that one just has so much content for a MS game...

4 is the only real bad one, with unbalanced difficulty, which ranges from pathetic to impossible and then back to pathetic without any progression, also varying wildly between the available routes, without any kind of compensation for that, reused backgrounds and enemy sprites, and the two new playable characters are buggy. Two of its bosses (The first one and the submarine) are actually discarded concepts from MS1 too (though that isn't a negative)...

terrene

Banned
Out of curiosity, how do they handle credits in the Anthology versions? Are there infinite credits, do you get 19 like the TMNT arcade port, or what?

NeonZ

terrene said:
Out of curiosity, how do they handle credits in the Anthology versions? Are there infinite credits, do you get 19 like the TMNT arcade port, or what?

I've got the Wii version...There are options for limited and unlimited credits.

29 on easy, 19 on normal and 9 on hard. After finishing a game, the player gets tokens to unlock music and image, even using unlimited credits. However, the last galleries of images and music require finishing the game in the limited mode.

Emowii

Banned
I can't believe we don't have any impressions for the PS2 port yet? I just saw it in a Ebgames today, but I wasn't about to plunk down $40 unless I knew it was the ultimate version.

I'm already reading some nonsense on gamefaqs about load times and what not. :(

Tiktaalik

I'm waiting on impressions before I drop $$$ on the neo stick, although with play asia's sale on right now, who knows they might be out.

renvi

Banned
Picked mine up today, and have beaten 6.
there are numbers of slowing down parts. donno about other MS games.

Link316

Banned
I just cancelled my order, not gonna take any chances on this, it just sounds horrible based on those impressions almost like they hired some 1st time PS2 programmers to handle this

Emowii

Banned
fallengorn said:
Ugh... this sucks. I guess I'll be picking up the Wii version?
At this point is honestly sounds like that is the best version available. The overall ports are very solid on the Wii, and the controls are at least servicable. The gamecube controller is your best bet. The only annoyance being the analog stick controls, but they're not too bad.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
You're going to let an ill-informed post on GAMEFAQS dissuade you from buying this?

C'mon, guys.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
discoalucard said:
You're going to let an ill-informed post on GAMEFAQS dissuade you from buying this?

C'mon, guys.
Given that they've already ****ed-up two versions of the collection . . .

Wow, some serious over reaction here.

The loading screens on MS1-5 are pretty odd, but they are short. Other than that everything seems fine to me, all those things the gamefaqs guy said I didn't even notice. Sluggish controls? Eh no, didn't notice. Credits always displayed? Don't know what version of MS doesn't show this. Only arcade resolution? That's not much of a negative in my book.

The games on the disc are the MVS/AES versions, don't expect 3/4/5 to be quite the same as the ps2/xbox versions.

I'm not sure if it was on the Wii version but theres a text interview in the game that has a few interesting tidbits. The one I found most interesting was about an underwater city level they had to cut from a certain Slug game and that they had left just a bit of it in. They don't specify which game it was, but I'm pretty sure it's Slug 5 and would explain the very brief indoor underwater section in level 3 or 4 that always seemed very out of place considering the next screen, which you fight the boss on, is in the middle of the desert.

Works great with the Neo Geo Stick too. :D

So the thread title still works. Oh well, guess the Wii version is the best one, so I'll keep it. I'll look on the bright side: If I can one-credit MS3 on the Wii, I should be able to do pretty much anything game-related.

Crusader

Banned
Port seems fine to me. There's a little loading between levels and a few of the sound effects changed (ex- tank explosions, shotgun samples) but you'd really have to have a few redwoods jammed up your ass to say that constitutes ruination.

And yes, there are hit flashes. =D!

MoxManiac said:
Sigh. Another release, another Playmore failure. Sadly, i'm not suprised.

Pretty much. I didn't think anything of it at first but the laggy input kills this release. The sluggish controls result in way too many cheap deaths. Other than that the presentation is cheap as hell(loading during character select...why? Manual blows. Using ROMS? Weak!) and well...it's a sad piece of work.

Hopefully I can get my money back on ebay.

ive played these games on the ps1, xbox, and wii and this is the best version imo. slight 2 second loads are the only negative. looks and plays better than the rest imo.

mackmoney

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Pretty much. I didn't think anything of it at first but the laggy input kills this release.
Other than that the presentation is cheap as hell(loading during character select...why?) and well...it's a sad piece of work.

Hopefully I can get my money back on ebay.

Are you playing on an HDTV or an SD? I've heard conflicting reports regarding the lag in the PS2 version and there is some speculation the lag is due to the HDTV upconvert. No one's been able to respond to verify so far.

Emowii

Banned
mackmoney said:
Are you playing on an HDTV or an SD? I've heard conflicting reports regarding the lag in the PS2 version and there is some speculation the lag is due to the HDTV upconvert. No one's been able to respond to verify so far.
The guy on Gamefaqs said he wasn't playing on an HDTV, and he said there was lag. He sounded pretty legit, like he knew the series very well in all of it's incarnations.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tonight I'll have my own impressions. Mentions of slowdown wouldn't suprise me if they used the original versions of the game, which had slowdown itself.

Even if it sucks I might keep it to legitimize playing the games on MAME. :/

The Mighty Schwein said:
Credits always displayed? Don't know what version of MS doesn't show this.
It's a DIP option in the arcade version. You can have it persistently show credits, difficulty level, or both.

Emowii said:
The guy on Gamefaqs said he wasn't playing on an HDTV, and he said there was lag. He sounded pretty legit, like he knew the series very well in all of it's incarnations.

I'm playing on an SDTV as well.

Metal Slug 6 is perhaps the only highpoint of this collection. It seems like SNK/P used the recent JPS2 release as there's none of this "Now loading" crap throughout each stage and the controls are more responsive than in MS1-5.

The input lag is a serious issue for fans of the series as it can greatly affect your chances of survival, especially when you have to dodge bullets.

Adding an extra fraction of a second to every command changes everything.

Oh and yeah SNK/Playmore if you're going to use the roms at least make the dipswitch settings available instead of this frontend bullcrap.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Emowii said:
The guy on Gamefaqs

Emowii said:
guy on Gamefaqs

Emowii said:

What did I just get done saying?

Also, the original post by that guy made it seem like he'd never played the Wii or PSP versions and wasn't aware of the (generally minor) issues regarding each of them. Ideally having the home versions of 3-6 on there would've been great, but they're generally well done. Just because you have to wait a few seconds during screen transitions or when you're changing characters (the Japanese PS2 Metal Slug 6 did the same thing during continues) doesn't mean SNK Playmore is screwing you over. Get a grip on reality, guys. $40 is an excellent deal for these.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm sure the general gamefaqs forum is bedlam, but its game-specific forums are far better than gaf if you want...actual information on games. gaf traffics more in sales figures and old 4chan jokes.

in any case, i was mainly interested in this comp for slug 6, and i'd rather just import than risk getting an inferior version. i've already got the rest of the series between ps2 and mvs -- it would've been nice to have the whole series on one disc if they'd done it properly, but hey.

MoxManiac

In other news, apparently Crapmore is bringing the Art of Fighting Collection to NA (Who the **** likes AOF? Seriously) while NGBC and KOF XI continue to rot in JP/EU.

mackmoney

I'm not disputing the input lag as I agree that it's obvious, but I am playing on HDTV so I hoped that would have been the root cause. As mentioned above, MS6 itself plays fine, but the others are borderline unplayable if you're accustomed to the non-lag versions. If you've never played them, then you'll probably be fine.

mosaic

go eat paint
I'm so bummed that not one of these Metal Slug collections came out up-to-standard. The PSP has load times and is too tiny for me to enjoy fully. The Wii lacks the optimal control options and the image looks fuzzy to me regardless of whether I play on my HDTV or the crapola Curtis-Mathis 22inch we have. And now the PS2 version has laggy controls?!

ARGH!!!

There's no excuse. If Capcom can pull off Street Fighter Alpha Anthology on the PS2, then SNK sure as hell could've pulled off perfect dupes of the Metal Slug games.

I think I'm just going to stop wishing for SNK to produce a Samurai Shodown collection... I don't want to see imperfect ports taunting me on the shelves, like the Metal Slug Anthologies are doing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The PSP has load times and is too tiny for me to enjoy fully.
At least in this case you can rip to the memory stick for near flawless performance. Of course, it's still tiny. :p

Crusader

Banned
I actually had to look for it to notice the controls were lagging. Considering I didn't have any deaths over it though probably means that that too is being hysterically overplayed.

PS- Am I the only one that finds it amusing that the people shitting lungs over this...haven't like, y'know, even PLAYED the damn thing?

Alright kiddies, we here at the Schwein Labs Inc. have done some side by side comparing. FAIR side by side comparing, that means Neo Geo AES vs PS2. Not a MVS cab, and definitely not the PS2/Xbox versions of 3/4/5. Lets remember these are the MVS/AES games emulated. NOT the PS2/Xbox ports. But enough BS..

The methods used were simple:
- 1 Neo Geo AES modded for stereo sound and S-video output
- 1 original model Neo Geo AES stick
- 1 Playstation 2 running through component (since no s-video cable was available)
- 1 Neo Geo Stick 2 for the Playstation 2 (identical to the AES controller, the true way to play the slugs on a ps2)
- 1 27" SD television set
- 1 digital camera
- 1 hearty breakfast

The image quality comparison test:
AES on the left, and PS2 on the right. Click to get big!

Metal Slug

Here we can see evidence of either a light filter or perhaps its just what the PS2 hardware likes to do to 2D sprites, either way it's nothing too major. You can also see Marco looks just a little bit skinnier on the PS2, this is because the PS2 holds the resolution more accurately.

Metal Slug 3

Here we can see evidence of the PS2 game actually being a bit more colorful. Notice the trees in the background are actually quite a bit more visable on the PS2. It also seems the PS2 version has some more green in it, but we can attribute that to the PS2 hardware's color output itself no doubt.

Metal Slug 5

Again, the PS2 appears slightly more colorful. On the Neo Geo AES screen, if you look closely, you will notice the player icon is cut off by the edge of the screen. On the PS2 this does not happen. Again, because the PS2 holds the resolution more accurately.

Yup there are some very small borders on the left/right of the PS2 games, oh the horror pfft.. Might just be me, but I think you could make a decent arguement here that the PS2 games actually look a touch better.

The sound quality comparison test:

Music:
Metal Slug AES -- Metal Slug PS2
Metal Slug 3 AES -- Metal Slug 3 PS2
Metal Slug 5 AES -- Metal Slug 5 PS2
All in all the only plus to the PS2 sound is that it seems slightly cleaner (less tinny). The PS2 audio seems to be slightly slower (lower pitched more likely) and also seems to lack a wide stereo field (if any). However, this is not really THAT major imo and its not like the music is all different or anything... Probably a result of poor sound emulation which, strangely, seems to plague these types of compilations more often than not.

Sound effects:
Certain sound effects in MSA such as the planes flying in level 2 of Metal Slug 1 and the boss lowering in level 1 of Metal Slug 2 are a bit louder than they should be.

The controller comparison test:
It is common knowledge that the Neo Geo Stick 2 for PS2 is nearly identical to the original Neo Geo AES stick. If there is ANY "controller lag" it must have been so minor that I never even noticed it. I know of no good way to actually test input lag, but I had no troubles. You can hear this in the audio files that I was able to do everything with ease in the same amount of time. For example in MS1 I played up to the helicopter and destroyed it. Neo Geo Stick 2 for PS2, highly recommended that thing is.

Update: I also tested a regular old PS2 Dualshock controller, I also didn't notice any lag here either. I'm not going to claim to have super sonic reflexes but I do consider myself a good Metal Slug player and have 1 life'd 1-3 numerous times, and also done 4 and 5 on 1 credit. I honestly don't see the issue.

The value comparison test:
A full Metal Slug setup on the Neo Geo AES costs ungodly amounts these days. Up to $5000 I'm guessing?

VS.

Metal Slug Anthology $40
Neo Geo Stick 2 for PS2 $60-70 (completely optional but no slugger should be without, not to mention a comparable arcade stick can be had for much cheaper)

Well, thats a MERE ~$4900 dollar difference. I guess if you just CAN NOT put aside a few MINOR differences and some SHORT loading screens, then by all means spend 100 times more and get the real deal. Of course, you can go the MVS route for maybe ~$1000 (if you've got the spare room) and you can even lower the price of the AES games by getting converted carts but that still wont get you Metal Slug 6 now will it?

Update: Metal Slug 2 on MSA has the grotesque slowdown that plagued the original AES/MVS versions, as far as I can tell, completely removed. I guess that effectively makes it the best version of Metal Slug 2 available to date. I'm sure this was the same on the Wii/PSP versions, I'd just never heard anything about it.

Conclusion:
Since most of this in reply to the gamefaqs links posted in this very thread that seem to be influencing more than a few people it has to be said that the age old rule of take everything said on gamefaqs with a grain of salt still applies.

Sure, 3/4/5 don't use the PS2/Xbox ports. If it did wouldn't it make those games completely obsolete? I don't hear any people complaining Slug 1, 2, and X are not the NGCD/PSX versions. So big whoop.

Sure, it's not entirely PERFECT but these sorts of things, literally, never are. What it is is damn close, and you have to keep in mind that you only really notice these things side by side (at least that was my case). It IS the best version of MSA to get, the ability to use Neo Geo Stick 2 alone makes it that.

So either suck it up and plunk down the scratch for MVS/AES games or get out there and support this AWESOME collection and make SNKP's decision to bring it to the PS2 in the states a right one. MSA wasn't even supposed to have Metal Slug 6 originally, you should buy it for that alone.

(and I don't work for snk lolz)

Eiji

Wow, luckily I have the Japanese standalone port releases of Metal Slug 3, 4 and 5. The anthology sucks compared to the ports.

Well done Schwein.

I'm going to get it. D-pad controls, with hit flicker. Playmore is getting my money, I'm just bummed I couldn't have bought it months earlier for my Wii.
MoxManiac said:
In other news, apparently Crapmore is bringing the Art of Fighting Collection to NA (Who the **** likes AOF? Seriously) while NGBC and KOF XI continue to rot in JP/EU.
Yeah, I saw that too. I'll believe it when I see it. They had the PS2 Twinkle Star Sprites coming here too for about a month before the release was unexplaindely quashed. If that never panned out (SCEA methinks?) I'd be really surprised to see their lowest tier fighting series make it here.

ps
and if Schwein could test the standard Dualshock, just to set everyone here at ease, that would be awfully nice.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ok, just played a game of Metal Slug 2...

I don't think it's really input lag, at least not in this case.. the emulation timing is wrong. The game is running far too fast, and your control isn't sped up accordingly. So what you'd expect would be the proper timing for a command is in fact too late. I could be wrong, because I don't have an actual NeoGeo handy, but that's my immediate impression since Metal Slug 2 is SUPPOSED to have slowdown, and I didn't have ANY.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
MoxManiac said:

Don't forget about Samurai Spirits. :(

renvi

Banned
MoxManiac said:
wow, that's shitmore indeed!

Thanks fellas, it really didn't take that long (few hours) and I've done some additional testing. I'll be updating that post soon. I did play on a dualshock and noticed no lag. Either I lack the 6th sense required here or somethings up.

If anyone has a simple test I could run to check for input lag that'd be helpful.

Hitokage said:
Ok, just played a game of Metal Slug 2...

I don't think it's really input lag, at least not in this case.. the emulation timing is wrong. The game is running far too fast, and your control isn't sped up accordingly. So what you'd expect would be the proper timing for a command is in fact too late. I could be wrong, because I don't have an actual NeoGeo handy, but that's my immediate impression since Metal Slug 2 is SUPPOSED to have slowdown, and I didn't have ANY.

You're absolutely right I hadn't even bothered to play MS2 on MSA since I really don't like the grotesque amount of slowdown in that game. You're totally right, the slowdown in the PS2 version is almost nil! The only reason I say almost is because when you shoot 3-4 Mummies with a shotgun there is still some very minor slowdown. This just makes MSA that much more awesome.

In the original AES version (also applies to MVS) the slowdown is really, and I mean really, bad. For example when you blow up the wall right after getting the camel slug in level one is goes soooo slow. It's bad in single player but as I recall 2 player is just ludicrous and borderline unplayable. It's essentially the main reason Metal Slug X exists in it's current form..

That said, I still didn't notice the lag in MS2. Even playing with a standard Dualshock. I have an original model PS2, is it possible this issue applies to the smaller PS2?? Just trying to narrow it down because I'm beginning to think I'm getting old and senile.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You're absolutely right I hadn't even bothered to play MS2 on MSA since I really don't like the grotesque amount of slowdown in that game. You're totally right, the slowdown in the PS2 version is almost nil! The only reason I say almost is because when you shoot 3-4 Mummies with a shotgun there is still some very minor slowdown. This just makes MSA that much more awesome.
It would be one thing if it simply lacked slowdown, but many parts that didn't have slowdown in the original are faster still. It's off kilter, and it's noticable in some sound effects too... higher pitched than they should be, or so it seems to me.

In the original AES version (also applies to MVS) the slowdown is really, and I mean really, bad. For example when you blow up the wall right after getting the camel slug in level one is goes soooo slow. It's bad in single player but as I recall 2 player is just ludicrous and borderline unplayable. It's essentially the main reason Metal Slug X exists in it's current form..
Eh, from my experience it isn't that bad at all. Sure it happens, but it hardly takes away from the game. Of course, MS2 happens to be the one I play the most so I'm a tad biased in that respect. ;)

BTW, I played with a PStwo and a Dualshock2. Haven't tried my Hori RAP yet.

Top Bottom