• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug Anthology PS2--WTF!?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Dear Customer,

You have signed up to receive release date changes for:

Metal Slug Anthology

Old Release Date - 2/6/2007
New Release Date - 3/1/2007

Thank you for visiting GameStop.com!
The World's Largest Selection of Gaming Products!

*bangs head on wall*

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if SNK can patch the Wii version so I can just use the Classic Controller :(

olubode said:
I wonder if SNK can patch the Wii version so I can just use the Classic Controller :(
It doesn't? I was under the impression that the Wii version supported all imaginable control schemes.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Operations said:
It doesn't? I was under the impression that the Wii version supported all imaginable control schemes.
Yeah at one time, (E3) they did. Then SNK decided to screw me.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
drohne said:
psp version is march now too. and "march" is probably code for "never." :(

I actually picked up the Metal Slug 4 & 5 Doublepack last week on the cheap for the Xbox because I had the feeling this was gonna get canceled outright. *sigh*

As an aside, why does Metal Slug 3 completely and totally destroy 4 & 5? It's on another level entirely. Does 6 reach the same heights or is 3 pretty much the zenith of the series?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
4 + 5 were done after snk died, afaik by completely different developers. they're both fun games, but nowhere near the level of the nazca/snk originals. i haven't played 6 yet -- it seems to mix up the formula in some interesting ways.

Ecrofirt

Wait.

Wait a second.

I got the Wii version for Christmas, but I haven't opened it yet. You're telling me they took out Classic Controller support? I thought I read previews or whatever saying the only way to play it with completely normal controls was to use the Classic Controller.

Now you're telling me there's no classic controller, and I've got waggle wand shit?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
drohne said:
4 + 5 were done after snk died, afaik by completely different developers. they're both fun games, but nowhere near the level of the nazca/snk originals. i haven't played 6 yet -- it seems to mix up the formula in some interesting ways.

The difference in quality is actually pretty startling, even down to the menus. At least 5 throws some entirely new enemies at you. Still, Metal Slug 3 is a masterpiece. It shocks me each time I play it (I have yet to make it past stage 4--matter of fact, I made it past the killer plants for the 1st time on Sunday and stumbled onto an alternate route rife with mummies and mummy dogs. So damn awesome.)

Jeff-DSA

Ecrofirt said:
Wait.

Wait a second.

I got the Wii version for Christmas, but I haven't opened it yet. You're telling me they took out Classic Controller support? I thought I read previews or whatever saying the only way to play it with completely normal controls was to use the Classic Controller.

Now you're telling me there's no classic controller, and I've got waggle wand shit?

You can use a GameCube controller, but...no d-pad support. Also, the Hori pad as a no-go.

Yeah, they borked the controls, but it's still an awesome collection.

Tain

I'm still waiting to see if they somehow messed up the controls or some other aspect of the games in the PS2 version.

Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for.

Logically, they'd just package up the already released 3-6 PS2 ports and work out emulation or something for the first two. Then again, logically, the Wii version would support a classic controller d-pad.

6 is better than 4 and 5, but 3 is undoubtedly the peak of the series. I think having just X & 3 would be good enough for me. Wish I hadn't sold my Xbox version of MS3 though...it's hard enough to get through without having to wrestle with a jittery analog stick. As soon as (if?) the PS2 version of this collection is out, I'm trading/selling my Wii version to get it.

HAOHMARU

Yea MS3 is the best one...it is just over the top fun. 1, 2 and X are still classics though. I used to play those so much that I could be them on just a few credits. Probably lost my skill since I haven't played them in the longest time.

4&5 just blow...never played 6.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
nubysc2arcadestick1in.jpg

anyone try that stick with the Wii version? I have it and I think it has an analogue mode that can be toggled with a button. Just wondering if that stick might work.

Parallax Scroll said:
I'm still waiting to see if they somehow messed up the controls or some other aspect of the games in the PS2 version.

That would be hilarious considering 3,4,5, and 6 are already done for them.

Also WTF at no hitflash in the Wii version? It's totally jarring not getting any visual feedback that you're harming the bosses.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
SNK/Playmore's site makes no mention of the PS2 version (PSP version is at least accounted for). Matter of fact, they have Metal Slug specific message boards--and there isn't one for the PS2 version at all. Also, they still have info for Metal Slug GBA, which I thought was canceled long ago.

Why must they toy with my emotions so?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There is no "Playmore." It's SNK again. ;)

They've done great things with their Atomiswave stuff and Maximum Impact 2 was great too...they're back up to levels of awesomeness again. For now.

drohne said:

Yes. MS4 was by Mega Enterprises IIRC, and MS5 was another team. MS4 is the weakest entry in the series, IMO.

MS6 is much better than MS4 (I never went all the way through MS5), but MS3 is still better. However, MS6 does add some nice new game play elements.

levious said:
nubysc2arcadestick1in.jpg

anyone try that stick with the Wii version? I have it and I think it has an analogue mode that can be toggled with a button. Just wondering if that stick might work.

I have it and the stick doesn't work with the Wii at all. It doesn't seem to detect it. It might be because my stick's GCN port sucks though.

AniHawk

MSA was the first time I really got to play any of these at a good length. Metal Slug 3 was definitely the highlight of the series. Epic.

Vard

levious said:
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/nubysc2arcadestick1in.jpg

I tried it too... it doesn't work. :(

MS5 was done by Playmore if I remember right. It was better than 4 but still pretty weak. 4 really only brought one good thing to the table - the dual wielding machine guns. If you've played them all but 6, I wouldn't say 6 is worth buying the collection for if you really aren't going to play the others - but I really couldn't conceive of such a thing as not playing MS1-3 over and over again.

Emowii

Banned
I can't believe it. It looks like the PS2 version finally ships tomorrow!

I'm really looking forward to some hand's on impressions, as I might get rid of my Wii version if the PS2 version is perfect. I still can't stand owning this game for the Wii, and it's ridiculous controller options.

Emowii said:

I'm really looking forward to some hand's on impressions, as I might get rid of my Wii version if the PS2 version is perfect. I still can't stand owning this game for the Wii, and it's ridiculous controller options.

It's actually coming? SWEET CHRISTMAS JOY!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Emowii said:

Unfortunately, I just saw this...

Dear Customer,

You have signed up to receive release date changes for:

Metal Slug Anthology

Old Release Date - 3/26/2007
New Release Date - 5/1/2007

Thank you for visiting GameStop.com!
The World's Largest Selection of Gaming Products!

Heh, I'm kidding. Don't worry.

Emowii

Banned
ZOMG. I thought you were serious for a second. :lol The sad part is that it wouldn't have suprised me one bit.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Dammit guys, I was purposely not updating this thread because I am completely convinced that at the last second my glee would signal the beginning of a Duke Nukem Forever style delay. Once it's in my hands then all will be well. *fingers crossed*

Emowii

Banned
bob_arctor said:
Dammit guys, I was purposely not updating this thread because I am completely convinced that at the last second my glee would signal the beginning of a Duke Nukem Forever style delay. Once it's in my hands then all will be well. *fingers crossed*
Great, get on that. I'm looking forward to impressions of the PS2 build. I sure hope all these delays helped them polish this version to perfection.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Now shipping!!

Now shipping!!

Now shipping!!

Now shipping!!

Now shipping!!

Now shipping!!

Now shipping!!

Now shipping!!

:D :) :D :)

Emowii

Banned
Yeah, I just called my local EB and they said they would have had it today if I had pre-ordered. They said they had no pre-orders so they won't get any copies for about a week.

Thats fine by me as i'm gonna wait til I hear some very detailed hands on before I ditch my Wii version for this one. The PS2 version is gonna have to be perfect for me to make the switch. I want all the hit flash in there, and no crazy load times or antyhing like that.

2DMention

Banned
I have it on PSP, and am debating picking it up for the PS2. It would be nice to play on the big screen and also have decent controls. I already have 4+5.

Oneself

Holymotherofgod. I just called EB, supposed to be in tomorrow or friday. Called another VG store and said they're getting it as well tomorrow!!
Rejoice!
It's impossible!

Hopefully SNK didn't screw this version...

2DMention

Banned
Why would anybody buy 4+5 on ebay, especially those being the worst metal slugs? I think I'll have to get rid of 4+5 once I get the anthology.

Hopefully it will have the galleries and extra goodies of the PSP version.

MoxManiac

2DMention said:
Why would anybody buy 4+5 on ebay, especially those being the worst metal slugs? I think I'll have to get rid of 4+5 once I get the anthology.

Hopefully it will have the galleries and extra goodies of the PSP version.

?

Are people actually paying a good price for it?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Because not everyone is anal about the quality of each Metal Slug. They're both still 2 players, still have large difficult bosses to destroy, and I still can wreck shop with my rawket lawn chair. As long as the load times aren't bad, and controls are precise, I'm all good.

Also, not everyone has a PS2 or Wii. If you just have an Xbox, you're only able to get 3-5.

Hell, if you have a Neo Geo MVS or home system, you can only get 1-5 and X. 6 is still exclusive to this collection. I haven't even seen it in any arcade by me.

snorggy

anyone get their hands on this yet? i'm wondering how it stacks up to the wii version.

i dislike the control methods presented by the wii version so i'd like to trade versions if SNK didn't drop the ball on the PS2 version.

Top Bottom