• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Spartan Assault confirmed for Windows Phone 8 - Developed by Vanguard Games

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gotta keep going forward with the plan and make a game around one of the worst additions to Halo yet.

I also like how this burns their Halo Wars fans by not sticking it up on XBLA.

edit: Okay, it's not an RTS. Nevermind.

LQX

then no one would have bought an xbox, everyone would have then complained that the xbox has "no exclusives" and that they'll just wait for the PC ports. MS gave up fighting for PC gaming market long ago, they want the livingroom instead.

Give me break, I bet you anything most people do not buy a XBox 360 for exclusives. And again, that's what makes their stance on PC gaming even more ridiculous, many of their "exclusives" outside of Halo and Forza comes to the PC.

Heretic

400.jpg

So right next to Alan Wake 2 :'(

The game looks rad and I really want to play it.

That being said, I think it's gonna flop hard.

People tend not to buy those super complex games on mobile because using the touch screen is a bitch. That's why the most succesful mobile games are super simple in gameplay.

So you're limiting yourself to a pool of people already owning windows 8 phones, which isn't the biggest install base... and even then the only ones of those that will drop 7 bucks on a mobile game will be hardcore halo fans, and that's an even smaller selection.

Most people I know either don't have Windows 8, or got rid of it for 7 because its trash. They might be able to get some people here but who knows.

an OS is expensive to get. So is a new phone. And people who are content with their android and ios devices aren't going to drop hundred+ buckaroos just to play a little Halo mobile game.

It's setting itself up for failure just like Halo 2 VISTA did when it came out. Don't limit your install base ya dingus's

Should have been a XBLA game. I would have bought it.

Anecdotal. Most of my close friends use Windows Phones. And most of them use Windows 8 if not a Mac. You want Halo? Get a Microsoft device. Looks like a lot of Windows Phone fans are pretty stoked about this, we've been asking for a mobile Halo title since Windows Phone 7 came out in 2009 with Xbox Live games. Just look at the comments on this article: http://www.wpcentral.com/halo-spartan-assault-announced

Lot's of happy WP8 users.

RT and Pro Surfaces (and Win 8/Win 8 tablets, period) and Win 8 phones.

Great news for a Surface RT/Lumia owner. I'll pick it up two times for sure.

Well, this looks pretty damn awesome. Too bad I have an Android phone (that I bought yesterday) and a Macbook. =(

I really hope this gets released on other phone platforms, or XBLA. Looks like it really will be a lot of fun to play, and the environments and concept looks awesome.

It is a dual stick shooter. The controls work really well - it detects if your thumbs are 'drifting' and keeps the control scheme centered to accomodate drift. Hard to explain, but it just works. You do things like double tap to theow grenades, board vehicles etc. Also supports M/k and yes there will be joypad support shortly after launch.

Also kind of weird that people are surprised we are supporting our own platforms first.

Thank you, based Frank.

JaggedSac

Frankie, you may have answered this already, but is it buy once play on all platforms? And how does this perform on the Surface RT? mine struggles with some games.

Looks pretty damn amazing. I've always been excited for the remakes of classic games, but this genuinely looks like a truly incredible cell phone title. 343 doing amazing work.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So, no support for phone OSes anyone uses, nor any support for any computer OS anyone uses (or, more to the point, availability outside of a web store that no-one uses). Good luck with that, Microsoft.
If you look at the usage percentage of W8 (around 4.2%) and then multiply it by the 1.4 billion or so PCs out there you get about 58 million. I'd say that is a good enough market to build a game for.

chupon

I'll probably get this on Windows 8 as I actually have that. My phone is Windows 7 and I only got it for games, I don't have a plan. If I were to ever get a Windows Phone 8 device the used price market would have to drop to justify since I don't use it as a phone.

I'll probably get this on Windows 8 as I actually have that. My phone is Windows 7 and I only got it for games, I don't have a plan. If I were to ever get a Windows Phone 8 device the used price market would have to drop to justify since I don't use it as a phone.

Not sure if it will support 512MB devices, but the Lumia 620 is super cheap and a great phone.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I highly doubt it will be on 360 since this is running on WinRT. Xbox One is more likely.

The WPCentral article states that it will run on 512MB devices. Maybe Frank can confirm this? Also the Lumia 520 can be had for $150 in the US and Canada.

Yes, forgot about the 520, same internal hardware as the 620, I believe, so performance should be equivalent.

Kinyou

Looks like they took the Halo Wars Engine and turned it into a top down shooter. Not expecting much from this

Vitacat

Looks good. Price is good as well.

I'll be getting a Win 8 Haswell based notebook in a couple of months, so this would be good for that.

TCKaos

So I'm assuming this is in no way compatible with Windows 7?

Bummer. The only person I know with a Windows phone is my mom.

Doodis

:(

The first Halo game I won't be able to play because I don't own the platforms. Hell, I even played the dumb 7-11 tie-in game for iOS.

Top Bottom