• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Just a question, should I watch the Evangelion movies if I haven't watched the series? are they remakes or something else entirely?

Something else entirely. Watch the series first, then End of Evangelion.

Then watch the first two Rebuild movies.

Then watch 3.33 after a lot of alcohol.

Narag

Just a question, should I watch the Evangelion movies if I haven't watched the series? are they remakes or something else entirely?

TV + EoE then wait until the fourth movie comes out so brave souls can send word back whether or not the path is safe. Outlook is grim at the moment.

CorvoSol

This show is very anti-DTL.

Stick with it though. The last few episodes are really good and get focused back on Goh and Anna and up the plot stakes.

I hope so, 'cuz its sorta floundering to me.

Sword Art Online 10

First line of the episode: "Kirito, if you want her, take her with your blade." BWAHAHAHA. Oh man, you know, I'm not one to normally care about the cries of sexism in stories about boy heroes rescuing damsels in distress, but seeing as how Asuna isn't in distress and can handle herself just fine, YE GODS IS THIS PLOT SEXIST.

OR YOU COULD JUST LEAVE ASUNA. IT'S A GUILD IN AN RPG. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FUCKING STAY THERE. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh this is so dumb.

Whaaaaat!? You mean I get to actually WATCH Kirito fight this guy and not just hear about it afterward? I DID NOT KNOW THERE WERE ACTION SEQUENCES IN SAO. Welp. That was short-lived, and also dumb. Why did he even win? Did he cheat?

OR DID HE BEAT?

Nope. No matter how many times it isn't explained, I cannot understand Kirito's "I SHOULD HAVE TOLD THEM MY LEVEL" guilt. It makes no sense at all. It's super stupid. But then, so is being a beater. It's beyond dumb, really. "If I'd told them I was a beater I could have warned them about a super obvious trap I didn't know about either!" That's how dumb this is.

It's stupid as hell.

You mean like how you protected him by letting him duel so you could leave your own guild instead of doing that yourself because fuck this whole situation is too stupid for proper descriptive sentences anymore.

Fuck Kirito. Fuck Asuna. Where the hell is Klein?

So uh, Asuna's entire guild is made up of grown men. Meaning this whole thing was about grown men beating up a little boy so that they could keep their little girl. This whole affair is creepy as fuck. That's reading too much into it, but it is.

"Today, I'm going to try to get you killed, so I'm gonna pair you up with a guy who hates your guts and also take away your means of escape. This is definitely not a trap."

Kay, so you DEFINITELY feel pain in SAO. Cuz that guy was definitely in pain, and being scared doesn't make you shout at the exact moment of a stab like Kirito just did. So basically the rules aren't, but hey, we all saw this coming, didn't we? Speaking of breaking the rules, pretty sure you shouldn't be able to move your arms if you're paralyzed. And losing a hand does no damage to Kirito at all. Oh and also HE JUST FUCKING USED MAGIC.

FUCK THE RULES. FUCK THE RULES. HE'S A WIZARD HARRY FUCK THE RULES.

Kirito's reaction to
killing someone for the first time and also using fucking magic? "GIRL LET'S HAVE SEX TONIGHT."

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY GOD IS IT REALLY HAPPENING? NO. NO IT ISN'T. YOU THINK THIS IS ANOTHER CURRENTLY AIRING SHOW SPOILER
VALVRAVE
OR SOMETHING?
BTW, unless I'm mistaken, Asuna just broke the rules by being able to hurt Kirito in her house.

Man, can you imagine explaining this to your mom after you get out "Mom I got digital married to a girl." Fucking rehab is gonna be a bitch, I tells ya.

UUUUUH WHY HAVEN'T YOU WATCHED THE SERIES YET?

Do it now. Tonight. Right now.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I hope so, 'cuz its sorta floundering to me.

It will. I can't remember exactly when (cause it does drag around the secondary character for the most part, I won't fight you on that) but they do intro I pretty big issue pretty soon (they may have hinted at it slightly already or will soon).

CorvoSol

This is my SAO experience distilled to its essence.

A show focusing on Klein would have been fine. He's a funny guy who is probably having hilarious adventures with his friends. Probably has a violent tsundere girlfriend, too.

It will. I can't remember exactly when (cause it does drag around the secondary character for the most part, I won't fight you on that) but they do intro I pretty big issue pretty soon (they may have hinted at it slightly already or will soon).

There's a disease going on in the background, but mostly it is "HERE IS A RELATIONSHIP. PRAY IT IS NOT THE INCEST ONE AGAIN." Lot of forbidden love in this show.

Lol Corvo, what should I use in lieu of alchohol

I use my brother or my friends, but I find that W.o.W. approved alternatives are sugar or sleep deprivation. I don't do E-Drinks, but maybe that?

Also add Lisbest in there.
Fuck that show. Fuck it fuck it fuck itttttt

You know, she was only in like, one episode so far, and I don't really have any feels toward her, although her confession as they were in the air, falling was straight out of a Miyazaki movie.

You know who else deserves some screen time? Fucking Khan Basilio. Why doesn't the brother get more air time?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
There's a disease going on in the background, but mostly it is "HERE IS A RELATIONSHIP. PRAY IT IS NOT THE INCEST ONE AGAIN." Lot of forbidden love in this show.

Ah okay. I have an idea where you're at but I'm not sure what else has been revealed about it.

But yeah, that why I always thought it was odd there wasn't a yaoi team or even just a "brothers in arms" kind of team.

cajunator

Banned
A show focusing on Klein would have been fine. He's a funny guy who is probably having hilarious adventures with his friends. Probably has a violent tsundere girlfriend, too.

I use my brother or my friends, but I find that W.o.W. approved alternatives are sugar or sleep deprivation. I don't do E-Drinks, but maybe that?

You know, she was only in like, one episode so far, and I don't really have any feels toward her, although her confession as they were in the air, falling was straight out of a Miyazaki movie.

You know who else deserves some screen time? Fucking Khan Basilio. Why doesn't the brother get more air time?

Youre going to be raging pretty shortly.
well, more than now.

CorvoSol

Youre going to be raging pretty shortly.
well, more than now.

I just feel that this entire scenario was super contrived and sexist. Why couldn't Asuna leave her guild of her own volition? Why did KIRITO have to duel for her to leave? She couldn't do it herself? Why did she have to duel to leave? She wasn't the property of the guild. She should be allowed to just walk away. This nonsense amounted to slavery and the further enslavement of Kirito.

What's more is that, from the sound of the end of the episode, they're RUNNING AWAY ANYWAY so WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THIS EPISODE if not to set up a stupid, sexist situation in which Kirito had to defend the honor of a girl who ought to be capable of doing it herself?

This isn't Link fighting Ganon to save Zelda. This is goddamn Mario fighting Luigi to save fucking Samus Aran. It makes no sense.

Ah yes, sleep deprivation
it is not requisite that a man should watch anime faster than he has strength

Looks like I'll be making runs down to Ramire's near Broulims for some super spicy burritos

cajunator

Banned
I just feel that this entire scenario was super contrived and sexist. Why couldn't Asuna leave her guild of her own volition? Why did KIRITO have to duel for her to leave? She couldn't do it herself? Why did she have to duel to leave? She wasn't the property of the guild. She should be allowed to just walk away. This nonsense amounted to slavery and the further enslavement of Kirito.

What's more is that, from the sound of the end of the episode, they're RUNNING AWAY ANYWAY so WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THIS EPISODE if not to set up a stupid, sexist situation in which Kirito had to defend the honor of a girl who ought to be capable of doing it herself?

This isn't Link fighting Ganon to save Zelda. This is goddamn Mario fighting Luigi to save fucking Samus Aran. It makes no sense.

Its a fucking male hero power fantasy. Its terrible in every way and I say that having watched absolutely terrible anime and loving it. SAO is fucking garbage.

CorvoSol

Ah yes, sleep deprivation
it is not requisite that a man should watch anime faster than he has strength

Looks like I'll be making runs down to Ramirez near Broulims for some super spicy burritos

Oh no, don't go to Ramirez' I hear that place is bad. The Taco Bus out by the roundabout where the Subway is down the hill from the I-Center is the best taco place in town now that the little stand by Broulim's is gone.

Also, while you are near Broulim's go in, buy 2 liters of Guarana and drink it for me. Freaking love that stuff.

Its a fucking male hero power fantasy. Its terrible in every way and I say that having watched absolutely terrible anime and loving it. SAO is fucking garbage.

But at least they could try to make it make sense! If Asuna were helpless or captive, I'd get it. But this is just dumb. I mean, in Slayers NEXT, Gourry is super badass and they SHOW YOU this
after Phibrizzo captures him
, but he still needs Lina to bail him out because
Phibrizzo is super freaking OP.

Oh no, don't go to Ramirez' I hear that place is bad. The Taco Bus out by the roundabout where the Subway is down the hill from the I-Center is the best taco place in town now that the little stand by Broulim's is gone.

Also, while you are near Broulim's go in, buy 2 liters of Guarana and drink it for me. Freaking love that stuff.

Yeah Ramire's sucks major ass. But it's like the only place open at 2 AM. The Taco Bus moved by the Subway? no wonder I couldn't find it!

2 liters of guarana. gotcha. Will post an animeGAF styled review tomorrow when Broulim's opens up

CorvoSol

Yeah Ramire's sucks major ass. But it's like the only place open at 2 AM. The Taco Bus moved by the Subway? no wonder I couldn't find it!

2 liters of guarana. gotcha. Will post an animeGAF styled review tomorrow when Broulim's opens up

I didn't know anything was open at 2 AM. Hey what is town like in the summer? Because I'm there in the winter and the place is a miserable, frozen wasteland. I hear its nice there in the summer though.

I didn't know anything was open at 2 AM. Hey what is town like in the summer? Because I'm there in the winter and the place is a miserable, frozen wasteland. I hear its nice there in the summer though.
Yeah it's pretty nice in the summer. Except most of the buildings and apartments around here don't have AC. So it gets kinda hot. Better than dying of hypothermia, though.

What place is this?
A town of beginnings. Nothing ever happens here. Heroes begin their journey to fame from here.

Rexburg, Idaho

Gurren Lagann 01-02

Everyone looks like they're out paintballing or something. Yoko breast physics. Mmmhmm.

Oh my gosh the ED. That's totally "Let's Fighting Love" from South Park.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah it's pretty nice in the summer. Except most of the buildings and apartments around here don't have AC. So it gets kinda hot. Better than dying of hypothermia, though.

A town of beginnings. Nothing ever happens here. Heroes begin their journey to fame from here.

Rexburg, Idaho

How big is it? Ive never heard of anyone from Idaho before and now both you and Corvy kun seem to know the same town there.

CorvoSol

What place is this?

I don't know whether or not Peaceiscloser is comfortable disclosing the location, so I'll just lend credibility to the tale. We both attend the same college in a small town in Idaho. Just that our schedules don't quite match up. Although I think both of us should be there in the Fall?

Slayers TRY 3

CHOCOBO! So in this episode Filia represents every younger sibling ever who has grown exasperated waiting for their sibling to get the hell on with the story mode. Zel's doing personal side quests, Amelia's chatting up NPCs, and Lina and Gourry are wasting time.

Oh, and I guess Gaav either had a son or just a servant with a suspiciously son-like name. Also ten bucks says that Filia and Xellos used to date.

sonicmj1

Sword Art Online 9

You know what would make this show more cool? If Kirito actually was cheating. If he had hacked the game to grant him magic. Instead its just Kirito being so damn good at a this game that he can kill a boss that just wiped out a high level party.

You really think that a 16 year old kid could hack a game made by a genius programmer so intelligent that nobody in the entire world can find a way around his firewall scheme?

Don't be ridiculous. That'd never happen.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You really think that a 16 year old kid could hack a game made by a genius programmer so intelligent that nobody in the entire world can find a way around his firewall scheme?

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

CorvoSol

Don't forget the part where he also eludes world police forces/intelligence agencies for two years.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know whether or not Peaceiscloser is comfortable disclosing the location, so I'll just lend credibility to the tale. We both attend the same college in a small town in Idaho. Just that our schedules don't quite match up. Although I think both of us should be there in the Fall?

Slayers TRY 3

CHOCOBO! So in this episode Filia represents every younger sibling ever who has grown exasperated waiting for their sibling to get the hell on with the story mode. Zel's doing personal side quests, Amelia's chatting up NPCs, and Lina and Gourry are wasting time.

Oh, and I guess Gaav either had a son or just a servant with a suspiciously son-like name. Also ten bucks says that Filia and Xellos used to date.

He already did heehee. I even looked up where Ramire's is out of curiosity. I like to learn about, well, everything. What other cities are like, what people like to do there, customs and such. Its interesting. I know very little about Idaho, although I bought a book with facts about all 50 states because I just want to knowwwwwww.

Sword Art Online in a nutshell

Navi saves the day

He already did heehee. I even looked up where Ramire's is out of curiosity. I like to learn about, well, everything. What other cities are like, what people like to do there, customs and such. Its interesting. I know very little about Idaho, although I bought a book with facts about all 50 states because I just want to knowwwwwww.

I expected this.

But I wasn't ready.

cajunator

Banned
Sword Art Online in a nutshell

Navi saves the day

I expected this.

But I wasn't ready.

No worries. Not gonna stalk you!
Is it fun there?
Whats there to do?

Also the little fairy girl in SAO is adorable but she probably just gets underappreciated like the rest of the interesting cast.

CorvoSol

No worries. Not gonna stalk you!
Is it fun there?
Whats there to do?

Also the little fairy girl in SAO is adorable but she probably just gets underappreciated like the rest of the interesting cast.

NOTHING. In my first semester I expended every reasonable idea on what to do with a girl on a date. If I ever find one who is more fun, then I'll probably get into trouble. Because aside from getting into trouble in a town where lobbing snowballs is illegal, there's literally nothing to do.

Don't go bowling. Every woman in town has been bowling so much she's sick of the sound of pins falling. Miniature golf is a worse idea still. Movies only get you so far, and while I appreciate outdoor activities, Winter in town is literally so cold yo balls'll freeze off.

Cain't do nothing.

cajunator

Banned
NOTHING. In my first semester I expended every reasonable idea on what to do with a girl on a date. If I ever find one who is more fun, then I'll probably get into trouble. Because aside from getting into trouble in a town where lobbing snowballs is illegal, there's literally nothing to do.

Don't go bowling. Every woman in town has been bowling so much she's sick of the sound of pins falling. Miniature golf is a worse idea still. Movies only get you so far, and while I appreciate outdoor activities, Winter in town is literally so cold yo balls'll freeze off.

Cain't do nothing.

This makes me love my state and city even more. As much of a corrupt craphole as parts of it can be, college students here have plenty to do.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

iPYmAPudK6vLh.png

CorvoSol

This makes me love my state and city even more. As much of a corrupt craphole as parts of it can be, college students here have plenty to do.

I enjoy coming home to my state because I can go hiking or visit the waterfront. I like my school a lot, but I wouldn't live there after graduation.

I enjoy coming home to my state because I can go hiking or visit the waterfront. I like my school a lot, but I wouldn't live there after graduation.

That's for sure. Even Salt Lake City is 10,000 times more exciting.

I'm just glad I can buy fresh calamari here. Will be eating some ika musume soon ehehehehe

Hidamari Sketch 02

Yuno butt shot. Thanks for getting the fanservice out of the picture first thing, SHAFT.

To be completely honest I'm getting a little distracted watching this. I'm glad wideface exists or else I wouldn't really be enjoying this as much.

cajunator

Banned
Hidamari Sketch 02

Yuno butt shot. Thanks for getting the fanservice out of the picture first thing, SHAFT.

To be completely honest I'm getting a little distracted watching this. I'm glad wideface exists or else I wouldn't really be enjoying this as much.

Gotta watch it on a widescreen TV IN widescreen for best effect. I recommend 50+. Amazing experience.

jgminto

Karneval 3 & 4

This show is...weird. The tone is all over the place. It has one of the most intensely sweet visual styles and characters I have ever seen but
then it goes into drugged slaves and murder.
What the heck? I'I have no idea what it's going for. I'm getting Yamibou vibes from this, although I feel there is more of a story here and it isn't making me want to smash my fucking head on a desk in frustration. There's also the delicious fujoshi bait, mighty fine. I'll keep going, I want to see where this goes. Pretty sure there are only three other people in here watching it.

Lucky Star 03

Oh hey I've never looked at the OP lyrics before -- wow they make no sense okay

Wow this show feels so normal and mundane compared to Hidamari Sketch. Looool I have chosen the correct hobby

You have problems, honey. I hope your christian soul will not burn in the hell now after 1s of nothing.

Oh pff, I just thought it was funny there was a shot of Yuno's butt just because. Ume Aoki's awesome for that.

cajunator

Banned
Lucky Star 03

Oh hey I've never looked at the OP lyrics before -- wow they make no sense okay

Wow this show feels so normal and mundane compared to Hidamari Sketch. Looool I have chosen the correct hobby

Oh pff, I just thought it was funny there was a shot of Yuno's butt just because. Ume Aoki's awesome for that.

the BEST hobby.

CorvoSol

Definitely Not Gao Gai Gar In Spite of Papillon 3
Revolutionary Girl Utena 3

So uh, if Utena is engaged to this mysterious Prince, can she really also be engaged to Papillon? Also, Utena's declaration that she is a "totally normal girl" who wants a "totally normal boy" is just about as "Methinks the lady doth protest too much" as it gets.

No way in hell is a guy with mid-back length bright red hair a totally normal boy. Also creepy hair fondling. He has the ring 'cuz he's a wraith, Utena! Don't you get it? You and Rose Bride Gamgee are gonna have to high tail it to Mordor if you want to get away from this.

Egg Shells are the new oranges are the new potatoes are the new tomatoes are oranges are tomatoes are egg shells. Also whycome the Student Council Free Love Cult is so concerned with bringing the Nintendo Revolution to the world?

Is it just because this school seems to be a freaky cult school, or is everyone in this show not named Wakaba SUPER suspicious? Greek Chorus of the damned. Hey what if Papillon has prosopagnosia? And everybody just stands and stares when the girl is half naked? Goddamn school of jerkasses. Holy cow. Outside Wakaba and Utena is there a decent human being in this school?

Utena wore her uniform with shoulder pads underneath her dress without shoulders. How is that even physically possible? Nevermind she can turn tablecloth into a form fitting dress. You know who else can turn a length of cloth into a form fitting night dress?

DOMON KASSHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 2 1

kingdoms21.jpg

Take away the bad CG (or relegate it to the background), significantly increase both the quantity and quality of the traditional animation and what you end up with is something that's actually pretty fun to watch. The first episode of this second season to the rather infamous Kingdom starts things off with a one-year timeskip and spends most of its time reintroducing old (and some new) characters and flashing back to major events towards the end of the series but that didn't stop it from setting up for some serious shit to go down in the coming eps. I actually found it funny that a lot of the flashbacks were either completely reanimated or had tradition animation superimposed over the CG making it look much better than I remembered. I wonder if they made any of these changes for the home releases (well, if there was any to begin with).

The OP & ED songs are pretty bad though the OP had some decent bits of animation in it. Can't say the same for the ED however as that was mostly full of panning still and the odd shots of war flags fluttering.

Genuinely looking forward to the next episode and I'll have to check out the manga to see if there was anything not covered in the timeskip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom