• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug Anthology PS2--WTF!?

drohne said:
the thing with clark's special is that it can get you tons of bonus points (though i've yet to find out exactly how), and gives you a period of invincibility after you do it.

It doesn't save your highscores in game, so playing for points doesn't have much of a draw for me. I suppose the invincibility would come in handy later in the game though.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that's kinda lame. i'm playing the japanese standalone release, which does save your scores. i don't find the scoring system that appealing, though. i might look into it once i get better at survival.

To the people who complain about lag, are you new to the series? Is this your 1st time actually buying a metal slug game? Or 1st time playing in several years?

I wonder if perhaps some people just arent used to the fluidity of the movements and expect instant turns and not animated ones that take a second etc. MS was never that "tight".....

mackmoney

Nope, not new to the series. I've done firsthand comparisons while playing sections of Anthology on my TV, pausing, and then playing the same sections on my laptop via emulator, pausing that, going back to the PS2 version repeatedly. I've done this for Metal Slugs 1, 2, X, 3, and 4 and have noticed the lag on the PS2 version. Then I've done this comparison with the Saturn version of the first MS and notice the lag on the PS2 version as well. My comparisons are literally being made seconds apart after pausing one version.

The lag doesn't appear to be gamebreaking since many of you don't seem to notice it or mind, but I can in no way understand how someone would say the PS2 version is without lag.

mackmoney said:
The lag doesn't appear to be gamebreaking since many of you don't seem to notice it or mind, but I can in no way understand how someone would say the PS2 version is without lag.

Well said.

I'm not new to the series either. While I haven't played 4, 5 and 6 before the anthology, I spent a lot of time with 1, 2 and X over the years and I find the lag very annoying in such a game. Playing MS6 in the anthology and then going back to the older, emulated titles with the delayed response time is fairly jarring and for that reason alone I can't understand how people can believe there's no lag.

drohne said:
that's kinda lame. i'm playing the japanese standalone release, which does save your scores.

Well, what the anthology does, is it doesn't save the top 10 scores per game, but it keeps track of the one highest score per game and you can view that though the frontend menu. I don't believe it keeps tracks of your initials or anything though, which is lame if you have multiple players fighting for the top score.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
mackmoney said:
Nope, not new to the series. I've done firsthand comparisons while playing sections of Anthology on my TV, pausing, and then playing the same sections on my laptop via emulator, pausing that, going back to the PS2 version repeatedly. I've done this for Metal Slugs 1, 2, X, 3, and 4 and have noticed the lag on the PS2 version. Then I've done this comparison with the Saturn version of the first MS and notice the lag on the PS2 version as well. My comparisons are literally being made seconds apart after pausing one version.
I've done the same, but more focused on MS3. I can't tell any difference on my setup. Except for said issues with MS2, and maybe MS1... kinda iffy on that one, to be honest.

Playing MS6 in the anthology and then going back to the older, emulated titles with the delayed response time is fairly jarring and for that reason alone I can't understand how people can believe there's no lag.
One thing that does stand out to me are the new sound effects on MS6. Gunshots sound more sudden than they actually are.

dhowerter

mackmoney said:

Since The Mighty Schwein (an experienced Slug vet) already did a lovely comparison of the AES originals vs PS2 Metal Slug Anthology and found no controller lag .. one has to wonder if the emulator you are using simply is running the games FASTER / more smoothly than the ORIGINAL AES/ MVS games ;)

If your PC emulator were doing that, the PS2 MSA would "appear" to have lag when it actually doesn't because the emulated games would be going too fast O_O

Just a thought.

This may just be me, because Metal Slug 1 is my fave of the series, but the lag actually seems worse in that game than say, MS3 which seems to be the most popular.

I find myself running right off cliffs because of the jump activating too slowly and being shot in the face because of the duck not working in time more often in that than my limited time spent with MS3 in the collection.

For those of you not seeing any lag, do you find MS1 and MS3 respond the same?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
To be fair, I'm used to playing on a MAME emulated neogeo(hey, I own the games now) that is controlled by either a Dualshock 2 or Real Arcade Pro by means of a ps1-usb adaptor. It IS certainly possible that I'm just used to a level of input lag that is exactly the same as what's introduced in the ps2 version, so I don't detect anything out of the ordinary while others do.... but I doubt it. Even judging on pure animation reaction time the characters begin acting when I hit a button and not after. On the RAP it's pretty easy to tell because hitting a button hard or moving the stick outside the dead zone are both clearly audible.

Again, I'm not claiming this is the case for everyone, but that's how it seems to behave on my slim ps2(which is connected to a CRT set via composite).

In any event, it's kinda hard for me to be absolutely certain since the game I play the most is Metal Slug 2(I usually die for the first time halfway through mission 5 using the dualshock) and the emulation timing is significantly different whether or not there's lag.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I bought this game for the PSP today and I'm freaking in love with it, I've been a casual Metal Slug player since the first one (played the first two levels of all of them) so this is probably the one time it pays to not be hardcore about a franchise: I just don't notice the flaws which means I'm having a blast.

Emowii

Banned
Can anyone tell me if the PS2 image display is any different from the other versions? I already own the Wii version, but i've been desperately trying to figure out if the PS2 version might be a better option. Of course the input lag claims have scared me quite a bit.

I remember someone on another board saying something about the display being different on the PS2 version. Any truth to this? Any black bars where they shouldn't be?

mackmoney

dhowerter said:
Since The Mighty Schwein (an experienced Slug vet) already did a lovely comparison of the AES originals vs PS2 Metal Slug Anthology and found no controller lag .. one has to wonder if the emulator you are using simply is running the games FASTER / more smoothly than the ORIGINAL AES/ MVS games ;)

If your PC emulator were doing that, the PS2 MSA would "appear" to have lag when it actually doesn't because the emulated games would be going too fast O_O

Just a thought.

A possibility, but that would also have to apply to my comparions with the Sega Saturn version of MS1 and now my JPS2 MS3 comparison.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
alright -- i still haven't beaten the third boss of metal slug 6 on one credit, but i seriously think i can 1cc the game in a week or so. i now have a strategy for all of the 3rd boss's attacks -- it's just a matter of executing it properly. and i'm already pretty good at level 4 (except for the boss's ridiculous last pattern). once i get over those little bumps, it's just a matter of learning level 5. which has A ****ING AWFUL DIGGING MINIGAME SMACK IN THE MIDDLE, WHICH IS BOTH COMPLETELY UNFUN AND REALLY HARD, AND WHICH I CAN'T EVEN BRING MYSELF TO CREDIT-FEED THROUGH

through the first three levels it's shockingly good -- i was almost thinking 'best slug ever,' though that's probably just because i haven't played much 3 recently. levels 4 and 5 kind of drop the ball, though.

Daigoro

yup, one disc.

i tested the anthology games against the ps2 version of 4&5 and noticed no difference in response time (no lag). so im not seeing it.

the only thing that irks me about the anthology is the fact that the scores/initials arent saved. i dont like that very much.

but i am happy to leagally own perfectly playable versions of all the MS games. great series.

also i dont get the hate with 4. i think its fantastic. the first boss alone (compaired to the first boss in 5 wtf) is a great boss, epic and hhuge and well drawn. its leagues better than 5, and while i think 5 is lackluster, i still pop it in every once in awhile. (1-3 still rule though).

Top Bottom